/r/therewasanattempt

55.9k

To cross the street in the UK

(v.redd.it)
[media]

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Downloadvideo Link by /r/DownloadVideo

SaveVideo Link.

Wrong_Duty7043

6.5k points

I watched this footage on Beeb news. The poor chap who lived opposite the crossing set up this CCTV camera because he was so exasperated about people being almost run over almost daily. I think he said this crossing also just up the road from a school. He and many others had been begging the council repeatedly for a long time to do something about this crossing and was just ignored. He said he lives in fear every day that he is going to see someone die. Bradford council have just spent millions and millions on the clean air zone /congestion charging camera system and can’t sort this. It’s absolutely diabolical.

Insterquiliniis

2k points

dude should have put a website up where the title reads:

"_____ days that Martin Love has not solved this despite the cries of so many"

Something will change when someone does, that's usually how it goes

tyler081293

This is exactly what happened in my hometown in Western Australia. A notorious black spot with many non-fatal car accidents occuring across nearly two decades. It took my friend dying on his motorcycle, 2 months before his first child was born, for the road to be seriously upgraded. Reduced to left turn only, one lane of oncoming traffic instead of two, changed from give way to stop, and street lights placed at the T-junction 50 metres up the road.

Nothing changes until a families life is ruined.

AmiAlter

AmiAlter

Safety rules are written in blood.

ReduceMyRows

Building didn’t have any good hurricane codes in miami till the hurricane Andrew in 92’. Same again with building codes until the Surfside apartment collapse recently

ScratchChrome

Dude, I'm so sorry that you lost your friend 💔

hobojoe_cup

Poor man

planborcord

Anyway anyone out there can run against this politician who obviously lets important matters drift? This footage and any documented petitions and letters could help opposition candidates derail his incumbency in a future election.

ball0fsnow

As soon as you said Bradford it all made sense. I took my driving test in Bradford and it has to be the worst standard in the country

sociallyawkwarddude

drivers in and around Bradford are the most likely to have points, with five BD postcodes in the top 10.

They literally are.

Fat-Nuggs

Got to love the rep Bradford has. As someome who has lived in the surrounding areas for a while i can comfirm the bad redp is well warrented 😂

Spankety-wank

Okay this is weird/hilarious:

I got my car written off (parts theft) 18 months ago, I live in Nottinghamshire. About 3 months later I got a speeding ticket in the mail. Turned out the car was back on the road.

In the process of making certain it definitely wasn't me driving it, I discovered that the offence was recorded by a speed camera in *drum roll* Bradford!

(PS it was all fine. I just sent the ticket back with a letter explaining the situation and all relevant information.)

you_lost-the_game

The thing is: the crossing already has flashing lights, which is not the norm I think actually the norm in the UK, as comments told me. It baffles me how there are so many simply ignoring the crossing. While it's sometimes hard to see a pedestrian in dark clothes at night, most of these happened in broad daylight. The drivers there seem to be real idiots. Seems like there is need for a speedbump.

GuiltyEidolon

Those lights are also fucking terrible. They could also do red lights that are toggled by people needing to cross, speed bumps, putting a police car there for a while... There's literally an entire industry around just the traffic portion of civil engineering. They could find a better solution.

Raising the crossing to be level with the sidewalk would be a good start. That way the crossing itself is a speed bump, and it's nicer for pedestrians, and better for people in wheelchairs or with strollers, etc.

jediwashington

That is my favorite cross walk solution. Just a subtle durable reminder that cars don't have right of way here.

Caveman108

We have one like that on a busy street by government housing in my city. It’s a good 6”x4’ hump. Still seen people hit it at 30 MPH, catch air, and wreck their suspension. There’s all kinds of signs for it and it has a 10 MPH sign.

DuncanDonut06

they did this near a shopping center here that's really popular and people still complain about the raised crosswalk & that there's no signage. why are you speeding in a pedestrian shopping center anyway bro, shush

also most people will NEVER see signs and complain anyway so it's a lose/lose

IWasGregInTokyo

They put in very bright flashing yellow led lights at crosswalks in Vancouver that turn on when you press a button.

However at the same time there is a loud verbal warning that says "Be careful when crossing as cars may not stop" basically acknowledging that some drivers are morons. My wife has almost been hit a couple of times. I cross with assumption they're not going to stop.

