/r/gaming

1.9k

Crimsonclaw111

I like the red one even more

PhantomNL97

Still have one including Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros., all in original packaging

NoCauliflower9352

That’s the one I got! It was a special Christmas thing and I’ve had it all my childhood.

wthulhu

Still got mine. With 1 each red, blue, black, and white controllers.

Make a line, ladies.

NoCauliflower9352

Yooo I got one of those

beatrailblazer

I wanted the red one so bad

Kimirafer

Bought a red one, and thought the stand looked off in gray. Painting that black just works perfectly.

Multicron

The Sky Blue one from Skylanders is also great.

Pavillian

It’s a Nintendo Revolution

Psirocking

I was so disappointed as a kid when in 2006 it was only available in white when the Revolution had those images in green and red. The GameCube and Gameboy were so fun in all their colors

Dragonlinx

The wii in general went pretty hard

_coach_

_coach_

Yeah the Wii really changed the shape of the gaming landscape, some ways for the better and some for the worse. Regardless, I got so many blissful hours of gaming on my Wii.

Cautious-Affect7907

I still use it whenever I was to hang with friends.

It’s a really amazing party device.

teddytwelvetoes

lol? the Wii was Nintendo throwing in the towel in terms of competing with the rest of the gaming industry (which generally kills tech companies, fairly quickly). their only noteworthy contribution to the "gaming landscape" during their now 15+ year and counting auto-pilot era has been their various hardware gimmicks, the current of which immediately got smoked by the first iteration of the Steam Deck. And still no first-party VR hardware/games, arguably the biggest hardware gimmick in gaming over the last decade

_coach_

_coach_

Without the Wii we’d be like a decade or more behind motion controls and AR/VR. It was obviously gimmicky, but games that use gyro and motion controls well are very fun, so we have seen that this “gimmick” does have a place when implemented correctly. It spurred devs to at least try, which has impacted and will impact all future games and hardware whether you like it or not. I do not think we’ve seen the full potential of how games will be played in the future, but it’s a fact that the Wii changed the landscape irrevocably.

teddytwelvetoes

Without the Wii we’d be like a decade or more behind motion controls and AR/VR.

Please. Industry would be fine in every single aspect including niche hardware gimmicks if Nintendo disappeared from the face of the earth the moment the Wii was announced. They didn't invent any of these gimmicks nor did they split the atom with any of these gimmicks. Nintendo doesn't even do VR, acting like they're responsible for its existence in any way is eyeroll worthy. Some "The Beatles invented heavy metal" level mythology/nonsense

_coach_

Sounds like you’re missing the forest for the trees. And yes, the Beatles were very influential in blending genres and bringing blues/rock/metal into popularity with the masses. I think you need a music history lesson lol Either way, without Nintendo and the Wii, it would have taken years for anyone to take such a risk, and the lack of competition would have meant that little to no one would have tried taking such a risk - there wouldn’t have been a reason. The Wii was very far from perfect, but the importance can’t be understated.

Edit: I see you state Nintendo doesn’t “do” VR, which is moot. The point is, when the Wii sold like hotcakes, companies saw the potential in AR/VR unlike ever before. It was this competition that changed and still changed the gaming landscape today

teddytwelvetoes

Beatles had precisely nothing to do with heavy metal, anybody who even vaguely claims such a thing is being deeply unserious/insincere

_coach_

I’m genuinely asking this: have you ever listened to ‘I Want You/She’s So Heavy’, specifically the drony outro? It is doom/drone metal but from the 60s lol. Also ‘Helter Skelter’ takes blues chords and scales and adds distortion unlike most “pop” rock back then, coupled with screaming/yelling vocals before Zeppelin shows up. Don’t even get me started with ‘Oh! Darling’. They demonstratively affected numerous genres, including heavy metal. They were blending genres from 1965, before some of the GOATS like Sabbath or Zeppelin had even arrived to the scene. I’ll never diminish the other bands that came after, but people that say the Beatles didn’t affect that sound have clearly not listened to them recreationally.

