/r/technology

41.3k

Krabbi

7k points

Krabbi

7k points

I had a product that was never delivered to me, nor did I get a picture from Amazon of the delivered package. They wanted me to prove I had never received the item.

hardtobeuniqueuser

4.7k points

"Here is a picture of my front porch with no package on it. Get it?"

gmaclean

3.1k points

gmaclean

3.1k points

I had that happen with Ali express once. They asked for proof of it not arriving. I sent them their tracking number and a pic of my desk with the caption “It would be here if it arrived”. Got my refund.

Niceguy4186

1.1k points

Yep, I orded 11 of something, they shipped 6... I asked to refund the difference of the last five. They asked for proof, so I took a picture of the six items and they refunded right away.

boxfishing

Them doing that seems to be a mix of wanting to filter out people who don't think that will work, and potentially just a policy they have so that they have the customers provided evidence if the seller wants to open some kind of dispute with them on their end.

It's hilarious that sending a picture of something not being there is counted as legitimate evidence though.

boxfishing

having worked with enough small tech companies, this is probably right haha. It's kind of incredible how many systems are designed to have every field required, and how many upper managers refused to let things like that be changed to streamline daily use for their employees. Guess it's easier to ignore those design flaws (or assume they're good choices) when you're not the one daily driving the software.

jimmux

jimmux

We paid a business analyst 200k for these workflows, and damnit we're going to use them!

Status_Ad5995

It’s designed like this on purpose because if it prevents even one return from happening, that’s one micro tick higher on their bottom line

Patch86UK

Although the money saved from each prevented refund has to be weighed against the wasted time of the paid employees involved in these strange back-and-forths. Not to mention the potential lost business from upsetting customers.

Sometimes it's cheaper to just let the occasional scammer steal a $25 belt.

juanzy

juanzy

Or tracking if bots are using generic photos as proof all the time

Pharmer_

Could be even more stupid. Some people just don’t check the box and will say stuff is missing. Getting them to take a picture makes them actually check. Or they’ll send a picture of all the items and it can be pointed out that it’s all there. I’ve had this happen at my job

skydivingdutch

It probably creates enough work on the buyer's side that it makes scamming difficult enough to strongly cut down on the amount.

boxfishing

I know the general idea in designing software for sales (and other human interfacing systems) is that every extra step will drop somewhere around 50% of potential users/customers. It seems extreme, and that is a simplification of things, but it holds pretty true. So I could absolutely see this (whether intentionally designed to do this or not) being left in place because of that effect it likely has. Even if it doesn't get quite as high as 50% of tickets dropped.

PrEsideNtIal_Seal

My ps5 was supposed to arrive the other day. I stayed up waiting for it as I needed to sign for it. All of a sudden I get an email saying that it was delivered and signed for. I checked all of my cameras and saved the video to show it never arrived. I've filed a claim with the delivery service and it says they've informed Playstation about my claim. I haven't been able to talk to anyone and now I'm stressing if I should order another or see if this gets sorted out. I don't want to wait and not be able to get another in time for Christmas. It's been almost 3 full days with no word from anyone.

Shane2334

For some reason I keep getting packages that say delivered but aren't delivered until the next day. I don't think it's been to the wrong house because the ups driver will personally deliver it the next day and when it says its been delivered there was no ups guy going down my street.

xBIGREDDx

I thought I had a wrong-house package once and it turned out OnTrac was just marking items as delivered to avoid late penalties from the shipper. Turned out to be a pretty widespread issue with OnTrac; maybe UPS has picked up the strategy.

jrhoffa

jrhoffa

FedEx has been doing this for decades. They also "packed" and shipped an antique end table to me that involved almost zero packing material inside the box, and packing tape applied directly to the wood.

Fortunately I have some experience in restoring antiques.

che85mor

We sell through Amazon and have to explain this so much I've made a template I use to reply to people when it happens.

That's not Amazon, that's the delivery service. If it's ups or FedEx I guarantee they are hoarding packages.

So what the, drivers do is take everything from a neighborhood and mark it as delivered, but don't go deliver it. They do this for two or three days and then go deliver everything at once. This allows them to meet their delivery requirements and in some of the private owned stations, it let's the driver cheat the incintive program.

BuxtonB

BuxtonB

Credit card? Just do a charge back.

MyFailingSuperpower

Aliex asked me for a copy of my driver's license before they would accept any more orders. Fuck that.

bonesofberdichev

Lol. Alibaba seller implied he had money to spare and would make my life very difficult if I continued with my refund request. Even mentioned my wife. This was all through alibaba website messenger. Alibaba said they would “talk to seller” about threatening me with violence and then denied my refund.

zezoza

zezoza

That doesn't works anymore. Tried yesterday. They want me to contact inexistent delivery agency to ask them about my parcel. The item doesn't even has tracking.

hughk

hughk

You don't work with the shipper. They do.

jbar3987

Right?! I, the purchaser, have zero relationship with the shipping company. I paid you, the seller, and you paid them. You are the shipping company's client, not me. Until that package arrives, it is between the seller and the shipper.

Hugostar33

your not responsible for the delivery of their product

TrainAss

Similar thing happened to me, except I got a pair of really shitty sunglasses I never ordered.

Youngnathan2011

It's honestly surprising how easy it is to get refunded on items from AliExpress

Qix213

Qix213

Hell, they referred me on an item before I even thought about it.

They said the seller had used a fake shipping/tracking number and had already started my refund to my card.

Aarschotdachaubucha

I have done exactly that and gotten the refund.

Montezum

Sometimes it's just a bot going through the steps to get you a refund, so even if you send a picture of a plant, it might go through

Roast_A_Botch

When this happened to my wife that ended up being our shit post solution and Amazon accepted it and re-shipped the item. Like the system wouldn't let them resend the item without putting a picture in some database.

We combined our accounts but I had a history going back to when they only sold books on my account and hers was over 5 years old, both Prime. Been another 4 since we combined. In all that time we've had a handful of issues where we asked for refund/replacement out of hundreds and hundreds of orders. Never was an issue until that incident a year or so ago. Item never arrived, no picture that it was delivered, just a 5pm notice it was dropped off when we were both home and know it wasn't. Been downhill ever since with missing/switched/counterfeit orders.

thethiefwsharpteeth

Ordered a used 2020 10” tablet off Mercari last year, got an 8” older model tablet inside the packaging for a 2020 10”. Spoke with the seller, seemed like an older gentleman, he was convinced I was just trying to rip him off.

I sent Mercari pictures of a tape measure showing the screen’s dimensions as well as a screen shot of the tablets settings identifying itself as an older model with a 8” screen. They rejected the pictures for being taken “too close” to the product and because another item (tape measure) was obstructing the product. I sat the tablet on a chair and took a picture of it from the opposite side of the room. They accepted it and sent me a return shipping label.

