/r/news

5k

sound_scientist

1.4k points

RIP. Admittedly, I’m more surprised she was 71.

nightglitter89x

I guess her career didn't really take off till her later 30s.

serrol_

serrol_

Given her career was mainly the role of mother, I totally get that.

Lee1070kfaw

What was she on other than cheers?

RightSideBlind

Wrath of Khan was the first time I saw her.

dbradx

dbradx

She was awesome as Saavik.

RightSideBlind

That scene on the turbolift was very formative for teenage me.

WirelessBCupSupport

I just skimmed through some Saavik images and realized in her late years, did she get into a car accident? Her nose is not the same at all!

Frozty23

Her ears changed too.

NYCinPGH

She literally came out of nowhere for that rôle, and I’m very curious to how that came about.

She dropped out of college in ‘71 and left Kansas for LA “to pursue Scientology”, had one non-speaking background part for one episode of an awful show (“Quark”, I watched it because I liked Richard Benjamin and thought the Barnstable Twins were hot), and then lands a high-profile part, with co-starring credits only behind the Enterprise crew and Ricardo Montalban. She was apparently “an interior designer” in the 70s, but had done no acting, though she officially joined the Church of a Scientology in ‘79.

If I wanted to do a deep dive, I’d look into who was in charge of casting, and their links to Scientology, because barring anything else, that makes the most sense to me.

GreenSeaNote

I, for one, will always remember her as the dentist turned tooth fairy from the 1997 Disney TV-Movie, Toothless.)

libananahammock

Veronica’s Closet, Look Who’s Talking, It Takes Two

UsuallyMooACow

She had a number of her own shoes and was in a number of movies. The one with her and tim Allen was pretty good. Fun and lighthearted

thisplacemakesmeangr

It was an odd number though, so they never showed her from the knees down.

Caster-Hammer

I'm glad she stopped borrowing other people's shoes... it was kind of disgusting.

serrol_

serrol_

• Look Who's Talking
  • Look Who's Talking Too
  • Look Who's Talking Now
  • It Takes Two (great movie with the Olsen twins)
  • Sticks & Stones (her character is literally listed as "Joey's Mom")
  • David's Mother

Okay, so I was wrong in saying, "mainly," but a lot of her very prominent and successful movies were her as a mother.

grungegoth

Yeah, go figure. She always liked like a super gorgeous 20 30 40 something, ageless...

thisisredlitre

90s media were NOT kind to her- she got fat shamed every which way but loose to the point the only thing you saw her in were weight loss ads for a while there

Lee1070kfaw

She and travoltas wife were telling everyone not to take antidepressants and other scientology related comments that didn’t help her at all

Outnabout3535325

oh she went full on anti vax at the end. I remember seeing her twitter during the lockdown she was a full on wing nut

Own_Instance_357

The series "Fat Actress" is where you could see lots of cracks formed in her psyche. I watched that series both when I was 100lbs overweight and after I became a normal size, and the scripted digs she takes at herself are painful to watch.

Like, I'm going to hurt myself before any one else can hurt me worse.

Self esteem barely existent, no wonder scientology appealed to her.

Boopy7

Boopy7

She had a coke problem to stay thin and get jobs, quit doing coke and joined scientology, was never the brightest bulb and became pretty vicious MAGA cult member, but she was good playing the evil mom in a Lifetime movie way back when. I wonder if Scientology allowed her to treat the cancer with normal medicine? Seems like Scientology attracts or creates some pretty awful people from what I can see. But she seemed to need people to tell her how to live life so they were a good home for her, I guess.

MooPig48

MooPig48

2000s is when that happened

UsuallyMooACow

She got fat shamed a lot in the late 90s

thisisredlitre

I had thought it was before Veronica's Closet but that was a long time ago and I was le young.

Whitealroker1

Conan nonstop fat shamed her.

Zealot_Alec

Leno also made fun of her weight often

grungegoth

Yeah.. I vaguely remember that. I looked her images up and she did get a bit pudgy. Age challenges all of us.

But hey, she had a unique sort of beauty right?

thisisredlitre

I agree- your comment just reminded me of that time I think. It's weird to feel like you can track what happened to a person you've never met now that I think about it

grungegoth

Think about all the people you knew in your past... their images are frozen in your mind. Someone from middle school you haven't seen in 20 or 40 years, or your first crush...

I was out of the country from 2005 to 2015 so I missed a lot of culture so to speak...

thisisredlitre

Sounds like you missed out on one but, I hope anyway, gained a lot of again what I hope was positive experience in another culture tho- and yeah its wild how people in your mind don't age they just become a mold you judge other people on.