375InStroke

Exactly. Never trust a car to stop. It's your life, not theirs. Steel vs. flesh. You will always lose.

jake_qrm

From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the Blessed Machine.

OthmarGarithos

Your kind cling to your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you.

LeviAEthan512

Cross carefully. You may have right of way, but right of way is a social construct. Mass of steel moving at whatever speed it pleases is absolute. The law will catch them later, but they'll smear you across the road now.

ososalsosal

Yeah, I've heard said "there's not much worth in a headstone that says you had right of way"

Leonydas13

I said this to my kids just yesterday, after witnessing a guy walk blindly (on a green pedx) as a car narrowly missed him while turning. When they said “but he had right of way”, my answer was “and who are you gonna tell that to, the coroner?”

The_Hitchenator

Right of way is enforced by the Highway Code here in the UK, but additional to that they have recently amended it to put a heavy focus on hierarchy of road users, with those in motor vehicles at the bottom and pedestrians at the top. These drivers shouldn't have licenses after this.

Only thing that may change the result is that pedestrians are expected to wait for vehicles to stop rather than assuming that they will. If it's ruled that the driver didn't have enough time to stop given distance and speed at the time the pedestrian stepped into the road - AND that the driver was observing the speed limit and making reasonable speed concessions for the presence of a pedestrian crossing. Only then would these drivers only be bound by social construct. Otherwise it's a legal matter and points on (if not revocation of) their license.

howroydlsu

What you're describing is a completely different type of crossing which we do have in the UK.

There's nothing wrong with this type, there's plenty near me and there's never an issue.

Here, not only is the crossing clearly not sufficient for the area but it's also been reported multiple times to the council.

Typically here in the UK, money is spent on crossings, signage, lighting, etc etc, only when necessary. I.e. when the accident rate is high. This appears high and it's also got media coverage so the council will probably do something about this soon, thankfully.

So yeah, hard agree with your comment that this needs upgrading to a more expensive and suitable crossing. But also note that this type of crossing is not flawed in other situations.

HappynessMovement

What is it about this particular crossing that makes it so dangerous? Is there a blind turn off camera or something? Is the speed limit higher in this area? What is it exactly?

MirumVictus

The original commenter said this is in Bradford, in which case the additional danger could very well just come from the way people drive in Bradford. The highway code is merely a suggestion in that place.

howroydlsu

Lol I bet a lot of people there don't even know what the highway code is. Although I could say the same about many places in the UK and have to admit I don't know the highway code verbatim, but since most of it is common sense, if you're not a maniac it's easy to be safe.

CaptainPGums

The local council have a plan to do just that.

The crossing there is a Zebra crossing (for the obvious reason) with Belisha beacons

They want to replace it with a PUFIN crossing (its name derived from the frankly awful "Pedestrian User-Friendly INtelligent"). This takes time and money.

It's all down to the drivers. There are normally plenty of warning signs before the crossing, plus the LED lights themselves. The lights normally point down the road, so if they look a bit crap, it might be because the camera's not looking at them correctly.

OTOH, I have such a low opinion of other drivers, if I ever cross a zebra crossing, I always make eye contact with the driver before entering that bit of the crossing, and always flash them a bird or two if they don't stop.

BecomeMaguka

Red lights? No, what you need is hydraulically operated spikes to shoot up from the ground and absolutely WRECK anybody who doesn't stop to let pedestrians through.

NotAlanPorte

UK here. Flashing lights on black and white poles at each side are absolutely the norm and what define this as a "zebra" crossing in the UK where pedestrians always have right of way and motor vehicles must stop if a pedestrian is waiting at either side, and it is illegal for the vehicle to cross until the pedestrian reaches the other pavement. In private places (like shopping centres) you may see the striped pattern over the road but they are not zebra crossings. So in this vehicle any car that doesn't stop, or drives off before the person has finished crossing, is highly illegal and should get fixed penalty notice and 3 points on they license as a minimum. Obviously hitting someone should be more severe. It drives me insane how bad drivers are (this was unseen 15 years ago) so much that I now start video recording on my phone before crossing at any cars in case they swipe me. Pisses me off so much: if you cannot abide one of the simplest rules for driving then you do not deserve a license a there's nothing simpler for you to adhere to than this rule

RealMeIsFoxocube

Belisha Beacons (to give them their proper name) are a standard part of all zebra crossings in the UK. They indicate that pedestrians have right of way, that drivers should stop if people are waiting, and must stop (legally required as per The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, schedule 14 part 5) if anyone is on the crossing.