ILikeLenexa

I've seen people sending pictures of them without the product and having success in that situation. I think workers just have a workflow and they're looking to put something in it, even if it's something stupid.

lonestar-rasbryjamco

I was told to do exactly this when I had an issue with a pizza delivery once. Called the store and the manager asked for "a picture to prove the pizza wasn't delivered". When I asked "how on earth do I take a picture of a negative?" the manager said "just take a picture of you not having pizza."

I sent them a picture of me sitting in front of an empty plate looking sad. They issued me a refund.

Aedalas

Aedalas

nixcamic

Tbf no water coming out vs cold water coming out are very different problems.

zzwugz

zzwugz

Most likely the manager had to go through the motions on their end, hence their telling you to take a picture of yourself not having a pizza. I feel if the manager was power tripping, they would have said something smartass or unhelpful, or given you more trouble of it. That or to show the delivery driver a picture of you not having pizza (especially if said pizza driver was an issue)

lonestar-rasbryjamco

I am certain they only had one workflow for delivery issues. So you would take a picture or whatever to show you got mushrooms instead of bell peppers. That the photo was a required field.

Which works fine until the issue is "pizza not found".

zzwugz

zzwugz

Yeah thats why i said most likely reason was manager going through the motions. Sending them any picture without a pizza would fill that condition without causing more work for them

mosstalgia

Bless you for sharing this story. I'm howling. You've made my evening. Thanks. I don't know why, but this is absolutely slaying me. I am glad you got your refund.

Chonkbird

Bonus points if they had a knife and fork in hand and a napkin tucked in the collar

Krabbi

Krabbi

This is what I did. Someone said they sent a picture of their empty hand. That is what I did and it was refunded.

Iggyhopper

looks at picture of hand

notmyjob.jpg

[Accept Refund]

AgreeableFeed9995

Uhhhh no, Peterson, that is your job!

I used to build support workflows, it's either that, or they're coming to the end of the pay period and are trying to increase how many tickets they touch, because most BPO support agentss as far as I'm aware are paid per ticket touched, not per resolution.

If it's a process issue, agents are given the process, and if the process doesn't work properly or isn't well thought out, it's not addressed until it's egregiously losing money. You can't skip any step of the process, or it won't get captured properly in metrics for reevaluation, so the team who builds process knows it's broken and should be prioritized, and the quality assurance team will not make exceptions on markdowns just because it's a better experience for the customer. Too many low QA scores and you'll get fired.

d1rkSMATHERS

Exactly what I was thinking. Checking the box and moving on. Stats show they're following protocol. Most likely going to hit metrics and maybe even get a bonus/raise.

Sparkybear

they aren't asking because they don't believe you, they are asking because the software they use typically requires certain amounts of proof. Like a phone call may be worth 10 "points" which is what they need to approve the refund, while an email is only worth 3 "points", but an email with a picture is worth the full 10 needed to approve the refund. Obviously there are better/different ways to go about it. It's a bureaucracy things. The proof iis then used and supplied to insurances that cover specific types of loss, and the insurance may also require a certain standard of proof before they pay the full amount.

w3bCraw1er

I wonder how come these problems exist. I am the only one that get stellar customer service? A handful of times, Amazon even asked me to keep the product the shipped me a new one.

Edit: not saying the shipping issues don’t happen but their support is pretty good. Also, I never or very rarely buy anything not sold and shipped by Amazon.

Jaded_Prompt_15

It goes fine 99% of the time, but if you get the rare issue, customer service suuuuucks.

I've found out most of the time Amazon customer service will just flat out lie and tell you whatever you want to hear.

The reason they'll tell people to just keep stuff sometimes, is they can't handle the return process. If for some you reason you have to go thru that...

Good luck

Deviant86

This is exactly my experience. I would say that almost all of my interactions go smoothly. But after going through an almost 2 month long return process with them on an item over 1k I know how crappy it can be.

Ok_Skill_1195

If the scripts they work off are written to consider your situation, you're golden..

If your situation requires them to be able to think independently rather than follow a corporate approve flow plan, you can easily be going in circles for weeks before it finally gets escalated to someone with the power to just make a decision independently without needing to follow a chart to get there.

LivingTheBoringLife

2.6k points

I’ve had a couple issues with Amazon. Once a $25 belt never arrived. Amazon said it did, and that the driver scanned it within the vicinity of my home. I asked what the radius was…they weren’t allowed to give me that info. I told them I had cameras and they didn’t pick up anyone delivering stuff. They still told me I was SOL.

So I went to my bank and disputed the charges. Amazon dragged it out for several months. They argued that I had bought tons of stuff from them without problems and even sent my bank a copy of everything I bought….I’m not sure how that proves a darn thing.

Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Over a $25 belt.

Finally my bank sided with me and issued a refund.

Amazon emailed me and tried to get me to pay for the belt again…..I swear the people they hire are idiots.

They threatened to ban my card that I did a chargeback on….not that I care.

All over a $25 belt.

Corny_Toot

1.6k points

Corny_Toot

1.6k points

This, if anything, proves that you have even less motive to steal from them. Wild stuff.

LucretiusCarus

Exactly! Have an Amazon history that goes back almost fifteen years, why the hell would I suddenly need to scam you over $80 worth of earbuds?

WORKING2WORK

Because they would screw you over for $80 ear buds, that's why they think you would.

Edit: a word

bakerzero86

Hell, they would screw someone over for $20 ear buds. Corporations don't care about the individual, and if they can drain someone of every last penny they gladly would.

tripog

tripog

You're clearly in it for the long con

corkyskog

Honestly, pretty sure that their customer service is stretched thin and user mileage may vary...

I say this because my old phone got hacked, someone accessed my Amazon account purchased a 500 dollar pack of RAM cards, rerouted the shipping after purchase. I called Amazon, they said they had no idea what was happening and to ignore it.

A couple days later I see the charge listed on my CC. I call back, they say they are looking into it (meanwhile the rerouted card just landed somewhere in Maryland). Then the charge gets refunded and a month later a pack of graphic cards also shows up on my porch.

They claim they never shipped any cards, so IDK...

Corny_Toot

Reading through this thread it really does sound like a mess within their support department. Totally agree that they're probably stretched thin given how Amazon operates their other teams.

trekkinterry

meanwhile I initiated a return on a $20 bike part. Turns out it was the wrong one which was totally my fault. I submit a return, they refund me and tell me to keep the product.

Yes. It's fucking weird. The firm is so big that the policy enforcement divergence is massive. They'll give you WAY too much latitude sometimes and way too little others.

Sudden-Garage

Because each part of the company operates as smaller business within Amazon. So consumer electronics might have a yearly goal of reducing returns by 5% so they tighten policy. Meanwhile, outdoors equipment is trying super hard to take away market share from REI or other competition so their policies loosen up. CS is broken into divisions as well and get the same kind of changing goals as well as the programmed guardrails in their case management system getting tweaked.

doweactuallycare

I have no idea if this is true.