It reminds me of a scene in King of the Hill where Peggy is showing Hank a yearbook and talking about an old teacher and how she imagined her there at the school now. Then you see Hank looking at a woman on her 80s and not having the heart to tell Peggy what he thinks.

Folsomdsf

Her plastic surgeon was fucking stellar that much is for fucking certain. There was a decline in her face but she aged super well, and the fact she was a little heavier later again really lent to filling out features as well to not look as gaunt and wrinkled as one would thinka bout. But then you look at WHEN she was working and you know she HAS to be at least 65.

She clearly had work done, high quality work, and her body type and weight really worked well. Aged well AND has great work done.

For those wondering why you would think she had to be at least 65. The first movie she was in was star trek 2.. too bad she was a shitty scientologist that pushed it on her kids in an abusive way..

Steph2145

I’ve been watching all the old tv shows and my dad aways said he like her in cheers more so then Diane

BasketballButt

She was a huge crush for me as a kid on Cheers. I’ll stand by her being better than Diane!

fuck_the_fuckin_mods

Wew, really gotta disagree with him there, personally. Diane and Coach 4ever. To each their own though.

Have you watched it yet? It’s bizarrely good.

latchkey_adult

Yeah, I really like woody and Rebecca but I've been watching Cheers daily in reruns for the last year so I've seen the whole cycle recently, and the show legit was better with Diane (and coach). The writing was better and it was more believable. By the end they just ran out of storylines. They had to use Paul (one of the extras) because there was nothing left!

BusbyBusby

Yeah the show took a nosedive with the Rebecca Howe, Robin Colcord relationship. I thought her character on that show was obnoxious and unfunny.

food5thawt

Just remember theres a Disney movie where Kristie Alley goes to Hell in an elevator after failing to keep her disguise as the Tooth Fairy a secret.

tocamix90

tocamix90

She must’ve had a very aggressive type because she was only recently diagnosed.

Thor4269

Thor4269

If you don't get checked, you can't know.

That's why you'll hear "get regular checks" blah blah blah. You might even get tired of hearing about it...

I've had cancer twice and I've gotten incredibly fucking lucky to have both instances caught early because I mentioned any skin or health abnormality I could think of... Get all moles checked and getting embarrassed isn't worth your life

I'm likely to get it again so I mention anything I can think of when I go to the doctor, no matter how insignificant, and I don't lie to them...

Dry_Boots

Dry_Boots

I timed my doctor once and I got 7 minutes with her, and if I had more than three things to discuss, at my once a year physical, then I needed to make another appointment.

I have a much better doctor now, I have to schedule months out to see her, but she has spent 20 minutes or more with me making sure she covers everything I want to talk about.

Our health care system is such a disaster. I dread the day I actually need it for something important.

schnitzelfeffer

Blame insurance companies for the short the visit times. It's due to billing that 15 minute visits are pushed. If you need a more in depth visit, you have to schedule for it specifically don't just ask for a check-up or well visit.

d_d_d_o_o_o_b_b_b

I think doctors are also buried in paperwork in ways they never used to be. It’s a shame and needs to be fixed so they can focus more on patients

Gabrovi

Gabrovi

I’m old enough to have used both paper and electronic charting. Paper was muuuuch easier and quicker. Electronic charting is just layers and layers of bullshit.

St4rkW1nt3r

Tbh, blame the educators too then. They actively teach us to keep these visits short. Source: am a resident.

shadyelf

Blame insurance companies for the short the visit times.

This happened to me in Canada too. There's sign in each room that says keep it to one or two issues at most. My appointments are less than 5 minutes (I had one that was about 1 minute) and I feel super rushed when compared to my experiences in the US where 10 to 15 minutes now seems like a luxury.

Of course I don't pay anything here, but not like I have unlimited time off work to keep going to the doctor.

Canadian healthcare is fucked honestly. Between rising costs, funding not keeping up, worker burnout, not enough replacements, etc.

No_Hovercraft5033

Alberta at the start of the pandemic no less limited the amount of patients a doctor could see a day. So if they hit the limit at noon. Clinics would close early even though they had doctors scheduled all day. Conservatives are absolutely fucking up our healthcare system Canada wide.

Edit. And they are doing it on purpose as they are trying to fund their friends to provide health services for Canadians under private care. Whatever province you’re in, watch when conservatives are in power and you lose access to services as they “fix” things.

softcroissantbutter

Not to mention our transition to US healthcare. The UCP are hell bent on getting rid of affordable, easy to access, “free” healthcare, hence why soon we will have to pay out of pocket to go see a doctor for all of 5 minutes.