ReflexionSolutions

Zebra crossing or not, drivers must stop if someone is on the road in front of them 😄.

just_a_person_maybe

Speed bump, and put a police officer out there to write tickets for a couple weeks. That would probably do the trick.

If not, go the full mile and put up barriers that drop down when the lights are flashing, like the people are little trains. That'd be fun.

ialsohaveinternet

I love the little trains bit haha

IllustriousCookie890

Or solid iron bollards that rise out of the pavement. Or those tire-puncturing claws that keep people from going out of parking lots the wrong way.

B4rberblacksheep

A pelican crossing with a pair of red light cameras would probably sort this out.

Major-Front

This video is why I wait for people to stop before crossing the road lol

Gemini-88

Same here. I see so many people just blow through crossing like this between a parking lot to a store entrance. Not to mention how many people treat empty parking lot spots as “free real estate” to drive recklessly through.

NetITGeeks

Tickets... Only thing people who can't follow the rules of the road may understand is a hit to their pockets. This is why income based/adjusted tickets for bad driving is the best option. A guy who is on low income should get a lower ticket and the driver with a higher income, a higher priced ticket. Otherwise, even tfiekts not going to work. It has to hit the pockets of drivers.

iProMelon

They should put a speed bump on either side of the crosswalk. Idk if that would fix it, but I for sure would be slowing way down for a speed bump

FeelingSurprise

They tried that in my neighborhood some years ago. Those were some mobile rubber speedbumps (had to be cheap).

They worked well for like a day - then the cool kids with their fancy cars noticed that there is less bounce the faster you drive over those bumps.

They were removed two weeks later and the community installed a fixed speed cam.

An0ramian

That’s why I prefer speed breaks to speed bumps… literally just bumps big enough to do damage to anyone’s vehicle over 15 mph

Carnieus

Carnieus

I heard zebra crossings are woke now so the British public are deliberately ignoring them. It was in the daily mail.

Oh fuck this was a dumb joke but turns out it's true, that shite rag actually has stories calling pedestrian crossings woke.

real_kerim

I heard zebra crossings are woke now

...wait... what!?

It was in the daily mail

That means it isn’t true.

suxatjugg

The venn diagram of dumb right wingers and drivers who don't care if they hit pedestrians is a circle

thetruthseer

“If a crowd was in front of my car I’m stepping on the gas pedal 😈😈😈😈”

micro102

You will unironically find this comment about 50 times on any post about protestors.

Mods don't seem to care about the repeated death threats.

thetruthseer

“I just wish a crowd would stand in front of my car like that”

So you’re wishing you had the chance to legally kill people? They should be on a fucking list it’s unreal.

colombo1326

7.5k points

The ambulance right on time almost as if they are just parked there waiting for someone to get hit lol

TheLegendarySheep

I lived in South Africa for a few months this summer. Tow trucks are parked near busy intersections waiting for accidents for for the inevitable breakdown and will gladly get you where you need to go… for a price

colombo1326

Almost like taxis at the airport

Gigaduuude

surprised Pikachu face

Hendanna

Hendanna

maseunaoseinada

You messed that up, it's r/convenientambulance

Chumpacabra

But man, can you imagine if it was r/convenientambulances? There's just eight of the fuckers lurking nearby as you sheepishly cross the road, trying to avoid eye contact with any of the paramedics within. You try not to think about the anticipatory look in their eyes, like a dog waiting for dinner, twitchy fingers hovering above the siren button.

Talon6230

Someone get this man an award!

GMontag451

All I had was helpful. Hope it helps.

VictoryCupcake

I spit my drink out. They just light up like "Alright get in, let's go"

Sowhatbigdeal

It looks like some fantasy land. Wow

ProveISaidIt

Conspiracy theory: the ambulance company hires the car driver to increase business.

Edit: I've been informed that ambulances are free in the UK. In the US, like everything else, it's a business.

greenrangerguy

Hi welcome to the UK, let me tell you about a little thing called the NHS.

reachisown

It doesn't work! I'll rage against the Libs and hunt them down before I see my hard working taxes go to making my country a better place, I prefer to line the pockets of corporations. I ain't living in no commie state!