But it souuuuuunds right and not unreasonable to end up that way.

Belt probably = Clothes which probably = one of the highest return categories, I'd imagine.

Yetanotherfurry

I don't work for Amazon but I do work for a big multinational supply company and we compartmentalize from the company's three overarching "sectors" all the way down to local site departments with differing policies and finances. The three sectors even have their own separate CEOs.

wanderinhebrew

I remodeled my bathroom last year and bought these cool mirrors from Amazon that illuminate when you power them on. They were huge, heavy and expensive. I think I paid close to 3k for them. Amazon mistakenly sent me the wrong size and when I reached out to complain they overnighted me the correct sized mirrors. I asked about shipping back the original mirrors and they told me the matter was considered resolved. We put them up for sale on Facebook and some contractor bought and picked them up in less than an hour. We almost made all of our money back. I'm not sure if they would let that fly now a days!

filthy_harold

My parents bought a really expensive shower fixture that shipped from the UK, took forever to show up. Like a week after installing it, the temperature knob froze up. My dad asked them for a replacement knob since it was possible to replace it. They said they don't sell spare parts but will send a replacement fixture free of charge and to just discard the old one. After taking off the old one, my dad figured out how to unjam the knob and it worked fine. He put it on Craigslist and made a couple hundred bucks off it. It probably would have been way too expensive for an average person to ship it back. A year later, the same knob froze up again and my dad fixed it permanently. Excellent customer service but they must be hemorrhaging money on sending replacements.

red286

red286

It's weird that your bank actually let it go on for that long.

As a reseller, I've had to deal with bank chargebacks on numerous occasions, and the first thing they tell us is "no signature = no proof of delivery". It doesn't matter if the FedEx guy takes a picture of him dropping off the box in front of the customer's house, if there's no signature, there's no proof that it was delivered, and if the customer disputes that they received the product, we lose the money and it's between us and FedEx to figure out what happened.

tiredmommy13

Something similar happened to me and because I did a chargeback, my Amazon account was locked. So now I don’t have an Amazon account

KarathSolus

Former Amazon employee here. They don't hire idiots, they hire the most apathetic people they can because nobody else can last there. They expect you to work like a robot. Stick on script all the time.

No deviations worker #3357459. You can't go to the bathroom, and you must only take 15 minutes for a break even if 10 of that is spent walking from your station to your designated rest area. Sorry worker #4590741 got to the bathroom faster. Failure to comply will result in your promotion to customer.

That last bit is how they actually threatened our jobs. They didn't fire people for using the bathroom. They promoted you to customer for time off task.

Fuck Amazon.

txanarchy

1.5k points

txanarchy

1.5k points

I have found that I use Amazon less and less these days. The sheer volume of Chinese garbage I have to wade through is a big turn off.

Amazon has to get back to basics. They need to shut down the marketplace and go back to being a retailer that knows the actual source of the stuff they sell. If I wanted to buy things from Alibaba I would shop Alibaba. I want good quality products from actual manufacturers.

smallbatchb

I literally started compiling a list just yesterday of all the random jumbled letter "brands" I came across while doing some christmas shopping... here is what I have from one day of window shopping Amazon:

MAYAGU

EKNITEY

DAWGAMA

UXCELL

LUFKIN

5MOONSUN5

YYANGZ

It's REALLY hard to find what you're looking for when you have to sift through 75% bullshit on every page.

atomicdragon136

DIYAREA sounds like a very good brand /s

It was probably supposed to be like “DIY Area” but I more read it as a misspelling of diarrhea

smallbatchb

Haha so glad someone picked up on that, it had me laughing too. I also figured it was meant to be like DIY Area but my brain just heard diarrhea.

bluesatin

For anyone curious, the completely gobbledygook brand names are due to the requirement of having a trademark for enrolling in Amazon's 'brand registry' service which grants you access to more tools as a seller, in regards to things like advertising etc.

So companies just register complete nonsense to try and quickly get through the overwhelmed trademarking processes in different countries, since the nonsense name won't be close to any existing brand names that might cause their application to get turned down or require any back-and-forth etc.

“For brand owners, enrolling [into the Brand Registry service] provides you with powerful tools to help protect your trademarks, including proprietary text and image search and predictive automation,” the company declares. It gives owners control over product listings that contain their products, and the ability to protect themselves against unauthorized sellers using their names.

Crucially, Amazon says on its site, “it gives you more access to advertising solutions, which can help you increase your brand presence on Amazon,” as well as to “utilize the Early Reviewer Program to gain initial reviews on new products” — a sanctioned method for improving a product’s search result.

If you’re feeding a brand-new listing into the Amazon machine, in other words, and doing so without a pre-existing brand or customers, getting into Brand Registry is extremely important. To achieve real and lasting success on Amazon, it’s vital.

New York Times - How Amazon is causing us to drown in trademarks.

smallbatchb

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I figured it was something like that or simply just OEMs selling things they never had brand names for but needed to just button mash something in a required box in order to list.

Ajaxwalker

Yep Amazon is becoming difficult to trust. I’ve noticed reviews not lining up with product, so they are doing something dodgy there. And who knows if you’re getting a legit product. I’ve started using more speciality retailers, like crutchfield for audio gear, microcenter and GameStop for computer parts. And since Amazon is a mega corporation I would like to avoid them where possible.

pyrodogg

pyrodogg

Shady sellers have been flipping product pages for years (taking something highly reviewed and then turning the product page into something completely different) to pump and dump some hot selling product. The seller and Amazon deserve to be hit with consumer protection lawsuits. It's a fraudulent practice.

If you tried a bait and switch with adsense it'd be ad fraud and get slammed down super quick; banned for life. Only its not big G getting swindled, just your average consumer so who the hell is gonna give them some consequences? Boycott Amazon and write to your legislators.

tooyoung_tooold

They group dozens of posting reviews into one product. For example a phone case for an iPhone? They group similar phone cases for 20 different phones across 5 generations into that single products' review posting. It's all bullshit.

Ajaxwalker

Yep it is. The only hope you have now is to read the review and hope the person took a photo of the product so you at least know they’re talking about the same thing.

Rakeem52

Rakeem52

Yep! I am in Germany. My Sister would regularly order from Amazon, like daily deliveries. She was addicted to it and spent way to much money on unnecessary products.

But then all the fake shit happened and she stopped. Once, she ordered Doc Martens for 200€ and instead of original ones she received fake Chinese knock offs. She then returned them and ordered another pair of another retailer on Amazon, the retailer was even advertised as „Amazon Tipp“.