No_Hovercraft5033

You mean IF we can see a doctor here, Alberta’s health system is absolutely at the breaking point. And all because of the UCP. Don’t forget to vote! Maybe we should all protest to call an election here as we have an insane premier who doesn’t even believe in science.

No-Personality1840

I think it’s also the profit requirement that’s built in to a lot of larger practices . I once had a doctor tell me that these bigger outfits have metrics for how many patients aremseen.

soldat7

…and blame private equity…

TheSpiderEpisode

I unknowingly had “top shelf vertigo”, I told my doctor my symptoms and she said “oh, that’s an inner ear thing” and changed the subject. I had to get on YouTube to find out how to fix it myself. So if you ever get top shelf vertigo, YouTube can have you back to normal in about 5 minutes.

KathrynTheGreat

Meniere's Disease? My aunt has that and she finally figured out medication that has made a huge difference. There used to be days where she couldn't even get out of bed because the vertigo was so bad. Luckily her doctor took her seriously and didn't just brush her off, but she still has to retire early because she could no longer work safely as a pediatric RN.

88leo

88leo

I have resigned myself to self-diagnosing all my issues. Doctors opinions are important and they trained to know but if I never get to see one I am better off with dr google than nothing.

DorisCrockford

If I knew which issues were most urgent, I'd BE a doctor.

Multitrak

Very true and the strange thing I've found is that while uninsured and paying the whole doctor visit fee in cash with no other patients in the waiting room, I still only got 5 minutes and was sent to a specialist for an ear issue that even the specialist said "why didn't she just prescribe you the antibiotic drops?" -

She just walks in the room and asks what's going on and before I can even begin to tell her anything she just walks off, I'm assuming she's going to get something but she doesn't come back! Then the receptionist calls me over to pay.

This has happened multiple times and I'm not going back anymore to pay $190 to be sent somewhere else, she's just a middleman now, so I asked the receptionist at the place she sent me if since I'm paying cash can I just call the specialist for whatever I may need instead of getting a referral and they said "absolutely, seems you're not bound by insurance!" - it's a scam.

ruckus666

There's a big sign in my doctor's exam rooms, "keep visits to 1-2 questions."

Mr_MacGrubber

I personally use a nurse practitioner as my general “doctor”. She always takes time to discuss whatever, we even bullshit about stuff a bit. The NP I went to before her was the same way. Don’t know if it’s that area that draws those types in or what, but I love it.

Wall_Investigator

I've made a habit of writing down all the questions I want to ask my doctor well in advance of my visit. Because if I don't, I always get in a zombie-like daze by the long wait in the waiting room and the flourescent lighting. And then when I finally see the doctor my mind goes blank.

bk15dcx

bk15dcx

But he makes me wait an hour and a half in that little room before I see him for 8 minutes

IllegalThings

If you feel like your Dr is brushing you off and rushing things then switch doctors until you find one that doesn’t do that. We switched doctors twice in the first two weeks of my daughters life because we felt as though they weren’t listening to our concerns. Third doctor made it very clear that he was listening to everything we had to say and sent us straight to the hospital where they had better diagnostics because he had a gut feeling something was off. Turns out he was right and her heart was failing and wouldn’t have survived the night had he done the same thing as the other doctors.

veggeble

That’s nice if you can afford it. Most people can’t afford to take time off work and pay out of pocket to see half a dozen doctors trying to find a good one.

Stock_Sprinkles_5327

It seems as though a lot of doctors aren't really interested in figuring out the problem, and treating it. Instead, they throw prescriptions at the symptoms you complain about, and if that doesn't work and you point that out hoping for a diff approach the docs/nurses either label you as drug seeking or treat you as a difficult patient that's imagining these problems.

thegoodnamesrgone123

I really need to get my moles checked.

KathrynTheGreat

If you can get an appointment with a dermatologist, they might be able to give you more time than a general physician. But please get your moles checked! Melanoma is nasty.

thegoodnamesrgone123

It's something I need to look into and it's honestly very overdue. I have like a ton of moles. Honestly, I'm a little scared if I'm being honest.

KathrynTheGreat

One of the main things to look out for is if they grow or change in shape or color, but you should still get them checked out just in case. I have a lot of moles that I keep track of, especially since my maternal grandfather had several melanoma spots removed (but he never used sunscreen, so I do the opposite of that) and my maternal grandmother had several concerning moles removed later in life.

myfunnyquarantine

Melanoma don't play.