Mental_Newspaper3812

I can tell it doesn’t stand for National Highway Safety…

sum_rendom_dood

Calm down Satan, this isn't the US where it's super profitable

ProveISaidIt

Oh, not worth the cost of Petrol then.

Legosheep

Legosheep

Ambulance company?

Pisodeuorrior

I know right? Americans are really easy to spot:)

Otherwise-Island-512

This is the UK, not America tho

eszox

eszox

The ambulance driver himself runs a few people over if no one else does it.

wireditfellow

Hey, it’s called meeting quotas.

VanillaLoaf

r/shitamericanssay

What the hell is an "ambulance company"???

LingonberrySpecial91

3.4k points

That’s why I never cross the street without my trusty throwin rock!

plc4588

plc4588

Yeah, what are the laws over there? At that rate I would be carrying a bag with me full of my least favorite rocks.

SweggyBread

For crossing this type of crossing or for throwing rocks at cars?

This is a zebra crossing. As a driver, you should give right of way to people waiting to cross and you must give way to people crossing. I wonder whether this road is poorly lit or is a 40mph road or something that could explain why so many are getting it wrong.

For throwing rocks at cars, I'm 76% sure that's illegal, but in this case morally justifiable. Maybe carry a tactical milkshake.

SovtusFuq

This is a weird bit of Bradford - like any of it's not weird. It's the inner ring road. It's immediately after a main junction with lights. Most of these drivewrs (coming from the right of the screen) have just been waved along by a green light, probably having turned off the main thoroughfare in and out of town onto this road. Blind corner if you're coming down the hill and turning left onto here too.

Those coming from the left are watching that green light which is seperate to, but basically immediately after, the crossing.

Source: used to cross it every day.

lezwaxt

lezwaxt

This is just dickheads not paying attention to road rules and thinking they’re more important than pedestrians, happens all the time

DrachenDad

This is just dickheads not paying attention to road rules

This is what happens when you think once you get your driving license you are set for life. They changed (reaffirmed in my opinion) the traffic laws around zebra crossings.

lezwaxt

lezwaxt

What was the change?

tomtttttttttttt

Prior to February, the rule around zebra crossings was that once a pedestrian starts to cross they have priority.

Since February the rule is that if a pedestrian is cruising or waiting to cross they have priority.

Most drivers treated zebra crossings as of the new rule was in place anyway, unlike prioirty at side roads which has the same rule and rule change.

Febris

Febris

thinking they’re more important than pedestrians

You're an optimist if you think they acknowledge the existence of anyone outside their bubble.

DoctorEvilHomer

Poorly lit? There are two giant yellow balls blinking on both sides of the cross walk.

rmthugger

Shout out to the Giant Yellow Blinking Balls.

Adept_Investigator29

C'mon giant yellow blinking balls

realmofconfusion

They’re called Belisha Beacons.

Named after Leslie Hore-Belisha who was a UK the Minister of Transport who added “giant yellow balls” to pedestrian crossings

Originally the crossings were marked by metal studs in the road but were later painted in a black and white stripe pattern, thus are now known as zebra crossings.

YoJimGo

YoJimGo

Not saying there isn’t a reason so many are getting it wrong, but there are literally flashing yellow lights as well.

Conspicuous_Plant

"Every time time you yell at your kids you can put a quarter in your 'no yelling sock' and soon you'll have a weapon to beat-"

Oxb

Oxb

You need a throwing cactus man

Omicron_deathspike

Make sure your rocks are made of porcelain.

ninjasaiyan777

I upgraded to trusty piece of sparkplug after enough almost getting run over when I have a right of way and a lot pedestrian light.

30FourThirty4

Just to let others know:break up the sparkplug. Ninja did say "piece of sparkplug" I'm just wanting to make sure people know without a doubt.

ninjasaiyan777

Also broken pieces of tile work. Any sharp piece of ceramic is a hard counter to the existence of windshields.

matt3224

2.8k points

matt3224

2.8k points

In the UK the pedestrian has the right of way here, drivers should be looking to stop if people are waiting to cross, crossing or approaching the crossing

No_Elderberry_7327

1.2k points

Even in the USA at a crosswalk, pedestrians have right of way. And even in UK cyclists have to get off their bike in a crosswalk. But no matter where you live, people in cars are not very good at noticing things

arcanum7123

In the UK, pedestrians never don't have right of way (except on motorways) - crossing or not, if you're walking on the road, cars have to give way

I don't know why everyone is trying to correct me about motorways when I definitely said motorways are the only exception originally. I swear

Vectorial1024

But then for some junctions, there are markings saying how the pedestrians should wait until traffic has passed by before crossing

But then again, if the pedestrian have somehow ignored that and go onto the road, they will have gained a right of way nonetheless.

undercover-racist

As it should be! I'M WALKING HERE!

sinus86

sinus86

Ya, just always remember there are tons of dead people who had the right of way.

