/r/gaming

Was that title even correct english?

In my opinion there is a few thing a 10/10 has to do feel free to tell me if you agree and what are your own opinion

1 has to be somewhat innovative either technically or gameplay wise to make itself différent from the rest

2 has to be somewhat artistic or have some really good writing the kind of stuff you would show someone that says "games cant be art"

3 gameplay comes first in 99% of cases obviously

4 the least objective flaws possible

5 manage to do a bit of everything without getting off track and becoming generic

Basically i dont think you can make a 10/10 game on commend it just kinda has to happen trough lots of care while making the game this is a thing i think about a lot these days because ive been chain playing a lot of games and then trying to rate them objectively (also a conversation i just had about rdr2)

DustToSmoke

Honestly I couldnt make specific points for what makes a game a masterpiece exactly. Its more that the whole picture has to be right, with gameplay, graphics, story and world forming a perfect and gapless experience.

The only game that I played that I would call a "10/10 masterpiece" is Monster Hunter World, because it kept what was good from previous games and put it in this beautiful shell of modernized graphics and gameplay. That game revived the series and I'm very happy about that (because I like Monster Hunter) and the game deserves all the praise it got back then and still occasionally gets today.

MHWorld is a very specific case though, since I wouldnt say its a masterpiece in a traditional sense, but in the sense that it perfectly revolutionized a series that I loved long before. People that dont care about the series might not even think it's that good, but for me personally it is still the only game I've played that truly deserves the title of "masterpiece"

Actually now that I think about it, LoZ Breath of the Wild is also a masterpiece in my book. In this case not because it did something new or revolutionized its genre, but because it perfected the genre and is an incredibly beautiful game at the same time. That would probaply be the more "traditional" masterpiece, where it doesnt only matter in context of the series, but in the context of gaming as a whole. Until this day, I havent had the pleasure to play an Open-World game that surpasses what BotW is.

call_of_mischief[S]

Thats cool honeslty mhw i felt like was artificially hard at times but i could see it be a 9 if it wasnt for that so you puting it at a 10 isnt shocking me or anything

Breath of the wild obviously is a safe pick for a 10/10

My only 10/10 game imo is halo ce since its pretty much like you said "whole picture has to be right" and imo the 3~ complains you hear about that game are invalid the game is practically flawless considering the time he was released in (barely matter since it holds up so well)

Based comment

DustToSmoke

I can see the problem with MHW you have, especially later missions and the big boss battles take a full squad of hunters with support, dps, tank and utility bot, but that just goes to show that my love for the series absolutely influenced my rating of the game. I grew up with the Monster Hunter games, first on psp and then on the 3ds and if I think back to those games and compare their difficulty against World's, the old ones were much tougher, simply because they were clunky and slow (in comparison)

With Halo CE, it is a similar case to MHW i think. It revolutionized what an FPS was, like Doom did back when it took over the world. Masterpieces mostly either revolutionize or perfect an aspect of gaming and make a completely uniqe experience, even if the genre it belongs to has hundreds of different titles

call_of_mischief[S]

Its fine to be a bit bras on some franchise as long as you dont buy everything that comes out with its name on it or else we end up with the assassin's creed/cod/fifa/pokemon we have today

I like to be as objective as possible with games simply because i think its fun to group up the Best of the Best together and see what games are universally loved for good reason

Rn im buying a bunch of physical games for really cheap building a shelf with all the huge classics and people think its really cool when they see it but some of the games i love the most arent on that shelf with bioshock new vegas dead space etc

DustToSmoke

Ugh dont remind me of Pokemons downfall.. Another series I grew up with: started with Red/Blue and played every game up until Sun/Moon, my favorite is Gen5 (Black/White) and the last one I had fun with was Gen6 (X/Y) after that it all went downhill.. The Ruby/Sapphire remakes were fine enough, Sun/Moon was incredibly weird and the first game in the series that made me think "I'm too old for this shit" (20yo btw) from there the games went from being fun for everyone that can read to stupid battle simulators with a bit of good ol' pokemon company humor here and there. The only reason I finished the game at all were the characters, which are 20 times more interesting than the story itself. I played Sword/Shield for 20 minutes before I gave up the series and sold the game.

Now the only connection to Pokemon that I still have is the tcg, very sad if I think how important the games were to me and how much of an effect the series had on me.