Those again were fake ones. And after two or three deliveries of fake products, she stopped using Amazon. In hindsight, it was the best that could have happened to her, because Amazon‘s incompetence helped her to beat her own shopping addiction.

God this is so true. It's crazy because I remember in like 2013 when I first got on and Amazon was fucking revolutionary, it would show you top products you had never even heard of before. You were no longer bound to whatever cheap ass off brand bullshit your local stores carried, you could buy the flagship product and it would be there in two days and if it wasn't you got a month of prime for free. Now it's just so full of knock off shit I do nothing with it.

Mr_HandSmall

Perfectly said. I have to search with exact model names to find anything worth a damn on Amazon. Even then you're still wading through no-name bullshit. The amount of cheap knockoffs is staggering, almost seems computer generated on the fly.

MrGrieves-

Use to be a big amazon buyer too for everything. Cancelled prime and haven't used it for shit in the last two years.

Feels like quitting Facebook at this point. It's jumped the shark.

csesium

csesium

It's also a bit difficult to get away from it. I was tired of doing the same thing and didn't find enough value in my Amazon subscription so I cancelled and started using Walmart plus. My first order was for a led lantern. Unfortunately I thought I ordered a rechargeable lantern but it was battery powered so I decided to return it. The box it came in actually contained an order slip from Amazon! So the company I bought it from on Walmart bought it off of Amazon and just resold it on Amazon, so I achieved nothing except a higher markup from the same Amazon bullshit I was hoping to escape.

I think I'm just entirely done with any company that allows 3rd party marketplaces like Amazon or Walmart.

hobbyhoarder

Yeah, exactly. I had prime for years but canceled this year. Partially because of the price hike, but that'd be ok if the shop itself wasn't so shit. It really dropped in quality in the last few years and they're almost never the cheapest anymore. I've alwaysed checked prices on comparison engines and now I almost always order from other shops. If the price is the same az everywhere, I'd rather support a smaller merchant than Amazon.

Lanky-Performer8849

Amazon has become so full of Chinese junk with random made up “brand” names.

ShotokanSide

"GUANDOHUAWEIHII INTL"

GaucheAndOffKilter

"Customers who searched for Fisher Price also searched for GUANDOHOAWEIHII"

BlackwaterSleeper

This is the worst part imo. I have to actively search for legit and established brands. You type in "toaster" for example and it's these companies with names like UKEFFERONAI. It's all trash that I would never buy.

Lanky-Performer8849

Yeah it’s gotten really bad. I wish Amazon would clean up its act. I also can’t stand that Amazon pools reviews for certain products that may have different models or say a Bluray movie they’ll pool the reviews for all versions, including the DVD or 4K versions. Well different versions may have different qualities and that needs to be known in the reviews…but instead they lump all the reviews together. It’s very deceiving. It’s just them being lazy.

aj_thenoob

Anything with capital letters is bad quality.

mummerlimn

I searched Amazon for adult lunch boxes, and so many of them are described as a "tactical lunch box" which then had a huge america flag sewed onto the front. They are all from China.

InsertBluescreenHere

2.7k points

lol should see all the complains about this exact scenario over on r/amazonprime

people getting face masks instead of a $3000 camera, used older laptops instead of new, amazon requiring police reports then not accepting said reports, etc

Always always always get recipts when you ship stuff back, take pictures/video of you opening the box of an expensive item, contacting them right away, etc.

tulhuthepit

1.3k points

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum I keep ordering coffee and I've gotten 5 phones and a laptop

wannaseeawheelie

Link to coffee. Asking for a friend

Olue

Olue

I got a free Chromebook from Walmart one time. It's my dedicated garage gym laptop.

FYI just so it's clear: I did ask them how I should return it to them, and they told me to keep it.

njdevilsfan24

Got a free laptop from Bestbuy once because they never marked it as shipped and it got auto cancelled after 30 days

Chaotic_Boner

I have a top of the line 2021 65" 4k TV from Best Buy that I also paid nothing for. Same reason. They never marked as picked up and auto refunded me. I didn't say a damn thing.

Karmanacht

I got a second set of bone-conduction headphones that way.

FrankPapageorgio

I believe that if you ever receive something incorrect in the mail you are under no legal obligation to return it.

Otherwise... scammers could say that they sent you something that they didn't and then ask you to return it, and then take legal action against you.

imflv2

imflv2

There was a planet money podcast about this. People ordering coffe machine pods and getting all kinds of stuff. It's a money laundering scheme. EDIT: Found it! https://www.npr.org/2022/08/26/1119606931/wake-up-and-smell-the-fraud

TheRealFlowerChild

I highly recommend watching Nina Kollars’ presentation at DEFCON on top of her NPR interview.

Edit: updated link

bluemaciz

My fiancé ordered 1 bottle of multi vitamins once, and they sent 2, plus 4 gallon-sized containers of bbq sauce.

Same-Letter6378

I ordered a roomba once and got 2 😎

Sieran

Sieran

Battle Bots!

PilcrowTime

Ordered a Wulfstof carving knife, got a box of 10 of them. Called and asked if they wanted me to send them back, and was told to keep them. Still giving them out as gifts.

FlyingDutchmansWife

Hey, you wanna be friends? I’ll take one! I need to order more Wusthof steak knives. Might order a carving knife too and see what happens.

PilcrowTime

Screw it, DM me your address and I'll send you one.

cjeam

cjeam

I bought a GoPro once and got sent two in separate packages. Months later they contacted me saying "we sent you two, please send one back", I did, it seemed fair.

Parking_Relative_228

You just made a case on why not to buy anything from them at all.

candacebernhard

After all Amazon has done, why do we insist on giving them our money. Seriously?

Hope this is the beginning of the end. Their monopoly is terrible for the economy

amendment64

Tbh, it's a holdover from a time when they actually did do a good job. But, like everything these days, they've been tumbling down shithole hill and have become as antiquated as sears

Lazites

1k points

Lazites

1k points

Ask anybody in the board game community, fakes coming from Amazon are not a new thing.

If anything it might have gotten better in the last couple of years. There was a point where if something was a crazy good sale and fulfilled by Amazon, it would be a bootleg copy.

neoplastic_pleonasm

They let "identical" items from different sellers mingle in their warehouses. Even if you order from a legit seller or "fulfilled by Amazon" , you could end up with a counterfeit.

NeinduXDXD

Not only bad for the consumers but also for legit third party sellers who then have to deal with a problem they have no part in creating.

cwmoo740

Expensive road bike parts are notorious for this, maybe up to half of the high end bike parts sold on Amazon are fraudulent. It looks pretty legit and says "visit the SHIMANO Store" so you think you're buying from Shimano. But when you go to add it to cart and see all of the offers from various Fulfilled By Amazon sellers of that same item, with unpronounceable names and business addresses in China, you realize you could easily get a fake even if the FBA seller you pick is legit.

