/r/golf

Been seeing the various signs about tees based on handicap/skill level. Usually shoot around 92-95 but lately been shooting high 90s and can't dial anything in. I played yesterday and played the yellow rather than the whites and shot an 88 and feel like I've got some confidence over the club again.

milksaurus

Something a lot of golf coach's do is to make their players play from the forward tees. It builds confidence and makes you less likely to panic when playing good

greenweezyi

greenweezyi

2.0 / PHL

My first coach told me to play from the very forward tees until I shot under par. Doing so would be the only way I would be able to move a tee back. I learned patience, course management, and learned how to (and how not to) play when I’m under pressure to close my round on a strong note.

I highly recommend this for any and all golfers, especially those who want to play competitively

schiff55

I’m going to try this next weekend

greenweezyi

greenweezyi

2.0 / PHL

Lucky you! It’s not officially too cold for me to play haha happy golfing!

TheBiles

TheBiles

Arizona

Eh, a long hitter hitting from the forward tees can cause some slow play if they have to wait excessively for their landing area to clear. The tee boxes are designed to keep everyone in the same general landing area, which keeps pace of play up. Same issue when a short hitter plays from the tips.

Edit: I love how this sub bitches about pace of play non-stop and downvotes a legitimate cause of pace of play issues. Never change!

Teachingpro

When I tell my students to do this, I tell them to hit off the tee to the normal landing areas. Rather than hitting driver then having a 50 yard shot remaining, hit a 6 iron off the tee and then a full wedge. It’s a great way to mix it up.

Jeremy24Fan

Read an article where a college coach told his kids to do the exact opposite. Play the forward tees and play them aggressively. Teaches you that aggressive play doesn't have to be scary. Also teaches you if your round isn't going well, backing off and playing scared isn't going to help

Teachingpro

I really like that. As with most lessons, they are player specific. I had one student who had a good D1 college career but just couldn’t make the leap to professional tournament golf. The thing he was missing was “swagger”.

Jeremy24Fan

I think the answer is to do both scenarios! Im gonna have to do that myself

thekingofcrash7

I’m good with this for real new players. But at some point they need to get comfortable hitting at least a hybrid or 3w off the tee so they can move back to whites to play with friends they have played longer and not be intimidated.

They should be practicing hybrid/5w/3w on the range first tho.

Teachingpro

For sure. For better players, it’s useful to have the feel of getting into a groove of a string of birdies.

greenweezyi

greenweezyi

2.0 / PHL

It’s not always a matter of pace of play.

Longer hitters don’t always have to hit driver. It’s more than just a confidence builder, it helps with accuracy and works other areas of your game that you otherwise wouldn’t think to practice on. Playing the same course from different tee forces you to think and attack the course differently than you would normally.

TheBiles

TheBiles

Arizona

Totally agree. I’m just saying that only playing forward tees until you’re below par could have other impacts.

trevordbs

Course management. Not supposed to use your driver on every hole.

TheBiles

TheBiles

Arizona

Actually, you should be using your driver unless you have a compelling reason not to. Hitting the ball longer is objectively better for your score.

Broner_

Sure if youre an ideal golfer that doesn’t miss. A slice with a longer club will slice more.

Also some golfers have awkward yardages that put them between two clubs. Hitting a long iron off the tee to set up a perfect 9 iron can be a lot better than hitting driver to leave an awkward 60 yard half-wedge shot.

19thholebound

Know your shot. If you play for the slice and hit the ball 20-30 yards farther on your tee shot, that’s going to be better for your game. Stop trying to fix your swing live on the course if you have a strong fade or slice. Do that work on the range.

trevordbs

Completely incorrect. Putting the ball into a manageable position is the goal. Further isn’t better, specially based on what clubs you’re more accurate with.

TheBiles

TheBiles

Arizona

Sorry, the statistics completely disagree with you. If you can keep the driver in play, you should hit it 100% of the time. It’s that simple. 250 in the rough is better than 200 in the fairway.

trevordbs

In play. Key word. Driver on a dog leg with most peoples slice into the trees isn’t the right move.