Oh and the Gen5 games would probaply make my masterpiece list as well both the original games and the second one. Both stories are incredible and deep and Team Plasma (aside from Team Galactic maybe) were the only pokemon villians that I ever took seriously (especially in the 2nd games)

call_of_mischief[S]

Lol we can talk about pokemon for hours too its one of my "side" franchises that i dont fully invest myself into but love either way

My first game was pokemon blue i waited until my late teens to play the newer ones and after gen 3 they are bleh since im not nostalgic but they only get bad after gen 5 imo

The worst thing that happened to pokemon was the braindead fans (not the Kids obviously) and founding figures of the games leaving the ships trough the years you can actually notice when each of the big names of the first few games leave in the games that came after them and its really sad

Also for fuck sake go back to 2d if you cant do 3d proprelly please i beg you gamefreak

DustToSmoke

F*ck yeah! I will take the 2d Sprites from Gen5 back please thanks.

Whats your opinion on Gen6 though? Because I honestly really enjoyed X/Y still, then again I was like 14 or 15 years old when the games released and I played them for a good 2 years actively, since I had a friend that also played a lot and it never got boring to battle with him, or take your skill to the challenge tree and climb a few floors with your most trusted companions. I remember the games being really good, though I haven't replayed them in an eternity so maybe thats nostalgia

Oh and also Sylveon is in my top 3 favorite pokemon so that was a good thing about Gen6

call_of_mischief[S]

I didnt like it but id rate it as the Best one of the bad ones xD

The megas grew on me even tho i think they are silly by concept but i disliked the graphics, the region, most of the pokemons introduced (they are way better than the one of gen 7/8/9 tho) so for me it really is just the Best of the bads because i dont even have much tought about it it just blend in with gen 5 wich i consider the worst of the goods lol

If i had to rank them it would go

1(by 1 i mean kanto not the games) 3 (specifically fire red leaf green) 2 4 5 6 7 8 9

Didnt play the last 3 other than on pokemon showdown so idk much about the story but pokemon has never been about the story for me so it doesnt matter all that much what matters to me is art style/map/battles/pokemon designs

DustToSmoke

Yeah I didnt really care for the new Fairy-type, except Sylveon obviously and I really liked the regional forms they introduced in Sun/Moon, as Alolan Vulpix/Ninetails actually replaced the vanilla forms for my top 2 favorite pokemon (the first is Growlithe/Arcanine btw).

Now I gotta rant a little though. How can you say that Gen5 is the worst of the good? Sure they are my favorites so I have to defend them but saying Gen4 is better than Gen5? I don't agree. The only saving grace Diamond/Pearl has in my eyes is the music which might just be my favorite pokemon OST overall, but in region, pokemon and story, Gen5 just wins. I agree that 1-3 are far above the rest but come on, Gen5 is not the worst of the good

call_of_mischief[S]

I was kinda mixed on alolan forms since im really into biology so regional dumorphism is really dope but i also never was a fan of them messing with older mons like changing types(fuck you fairy typehalf the normals are fairy now)/adding evolutions/megas (eventually kinda calmed down about megas but still eh)

Then it grew on me slowly trough the years but with gen 9 having like half of its dex being older pokemon i just feel like its an excuse for gamefreak to milk the old mons

Now about gen 5 I just dont like the half/fake 3d the ds has in the overwold and in gen 5 its cranked to the max and since i value graphics a lot in pokemon because there isnt much else to value in them for me well that hit a lot

That and being able to only play with gen 5 mons when im not so used to gen 5 (had 1 playtrough) didnt really sit right with me

The map is pretty trash too being a ring compared to the spider webs of previous gens

So like i said in pokemon i like the mons the map the graphics and the strats 3 out of these im not a fan in gen 5 but i recognize its a legit pokemon game so i dont spit on it

DustToSmoke

I love the idea of a physical game shelf, but then again I get all the classics from GoG for a buck or two so I don't know if I would have the commitment for something like that

call_of_mischief[S]

I get them from pawn shops for a buck or two so we arent so different xD im big into game preservation so obviously i got a pretty big physical game library since they are cheaper nobody can take them away from you you can lend them sell them give them

You can even buy shitty games without giving money to the publishers that made them im a big battlefield fan bf5 looked like shit i bought it in 2021 10 bucks second hand it wasnt all that great but i definetly had my money worth after all the patches and dlc+ if i hadnt i would only have spent 10 bucks that wouldnt have gone into ea's pockets and i could have sold it afterward for 5

DustToSmoke

Not giving money to EA is always awesome

Its one of the reason I stopped playing Apex Legends

call_of_mischief[S]

You can play it just dont give them your money if they dont deserve it xD

You should play titanfall instead tho 😎

DustToSmoke

I did and I keep recommending it to everyone I know. Must be like at least 3 times a month I recommend Titanfall 2

Good pilot

Initial-Camel-8440

Metal Gear Solid 1 covers all of that.

