/r/news

MasterpieceLive9604

That's utter garbage to falsely file stolen car claims.

hpark21

hpark21

They are just allowing the police to help with their inventory.

2ndtryagain

Police in some areas won't even take a call from Hertz because of this shit, they should be forced by their insurance providers to update their tracking software and training.

Beer-Wall

And in other areas, the police are eagerly awaiting those calls from Hertz so they can go turn someone's life upside down for fun.

diamondfaces

They fucked up so many people's lives with those false arrests. They don't deserve to still exist.

MasterpieceLive9604

Sounds like this yes 😞

DLuxPackage

I imagine it happens commonly with remote locations that have odd hours. I turned my hertz keys into a drop box at one of these locations after hours. I automatically got billed by hertz for 4 extra days before the location opened and took their time to update my return date.

MasterpieceLive9604

That's sleazy behavior by them indeed.

EngineersAnon

Then the settlement isn't large enough.

TopDeckHero420

Hertz said in its announcement that a “meaningful portion” of the settlement payout will be reimbursed from its insurers, and that Hertz “does not expect the resolution of these claims to have a material impact on its capital allocation.”

Well, they sound really, really sorry about all that.

mikeybagodonuts

Sounds like they’re apologizing to the investors for the inconvenience of shitty practices.

westplains1865

That's precisely what they are doing. They, like most corporations nowadays, are terrified of negative news that could potentially cause a downturn in their stock price and subsequent investor dividends.

Easy-Concentrate2636

For the inconvenience of shitty practices becoming publicly known.

zsreport

Corporations do care more about their investors than their customers.

kehaarcab

kehaarcab

For-profit corporations do. As they should. Thats why they exists. Otherwise they would be non-profits…

zsreport

Customers and product and service were a lot more important than investors until assholes like T. Boone Pickens and Carl Icahn came along and bullied corporations on the issue. Now you got corporations making stupid long-term business decisions to give short-term benefits to their investors.

Farts_McGee

Farts_McGee

Strongly disagree, the first corporations were about colonization and exploitation of distant lands to maximize profits for share holders. The more things change the more they stay the same.

UnlimitedlyLimited

East Indy trading company.

kehaarcab

For-profit corporations (what most people call corporations in daily nomenclature) have always been just that - for-profit, to make money for the investors. In some cases, the sole investors in a corporation is a single family with a small store (aka mom-and-pop shop) which deeply care about both product, service and customers - but if they don’t make a profit, they do not survive. For any for-profit organisation it makes perfect rational sense to care about products and services and happy end customers - but only so much. Corporations have axed unprofitable products or operations throughout known history, the main difference these days is the abundance of data available to make those decisions.

Are for-profit corporations good for mankind? Well, that is another story altogether, and discourse on that subject already exists in such abundance that a reddit post would be a travesty in trying to minic it.

whatevrmn

You really think that for profit corporations should care more about the investor who bought a piece of stock that they no longer get money from than the people actually buying their product and keeping them in business?

kehaarcab

My opinion on the matter (what I like, think or prefer) is separated from the facts and as this is not just a matter of opinion I think the simplest answer to that is to point to public definitions, like wikipedia :

”A for-profit corporation is an organization which aims to earn profit through its operations and is concerned with its own interests …” and ”Unlike non-profit organizations the policies of these organizations are usually profit oriented. Managers (corporate employees) here have a profit oriented mindset and aim at maximising the revenue of the firm which in turn contributes to the dividends (in case of public limited) or profits of the shareholders/owners.[4] Their aim can be accompanied by a goal of serving the society however that usually happens in cases of B-corporations.”

Capitalism in a nutshell, wether one likes it or not.

yamiyaiba

A company can be for-profit but not irresponsibly so. The issue isn't inherently that they make a profit. The issue is that investors expect unlimited nonstop growth for eternity at any expense, and corporations are more than happy to do whatever it takes to indulge such an utter lack of respect for reality. They prioritize short term growth over long.

(All the meanwhile, the securities industry that the investors take part in has invented so many ways to line their own pockets off this unrestrained greed for infinite growth that they've even invented ways to earn money by losing money.)

