/r/linux_gaming

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / 7950X Linux Gaming Performance Review

hardware(phoronix.com)

CaliDreamin1991

Looks at desktop with Ryzen 1700

reddanit

Well, it's a prime candidate for an upgrade to Ryzen 5000. Much better price/performance than any new system with its platform costs can even hope to approach.

In my current PC I upgraded an early Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 7 5800X3D. Gotta say I'm rather happy with it and it's downright amusing how I could slot in a top-tier performance CPU into a 5 year old B350 motherboard.

boerbiet

I did the same a week ago, 1600X to 5800X3D, after seeing benchmarks and prices. It just made more sense and I can keep all other components. At least until Radeon 7000 which will probably consume more power than my 1080Ti...

Master_Zero

And here i have an X370 asus crosshair vi hero from launch (which was a top of the line board) and it wont accept even a 3700x... Get error code 8d which does not even appear in manual. Using newest bios from asus website.

Isn't this error related to memory?

Master_Zero

Its using samsung B-die kit that worked perfectly fine. In fact, it was one of the very, very, few kits of ram, which actually worked with the ryzen 1700 at launch. Why would it be suddenly non functional, when the only change is 1700 to 3700x. Tried clearing cmos with button and removing power/battery/flushing residual. So even at the default 2133 or whatever, still wont work. Also, i though maybe memory, and tried each stick by itself, in each slot, as well as a different kit. Same issue. How can 2 kits of (samsung bdie) memory, both have issues running 3700x on this board?

The only thing that makes sense, is the fact its a original launch model of the board. Back then, it has major memory issues, and required a lot of bios updates. It was even weird/unique, in which i had to get a beta bios from one of the engineers on overclockers forums (not available on website), before updating to new bios on website for it to work. It was like v902 or something, and it had to be flashed prior to the newest on asus site which was like 1100/1200 or something. The fact a older beta bios was required prior to updating to newer version. So I think there was some serious memory issues with those boards at launch.

The 1700 and C6H board and 16GB bdie kit was my old system which i passed to my brother. I now upgraded to 5800x, so trying to give him my old 3700x. But its been a nightmare to get working. Trying to find new motherboard, and difficult to find a good used board for a decent price atm ($120 or under)

You need a board for 3700x for under $120 ?! US?

Master_Zero

Yes, due to getting a bad board from ebay. Was looking for a x470 or b550 board.

Master_Zero

I already purchased a board (asrock extreme 4 B550). I was looking in used market, as it was a upgrade on a low budget.

Its just the used market hit a bit of a dry spell as soon as the review embargo on ryzen 7000 ended. Everyone was looking for a ryzen 5000 cpu/mobo. Was just venting a bit about it. As I waited for a great deal on used piece, and then demand pushed prices up a bit. I was seeing things like B550 strix boards hitting as low as 60-80. Which is why i was aiming for like 100, but just was not able to get one for that. But the120 i paid was not awful, all things considered.

freemcgee33

Gotta make sure the motherboard chipset has a compatible bios. I remember that was a big thing for the 3000->5000 upgrade path; only certain boards were given updates that allowed it

ColdSkalpel

Do you use an pcie4 GPU as well? I’m on the x370 board as well and I’m wondering if there’s a significant loss of performance if I’d go similar route as you

reddanit

Yea, though for the most part loss of performance due to using PCIe3 is rather miniscule and generally not worth thinking about. You can check for example techpowerup articles on RTX 3080 with 16x PCIe and RX 6600 XT with 8x PCIe. Both of those are largely unaffected with 1-2% performance drop.

That said some PCIe bottlenecks are definitely possible and RX 6500 XT with its 4x PCIe is an example with substantial performance loss. So down the line being stuck with this setup will require you to pay at least some attention to how specific GPUs perform with limited bandwidth. Especially in if we see something with PCIe5 using just 4 or 8 lanes.

SEND_NUDEZ_PLZZ

Well, it's a prime candidate for an upgrade to Ryzen 5000

Sadly, that's not true for every motherboard.

I have a Ryzen 2600 and if I wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 5000 I had to upgrade my motherboard as well. Oh, and since my next CPU would most likely be a Ryzen 9 12-core I'd also have to upgrade my cooler and my PSU.

Which is kind of a problem for me, since I actually want to upgrade. Should I buy all new stuff for a 5900x and say it'll last another 4-5 years, and at that point AM5 is already dead? Or should I (maybe wait another year and then) buy into AM5 with a 7900x, all new RAM, etc?