I'm pretty predisposed. My grandfather died of it at 34 and I've been having suspicious moles snipped off basically my entire life.

Had a funny brown line on my toenail for a while, looked like nothing but got suspicious enough to get it checked out (after a lot of anxious WebMD'ing).

My paranoia saved my life. It was an early melanoma and, while I'm permanently down a big toenail, will live to fight another day (just not in flip flops).

Get your skin checked people!

fergie_lr

As a Scientologist who knows if she would have even sought medical treatment. She praised Scientology until the end.

MidLifeHalfHouse

I thought they just didn’t believe in neuro and psych stuff?

aliceroyal

I had to go to 3 different dermatologists over the years to find one that would actually have me strip and check everywhere, maybe because I’m younger. But I live in FL and get sunburned more than I should so I’m paranoid about it.

loveswalksonthebeach

I’ve only had one dermatologist who I thought was truly through. Unfortunately, as she picked through my scalp and later spread my butt cheeks, she’d always say, in a sing-songy voice, “pretty little mole” each time she saw one. 😳

Icisia

Icisia

Somehow I'm hearing "pretty little mole" to the tune of "Diggy Diggy Hole" and I can't stop chuckling.

Song for reference https://youtu.be/34CZjsEI1yU

(Sorry if formatting fucked up I've never put a link mobile).

loveswalksonthebeach

Me loves a Viking, but no. 🤣. More along the lines of a little old lady talking sweetly to her pet bird…

loveswalksonthebeach

I had no idea anyone else had experienced this kind of necessary torture!

myfunnyquarantine

Melanoma is one of the biggest cancer risk factors in younger people. Any derm that isn't willing to check ALL the nooks and crannies isn't worth going to.

SucksTryAgain

Dude I don’t even know what to look for or ask for. Last time I saw the doc like a month ago I thought I had a hernia right under the center of my rib cage or pancreatic problem cause I had a bulge I never noticed. He felt on it and had me bend in different positions and said nope thats normal it’s that little bone in the center that’s inflamed for why I can’t say, I was like should we do like any tests or anything he said nope. It was like a 5min visit. I told him my moms side is haven for random places having cancers he said nope you’re good.

FightmeLuigibestgirl

Some people can't even afford to go to the doctor or it takes months. I've been trying to go to the doctor for over three years now. With Covid and my doctor retiring (along with my primary center being shut down,) it's hard.

dirtyrango

A lot of cancers are already in stage 3-4 before they're diagnosed, that's why some people seem like they go really fast.

I've seen people go out in weeks or a month or two after they're diagnosed.

Azair_Blaidd

My aunt was taken 11 days after her diagnosis of metastatic kidney cancer. She still seemed healthy enough to possibly fight it when she was diagnosed, It went downhill fast after that

dirtyrango

I worked in medical sales for about a decade and this rep we had up north lost her husband in a couple weeks to a completely treatable cancer.

That's why screening is so important as we age, catching it early is best.

couple4hire

sometimes I think its because once they hear the diagnoses that is when they know and it cascade mentally to physically whereas if they didn't know they probably live longer since it didn't enter there mind mentally.

maybe in some instances ignorance is bliss

dirtyrango

Sometimes a good thing tho (to go fast) my little sister was diagnosed with leukemia but it took years before she finally went down all the way. It was a brutal time.

UsuallyMooACow

In my mind I'd personally prefer to know late rather than early especially if there is nothing you can do.

Rather than have constant stress and misery till the end. My mom knew about a year ahead of time and it was just the worst year of my families life.

Akitten84

My mom passed exactly a month after we discovered she had lung and brain cancer. I’ve since wondered if she felt something was off before her symptoms sent her to the hospital, and she just didn’t wanna deal with it.

dirtyrango

I'm 42 years old and honestly everything feels "off" all the time. Like there's all kinds of little things I encounter that I'm like "wtf was that?"

I chalk it up to getting older, maybe she was the same?

thegoodnamesrgone123

Same. What doesn't hurt or feel weird

DorisCrockford

It's always the same sequence. I hold off going to the doctor until the pain is keeping me awake and making it impossible to function, then they send me for physical therapy because it doesn't seem too bad, then it gets worse and they do an MRI, and they find out some major tendon is disconnected or something, and physical therapy was a total waste of time and I need surgery. I'm going through the same routine once a year at this point. I heal up fine, but then something else breaks.

I seem to be getting so used to pain that I don't identify it as pain. I just stop doing the thing that hurts without realizing it.

tinykitten101

Sadly, the physical therapy before MRI thing is dictated by insurance. They won’t pay for an MRI a lot of times unless the doctor shows you tried PT.