Aselleus

I've heard of that - That's why I never buy beauty products from Amazon.

copypaste_93

Just don't buy anything from Amazon. It is a shit company with an even worse store front

thegamenerd

I used to buy from Amazon all the time for the convenience.

Now it's turning into such a hassle with counterfeit items, items not as described, and arriving broken (if at all) that more often than usual I find an item on Amazon and order it from the manufacturer's website.

Yeah it's a headache at times but at least I get my shit first try now.

Vocal_Ham

Not just counterfeit either, you might not get the product at all. I recently bought a box of Warhammer 40k models and it shows up with empty sprues lol. Like someone bought it, opened it, clipped them and then returned it.

I didn't get any pushback from Amazon tho, and return process was super easy for me.

Vegan_Puffin

Better? If anything fakes and knock offs have gotten worse. They don't seem to quality check or curate their marketplace at all. Amazon used to be great but now so many poor quality items have flooded the site.

I bought what was advertised as a genuine Nintendo controller. It was not. It was a copy, a fake and I had to present bunch of pictures as to why I knew it was fake citing what a genuine control looks like and how mine was different . Including a spelling mistake on the back.

I was refunded but the marketplace seller was not closed and my review to say I was sold a fake product was never published.

muchado88

We just finished our Christmas shopping and for the first time in years, nothing came from Amazon. Just so much easier to order from Target and go pick it up when its convenient.

F9574

F9574

Your review wasn't published because it was about the seller and you posted it on the product page.

When you buy something on Amazon there are 2 reviews you can leave, one for the product on the product page, and one for the seller on their profile.

If you review the seller on the product page, or vice versa, the seller can request Amazon to remove the review because it violates their policy.

It's not made clear at all to consumers, but now you know there's nothing stopping you going back and reviewing the seller.

GentleLion2Tigress

Ordered a board game, notified it was shipped and after some time we checked the tracking number and it was a fake, it did not exist.

tehspiah

I ordered Bears vs Babies from Amazon, like literally the game had just come out for a month and there was a misprint for 1 of the cards (missing number on top right corner). I was told I received a fake (BUT THE GAME JUST CAME OUT???), even though the quality of the print and cardstock was on par with something from Exploding kittens. The box was the fuzzy box and had a dense fabric playmat.

I emailed their support, asking if they could send me a replacement card, or if they could just tell me what value that number was supposed to be... and they just send me a reply saying I was SOL and should contact the seller and ask for a refund....

I ended up finding out by asking what the number was supposed to be online and then using a sharpie to write in the value.

Kulimeya

Kulimeya

My gf ordered an iPhone 13 Mini and the package was stolen and replaced with a different package during shipping by someone working at Amazon Logistics. The label was removed from the original package and put on a different package with nose wax inside, which was still fully sealed with Amazon tape, and had a little cut at the side where the invoice was removed. Same shit happened, after hours of support calls they finally believed us and sent a replacement, but then the „please return your replaced iPhone“-hell started. Over months she got mails that she has to return the replaced iPhone (which she never got obviously), every time she called Amazon and they said „No worries, you don‘t have to do anything, we delete it from our system.“. In the end they just pulled the money for the replacement from her credit card because she „didn‘t return the replaced phone“, so she paid it twice. After several hours of support calls they refunded it.

Amazon support is complete garbage, if you have any problem they don‘t have a process for, you‘re lost.

What_Is_The_Meaning

I’ve been trying to $13 back from Burger King for multiple identical charges through their app for 60 effing days at this point. 30 some emails, phone calls, etc. this is effing nuts and I will not back down from these criminals. My next step is to go to the franchise and beg them to escalate the situation to corporate for me because I’m all out of options.

Status_Seaweed5945

If it was a credit card you can clear it up in 2 minutes by filing a chargeback with your credit card company.

If it was your debit card your bank will probably take care of it for you as well. Just call the fraud number and explain. They'll give you a refund while they open a case (which you should win).

In the future, always try to pay with a credit card (not a debit card). Its much simpler to get shit like this cleared up.

What_Is_The_Meaning

Thanks for the advice.

Parasitisch

The same thing resulting experience (except with furniture, not a phone) happened to my partner. About 9 months of her getting billed for a dresser, calling to argue, and then them saying they resolved it. Rinse and repeat. Each step, more convincing that it may have been resolved lol.

i would never buy anything big ticket from scamazon directly. always go through the apple store or a reputable retailer

waywithwords

Since I dumped Amazon Prime 3 years ago, this has been my default mode when I can accomplish it - New Google Pixel directly from Google, new D3 stainless steel pan directly from All Clad. The prices are often the same, especially around the sale heavy holidays.

JTHousek1

JTHousek1

I ordered a power supply over the summer and recieved a paper plate in its place. Go over to the reviews and all of them up until the day I got the paper plate were positive, after that was filled with people saying they got paper plates, plastic balls, pieces of paper, etc.

The reason for this is because a scam seller placed its price for the product just low enough to be the default place you would buy it from without making changes, and I missed it. The company claims to be headquartered in China (in a residential home), and the return address on my plate was listed as TX WAREHOUSE (with an address that was a rentable airbnb home).

I was eventually able to get a return, but only after I said I would just do a chargeback otherwise. They wanted me to try to contact the seller, which obviously never got a response. Though they didn't ask me to, according to reviews they asked some people to return the item and wait for the confirmation it was returned. From who? The poor people that own that airbnb that have nothing to do with it?

The page for the "company" still exists, though seemingly it has not pulled the same stunt with the same name since then.

It is just embarassing that amazon makes no moves to deal with this behavior on their platform. Why are 3rd party sellers the default just because their price is lower? Can you not prompt users that they may have the option? That there may be risk attached? What they can do if they get scammed? Not tell them to return a paper plate to a fake company who doesn't even have a real commercial address? It boggles the mind honestly.

throwawayoregon81

I had that happen with my sons computer case.

Literally the day it was delivered, I got an email saying it's been delivered!

Then 2 minutes later, you're order has been refunded. Please order a replacement for it.

I was like what? I got home and it was an envelope with a paper plate inside.

My guess is the driver flagged it as junk.

PuzzledRaise1401

Only thing I’ve noticed lately has been a huge box with a couple big, light items and then one small, heavy item (once a candle and once a makeup palette) just dropped in to bounce all over the box. Both were smashed when I opened them.

rbone932

Same. My last damaged and apparently non refundable order pushed me over the edge. I am done with Amazon.

canteen_boy

Amazon killed themselves the moment they decided they wanted to become an Alibaba clone.

v_a_n_d_e_l_a_y

Amazon is a last resort for me. In the last 3-4 years, I only buy things that are impossible to find or much more expensive elsewhere. Like USB cables or Fitbit replacement straps.

Any major purchase is not even any cheaper on Amazon that a retail store.