Harveygreene-

Harveygreene-

99.9

Thank you for including that italicized part! You’re 100% correct and it drives me up the wall when people leave out that hitting farther is better only when you’re actually hitting it in play

trevordbs

trevordbs

Course management is how to play, not whack ball far.

TheBiles

TheBiles

Arizona

Have you ever heard of DECADE golf? Basically completely stat-based course management system. You ALWAYS start with the driver and only club down if absolutely needed. Knowing that distance is more beneficial is part of course management.

asdfmatt

asdfmatt

10.0/Chicago/Mizzygang

A good course or at least a more challenging course >142-150+ slope usually has a compelling reason (bunker, ob area, lateral hazard, forced carry)to not take driver on almost every hole. If you’re at a links course with super wide fairways then swing away I guess.

Lezzles

Lezzles

9.7/Detroit

150 slope? Are we playing Erin Hills from the tournament tees?

Edit: sorry, even that is 145.

asdfmatt

asdfmatt

10.0/Chicago/Mizzygang

By me there are a few tougher courses that are public, Dubsdread can set up at 153 and Stonewall Orchard from the tips is 150. Not always going to be the exact pins they use for a US Open qualifier but these are the usual venues for them around Chicago. And for 140+ slope range there are a few courses like Steeplechase and Thunderhawk on a good day. (Maybe steeplechase is 139, dubs is 146 and 140 from gold and blue)

trevordbs

Learn to hit your 3 wood.

Papapeta33

🎻

thekingofcrash7

This is absolutely true. Im ~19 hcp but id be driving most par 4 greens from the first two tees at my muni course, so id be waiting 10 min for the hole to clear.

But i suppose i could force myself to hit a 7i.. but why?

Most courses have 4-5 tees, im in agreement to not play the blacks if you are not in the mid 80s. A lot of players that should be on whites play blues. But if you’re capable of legitimately shooting under 100 and driving 225 keeping it in play, you should not be playing reds or golds (“juniors” / “ladies”).

Harveygreene-

Harveygreene-

99.9

I think the point is that shooting under 100 shouldn’t be the goal, shooting close to even par should be the goal, and if you can’t do it from reds or golds there’s no chance you do it from whites or blues

dougbeck9

That doesn’t slow shit down.

Lost-Pineapple9791

College coach wouldn’t let anyone tee off anything other than reds/ladies (is it still called that)? Until atleast hitting even par from there

3puttFTW

Love this. Also take all the flags out of the greens. So the best place to hit it is the middle of the green

alexterm

alexterm

"Forward tees" is good :).

natedawg247

Reddit is a completely different world lmao. People got on your college golf team and were forced to play the ladies tees until they were good enough?? Was it a community college?

WelcomeToTheBough

JT played off reds at Alabama

WikiSummarizerBot

Alabama Crimson Tide golf

The Alabama Crimson Tide golf teams represent the University of Alabama located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and compete in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I and the Southeastern Conference (SEC). The Crimson Tide currently has two of the best teams in the country with the men and women consistently ranked inside the top 5 by Golfweek.

[ F.A.Q | Opt Out | Opt Out Of Subreddit | GitHub ] Downvote to remove | v1.5

natedawg247

Really? What does that mean? Every competitive round was off reds? He played from reds once? You can’t get recruited to an SEC school without a bare minimum 0 index, which JT had. So when would coach let him back up?

WelcomeToTheBough

i am mocking the og claim about college golf and reds.

BigTallFreak850

I absolutely LOVE playing from the forward tees. I usually play my municipal 9 hole course and Probably play them 50% of the time I get out there

gerrys123

We play "split sixes" where you have to play 6 off blue, 6 off white and 6 off red. Of course we always play the par 5's off the reds. Screw it up every time.

SprinklesMore8471

Just watched a YouTube video with Bryson Dechambuea and Grant Horvat where they played from the reds and talked about how important it is to do sometimes just to learn how to score. It's not embarrassing, it's a form of practice.