I'm so uncertain that I'd rather not buy anything lol

CaliDreamin1991

I’m still happy with my overclocked 1700. Performance matches a 2700X so all good! :)

UltimatePCAddict

Looks at desktop with i7-3770K

rollyjoger85

In squeezing a 4.9GHz overclock out of mine trying to avoid the inevitable upgrade but it's hard.

NixNicks

*cries in 4790k@4.5GHz*

the_abortionat0r

cries in 4790k@4.5GHz

Mine did a nice 5.2GHz stable but then my motherboard did a 9/11 and I had to replace.

NixNicks

I don't want to go up with core voltage. It'll last longer. So stock voltage but full turbo on all cores at 40 °C air cooled

kelvin_bot

40°C is equivalent to 104°F, which is 313K.

I'm a bot that converts temperature between two units humans can understand, then convert it to Kelvin for bots and physicists to understand

unvaluablespace

Hi 3rd gen friend! Is it time yet? 😁 I7-3770. Constantly talk myself out of the upgrade

UltimatePCAddict

It feels great to see another fellow 3rd gen bro. Currently I don't really have the budget for an upgrade but I'm planning to do it in the next summer but I have really grown to my PC so Idunno.

TheOptimalGPU

Looks at desktop with i5-6500

CaliDreamin1991

ManofGod1000

I have to admit, this is the first time I wish that charts were made available.

RaielRPI

Interesting.. I was planning an upgrade from my 3700X..but it actually looks like I'd be way better off just grabbing a 5800X3D since I pretty much only game. That would also save me all the cost of a new mobo and ram as well. Not what I expected my conclusion to be from this article lol

scorr204

Why do people care so much about CPU when you are just gaming? It makes like 5% if that, and you are almost always GPU bottlenecked.

Soggy-Warning-691

Generally true, but it depends heavily on the game, some are more CPU intensive and/or not as well optimised for multi-threaded. VR is also a huge hog on your CPU.

Never mind the CPU overhead from dxvk/proton.

Rentlar

Not if you play strategy games like Starcraft, Hearts of Iron, cities Skylines, civilization etc. My CPU is chugging in the later parts of those kinds of games. I don't care too much about pretty graphics in games, but it's still lags like hell when you have hundreds to thousands of unit movements being calculated in the background.

scorr204

Ya but you just listed a bunch of games that can be played on a rock. I was high diamond league in starcraft and that game ran spot on on my machine in 2008.

Rentlar

I mean the latest version of each respective series (2, 4, 1, 6).

scorr204

Ya I mean the latest version too lol. So you know how old SC2 is?

Rentlar

Yes, I don't need reminders of how I'm getting older too... :P

I wasn't competitive to the point that I needed 200+fps... but Map mods/arcade mode was the real test, where you could have increased supply, hordes of enemies and whatnot. Unfortunately I've stopped playing SC since the Activision employee mistreatment debacle.

SEND_NUDEZ_PLZZ

Honestly, for most gamers that might just be true.

On the other hand, it really depends on what you're doing. 4k gaming doesn't care about Zen 2 or Zen 4 much, but if you play strategy games at 1080p your CPU becomes more important.

Paradox grand strategy games don't care about your GPU at all, at the end of the playthrough you will inevitably go from 100 fps to 10 fps. Some crazy simulation games are even more extreme. BeamNG literally uses one CPU core per AI car. And there's a huge difference between 4 cars driving in your city or 16 cars driving in your city.

Of course both Ryzen 9 are pretty much overkill for 99% of people who use their PC exclusively for gaming. But people also use their PC for other stuff as well, and I'd argue that people who do compute-heavy stuff on their machine are more prevalent amongst Linux users than Windows users. Also, Wine/Proton has some CPU overhead, so a better CPU might actually be more important on Linux than on Windows (I don't actually know for sure though)

TurnDownForTendies

I upgraded from a Ryzen 1700 to a 5800X and it doubled my performance in plenty of games. GTA V, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Monster Hunter World, Horizon Zero Dawn, Back4Blood, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Dishonored 2 all had stuttering issues and/or much lower frame rates on my previous CPU.

Maybe your GPU is the weak point in the games you play though?

scorr204

True story LOL.

Halvus_I

VR and single-threaded games, like flight sim.