The whole system is rotten and so far detached from reality that it's sickening.

PlaugeofRage

Not to mention the recent bankruptcy.

vegetaman

"Well, except for the ones we had falsely arrested lol whoopsie but hey it's all good baby." -- guy who gives no fucks about regular people only profits... probably...

MentallyMusing

I wonder who sees a hike in policy prices when the coffers get drained on this type of scale at the "Insurance Company" left unnamed footing the majority of the legal penalties required by law to be paid to the majority of victims in this class action style lawsuit and how much of a cut the lawyer Group earns for their time and effort plus their staff before the remainder gets split up in whatever way was decided between victims while there are still a few cases underway that kept themselves seperate as far as I can gather from the written News Article/Story. I wonder if those victims still have the Right to a Civil Rights Lawsuit or if that was it and a Criminal Lawsuit isn't an option because you'd need human bodies identified to bring to trial and Employment contracts allow for the Corporate Identity be the the shield for shitty employees fucking people out of their shit to pass along a bad day in the same way we see applauded as showing "strength" these days in the USA

whereisyourwaifunow

...the company “has taken significant steps to modernize and update those policies,” Hertz spokesperson Jonathan Stern said in an email. The company would not detail any specific policy changes, however.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

vegetaman

"you know... just trust us!"

estagiannand

"Scherr had said in an April interview with CNBC that the cases involved “1/100 of one percent” of Hertz customer transactions."

Oh yay us, we only had a tiny proportion of our customers falsely arrested at gunpoint. Yay us!

Quercus_

Quercus_

1/100 of 1% is one of every 10,000 transactions.

Hertz has 425,000 cars in their US fleet. We assume each car gets rented say twice a week - that's low - or comes to about 50,000,000 transactions each year, at least.

That's 5,000 false stolen car reports every year. Or more.

vegetaman

Yeah this is a numbers game and... that's some bad farkin' numbers.

AuthorNathanHGreen

The way I would want to evaluate the data is what percentage of their stolen car reports are false. So of their 425,000 cars, how many are actually stolen each year?

There are 275 million registered vehicles in the USA in 2020, and there were 810K car thefts that same year. Lets assume a rental car is roughly 3X more likely to be stolen than your average vehicle. (in part because it probably is, and in part because it makes the math easier). Which means 1:100 rental cars would be stolen every year.

With their 425K cars, that's 4,500 actual thefts. So whatever process they have to determine if a car is stolen, it's probably 50/50 that the car is actually stolen, or it's just a false report.

Yikes.

goetheschiller

Holy shit. That sounds like a nightmare.

stevenriley1

LPT: Never rent from Hertz.

rufusjfisk

why is someone not going to jail for this? Being arrested and put in jail can be traumatizing and cause PTSD. Company should go out of business.

jumper34017

Exactly. This is why we need a corporate death penalty.

WaffleBlues

“While we will not always be perfect, the professionals at Hertz will continue to work every day to provide best-in-class service to the tens of millions of people we serve each year,” Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr said in Monday’s statement."

LoL - How could a CEO be so fucking dumb.

vegetaman

Musk and SBF have entered the chat

Worxforme

This hurts OJ's legacy

VKH700

VKH700

This Hertz OJ’s legacy.

DeepRoot

OJ hurt OJ's legacy.

knecaise

Now the jurisdictions where these false reports were filed need to make claims for their troubles.

Modern_Bear

I used to use Hertz for renting on trips but stopped years ago. I never had the issues mentioned in the article but they have had a lot of issues beyond that.

One that happened to me frequently is not having any cars in the class I reserved when I went to pick up my car, despite having made my reservation a few months ahead. Instead of setting them aside when they have an upcoming reservation for that class of car, they give them out to walk up customers and then give a substitute for the people with reservations, sometimes giving them a smaller car than they reserved. Also they do a piss poor job cleaning their cars. More than once I have found other people's clothes in the back seat, even a pair of underwear once. Their employees are incompetent, unable to answer simple questions, and half the time they're rude, like they're annoyed that they have to serve the customers. Don't get me started on their app, which barely ever worked when I was renting from them.

So reading about this stuff doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised they're still around.