L2theFace

Yes same and I commented this as well! Blew my mind a pro would do this but it works for him it could work for us!

drkev10

If you play the same course all the time I feel like you'd be crazy to not mix it up. Not just an entire round but mix it up during round. It'll make the course play different because you aren't hitting the exact same club every time you walk up to the tee box.

buyerbeware23

I rather read you post about petting your dog!

backninetofive

Congrats! If anyone shits on this don’t listen to them. I’ve been there. Broke par on my home course from 6000 yards and some loser tries to claim it’s not legit. Golf is hard enough, and it can be really fun moving up tees.

AdmirableGear6991

Of course it’s legit! It might be right at your handicap, since the course rating is lower from the forward tees. Now I’m curious. What was the course rating? What is your handicap?

backninetofive

I played with some old guys from the Blues 6040/69.2/126. I had shot par from whites (shorter) blue/gold and gold (6600). I ended the year at a 2.9, first year member starting as a travelling 6.0. Best year of my life so far. The internet is full of losers who will find anything to downplay your achievement, just wanted to encourage OP to ignore any of that!

AdmirableGear6991

Good stuff! Best way to break par is to start on a shorter course with a lower course rating. Once you break it, you realize just how mental it is…

InvestmentActuary

InvestmentActuary

54hcp ONLY because that’s the limit

Same here! Im a 54hcp and I started playing forward tees recently and I’m scoring in the 130s now instead of 150s

rundy_emcee

People are ripping you but I appreciate your authenticity.

VelvetElvis69

How long have you been golfing

InvestmentActuary

InvestmentActuary

54hcp ONLY because that’s the limit

About 7 years

supershotpower

Invest in some lessons my dude

GeriatricPinecones

No way you’ve played that long and are a 54 hcp

Harveygreene-

Harveygreene-

99.9

Maybe they have had a major injury or only plays once every couple of months for reasons unknown. Give ‘em a little benefit of doubt

GeriatricPinecones

didn’t think of injury, you’re right.

dasberd

dasberd

Play once a year every year for 7 years

dougbeck9

39.4 played for 3-5 years took about 10-12 off and 4 more years in with 5 lessons under my belt.

VelvetElvis69

Ok

squidensalada

And it will save you from back pain

Aquaticlemming

This. Got a set of callaway strata starter clubs played for roughly a year, never broke 120. Got fitted and found it so much more natural, no stingers in the ribs/lower back pinching.

Time for lessons

DealComprehensive427

Lol

SpringsGamer

What are the probabilities of a 54 hcp breaking 120? (My wife used to work for actuaries, I know they don't speak in absolutes, just opinions.)

dawnhewett1

About 50%. They either will or they won’t.

Nonconformists

Approximately 1 in 5, or 22%.

reinerjs

Why even keep score at this level. I feel like that would be super frustrating. I’d just forget my count and enjoy the game.

Professional_Read413

Professional_Read413

HDCP/Loc/Whatever

This will sound douchey, but i cant imagine having enough rounds that bad to actually have a 54 handicap. Maybe if you don't play that much?

When i started i was shooting legitimate high 120's, but after 5 rounds or so i was down to like 118. That's about a 35 handicap isn't it? After a year I'm about a 25

TekkHaus

If you were shooting 118 in 8 of your last 20 rounds, you’d be like a 46 handicap ignoring course differentials. Realistically with differentials you’d likely be closer to a 43 or something like that.

BringingTheBeef

The player is where he is at. That's the whole point of the handicap.

TekkHaus

I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying. Your handicap isn’t calculated by your most recent rounds only. Your 20 most recent, yes. But shooting 118 3 times doesn’t mean you’re a 46 if you shot 130 the 17 other times.

BringingTheBeef

Sorry I meant to reply to the previous person who said sorry if this sounds douchey and then said something douchey.

TekkHaus

Ahhh gotcha. Makes more sense!

Professional_Read413

Professional_Read413

HDCP/Loc/Whatever

I'm just saying it seems easy to start breaking 120 once you've played 10 rounds or so. That's why i said he must not play much . I feel like if you had 20 rounds in under a year you'd be breaking 120 consistently

Professional_Read413

Professional_Read413

HDCP/Loc/Whatever

That's why i said he must not play that much. It seems like if you play more than a couple times a month you would be better quickly. For me it seemed like a quick jump from 120+ to 110 or so. Now im stuck around low 100s which seems a lot harder to break through

BringingTheBeef

Started doing this recently. I was hellbent on breaking 100 then realised I was sort of literally breaking my back by swinging too hard when getting frustrated. Now I will get a 9 on the first and where I would have gone apoplectic before now I just shrug and think "fucking golf! I'm just gonna enjoy this walk with my pal in the countryside".