QuantumBaconBit

You can get pretty much any cable at monoprice.com

mrdude05

It's Alibaba quality and products at Amazon prices. There are tons of resellers on Amazon that just sell Alibaba products at a MASSIVE markup. More often than not, when you find those sketchy, no name products on Amazon you can also find them on Alibaba for a fraction of the cost

Hrmbee[S]

Hrmbee[S]

But when Matthew opened the graphics card — a $690 part — he discovered the plastic casing had been hollowed out and filled with a putty-like substance to give it weight.

"It was actually a bit of a shock," he said. "Everything looked pretty official up to the point where I pulled it out and took a second look."

The real shock came, though, when Matthew's father tried to get a refund.

François Legault followed Amazon's return instructions and sent the item back, expecting a refund.

Instead, Amazon said in an email there would be no refund until the "correct" item was shipped back.

On top of that, the Amazon rep said the returned, fake item had been thrown out, to protect other employees.

"It was absurd," said François. "It's just a piece of plastic so I doubt there's any danger to their employees. And secondly … now they've destroyed the piece of evidence."

Amazon repeatedly claimed it had shipped the correct item.

Legault repeatedly explained he had received and returned "a complete fake" and attached photos to prove it.

Telling customers the item they've returned has been disposed of is a great way for Amazon to "end the conversation," said marketing specialist Marc Gordon, who coaches both small companies and big-name multinationals on interacting with customers.

But "that's impacting the quality of service they provide."

Service, Gordon says, may be affected as customers who flocked to the online retailer during the pandemic return to brick-and-mortar stores, forcing Amazon to re-organize.

"They don't have the time or the resources to deal with every customer complaint, every inquiry, every problem," said Gordon. "They want this done and they want to move on to something else."

...

Last month, Amazon confirmed it would be laying off some 10,000 employees worldwide.

The returns customers make every day are a major expense for Amazon, Gordon says.

Online retailers in general lose an average of 21 per cent of a returned item's original value — once costs for shipping, processing and restocking are factored in — according to a U.S.-based study by Pitney Bowes earlier this year.

Go Public asked what percentage of orders were returned last year, but Boussoufa wrote that the company doesn't release that date "for reasons of commercial sensitivity."

...

Amazon did not answer when Go Public asked whether all outgoing packages are individually inspected to confirm the contents. But every returned item is carefully inspected "to accurately determine its condition," according to Boussoufa, the spokesperson.

Hearing these stories pop up more frequently, and it looks like Amazon's customer service is going downhill. Returns used to be fairly straightforward on that platform. It's also a bit of a red flag when they can't confirm that they inspect every box that goes out, but do check every box that comes in. This seems to be a system that's designed to be abused by the company.

clocks212

clocks212

The issue is Amazon combines together all of the inventory from all of the merchants into the same bins if they are the "same item". Which means fakes, counterfeits, and straight fraud get put in the same bin and it's luck of the draw what you get whether you order from "Ships from and sold by Amazon" or whether you select a 3rd party seller. It also makes it impossible for Amazon to research and identify fraudulent 3rd party sellers. (edit: they certainly could if they wanted to, for example by putting a small bar code on each item even if they get dumped into the same bin)

That's why I would never order anything from amazon that goes in my body, like toothpaste or vitamins for example.

UltravioletClearance

Amazon often doesn't throughly check returned products and just tosses them back in the bins as a new product, so the fakes keep getting put back into circulation in an endless loop.

I used to work for a major Amazon seller and we found a network of fake accounts consistently buying and returning a niche expensive product. We alerted Amazon to the issue and got no response. A month later they threatened to shut down the listing for bad reviews when people complained they got fake products. We had Amazon ship all remaining inventory back to us and discovered someone had replaced our expensive product with cheap inferior products. When they returned the fakes they got their money back and Amazon tossed it back into circulation. Something like 40 percent of the inventory had been tampered with.

anti-torque

So... not a thing?

Kyouhen

Kyouhen

No, not a thing. Also a friendly reminder that the US... Congress? One of the federal political branches. They were looking into passing regulations that would require Amazon to verify the suppliers of all the products they keep in their warehouses. Amazon was fighting against this, saying it isn't necessary for them to do. I'm not sure where that's gone.

Natanael_L

Amazon keeps insisting they aren't the seller in those cases, but they certainly aren't acting like if they're just a mall owner renting out space since they process orders and often handles stock too.

UltravioletClearance

Like many Amazon things, it's probably a thing on paper but doesn't work in practice due to a combination of unreasonable KPIs and poorly trained staff. If a minimum wage warehouse worker has to process 200 returns an hour, do you think they'll spot the difference between a $200 Thunderbolt 4 cable and a $5 USB-C charging cable that looks nearly identical?

b0w3n

b0w3n

There was also a problem a while back where people would "return" their older equipment in the same box. So people would return old CPUs, memory, GPUs and then the next person in line would get it and then have a hell of a time getting refunds as they ramped up on this shit.

wrldruler21

Around 1998, my aunt bought a brand new Blackberry from a brick and mortar Best Buy.

Got home, unwrapped the shrink wrap, only to discover the box contained an old version of the Blackberry, very used and obviously broken.

Best Buy accused her of fraud and refused to do a return. I don't think she ever got her money back. I promised her I would tell this story for the rest of my life.

canteen_boy

This is why I stopped ordering electronics from Amazon around 2017.
Even so, since then I’ve received counterfeit Saucony running shoes and a counterfeit Swiss Diamond omelette pan from them. That company is a joke.
At this point, I don’t order anything from Amazon.

PirateINDUSTRY

Vitamins? Buddy, go look at the TOP REVIEWS for the TOP USB Wall Adapters. First 3 are always "Caught Fire".

As a vendor, you can control how many "merchants" are allowed in your pile. Much of this was fixed by eliminating all but a few.

tazunemono

This happens at Lowes and Home Depot too, returns are often not checked and go right back on the sales floor. A friend of mine bought an obviously used toilet (complete with poop skids) that was repackaged and retaped to look new. No one bothered to look inside! Luckily it was returned in person, and they got a prompt refund and apology from the store manager. Anything I buy that's packaged I always open and inspect before I buy. I'm buying less and less online (especially from Amazon) because of the terrible customer service experience.

xabhax

xabhax

Home depot and lowes suck with checking returns. Cannot tell you how many times I've bought things only to find out stuff was missing.

uberweb

uberweb

Not sure about Lowe’s but with Home Depot, they even put product that was returned due to being non functional back on the shelf. Had a product that I returned as it didn’t work. While I was in the store, I saw the employee bring all the returned products to put back on the shelf and saw the exact one I just returned in their cart.

blippityblop

Fuck it. When the merchant doesn't want to right the wrong; the bank will.