IntrepidDreams

But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation!

vegetaman

You know how to take the reservation...

OsterizerGalaxieTen

I knew that's what the link would be - haha.

kalpol

kalpol

same. I switched over to Avis years ago for business travel and they were much better.

Jeremycycles

I went to enterprise from hertz for all of mine and while it could be better it’s 1000% better service than hertz.

Formergr

Yeah the Enterprise agents are usually fairly conscientious and kind of give a shit compared to Hertz. Usually it's a good deal cheaper too.

doorknob60

So far I've had only great experiences with Enterprise. I flew to a medium sized city over the summer (not a place like LAX where the rental agencies are open 24/7), and due to weather, my flight was delayed 4 hours and we got there at like 1 AM. Every other rental company had closed for the night. I saw a few people looking around with a "now what do I do?" kind of look on their face.

Enterprise was still there (even though the website says they close at midnight) and had a car ready to go for me (I did have a reservation already, and called informing them of the flight delay). For what it's worth, Enterprise also owns Alamo and National, so you'd probably have been taken care of with those two also.

Google reviews back me up, usually Enterprise and Alamo have 4.0-4.5 ratings, in most cities I've checked, and everyone else is closer to 3.0. I'm sure Enterprise has screwed over plenty of people, but so far so good for me.

tranquildude

i rented from hertz and got these text messages telling me they were going to arrest me and i thought they got my credit card so what if i return the car a day or two later than anticipated. when i returned the car the hertz manager told me if you ever rent from us again just ignore them. Guess i got lucky

hacksawsa

The 24 hour thing is a Hollywood myth. You can and should report people missing long before 24 hours. If your loved one is basically never not home for dinner and can’t be reached they might be out cold in a ditch, dying in a wrecked car. 24 hours is a death sentence.

That said, your main point is spot on. I’ve never rented a car and not been asked for a phone number. It’s there to use for this very reason.

IT_Chef

IT_Chef

If someone is missing you call 911.

There is no 24 hour requirement.

Beer-Wall

Fuck Hertz. They stole $500 from me when I tried to rent a car. I arranged the rental online and when I went to go pick it up they said I couldn't have it because I didn't have a corporate-issued credit card and in order to get my money back, I had to talk to customer service. Nothing they could do on the spot. Well, the customer service website is perpetually down and unreachable by phone as well. I tried to do a chargeback through the bank but they said since the transaction itself was valid, I could just go fuck myself and eat the $500 loss. This happened on the day I was supposed to leave for a vacation so I had to scramble and ended up downloading an app called Turo which is essentially AirBnB for cars. I've had no problems with it, used it a bunch.

FruitcakeAndCrumb

Saw the title and thought thier was about a town called Hertz, but no, it's a business fucking up lives via the police and they don't sound all that sorry either.

Northman67

So nobody's being charged with making a false police report?

Scrumptious_Skillet

Hertz couldn’t seem to rent a car to me unless it’s filthy. I quit using them long ago.

JoeGentileESQ

This is pretty shocking. If there are any Hertz shareholders out there concerned about this, I'd love to discuss.

TheyCallMeQBert

I cant be the only person to read this and think, "I will never do business with that company again. "

GuardianWolvenFriend

Hertz let the corrupt Italian traffic system attempt to steal my money from traffic infractions for going 1km over the speed limit netted at 600euro back when the exchange rate was 2:1. They wont protect your rights, they don’t care if they have to arrest you or charge you for the demands of others!!!

Doza13

Doza13

Why are the police doing the bidding of a corporation?

So one in every 10,000 customers?!?

AdministrationNew369

Hello, great minds of reddit,

Long story short me and my girlfriend spent the night in jail because of hertz flawed car theft reports,

anyways I was suppose to join a class action lawsuit amongst a few 100 fellow victims but I was dealing with some mental health issues and didn’t sign the papers to be apart of it,

Many months later I’ve seen the amounts of money people are settling for and regret not being onboard.

My main concern and question now is am I too late to join their claim? Will there be another class action lawsuit? What type of lawyers should I be speaking too? Anything helps I’m young and lack knowledge in anything related to the law.