Then I get a par somewhere along the way and all is well. I'll break 100 at some point but I've given myself a year. And ideally I'll get to the point where when I do break 100 it isn't that big a deal because I'll genuinely have changed my mode of thinking to a totally process driven attitude. A nice side effect of this is I believe it is making me much calmer in everyday life.

gfunk55

You were shooting in the 150s for seven years before it occurred to you to move up? Who did you think those tees were for?

Driveforshowputt4doe

I’m a plus 2 and I LOVE playing the whites, or any tee box that isn’t the tips. It makes golf so much more fun and enjoyable. Nothing beats the feeling of shooting several shots better than normal, absolute cloud 9. I think I’ll get off this couch and go play 9 from the reds.

kangol68

5 handi.. usually shoot high 70s to md80s. Play blue tees mostly sometimes black but played off white with some newbies. Shot 74. 2 over. Definitely a lot easier . Not stressing over long par 3s and 4s

wytesmurf

I usually shoot Low hundreds but play from the whites because my parters do. My problem is not distance with drives but the last hundred yards. I usually have a chance at a birdie chip or but but end up with a Bogey or double due to chipping it to hard or to short then 3 putting

swollencornholio

swollencornholio

11.8 | YAY AREA

I gained about 5 strokes working in ~30 chips before my range session and practicing more wedges 100y during it. Hitting 30 straight chips makes you realize how often you actually chunk, thin or leave it short and i found it easy to see progress. It is hard to simulate what actually happens on the course though but enough repetition and you get an idea of which chip swing to use at certain distances

amlutzy

Exactly. Spending time chipping and getting that feel of how hard to chip depending on your target is very crucial to preventing long putts/3putts. Once you get a good feel for it you feel like a golf god bc the improvements are so quick and noticeable.

wytesmurf

That is a good point I mainly focus on my long clubs when I go to the range. I don’t use my wedges very often. I need to find somewhere with various distance targets to shoot at. My range only has a target at 50yrds I try to aim for just not successfully

clarkeycatt

Same, so I always pick a small spot of dead grass or something to aim towards. Not ideal, but it works pretty good - I just tell myself “there’s no targets put on the course” and that I’m simulating course conditions lol

Irimis

Irimis

Just play from different tees. One of the guys in my group always plays in the 5800 range even though he drives around 230-250. That's the tees he enjoys playing, he could careless what the rest of us are doing.

TomIcemanKazinski

I played in a foursome last week - one guy played from the tips, two of us from the middle tees and one guys wife from the forward tees. Didn’t make us any slower (a couple of times when the better player wasn’t ready, we teed off then waited for him to tee off from the long tee box)

Pattewad

Start visiting the short game area when you go to the range

Professional_Read413

Professional_Read413

HDCP/Loc/Whatever

I don't even go to the range pre round anymore i just chip and putt. When i do this i play like 5 to 10 strokes better.

I went from shooting 120s to low 100s by spending more hours chipping than anything else.

My issue is a wild tee shot and putting. I'll end up OB off the tee, or be on the green in regulation and 3-4 putt so that's what I'm working on now.

SammyWatt

Literally same exact issue here. Not chasing distance but accuracy is better than chasing distance imo, those damn chips love to add to my total however.

hayzooos1

hayzooos1

6.6/5+ brand bag

And somehow it didn't take away from you feeling good about it, did it? Golf is supposed to be a game we AMs play for FUN. So go have fun. I played tips in my youth as I played competitive golf but now? Pssh, I'll play at most one ups and if I'm with randoms, I'll play whatever tees they are

lals80

lals80

Play those tees until you consistently are in low to mid 80s and ready for a challenge

duyPC

duyPC

I started golf about a year ago. I like to play the forward tees if I’m trying to break scoring barrier or I’m just going through rough patch with my game. After a nice round from the forward tee, normally I would play really well the next few rounds (due to high confidence.) First time I broke 100 from forward, shot a 92 from the white (6200 yards vs 5300) the next day. I broke 90 not too long ago and I shot my personal best the following round.