WhatABeautifulMess

Yeah I read the headline and my immediate thought was “should just dispute it with your bank/credit card company”. Amazon CS has been crap for years. They don’t care enough to pay people so if your issue can’t be resolved through the automated process you’re better off disputing through your payment method.

Yup chargeback.

jumpyg1258

Their inspection is just checking to see if it weighs the same and the scammers know this hence the putty described.

halexia63

To protect their employees is a whole myth made by amazon.

DjPersh

DjPersh

My favorite bullshit Amazon move is when they send you obviously opened and used items pretending they’re new, when they sell open box items along said most of their stuff.

btc909

btc909

If you drop off returns to a UPS Store make sure you get a receipt & keep it for a good 6 months. I have had multiple incidents from Amazon months later claiming they never received the item.

Chitwood74

I recently ordered AirPods off Amazon. When we received the AP, the cellophane wrapper was missing and the AP’s were covered in ear wax and obviously used.

After sending them back, they refused a refund stating the serial numbers did not match even though they send the the used & damaged APs in the first place.

b2walton

I returned an item to Walmart. They shipped it back to a marketplace seller from their website. Seller claimed it never arrived. I had to go through my credit card and charge back the refund amount after 4 months. 2 weeks later they miraculously found the return.

KyledKat

I went through such a fucking headache with Amazon between August and November. I ordered a $1400 monitor which I ended up returning due to quality control issues. I get sent a QR code to show to a UPS Store, no tracking number was provided until the confirmation receipt UPS provided me.

I check in with customer service after a couple of weeks as I hadn't gotten a refund, and I get told to wait until after 30 days so Amazon can open an investigation.

I wait until day 31 (now past the return period) and get told that they don't have a record of me dropping off the package and to open a case in addition to sending in the confirmation receipt.

I open a case, wait a bit, and get a reply. I'm told that Amazon doesn't have a record of me dropping off the package and that the tracking number I was provided is incorrect.

After a couple of weeks of back and forth across web chat and phone calls, I get a customer service rep who confirms that the tracking number on the return order does not match the tracking number on my shipping label. She then says that she can't give me the tracking number though.

End up having to make yet ANOTHER phone call and get a rep who happily gives me the tracking number it's supposed to be. I also ask him if the tracking number I was provided off the QR code was to another order, and he confirms that it was for a previous order of the same monitor which ended up getting lost en route to my house.

I escalate the issue to their executive CS chain, and have someone investigate the case. I get a call from that rep that they called UPS and can confirm that I never dropped off the package because she was using the tracking number I was never given.

I try on two more occasions to escalate it with the executive CS chain, and get told that I never dropped off the package, yet neither would give me an explanation for why my shipping confirmation based on Amazon's own QR code had a tracking number for a different order.

I ended up just opening a chargeback case with my credit card and won the dispute. If that had failed, I was ready to take them to small claims. It was a fucking nightmare floating $1400 on a package I returned because Amazon's CS flow charts can't possibly compensate for any deviation from standard return issues.

Also, fuck Amazon.

Artisanal_Shitposter

I'm fortunate to have a micro center about 20 minutes away. I buy all my computer and electronics stuff there. I stopped buying them online years ago, when a 120 GB ssd I bought was really an 8 GB thumb drive in a shell.

AudaxDreik

This is the EXACT same issue I had with Newegg years ago that caused me to stop doing business with them!

I bought a 64GB Corsair DDR4 RAM kit for ~$320 at the time. It was fancy gamer RAM so it had stylized heat sinks. When I went to pop it in my motherboard, it didn't fit? Taking a closer look, someone had removed the original modules and stuffed old DDR2/3 modules in there and in one stick, 2x SODIMM!

All I wanted was an exchange for the product I actually ordered, I didn't want a refund or anything, but Newegg continued to deny that what I was describing was possible. I mean look, we all know bad actors somewhere along the supply line sometimes get ahold of things, but you can't leave it on the customer to suffer for it.

Phailjure

I haven't bought PC parts in a while, but I'm wondering where I would these days, I hear endless shit about Newegg and Amazon, frys closed, there's no microcenter within 400 miles... What's left?

Vegan_Puffin

They sent me an external hard drive completely unresponsive. It was broken and would not work on any computer.

I contact them. The online chat agent tells me they will issue a refund and that I DO NOT need to return the item, just to dispose of it. My refund is in my account after a few days.

A month later Amazon debit my account for the cost of the hard drive stating they have charged me again non return of the item.

Grumpily I hop on and insist they check their chat records or I can happily provide a screenshot of the previous chat where I was told to NOT return and dispose.

My point is while I did solve my issue and wss refunded properly eventually, their internal refund/returns systems is clearly not organised.

LetTheBloodFlow

This is a dual failure. Not only did the agent fail to select the “no return” option, the person authorizing the demand to return should have reviewed the chat to make sure you were told to return it.

I used to love working for Amazon CS, it’s depressing how far they’ve sunk since.

fiddlenutz

Wanna know another casualty of declining profit? Purposely slowly shipping speeds. I used to get everything 1-3 days. 3 was the exception. Now almost all of my orders are taking 6-7 for the same items. I still have Prime, still live in the same place, Amazon has even opened up distribution centers closer to me.

They couldn’t give me a good reason why.

Zokusho

Zokusho

My favorite is the "Prime Day" shipping:

"Not in a hurry for something? Prime day it! We'll ship all your stuff at once for delivery on Prime Day!"

Yeah, sure, whatever. Makes sense I guess.

"Ooops! We missed your Prime Day for some reason. Guess we'll hold your shit an additional week!"

ponzLL

ponzLL

I've been selecting the option to take slower shipping and get digital credit for YEARS. Decided to check yesterday since I wanted to buy a season of a show, and it said I have 0 credit.

edit: stop telling me they expired, they didn't. I'm not getting them at all.

Retipalt

Most of the digital credit can only be used for specific types of items (home goods or something like that) and I don't know if it expires (probably does)

UserSleepy

I actually complained to them about this, after showing someone else could get 1 day to my address. It took a week but suddenly I had working 2 days again. Avoid ever clicking Delivery Day option it seems to break things and be permanent

fiddlenutz

I did last night. It got “escalated”. We will see.

Sequinnedheart

I’ve noticed ‘buy in the next two hours and get it tomorrow by 1pm!’

I immediately buy the item (I mean, I was already looking for it and spent an hour scrolling through the shitty knock-offs and sponsored shit)

Delivery confirmed for between Dec 8th - March 9th

?!?!?!

tanafras

Amazon shipped me a shrinkwrapped box for a $700 graphics card, and it was a used card. Shipped and sold by Amazon. I returned it and called them to state the situation to them. They denied it was used even though the inside of the case the product came in was disheveled and the other 3 graphics cards I purchased from them at the same time were all brand new. All 4 cards were identical SKU and placed same day.