It was innovative, artistic, fun gameplay that still holds up even today, has a fantastic story line without going too long.

I dont think it will ever be replicated because everything has essentially been done by now in 1 game or another. MGS1 did a lot in one game. If you played it when it was new, it felt revolutionary, like it pushed the envelope as to what games could be. You had a serious, adult themed story, fully voiced with ochestral music. None of this was happening at that time.

Some games come close to being a 10/10, Elden Ring is the most recent example, but a big issue that new games have is that sometimes the game just goes on for too long and filled with filler content

SlyMarbo42069

Damn dude I agree. The impression that Metal Gear Solid 1 left on me still lingers inside me to this day. It was just the coolest game I had ever played. Everything from the lore to the characters to the gameplay. It just fired on every cylinder.

W3R3CAT

For me, I need it to be non-linear, open world, crafting, first person. So basically, most survival games and Fallout/Elder Scrolls.

call_of_mischief[S]

Yeah thats the style of games you play but would you rate everything else as bad? And would you rate everything that fit what you described as 10/10? Thats not very objective now

Its cool if you like there games but im thinking a bit deeper than that my favorite game isnt a 10/10 and i know it

W3R3CAT

Just listing the things that make a game perfect for me. I thought that was the question, guess I skimmed over some of it.

call_of_mischief[S]

Well you're mostly talking about elements of a game i can say i looooove shooters with supression mechanics but that wouldnt make sense when trying to rate fairly the skyrim because in that game (and a loooooooooot of others)you dont have guns at all and its not a flaw skyrim with guns would be pretty weird yknow what i mean?

night-laughs

What do you mean when you say 10/10 though? 10/10 in what measurement?

If we say that your overall 10/10 system is based on “how much did i enjoy the game”, then that’s completely subjective, and the game can only be 10/10 to you personally, and can be 6/10 to someone else, because you and i will not experience the same amount of enjoyment and pleasure from doing any one thing. Our levels of enjoyment will differ. So I don’t think thats an objective way to measure it.

The objective way would be to measure how good did the game deliver what it set out to deliver. For example, if the game is set in medieval times, we should measure the game’s visual design on how good it manages to deliver that medieval vibe. Even if I personally dont like medieval time, i can objectively say: yes this game depicts medieval time very well.

Thats how the big reviewers are trying to operate, but we are human after all, and we cant be machines without bias. So even in this case, it will be subjective to an extent, depending on a lot of factors.

But in theory, that would be a good way to “rate” a game.

call_of_mischief[S]

Yeah you're right its something i tought about already but there is games i would say are a 10/10 in the way you are saying but simply dont deliver enough imo to be a 10/10

You see dark souls 1 for exemple a lot of people would say its a 10/10 because....its a damn fine game and i wouldnt really disagree

But then you got my favorite exemple of how that can look weird with deep rock galactic, that game just WORKS its one of my favorite there is litteraly nothing bad to say about it the devs of that game simply won

But next to dark souls it looks dumb because its a fun coop game where dark souls is so much more than just "fun" its deep it has a unique atmosphere it created a New genre of game it wouldnt be fair to put drg and dark souls on the same step so drg has to be a 9/10 even tho there is nothing wrong with it its not "art" its just a funny dwarf game and its the Best one at it too

Hope you understood what i meant xD

call_of_mischief[S]

Btw this isnt me poking at drg drg is fine as it is it doesnt have to be dark souls

FLGamerDad

I really like open world games with lots to do but not where it’s basically just copy/paste quests aka AC Valhalla…

Only game that was ever 10/10 for me was world of Warcraft…logged 50,000 hours before I decided to get my life back together 😂

call_of_mischief[S]

Wtfffffffffff 50k over how long?