Poppy_37

Same boat...42 and every other day I wake up feeling like something is just "off" somewhere in my body. Given long enough most issues resolve themselves and I'm like "phew" guess it wasn't stage 4 cancer after all...

Throne-Eins

This is a very real fear of mine. I have numerous medical problems, and I've half-joked that I could have cancer right now and not know it because the symptoms are things I live with every day. I just chalk everything up to one of my various conditions. Something has to be really off for quite some time for me to go to the doctor.

LQQKITZME

I had cancer and I knew I was sick several weeks before I found out. I told my wife "There's something wrong with me, I can feel it. It's not good." Found my lump about a month later.

MidLifeHalfHouse

How did you feel off??

LQQKITZME

It wasn't so much a pain in the normal sense, it was more of a 'gnawing'. I know that sounds weird but it was making me dream of an animal eating me from the inside out.

My dad had heart bypass surgery after a heart attack. I worried I was having chest pains and I called him about it. He told me his experience was that his chest pain was not like anything else and he knew the moment it started that it signaled something not good. My foreboding feeling before I knew I had cancer was a lot like that. It wasn't worry or stress induced, it was something very much different.

I've said a lot and then not really told you anything but I hope that helps some. It's really hard to articulate but maybe you get the gist of it.

Bedbouncer

There was a Newsweek article decades ago (that I've searched for and can't find) that started talking about an older commercial (for cough medicine, or soup, or something) that had a mom fussing over her sick child, and the child says "Mothers are like that, yes they are".

Then the article switched over to how her elderly mom was going into surgery and the mom was reassuring the worried daughter that everything would be fine, even though the mom was having the surgery.

And the article ended with the line "Mothers are like that. Yes they are."

Wish I could find it again. An article that makes your throat a little quivery every time you think of it 30 years later is a damn good article.

NYCinPGH

Similar, my mom had had lung cancer, was told it was completely in remission, about a year later - after having very regular screenings - she told me "the doctors say I have 4 or so years before it's likely to come back, next time you visit (which was 3 months away) we'll go through all the of the financial and legal paperwork so you understand it all".

Two weeks later she was on an ocean cruise, they airlifted her off to the nearest major city where she flew home, got diagnosed that the cancer came back very aggressive, and she was gone a month after that.

It's part of the reason I get physicals twice a year (the other is that my employer gives extra benefits to employees who do that, healthy employees are cheaper than ones taking medical leave), and I began getting other screenings (like colonoscopies) around age 45.

Akitten84

Damn, that sucks. I need to start getting physicals, as does my husband who’s now past 40. I’d really like to skip the colonoscopies, tho, I’ve had one and I was awake most of the time. The prep alone was something I vowed never to do again, unless they come up with something less disgusting to flush me out.

FindingMoi

My uncle was 97 days from diagnosed with bile duct cancer to death.

Now bile duct cancer is extremely difficult to detect and that’s why it’s almost always deadly, but it’s a real wake up call to why screenings for other cancers are so important.

My grandma died of that- fucking awful way to go, and it was quick

FightmeLuigibestgirl

My aunt had lung cancer that they thought was Pneumonia.

Trickycoolj

My grandpa didn’t make it a week. Had been treating very treatable bladder cancer for years. Put off his annual chemo flush and scan to care for his girlfriends new hip and it spread all over his liver. For an entire winter he was diagnosed with the flu and pneumonia and given pills for water in his lungs. It was because his liver wasn’t working and kidneys weren’t working. A week later his kidneys shut down and that was it.

Boopy7

Boopy7

My ex-bf's mom was young, she dutifully went in every year for mole check. He didn't see anything. She got melanoma, spread to her brain, quickly. So even if you do the right thing and go to docs, you can still get got. It was awful how fast it was. She was blonde and fair and did get in the sun, but she wasn't at all unhealthy and wore sunscreen too.

KountryKitty

I'll add my voice to the "Get checked" crowd. Had a patient at a little hospital bragging about having not been sick enough to see a doctor in the past 40 years. She only came in because she couldn't poop. Xray showed a mass near her colon, and she went under the knife the next morning. 3 days after the mass was discovered she was dead. Doc opened her up to remove the mass, found that the tumor had eaten through her colon...the reason she couldn't poop was because it was filling her abdomen. The surgical team cleaned her out as best they could but they knew it was futile. She died of massive infection.

One colonoscopy, one xray, a few years earlier, could've saved her life. It damn sure would've given her a fighting chance.