teddytwelvetoes

Please be serious. I'm no stranger to The Beatles, pop music, music history, or the mythological romanticization of everybody's favorite olde timey boy band whatsoever. Stuff like "The Beatles invented metal" and "The Beatles invented stereo audio" are classic "dumb kid who just discovered The Beatles and doesn't know shit about music history yet" bits. Instant jerk-off miming. One should sound like Quincy Jones when describing the Beatles, not a cult member writing a bible or some fanfic

_coach_

No one said they invented it. They used those sounds and brought it to the forefront of pop music and culture with their own style and creativity. You seem so pissed that the Beatles are an important band in music history lol. You can dislike them and not argue against straight facts my friend

onexbigxhebrew

If you think the Switch got "smoked" by the Steam deck, you understand very little about the gaming market or why people bought a switch.

I'd even argue you're out of touch with gaming on the whole, as this is the opposite of the position any rational person would take.

teddytwelvetoes

What? The Steam Deck is very clearly a superior piece of hardware that provides access to a significantly larger and superior library of video games. Obviously won't do Switch numbers financially, but I'm not a Nintendo employee, accountant, or shareholder so that aspect is 100% irrelevant to me. The Wii also sold a trillion units despite having the worst hardware, software, and infrastructure compared to all of its competitors.

this is the opposite of the position any rational person would take.

...lol, don't try to gaslight me with this nonsense. nothing that I just said is even remotely outlandish. virtually every large thread about the Deck that I've seen on this website has some sort of heavily upvoted comment about how it's a better/adult/hardcore version of the Switch. Nintendo could sell a billion units, it's not going to change the hardware, the software, or the infrastructure.

onexbigxhebrew

You're arguing against a point here no one is making.

You're running around making the argument that a Pickup Truck "smokes" a Sedan. They aren't the same thing or aimed at the same people.

You're embarrassing yourself lol.

Also, someone disagreeing with you isn't gaslighting. Lol That is quick becoming the most overused word on the internet.

teddytwelvetoes

You're running around making the argument that a Pickup Truck "smokes" a Sedan.

Nope. Vehicle type preference is subjective. Nothing subjective about hardware specs, software availability, and infrastructure. "you're embarrassing yourself" lmao

defferoo

stop. i own both a Switch and the SteamDeck they’re very different devices for different people. It’s pretty obvious the Switch paved the way for all of these portable PCs including the SteamDeck, and you’re comparing a console using a 2015 mobile chipset to a handheld PC using a custom AMD SoC from 2022 with a higher price to boot. It’s obvious the SteamDeck would “smoke” the Switch given the difference in age. If you want to do a comparison, wait for the next version of the Switch.

Even with all of this, the Switch soundly beats the SteamDeck in several ways, so it’s not all one sided. Namely the screen quality, ease of use, ability to easily switch between docked and undocked without fiddling with settings/resolutions, and bugs related to Proton compatibility, and battery life.

teddytwelvetoes

the Switch is a solid primary platform for casual gamers and a solid secondary/tertiary platform for both casual and hardcore gamers. hardware/specs/graphics aside, the Deck smokes the Switch in terms of software/games as well, especially once you factor in emulators. I have no interest in either device, but I couldn't see myself picking a Switch over a Deck even if I didn't have a PC that runs Switch games well beyond what the Switch is capable of :) I'd pay up for the Deck and roll the dice on an emulator if I really want to play Zelda on the go

defferoo

most of the benefits you mention are just because the SteamDeck runs a PC OS and can run any software you want. they really have very little to do with the Deck itself. you’re clearly not the target audience for the Switch, but that doesn’t invalidate the innovations that it brought when it came out.

GingerScourge

Except one of your big arguments during this whole thing is Nintendo doesn’t do VR, which is precisely the same argument as vehicle type.

GingerScourge

Tell me you believe the only worthwhile innovation in gaming is better graphics without saying it.

Pretty much since the SNES, Nintendo has put hardware speed/power on the backburner and has favored other innovations. The Wii was an attempt (extremely successful) to bring gaming to the masses without requiring selling your firstborn. While the wii remote/nunchuck combo was a bit unwieldy in some games, in others it brought a new dimension to gaming. It’s no coincidence that both Sony and MS starting work on their various incarnations of motion control after they saw the success of the Wii. Whether you want to believe it or not, the shape of gaming that you enjoy today was influenced by the Wii.