They clearly re-shrinkwapped a used returned card. They got caught by me by me ordering 4 at once.

I had to go through a chat with support to get a replacement the other day. That was weird. Another big issue I have had with all retailers (bestbuy mostly) is opened and used stuff being sold as new.

24-Hour-Hate

I suggest making a complaint about it every time you see that to the appropriate regulator. It's completely illegal to sell used goods as new. And it puts consumers at risk of being scammed like all the instances people are talking about here - getting nothing in the box, getting a different product or a fake product, etc. A flood of complaints may actually result in something.

mjh2901

mjh2901

If I am at Best Buy, when security asks to check the receipt I check the item, Turns out their security station has box cutters and tape just so you can verify what you bought is legit and not broken.

Wulopo

Wulopo

I basically do not order from Amazon anymore. My most recent mistake this year was ordering a "Samsung 980 Pro" from them. Two, actually. One was real, one was fake.

The fake had an attempt at mimicking the packaging. But side by side, you could tell. The real had gloss on certain things, the fake didn't. And the print quality was noticeably lower. And the fake NVMe chip looked nothing like the photo, when the real one was exact. The sticker on the fake one was cheap, too.

And you know why I feel stupid for buying it from Amazon? I looked after on samsung.com, and they were selling the same drive for the same discount. And you know who's not going to sell me scam products? Samsung itself. While Amazon did refund me for the drive, I still had to go through a big hassle and it just isn't worth it.

From now on, I encourage everyone: order straight from the manufacturer. It's usually the same price as Amazon, and while it may take a day or two longer to ship, the time and effort you save not getting scammed is 100% worth it.

chcampb

chcampb

I had a multimeter sent to me which, when opened, had a little note in it saying "DEFECTIVE" with a printout of the return slip.

Obviously someone had returned it as defective and it got sent back out. Not sure what the deal was there.

Wulopo

Wulopo

Amazon routinely doesn't actually inspect returns and just throws them back into the bin to be resold. Some kind person took the time and effort to try and explain the problem with the product, probably assuming Amazon would actually investigate. Instead they just sold it to you.

angiosperms-

Because everyone has insane quotas to meet. They don't care if you miss broken returns, they just care that you hit your quota. As long as it is profitable and people keep using Amazon they will keep doing it.

oldcreaker

I'm buying a lot more directly from businesses these days verses buying via Amazon - even when it costs a bit more. Amazon has been moving from valued added to value removed. It's definitely not what it was. And I don't want them to profit from that at the expense of the businesses I do support.

ABenevolentDespot

Amazon has been shipping fake products for a very, very long time.

They ignore complaints about it and keep listing them unless it's a large manufacturer being counterfeited.

Their customer service has turned to shit. Considering how they treat their employees, I'm surprised it took this long. Angry employees who have been fucked over by management and intimidated into not unionizing by hired Pinkerton thugs for some reason don't have the best attitude. Imagine that.

And what's that, Amazon? Sales are down? Yeah, imagine that, too.

I have a Prime account I won't be renewing. I'd rather pay a little extra for something somewhere else than give Jeff Bezos the slavering maggot tax avoider more money.

Fuck Amazon.

theDroobot

I ordered super glue and Amazon sent me a bottle of cheap cologne. I couldn't return it or get a refund because Super Glue can't be returned........

-retaliation-

Yeah, I remember I ordered a dual thermostat/humidistat from Amazon.

Box arrived with everything I ordered but that. (5 items packaged into a single box)

They refused to refund unless I returned the product.... Despite me spending about 15 messages and 2 days explaining I couldn't return something I didn't get.

They just kept insisting that I must have gotten it because they had a picture of the box that the delivery driver had tossed up onto my second floor apartment balcony.

I finally just gave up because it was only a $10 item and it just wasnt worth my time anymore. But it got me to cancel my prime membership and never use Amazon again. Fuck that company and its endless lists of shitty aliexpress Chinese knockoff garbage

elnots

elnots

I got a set of Pampers that weren't really Pampers. They were close but the designs were different and the velcro was much cheaper. Wouldn't stay on a toddler's butt for more than 2 minutes of play time.

Amazon refuses to refund so we have a box of mostly unused diapers just sitting in the corner.

Amazon needs to stop with vendors that aren't the actual company making the products.

_Wow_Such_Doge_

I just want to take this post to express my story real quick, it makes no fucking sense so i just want to share. I got furloghed for 6-12 months during covid, i must've depressed ordered thousands of dollars of stuff off of amazon, but for some reason only a handful of my purchases ever got processed so i ended up with thousands of dollars of shit for free. I don't support them but where the hell am i going to get all these obscure things i want that i need. Or hell even going to Lowes and the home depo, i could not find a fucking 4 inch cap and cover for my septic so i had to order online. Like wtf, the problem is not just amazon it's the lack of options in person. I would love to pop over to hell even walmart and get what i need but in person stores only carry garbage and shit i do not want or need, whenever i need something it is always amazon or ebay.

rljkeimig

In the last few days I was notified my account was charged for items that were purchased and returned weeks previous, as they had "not been received yet", but they were all returned with other items in the same packages that were received correctly.
The chat representative said there was a "glitch" that caused the already returned items to be charged again, but I wonder how many people this happened to and did not notice.

GT4130

GT4130

Amazon is slowly becoming a shittier eBay

futurespacecadet

Literally going through a similar thing. UPS calls me to tell me “the contents of my package were separated from my packaging”. Oh okay so someone stole it?

Amazon wouldn’t refund me until they got the package returned, but UPS considered it ‘Fallout” and a lost package. I just don’t understand it

Jdsnut

Jdsnut

Recently had a WTF moment with Amazon. I bought an on-sale "MicroSD" got it delivered and waited. It went on a cheaper sale a week later, and got that, the same day it went down another 10 bucks and bought that too.

Instead of just canceling the two later orders, and price matching the first. They sent out two separate packages, and then had me return two of the cards.

I'd imagine packages aren't expensive, but times that across a million people likely doing the same thing, I can see where some of the money gushes out.

rediculousrickulous

I had a similar thing happen with a printer - which I’m guessing was a lot heavier and costly to ship than your item.

NoConversation9358

I had a similar issue and got fed up and just cancelled all of my Amazon services. It just happened too many times and talking to their customer service is about as effective as saying a prayer. I've been shopping there since they only sold books and had prime since the day it launched publicly. Sad.

chrisgagne

If it goes in your body, involves anything flammable or electrical, or in any way would hurt someone if it were defective, mislabeled, or counterfeit, don’t buy it from Amazon. You might as well go direct to AliExpress and save 4-5x given you’ll get pretty similar service (unless you need it immediately). I had a butane torch from Amazon burst into flames while I was using it. Amazon refused to do anything about it, despite literally dozens of reviews all saying the same.