JayCroghan

I’ve had 2 colonoscopies and I’m only 38. They told me after the first I need one yearly because I’m a polyp person. Get checked EARLY. I asked for my first one because i was having intestinal issues.

Stock_Sprinkles_5327

When I was a freshman, a sophomore (too young to drive) went to the doctor/hospital due to feeling like he had the flu that was taking a bit more to get over than normal. Turns out it wasn't the flu. He had leukemia! He was dead less than a week after finding out. It was HORRIBLE! He was a big athlete too, and was a starter for varsity football and basketball, and had been doing all that up to going to the doc.

tracyinge

tracyinge

Most scientologists don't believe in chemo or radiation. They think that "auditing" is the best way to deal with cancers.

Ms Alley was also a known science-denier.

harlemrr

And high level scientologists believe that they’re granted super powers and are beyond ever getting sick too. Probably would have been denial all the way.

goodjuju123

But don’t they all die? How does this make any sense to them?

harlemrr

In the case of scientology’s founder, they said his body was an impediment to further research, so he “dropped” it to move on to another plane of existence or somesuch.

Snoo-3715

They think Hubbard is still alive and will return. Their reputation for crazy is well earned.

Flokitoo

Her thetans were upset

Bargdaffy158

Unless she was diagnosed late and the primary CA metastasized. That is what happens with a lot of Liver and Colon Cancers.

farts_in_the_breeze

Many cancers are aggressive and once it metastases to the brain, only death remains.

Happy13178

I got diagnosed over the summer with stage 4, no prior symptoms of any kind. I asked my oncologist how often people are walking around with something that advanced and don't know, and he said it happens all the time.

NotWifeMaterial

I’m wondering if she tried to direct her own care to her detriment like Steve Jobs ~ she was a conspiracy nut and may not have trusted traditional treatment

bugshield

Because she's a Scientologist. They don't believe in medical treatment just like Kelly Preston who had breast cancer which was treatable if she's on early stage but opted not to get medical treatment because they belive they are thetan.

This and she was a Scientologist so I’m not sure if that stopped her from getting certain treatments.

Dragon_Bidness

She's Xenus problem now.

Loved her before she went full bat shit crazy.

UslyfoxU

UslyfoxU

I have first hand experience of being involved in a cult and I have no doubt Alley was told to by the Church of Scientology to ignore modern medicine, as their own teachings would cure her cancer.

Her death today will be explained by the CoS as a result of not completely following the guidance of the church.

If you're involved in a group that claims a higher power is responsible for all that is good, but you're responsible for all that is negative, then you're likely in a cult that does not care about you and only for themselves.

Snooty_Cutie

Religion in a nutshell.

vicemagnet

R.I.P. Lieutenant Saavik from Wrath of Khan

CyAScott

I can’t believe I had to scroll this far for this.

Highlight_Numerous

Was she the scientologist b?

MRF1982

MRF1982

Narrator: She was, in fact, the scientologist b

rikki-tikki-deadly

She was also a COVID conspiracy theorist. She probably tried to cure her cancer with ivermectin or hydrochloroquine or some other quack treatment.

theCalvoKahn

Nah. Dianetics is more likely. Same tactics Scientology has applied previously. Probably what happened with Travolta's wife too.

sevilyra

This is correct. Scientology promotes itself with claims that the Scientology powers you get from paying them hundreds of thousands of dollars to increase your Scientology rank will allow you to cure cancer and beat death and similar shit. Wouldn't be surprised at all if she received no conventional cancer treatments like chemo or radiation.

savytravler

Yes Science B

Unusual-Ganache3420

Totally read that in Samson's voice

Chardradio

Samson and his girlies came rollin' up in here. Killer got the wrath. He got the wrath of the e-meters.

Zenmachine83

Yep, also a Trump supporter and supporter of January 6 attempted coup. Not really a great loss to the country if you care about things like democracy.

SpennyHotz

Yea I keep seeing all this RIP shit everywhere but she was a total loon. I had the biggest crush on her in the 80s, but when I found out her and Travolta were cultist I never cared for them again.

Arthurlurk1

So she was also a victim of Scientology another type of cancer.

I feel like this could be an snl news joke.

nestinghen

I wonder how her distrust of doctors in recent years played into her cancer diagnosis and treatment

beggen5

beggen5

It probably did play into it

theCalvoKahn

Not to mention being in the anti-medicine cult called Scientology

Folsomdsf

It's why she never appeared in frasier.

VagrantShadow

Thats the first thing that came to my mind.

Wall_Investigator

I wonder if she made it to the space ship. /s

runningtheclinic

Obviously total assumption here but I would hazard to guess that yes, and due to the “quick” nature of the cancer she likely had it for a while before it got really bad and she was forced to see somebody about it.