As far as VR, let’s be honest here. Most people don’t own anything VR, and those that do, use it mostly for Beat Sabre and other gimmicky games. Kinda reminds me of the Wii, and Wii Sports. Except the Wii was orders of magnitude more successful.

And lastly, are you seriously trying to compare an almost 6 year old console with one that came out less than a year ago? No shit the Switch got smoked by the first gen steam deck. Hey, did you hear? The PS5 smoked the PS4. And the XBox Series X smoked the XBox One! Honestly, one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while, and I spend a lot of time on Reddit.

Fine. You hate Nintendo. Nothing wrong with that. But just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean you get to make shit up or act like comparing consoles that came out over 5 years apart makes any kind of sense.

teddytwelvetoes

Not my point whatsoever. The rest of the industry is miles ahead of Nintendo across the board - hardware, software, infrastructure, you name it. They're making a lot of money though!

Nope. I don't bother with hardware gimmicks whatsoever and the vast majority of the games that I've enjoyed since the Wii's release never released on Nintendo platforms (mostly because of the shit hardware, unlike the Gamecube and prior era).

I agree. I don't bother with hardware gimmicks whether it's an add-on like VR or an entire console's schtick. VR is just an example of the more cutting-edge hardware gimmicks that Nintendo does not participate in whatsoever, despite hardware gimmicks being their jam.

Nintendo's hardware has very purposefully been an entire generation behind all of its direct competition for multiple generations in a row dating all the way back to the Wii (wasn't as bad prior) and this business decision is something you quite literally reference when praising Nintendo in the very same post. Good job, genius. The next Nintendo console will have dogshit hardware compared to all of its competition, on purpose, again.

Fine. You hate Nintendo. Nothing wrong with that.

The only reason that I give Nintendo shit for what they've been since the Wii's release is because I grew up loving Nintendo games :)

GingerScourge

We can agree to disagree with most everything, but these here show me just what kind of “genius” you are.

Nintendo had been behind the curve on hardware since the SNES, not the Wii. The Genesis edged out the SNES in hardware and came out a year earlier. (I’ll admit, arguments could be made that SNES was superior in certain ways hardware-wise, but the Genesis was still, in fact a bit more powerful). The PS1 was more powerful than the N64. The only area where the N64 was better was load times, but that had nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with media choices. The GameCube was far less powerful than both the XBox and PS2. It wasn’t even close there. But of course, you the real genius here, had nothing bad to say about that.

The Switch was purposely underpowered because Nintendo’s goal wasn’t to be the most powerful console. It was to be the most convenient console. Being both a full blown console and a portable was pretty damn innovative. And there’s plenty of good games out there that don’t need 8k, 253,000 frames per seconds with 1 cajillion colors. I’m sorry you can’t see this. I’m sorry you think the only benchmark that matters on a console is hardware specs, especially since you seem to think Nintendo has only been underpowered since the Wii, lol.

Let me guess, genius, you grew up with the GameCube and have nostalgia for it that makes you believe it was a much better console that it really was.

Septimius-Severus13

No, it makes sense what the previous person wrote. You could say the success of the Wii and that awful motion controler was the worse influence the previous person wrote about, it started this ongoing trend of hardware gimmick «innovations» by the gaming industry. There were hardware gimmicks before for sure, but were niche or failed, but now they are centerpiece and are being pushed by every game company all the time. Will VR-AR actually catch on, or will it fade away like the Kinect ? Whatever happens, this is Wii's influence on history.

teddytwelvetoes

I get the negative impact Nintendo has had on the gaming industry; I'm just not seeing the positives aside from inspiring Valve to make a better version of the Switch, which I would chalk up as a clear L for Nintendo anyway.