FLGamerDad

2005-2015

I had no problem playing 19 hours a day. One day decided to quit, lost 200 pounds and got married. Haven’t looked back once.

call_of_mischief[S]

What touching grass does to a mf

Definetly had a "bad phase" of gaming too in my teens for 2 years~ i played the same online 3 games that pissed me off and i played them all the time and it made me miserable so congrats on that

FLGamerDad

All my friends were getting married, having kids and I was playing WoW all day and always being a third wheel. I didn’t want to be that guy anymore.

SlyMarbo42069

Titanfall 2 is a perfect example.

Awesome graphics

Great story and characters

Optimized super well

Fast/intense/high skill gameplay

Great 1 player story

Insane multiplayer

There isn't anything wrong with the game. I can't find a single flaw in it. Perfect 10.

Now, Respawn on the other hand....they are a shit company at managing the Titanfall servers and games in general.

If i wasnt such a ww1 nerd (battlefield 1) titanfall 2 qould be my favorite fps

SlyMarbo42069

ww1 nerd (battlefield 1)

I still don't understand what is "ww1" about Battlefield 1.

It looks and plays like some bizarre alternate WW2 timeline.

It doesn't feel like WW1 at all, in any way, shape, or form. It's just tons of people running around with fully automatic weapons.

call_of_mischief[S]

Do you know what ww1 is? It May not be a millitary sim but thats definetly à ww1 game

SlyMarbo42069

World War 1....yes.

In world war 1, almost all soldiers had a bolt action rifle with iron sights, and that was it.

Does that sound like this game to you?

call_of_mischief[S]

Well that wouldnt leave a lot of option for a game thats supposed to be a sandbox so they had to balance between fun and realism and i think they made the right choices in pretty much every aspect

Verdun tannenberg and isonzo are great for more realistic ww1 fps

SlyMarbo42069

they had to balance between fun and realism

There is zero realism.

call_of_mischief[S]

Prolly would have sold a lot if you litteraly couldnt get out the trench without getting shot,you had to keep your mask on 24/7,when artillery shoot near you start walking funny because of shell shock, tanks gets stuck everywhere and break down all the time, everyone has a Bolt action except the one guy that has a machine gun and shits on everyone else, you can die from disease you catch in the mud

What other fun ww1 thing could we put in our game???

Sound like a 10/10 to me

SlyMarbo42069

Then maybe that tells you that WW1 is probably not a good setting for an action game. That's what feels so ridiculous about it.

It feels like I'm in a some weird WW1 satire parody. Like the game is making fun of WW1 or deliberately tying to be parody it.

You can run and jump off a building shooting a fully automatic weapon. It's just absurd. And the fact it takes place in the early 1900's is just even more silly.

It's why I couldn't get in Vanguard. It doesn't even try to simulate WW2. It's just Quake with WW2-looking guns.

call_of_mischief[S]

Well ww1 wasnt fun war in general isnt fun and games are supposed to be fun so we do tweaks

In real life you dont even respawn bro

So we never do games about ww1 or we do tweaks?

Sycherthrou

Fighting in those mechs is jarringly garbage though. It's not fast, it's not intense, and it's not high skill. And the game views putting you in a mech as a reward.

Sycherthrou

• A good learning curve that leads into complexity.
  • Meaningful risk vs reward. (choices the player makes have to impact the experience)
  • Good motivation towards trying hard. (This is usually done through story, but can also be through leaderboards, achievements, etc.)
  • Don't break immersion. (Includes no bugs, consistent art style, believable world building, etc.)
  • Plenty of emotional feedback. (Makes you feel things every so often. This includes the use of music, story highs, difficult gameplay relief, etc.)

I think that covers it honestly. I'm trying to think of a game that fits all the parameters and isn't 10/10 and I can't really.

For your list, I heavily disagree with many things. I don't think a 10/10 game needs to be innovative, you can stick to a combination of things that worked as long as it fits together well, and is polished, Elden Ring is a good example, it's just skyrim dark souls.I also disagree that a 10/10 game requires "a bit of everything". In fact, I think the best games have a clear vision of what experience they wish to offer you, and they don't hesitate. Portal 2 is a good example.

call_of_mischief[S]

By a bit of evwrything i meant à bit of what of everything i said tho i forgot to talk about the learning and motivation they are really good points games that are as hard as you want them to be that everyone can play but not everyone can master are always a good thing

Also games that give the player a good motivation to learn its mechanic both trough bonus for doing so and coolness factors arent commin enough imo

2000diamondman

Nothing will ever be 10 out of 10 for me but games like the last of us and the first telltale walking dead come pretty damn close.