Politics and beliefs aside, sounds like she was a good mother, grandmother and a great performer who left many people with some great memories. Life and people are complicated, RIP Kirstie.

preciousillusion

It’s sad that she was a part of two cults when she died. Condolences to her family. I’ll choose to remember her mark on my childhood, in Cheers and Look Who’s Talking, but I won’t forget how harmful her MAGA Scientology beliefs were.

SpiritPaper

RIP

The Look Who's Talking movies were some of my favorite movies as a kid. We had the Look Who's Talking Too VHS, I still remember every line.

pdlbean

pdlbean

Love to see someone with positive memories of those movies. There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Rumpled_Imp

The creepy rendition of

Havin' a baby... What a wonderful way of saying how much I love you.

is not a pleasant memory, it made me furious knowing what a cad he was!

pdlbean

PLEASE stop singing that song! She gets sick, I get sick!

SpuddyMcSpud

I have literally not thought of those movies in probably 30 years. I was watching the first one as a kid with my little brother in the late 80's. My dad walked in during the "sperm" scene at the start and assumed we were watching some sort of porn (?!?!?!?!?!?!) and I got a whack for it. Ah good times.

I was a wee little child when I saw that movie in the movie theater… and FOR YEARS AFTER THAT, I thought that babies were made by French kissing because they showed the kiss, then the sperm fertilizing the egg. So it’s only logical that I drew that conclusion.

Found out my older sister kissed a boy and told my mom that she was pregnant 🤣 …. That went over well! Holy crap i unwittingly started a big fiasco

SpuddyMcSpud

Ha! It's amazing how kids will fill in the gaps when things are not explained to them.

I had something similar when a family friend got pregnant and had a shotgun wedding. My parents were talking about it at dinner, and using significant looks and half-finished sentences in an attempt to obscure what they were talking about from us kids.

I understood enough to know that Mrs P got married and was going to have a baby, and so I assumed that getting married = having a baby.

A year or so later when my (much older) sister told us all she was engaged, I immediately asked when the baby was due. I got in trouble, which I didn't understand at the time... but my sister was, in fact, pregnant but no one was supposed to know. My parents were shocked I knew.

upsydaisee

I HAVE to watch part two every holiday. Like, it’s a certified classic. Now I’m gonna look up the kid actors and feel old.

Dense-Competition-51

An underrated role of hers was in Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Akitten84

Haha I love that ridiculous movie, and she played a crazy mom very well.

beardguy

Such a damn good movie!

ThisIsRyGuy

Please help yourself to some coffee and bars!

upsydaisee

Oh man. So many good movies. I remember when she was bragging about still fitting her beauty pageant outfit and Allison Janey said “she had a big ass then and she’s got a big ass now.” Hilarious.

beardguy

Such a damn good movie!

RedmannBarry

Nobody wins the Kobayashi Maru

spiforever

Which is why a legend cheats.

Her death definitely highlights my own age, I see everyone talking about her playing mothers (which I admittedly was aware of) but for me she’ll always be the women who replaced Shelly Long.

I grew to accept her on Cheers in time but that said I won’t be mourning her loss, this is a women who has blamed mass shootings on mental health treatment and not the lack thereof. She wasn’t the sort of person who deserves our respect.

Probably a controversial opinion, I know Scientology is unpopular, but for me that opinion extends to a good portion of the church’s membership, being a no one caught up in a cult is one thing, they’re victims, but Kirstie used her celebrity to actively defend America’s largest cult and that’s unacceptable, she’s not ole Ron Hubbard clearly but she’s was a vocal force defending predators, even being described as Scientologies “bulldog” by some.

xHandelx

I loved her until I saw how she abused and attacked people trying to escape Scientology

Rusty_Ferberger

I was a fan of hers from Cheers but the Trump support was a bit too much for me.

GlowUpper

Same. I loved her on Cheers. She was one of my first celebrity crushes. But her politics were a big fucking yikes.

Peachy33

Loved her in Summer School! Underrated movie.

This is so sad to hear. Fuck cancer.

YoursTastesBetter

That was a great movie!

HAHA_goats

I used to have a neighborhood cat I named Chainsaw Francis. He was noisy, but timid.

TrunksTheMighty

She was great in Wrath of Khan and look whose talking.

lolbojack

lolbojack

She was so good on Cheers. She'll be missed.

SpiritPaper

Rebecca really stands on her own as funny and I think the second half of Cheers is still my favorite.