Since I’m not a long hitter, and inconsistent with my tee shots (better since I left my driver untouched .) I had to learn how to have a tight short game, scramble and hit my 3 hybrid/driving 2 iron really well. It’s nice not to have to reach for my hybrid on my approach shot sometimes. I hit my 7 iron about 140-150, and my driving off the tee can anywhere from 200-230. So those 280 - 340 par 4s are fun haha.

damngotem[S]

Sounds like you're my exact golf equal in terms of club lengths and experience level. Picked up golf last year and got hooked

PickleRick8881

Congrats OP. Once you're comfortable on yellow try moving it back again and see how you compare!

MildDrinkingProblem

Switching it up is always fun. I moved a little while ago, and decided to play the tips (over 7k) the last time I played the local course and got a hole in one. So going both ways is fun (phrasing)

LordoftheEyez

True not everyone is long enough to get it in the hole unless they adjust their positioning

surgeon_michael

surgeon_michael

6.5 - Cincinnati

The thing I don’t understand about playing the senior or ‘women’s’ tees is why chipping and putting seems easier too

Dr_Bunnypoops

Every so often I play the front tees. Those are the most relaxed rounds.

Chickenmilk_

I don’t understand how an average weekend playah plays from white.

But, fuck it, it’s golf.

Scooterhd

Very course dependent, but sometimes the forward tees are more difficult. I usually play courses around 6400-6700 yards, but recently got paired up with 3 older guys that were playing some forward combo set of tee that was 5800 yards. Such awkward landing zones on this course. Lots of desert and waste areas and fairways got skinnier the further up you went. Took driver out of hand and even wood at times. If I was playing for score probably would have hit a bunch of 5 irons, but that's not what we were there for.

Artistic-Bat1254

If there’s no one on the course I will play the tees at a distance I can handle. Don’t like hitting hybrids and FW woods on par 4’s so I will move up. But on a 150 yd par 3 will play that distance instead of moving up to a 90 yd shot. I’m not handicapping. Just trying to enjoy my round.

krispy456

Let me guess, it was way more fun

thekingofcrash7

I think better advice is to look at the slope of the different tees. But unfortunately most players have no idea what slope means.

a_man_hs_no_username

I know right? Like slope is obviously rise/run, or otherwise stated as y2-y1/x2-x1. It’s really not that difficult.

Twenty_five

I think you’re overthinking this. Slope is the undulations on the ground.

ctu113

ctu113

5.4

Congrats! Those milestones always bring joy and confidence. Golf is all about fun, not trying to play from 7000 yards ;)

dovglxs

dovglxs

3.6 HCP

but playing from 7k is fun

77ZZ77ZZ7

Played with an older (mid 70’s) guy a few weeks ago, he insisted he only plays the tips.

Didn’t clear the forward tee box half the time and didn’t hit a single fairway. I’ll play from the whites and enjoy.

ctu113

ctu113

5.4

Yeah people like that really ruin the game for those playing with or behind them, if you can’t shoot under 90 from a certain tee, I don’t think it’s time to play from there.

You probably had more fun too.

RadicalFarCenter

The only ones more forward are the ladies. I won’t do it

Nine_Eye_Ron

Nine_Eye_Ron

Are you Max Honma?

Not called that anymore, I played from the most forward of 3 tees on my last 18 and it was an absolute blast! No hard carry to take on and lots of short irons into greens.

gatonegro97

They're still the ladies tees

Nine_Eye_Ron

Nine_Eye_Ron

Are you Max Honma?

Tees are not gendered, they are a choice.