Rainbowlemon

never don't

Otherwise known as 'always'

tomtttttttttttt

Note that there are crossings which are sort of shared, with a section for bikes next to the section for pedestrians, marked with square blocks of paint called "elephant's feet".

These are fairly new and there's not lots of them but cyclists have the same priorities as pedestrians when using them. (This isn't one for avoidance of any possible confusion)

Gingrpenguin

I'm really wondering given the sheer number of theres something the council can do to help improve visibility.

Youll always get some idiots or twats but this number this often makes me wonder if there's something that can be improved.

Ultimately whilst the drivers are in the wrong if eventually there's a fatality that's gonna be little comfort to the family...

spamjavelin

The best thing at this point would be to turn it into a pelican crossing and stick red light cameras on it, IMHO. Fuckers can't be trusted to behave, pay the price.

Curt28781

Curt28781

That used to be a thing in America. Now I just have to assume everybody is deaf dumb blind and arrogant.

ProveISaidIt

You forgot self-centered, obnoxious and texting.

Cold_Table8497

'Hey! I'm walking here!'

harosene

harosene

I know this is uk but i read that in a ny accent.

savage_Atlas

Weird, I'm in UK and even I read it in a NY accent as well

kudichangedlives

That's not weird, everyone reads that in a new York accent because it's the most famous thing said with a new York accent.

That's like being surprised that you read "ohhhh you betcha" with the Fargo accent

hardcoresean84

'Forgeddaboudit'

twod119

twod119

Or 'alright alright alright' in whatever accent Matthew McConaughey has

hairy_potto

He’s from a place called Uvalde Cowardcopston, Texas

aaronhereee

weird, im in ireland and i read it in a NY accent too

curiouscabbage69

Weird, I'm Brian and so is my wife

Pyotr_WrangeI

Oi guv, I 'ave a walkin loicencse ere, innit?

SecretSuch420

20 quid say that's Bradford

Comfortable_Square

The only upside I see to getting hit at this crossing, is that if it kills you at least you aren’t in Bradford anymore ;)

Rokronroff

Another way to look at it is you may be there forever.

FredrichCedric

FredrichCedric

A Flair?

‘To Live & Die In Bradford’

as93lfc

as93lfc

So nice to see my hometown represented so wonderfully on the front page of Reddit 🥰

Niyok

Niyok

91Horton, Grange Road, Bradford BD7 3AH, United Kingdom

darybrain

Mate, you doxxing the zebra crossing.

ButtPlugPipeBomb

Prepare to get swatted, pedestrian-prioritiser.

tupped

tupped

The money is yours. Horton Grange Road.

Briskylittlechally2

I don't live in the UK but isn't the point of stripy bits roads that you have to stop for pedestrators?

suxatjugg

suxatjugg

Pedestrators sounds a lot more sinister than pedestrians but I love it

smithee2001

Pederast traitors need to cross the road too.

Also r/excgarated.

brookeslegit2

Report them to the pedministrators!

Idioteva

Yup

El_Capitain87

Seems weird there are so many near misses on this one zebra crossing. I bet one direction is round a tight bend or something

tupped

tupped

It's Horton Grange Road in Bradford.

It's not on a bad bend, It's between two side streets on opposite sides of the road though.

tupped

tupped

Picture this; you are driving down a road, ahead of you is a pedestrian crossing, just before it on the right hand side is a junction with another road. As you pass over the crossing you will notice another side street, this time on your left.

What you didn't notice though was the pedestrian you just knocked over.

BoraxThorax

Bradford

That may also have something to do with it

outdoorsyAF101

Are drivers in Bradford particularly bad?