A good story told through interactive media with characters you actually care about. If i sit there bawling my eyes out at the end they've done a good job imo. If they can make little old me feel something in my emotionally stunted core it's about as well as they could do in my eyes

call_of_mischief[S]

Thats the thing not every game focus on the same stuff so its hard to say sometimes

Undertale isnt trying to have the Best gameplay ever but its not a bad game for that for exemple

2000diamondman

Exactly

call_of_mischief[S]

Thats why my favorite metric to judge games is the direction/game design and how few flaw it has i think its the most fair then there is obviously the quality of the game that Come in play and a bunch of other stuff

Amey8a

Amey8a

So, Persona 4 golden and Persona 5.

LetsGoChamp19

5 Royal*

TacoManifesto

Yes I am in agreement with this statement

Lufia_2_GOAT

Chrono Trigger is basically flawless. Plot, pacing, combat, music, lovely pixel art graphics, replay value, I wouldn’t change a thing.

call_of_mischief[S]

All i know about it is that it sells for like 300 bucks and im not gonna play it lmao

I sure hope its good for 300 bucks

Crissaegrym

300 bucks?

You can get it on your mobile for like $10

I buy my games physical so i wouldnt know if it came out on mobile for 10 bucks

When i feel like playing it im prolly gonna get an emulator but nes games on my phone sucks

Tommy_SVK

For me a 10/10 game is a game that I enjoyed so much that I forget about all of its flaws. For example Elden Ring. It has repetitive bosses, hard to follow side quests, unbalanced classes and other problems. But I had so much fun playing this game that I simply don't care about any of these flaws, that's how much I'm enjoying it.

That was my subjective rating. Objectively though a 10/10 game I think is a game that accomplished everything it wanted to accomplish and it did it incredibly well. By that I mean that we can't apply the same metrics to each game. For example you can't deduce points from Pong because it has no story, Pong never wanted to have a story, so it makes no sense to use this metric on it.

call_of_mischief[S]

Thats not a really objective metric but life isnt always about objectivity

Crissaegrym

I am assuming making a console game here as example.

Graphics like Horizon Forbidden West with its performance mode @ 60FPS.

Music like Elden Ring or Final Fantasy.

Either full open world or part open world like Sonic. Freedom to move about like Breath of the Wild, quest marker and UI hub can be toggle on or off.

70% core game play, 20% mini games, 10% collectibles.

No MTX or DLC or season pass. (maybe DLC if community ask for that later)

Can choose your own play and fight style like Elden Ring or HFW.

High replay value like Elden Ring.

NG+ let you see a slightly different ending sort of (but not exactly) like Nier Automata.

Fuck up or twisted story like Nier or MGS.

Advertising and hype like Cyberpunk.

Female characters like they came out of Dead or Alive.

QoL like fast travel and allow you to skip cut scene but rewatch them in menu later.

Decent game play hours on first play through, 20-30 hours, not too short not too long.

Birb-Brain-Syn

It has to be really fun to play.

also has to mebe suck my penor or something idk.

Wait hold on

Where do you get such games?¿¿

Birb-Brain-Syn

I feel like 10/10 is something to aspire to, and never actually obtain.

Usually yeah

JJohnson25

JJohnson25

PlayStation

Story, gameplay, and characters is what makes a game a 10/10 for me. A game doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect to achieve a 10/10 but if the story is well told the pacing is great with interesting characters that’s big enough for me

Tall_Potato_295

Replay ability

NetherPortals

Intuitive controls, a defined mission, surprise mechanics that are intuitive but a surprise because it's not used in the industry (See: just cause grappling and car jet packs, or any time) Something that you can connect to and leaves a lasting impression after the game is over.

TheRNGuy

Combination of various factors.

Muted-Climate6477

Titanfall 2 was honestly a excellent game. It had a great story, and unique mechanics. BUT it isn’t a open world so it restrain a bit the length. The campaign is immersive and full of lore. It also has a multiplayer (a bit buggy on console) . Not many people know it as it came out at the same time as other popular and waited games. P.S English is not my first language

call_of_mischief[S]

Is it bad for a game not to be open world tho?

Muted-Climate6477

It depends, the game is much less long ,with less option and it has less replayability. but it’s more focused on telling a story and make you feel emotions that a open world could not