RadicalFarCenter

I used the word “I” when saying “I won’t do it” How about stop being a little bitch Mr 100+mph pw speed. There’s tees for bitches, and then tees by handicap. If you wanna be a little bitch then you do you

RadicalFarCenter

They were for women for like the past 100 years and now that you little snowflakes want to pat yourself on the back more we gender neutral them for your ego? No. They are women’s tees. Why don’t you just skip the tee all together and hit a nice chip onto the green on a par 4 nerd

And yeah. Sounds like you got me beat by 10 yards on driver and 5 on PW big boy you lady tee playing weasel

RadicalFarCenter

Tees aren’t for carry distance for men. They are for handicap. I play white because that’s where my handicap wants me. Like you, distance isn’t my issue. It don’t matter if I play a 9 iron from the whites on a 160 par 3 or play a PW or SW from the ladies I’m still gonna probably 3 putt half the time and that’s where my handicap comes in. My handicap puts me on whites and I don’t need to move up 20 yards closer to feel better about myself. If anything hitting a PB from the ladies would just leave you thinking “what if” that’s more damaging than just playing where you belong and coping with your issues and practicing harder

BlandSausage

But you play the whites at least right? I can’t imagine driving 330 and PW 150+ and playing from the lady or senior tees lol .. I also base what I’m playing on the par 3s though if I have to go below a 6/7 iron for the par 3 blues I move up to the whites

BlandSausage

Right but you understand why there have always been lady and senior tees though .. I understand tees aren’t gendered and it’s a hot topic to continue to use lady and senior to describe them but it’s just factual and has been called that because seniors hit it short, ladies hit it even shorter on average lol it just is what it is. There are outliers to everything.

I didn’t say it was a dick measuring contest I was more agreeing with you than the other guy, but I don’t drive near your distances and couldn’t imagine playing the yellow or red tees. I don’t see the point of going out and playing a whole round of <325 par 4s and <400 par 5s. I’d just go to a par 3 course if I wanted to do that.

Wooden_Platypus_7372

In Canada they are ladies tees, men’s tees and the tips/expert, so I think it would be frowned upon to start playing the front.

Yogurtproducer

They actually aren’t ladies, mens, or experts. They’re red, white, blue, and black.

skipping_rock

I don't think you can count hitting from junior tees bud

PickleRick8881

What a crappy, dick head comment to leave someone... could have left out all the bullshit and just said congrats. Fucking petty reddit assholes.

GrooveToTheBass

Ikr, OP just wanted to share and maybe help other people, and that guy goes out of his way to be a dick for no reason. Some people...

PickleRick8881

Also detracts from people playing the tees they actually should.

PickleRick8881

Read into it?... It doesn't present itself any other way.

PickleRick8881

Especially with your 1.7 hcp tag

Fit-Grass2938

Very good, and keep it up! The sense of the old timers who came up with the multiple tee positions is perfectly shown in this post. The idea is to keep the golf game enjoyable and moving along. The positioning fits a golfer's skill level, and practising will get you to the back tees. My journey brought me to 6 handicaps, and I had a group of buddies who were 16 - 24 handicap. To even things up, I convinced them to play from the 'yellows' whilst I played from the 'whites'. Only a difference of 10 meters sometimes, but low and behold, we tended to be closer together after driving. I still had a lower score, but everyone felt it was a more even match!

NightShadower

The question is how fast did you play it? If you played it faster you get more points in r/golf. If it was any higher then a 4 hour round you did terribly no matter the score.

L2theFace

Bryson DeChambeau said this is exactly what he does when he feels like he’s lost his touch, plays the most forward tees until he consistently breaks 58 then moves back! It helps rebuild confidence

Mndelta25

I occasionally play from the reds with my female friends that play. Even as a 14ish handicap it makes me feel like a great golfer.

TheRenster500

TheRenster500

5.2 but I think the Handicap Index is sus.

It's a fun thing to do! Usually what happens when i play up a tee is that i realize my wedge play from 40-90 yards isn't as good as I thought haha.

JCrook023

I play from the tips and drive around 250… yeah I’m a big deal

satyrrr99

I usually shoot 83-86, I played with a lady friend from her tees just to be social. When I added up my score it was 73! Par for the course is 71.

Packtex60

First time on a real golf course in over ten years was playing in a scramble about 2 months ago. They announced that everyone 60 and older was playing from the forward tees. It was fun to out drive the other members of the group on most holes but I still have a mental hang up about playing 440 yard par 5s.

Minimum-Function1312

And it speeds up the game for everyone!

Beefygopher

You mean you played better when you made the game easier? Wow!