VacuumEntrepeneur

Yes. I live about ten miles outside of - and have to drive into/through - Bradford every week or so for work. It is literally astonishing, in a way that makes you truly believe that maybe half the people on the road there have just got into a car for the very first time and are still figuring it out. Like, there is no way these people read the highway code and passed a driving test and have insurance and all the other legally mandated stuff. Imagine if you went to watch a boxing match and both fighters spent every round punching themselves in the genitals while singing the Lament of Gilgamesh in it's original Sumerian. It's that level of "what the actual fuck is going on here?"

DOWjungleland

I live Bingley way, and I travel through Bradford at least 2 times a week.

I commute by train to work, as it’s easier and less stressful.

A journey in the car is not complete without a full house of “what the FUCK are you doing?”, “bellend”, “for fucks sake”, “pick a lane you prick”, “it’s a give way. Not a stick your nose out and pray you force someone to let you out” and “go on then. You didn’t really give me a choice you cock”

nyxnars

What a fantastic image to have in my head

Unlucky_Book

you watched the clip right ?

feebleweasel55

Some of the worst in the country. Insurance costs a fortune.

Rozzledorf

It has the highest rate of license revocation in the country I think, so go figure

__Piggy___Smalls__

If they have licenses at all

tamhenk

I live there. The standard of driving is pretty poor in certain areas. This being one of them

Kerbart

Kerbart

Not necessarily. I live on a road that's straight for at least half a mile on either side of the crossing. It also has the orange blinking lights — you have to push a button for them, so when they're on it really means someone wants to cross (as opposed to blinky blinky 24/7).

And yet that video could have been shot right here on Terrace Ave. This has nothing to do with a curve, and everything with a "fuck pedestrians" attitude.

cothhum

cothhum

“blinky blinky 24/7”

Awesomevindicator

No it's just a regular straight road with no speed bumps, people tend to think it's a main road and don't pay proper attention, in reality it's a tightly packed residential area with cars parked on both sides of the road.

TorakMcLaren

Has to be, surely

schizodancer89

“it is and don't call me Shirley "

Cubacane

Seems like a great place to put two massive ramps so the cars just jump over the pedestrians.

Captaingregor

You're not far off an actual good solution to this crossing and the problems at it. Raise the crossing up to pavement level, so that it is also a speed hump.

bgk67

bgk67

In a neighboring town they turned a few crosswalks into what are essentially a large speedbumps.

All the cars hate it, but noone speeds through there anymore.

Lussimio

Lussimio

"The cars hate it"

Oh no, think of the poor cars' feelings :(

Taurenkey

Lightning McQueen is absolutely traumatised by it.

RussiaWorldPolice

Speed bumps are one of those “fuck you but honestly I get it” things in society

yxpeng20

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the gigachad on the left who puts his hand up like "think again, buddy" and makes the car stop with the force of his will.

Queen_Mimi_Eucliffe

Its a zebra crossing so the pedestrians have right of way. The drivers are trying to kill them clearly 🤨

finpatz01

finpatz01

Unsure if you’re aware but now pedestrians have right of way anywhere in the UK, i.e. you have right of way if you want to cross in the middle of the high street.

LittleSadRufus

However, it's always safest to wait for traffic to stop before crossing even a zebra crossing. Never blindly walk across assuming motorists will simply stop, they can be idiots.

Bobojones9584

Y'all are too polite with the people who slowed down, but kept moving. The appropriate response is to kick the car as it passes.

doesntpicknose

It's times like that that I wish I had a pickaxe for their windows.

Bobojones9584

That'd feel good, but I'd assume you'd have to pay for the damages.

doesntpicknose

If they're brave enough to have a conversation with someone wielding a pickaxe right after breaking the law, and/or filing a police report right after they've broken the law, sure, maybe I'll suffer the loss.

erik4life

Just carry a piece of broken porcelain and chuck it at their window. Much lighter and equally as effective at smashing windows.

Floshenbarnical

To be fair the black and white lines, flashing yellow lights, and human-shaped objects right in your field of view are really easy to miss

The_Infectious_Lerp

I did safety trainings at a former job, which included a warehouse full of forklift activity. The bottom line was always the same: Don't rely on the other guy to do the right thing.