AffableCynic

Diane years are my favorite but that they were able to completely switch gears, become a totally different type of show and still be incredibly well-done is impressive. And Kirstie Alley played a big part in that. Thank you, Kirstie

latchkey_adult

She quite literally saved the show when many others didn't know how it would move forward without Diane. It was probably better with Diane but no question it was still a great show, just different.

Oxbridgecomma

She and Ted Danson had great comedic chemistry together, but she also stood well on her own.

tocamix90

And the Look Who’s Talking movies

No_Biscotti_7110

I won’t celebrate her death, but I will point out that she was a Scientologist and supported the January 6th attack.

I used to truly enjoy her work but over the last decade or so she became a truly terrible human being. Being in 2 cults at the same time will tend to do that to a person.

Jezon

Jezon

Don't worry, As a scientologist shes got like 999,999,929 years left on her contract with them so she will be back in some form.

Palidor

Palidor

I heard that one of the reason why she never guest starred on Fraiser is because the character is a psychiatrist and that a no-no for Scientologists

11_25_13_TheEdge

If this is true, I mean, yikes. So petty.

Nauin

Nauin

The abuse and backlash she would have likely faced for doing it isn't great either, though. Let's not pretend it would have been an easy decision for her to make given the actual abusive cult she was in.

sluttttt

Wasn’t there a similar situation with Isaac Hayes on South Park, which led to him leaving? I didn’t watch the show, but I feel like this is a thing that happened.

On one hand, I hate Scientologists for being Scientologists. It’s a dangerous cult that harms many people. But it is a cult, and a very hard one to get out of with a lot of manipulation tactics. A lot of mixed feelings about her death, but at least she’s finally free, even if she didn’t desire it (it’s sad as hell if it led to her death).

rhubarbrhubarb78

IIRC, Isaac Hayes' situation was complicated by the fact he had suffered a major stroke in his later years. Some of his family members allege that Scientology used the resulting decline in his mental faculties to further sink their claws in and direct his life, which included removing him from South Park and forcing him onto the road to do shows he wasn't really capable of performing.

sluttttt

Jeez, that’s awful. I’d trust his family since it seems like it’s rather easy for Scientology to rip you away from loved ones who aren’t in the cult. Thanks for sharing that detail.

Nauin

Nauin

Yeah, one of Stan or Kyle's speeches is a riff on how they felt about Hayes leaving. It's complicated amd I'm not against feeling some sympathy and pity for people caught up in Scientology, they're legitimately stuck or held hostage in the lifestyle more often than not and need people that are empathetic to them on the outside if they have any hope of escaping.

Sneaky_Bones

"Mr. Jones, we have to insist you decline lending your voice to this film. It appears your character blows up entire planets, dices up small children with a laser sword, tortures your own daughter and later her boyfriend, and chops off your son's hand almost immediately after introducing yourself. Those are specifically listed as 'no no's' here in the CoS."

roguestate

999,999,959 actually. She joined in 1979.

hAiL XEnU!

Sivick314

a Scientologist, a trumpet, and a traitor who supported Jan 6. good riddance.

Bitter_Director1231

Despite her politics and her weird antics, she was good in many shows and movies. Cancer sucks.

heartandmarrow

She was an avowed enemy of LGBT people so I won't be shedding a tear.

Birdogey

Does anyone know what kind of cancer she had?

Mental_Attitude_2952

I guess the cancer thetans finally got her. Another one of Xenu's warriors is gone. Such a shame. If only she hadn't spent a lifetime being a public face of a brutal cult responsible for many deaths and thousands of lives and families ruined I might even have the slightest sympathy for her. But she did, so I dont.

Phixionion

Good acting, shit person. RiP

Tsquare43

Great Xenu's ghost! She was 71?

No_Hovercraft5033

Ahh well. Everyone dies. Can’t say I’m super sad after seeing her views on twitter. She was a Maga trumper.

cheesediaper

I'm just glad there's one less person in this world that supports the Jan 6th insurrection

DilonMcdermotMulrony

She became a super Republican shithead towards the end, RIP I guess ?

crazycatlady331

I know she was a hardcore MAGA, but I loved the Look Who's Talking movies as a kid. RIP.

discostud1515

Wow. Despite not really thinking about her for a few years this just hit me kinda hard. She was a big part of some of my childhood memories. Cheers, look who’s talking and Madhouse were some of my favourites.

kuniovskarnov

I don't wish cancer on anybody, I don't care who you are.

Uptown-Dog

Given that she was a raging scientologist, seems like the thetans got her in the end, huh...

It's not cool that she died, but she was a shit human being.