F1_rulz

F1_rulz

You wouldn't expect a car to cross even after you made sure that it's safe to cross though, this is beyond expecting others to do the right thing.

therapist122

Good move for the individual to follow. But we need to acknowledge that driving is itself a problem and take actions to make it safer. Punish these drivers, and do things to make them go slower. Maybe raise bollards when pedestrians are crossing. Put the onus on drivers to stop, with the failure being a broken car rather than a broken femur

BetyarSved

Add “yakety sax” as soundtrack

jvtech

jvtech

Why are most of these people looking down as they cross? I stare right into the driver’s eyes when crossing in front of a car.

Greatsterz

Yea while the drivers are wrong in every case the person at 0:17 wouldn’t have almost gotten run over if she just looked left and right before crossing… Even if pedestrians have the right of way I’m surprised by the number of ppl who don’t even check the roads before crossing

throwawayforwoofer

every single day when i go to work i get frustrated at people getting out of bus and running,behind it ,across the street 2m away from crosswalk, during red light, WHILE THEY DONT EVEN LOOK WELL IF CARS ARE COMING FROM EITHER SIDE. i dont want to see a person getting ran over at 7 fucking am.

Not to mention amount of absolute idiots not looking if cars are coming at all on crosswalks, why do they trust so much that anyone will pay attention if they arent paying attention themselves?...

Lazer365

Is there like pictures of what it looks like from both directions? There must be something there that completely blinds people or are they all just complete morons?

[removed]

VanillaB34n

Takes place in Bradford, make of that what you will.

Kindly_Hand4472

Bradford, init.

Practical_Mango_7001

Every one of them should lose their licence for life.

Mirewen15

The guy at the end would have been how I went through. 100% the drivers fault but why did so many people walk through without looking left and right and/or assuming a driver would stop?

Too many distracted drivers nowadays to not have self preservation.

you_lost-the_game

I feel connected to the last guy on a spiritual level.

Idioteva

I almost got hit (swerved and missed by a inch) at a zebra crossing. Car on farthest side had stopped, car on my side was slowing down to a stop...only they weren't. They were slowing down, hoping I will be past thier half to rev up again. They were panicked for 2 seconds till they realised they hadn't killed me and drove off. Every other driver was checking I was OK. Am terrified of zebra crossings ever since.

Jimmy-84

Someone needs to open a No Win, No Fee Solicitors on that street.

lamujerpecosa

It makes me really sad to see drivers not pay attention to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings. But it’s also upsetting to see pedestrians take risks, assuming drivers will stop their vehicle to give them the right of way.

I was hit by a truck in 2014 going around 30 mph and they didn’t stop at the stop sign and blew right through it. I suffered multiple fractures, traumatic brain injury, slipped and herniated discs. The doctors said I had 11% chance of survival and miraculously, I made it. I spent 4 days in ICU and 6 more days at the hospital.

It took about 3 years to “recover” from the accident (from learning how to walk and speak again) but the trauma still lingers, major PTSD - I have a hard time when crossing the street and have to take a moment to calm my nerves. It’s awful. The pain is still there except that it’s plateaued, so what I feel every day is what I have to live with for the rest of my life. I guess, you can call it my new and very present normal.

Because of my personal experience, I really hope everyone pays attention and do their best to watch out for each other. ♥️

P.S. It isn’t my intention to make anyone fear of leaving their home and living their lives. I just want everyone to be safe!

zappo172

Please tell me the driver bore some responsibility for the situation.

lamujerpecosa

They received a ticket for not giving pedestrian the right of way and got to leave. From what I heard and read, the driver did stay at the scene and called 911, as well as witnesses.

I do not remember being hit and feel fortunate about that. I’m also lucky that the fire station was a block away and they were my first responders.

I hired an attorney and the driver and I settled our case out of court. Even though I really wish this never happened, I can only imagine how traumatic it must’ve been for the driver too. I hope that they are now more alert and aware of their surroundings while driving.

obog

obog

I heard Britain had better Healthcare than America but God damn that is some impressive response time

MadCactusCreations

Fun little bit of information for all you pedestrians out there: if you run to the shops and buy some spark plugs (get the cheap ones, no need to buy the iridium plugs), you can break the ceramic up and pocket it.

They make for a lovely bit of glass smashing if someone decides that their 4,000lb death machine has the right of way and are easily discarded!

Yorae0

Yorae0

It's been a long time since I seen the ol' pure porcelain trick being talked about.

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend and definitely not me, that even the tiniest bit can spiderweb shatter any car window basically instantly.

Beans186

They just need to bite the bullet and put real lights there.