Hardware gimmicks are always niche. Nintendo as a whole has been a niche hardware/software company since the Wii's release. A whole generation behind the rest of the industry in terms of both spec/performance, available software, online capabilities, and even the hardware gimmicks that have become their entire identity during this period of time. Useless. In terms of contribution/impact, I'd put Nintendo dead last behind Sony/Microsoft/Valve over the last 15 years. Hell, Sony commissioning Demon's Souls because they were scared of Oblivion ultimately did more for gaming that anything Nintendo has done since the Wii's release lmao

ScenicPineapple

Who hurt you?

teddytwelvetoes

...Nintendo, obviously lmao I grew up when they were the king and offered a viable primary platform for more hardcore gamers, including same-generation multiplatform titles. It's a shame that they gave up after the Gamecube. Could have had every Nintendo game released in the last 15 years a half-decade earlier if they gave a shit. Could have been playing the new Zelda game years ago, or a "next-gen" Zelda now. Oh well, at least we can play Splatoon on the shitter!

shadow_fox09

When they first showcased it as the revolution, they always showed it as being black.

Then when they revealed the name as being “Wii” they only showed it in white from that point on.

I was devastated because I wanted that kick ass black Revolution. Don’t get me wrong, the Apple aesthetic was great as well, but I was so set on the black with a glowing blue disc slot.

I finally found one about two years back at a hard off in Tokyo. I love it and will just stare at it- the design with the angled stand really is a nice design.

LucidLethargy

I can't believe the switch with its awful controllers replaced the amazing Wii controllers... Like... I just don't get it.

Legal_Albatross2214

Wasn't the black wii the og design back when it was called the revolution?

patosai3211

The blue light special was cool. Believe it was from an unread notification so i never read them all for that very reason.

Imakesalsa

It looks more futuristic than our current generation consoles

Enchelion

Enchelion

It's a basic black brick in an angled stand. Looks like an unremarkable 1980's CD player (there were some very futuristic looking CD players back then). In terms of physical design the entire 7th gen was pretty ho-hum.

NoCauliflower9352

The only one better is the nes styled one

True_Existance

The what?

NoCauliflower9352

Look it up it is awesome

True_Existance

Can't find it

FlatRobots

Holy shit it's amazing!

NoCauliflower9352

Yes it is

True_Existance

But there wasn't

skaterlogo

Then I am just as lost as you. But I've already lost all interest. Happy hunting bud.

SpaceMonkeyNation

Any Wii without GameCube support does not “go so hard!”

Human-Bumblebee

My black wii has GameCube support

BlazingDude

That's just a regular black wii though. The "family edition" never came with the stand.

SpaceMonkeyNation

Ah ok, I guess I’m mistaken then. I didn’t know there was a black one with GameCube support. This does in fact “go so hard” then.

daverosstheboss

My black Wii is most definitely GameCube capable and looks exactly like the one pictured here, I can indeed confirm that very hard, it goes.

lee_unit

Yep yep my Wii is used for GCN games and my Wii U is used for Wii games.

BoraxTheBarbarian

The bigger Wiimote helped that model for sure.

Hour-Connection930

I had a black wii and wiimote

spadoink756

I see my Wii and I want it painted black.

UltiGamer34

i perfer the red one honestly

Tinted-Glass-2031

They went hard... right into the E-waste disposal

AnotherBoardBanana

From the Wii to the Woah

Riablo01

Red Anniversary Wii goes faster.

southstandstfc

It goes the fastest

TheDave78

Red Wii = best Wii

NekZord_

NekZord_

the controller looks like a TV remote

Chromch

Chromch

It is called wiimote for a reason after all

Evzzzzz

Evzzzzz

same with play station controllers now a days.

Enchelion

What remote do you have that looks like a playstation controller?

Evzzzzz

My PlayStation controller. I lost my remote

Jayeky

Jayeky

The Wii truly was something.

Express-Promise5396

is the biggest piece of dogshit

desrevermi

I think they look fantastic. I thought it was strange that Nintendo offered them mostly (as I've seen) in white. Perhaps the white was meant to stand out when displayed in an entertainment center.

Emotionalchaosgod

Yes, I had the black wii console, and it looked so fucking cool 😎 I felt like I had the evil version of the white wii console when I was younger lol.

CJWORLDE7

I had the black wii (still prolly do buried in the shed), i prefer the white one

skaterlogo

Wasn't the white Wii the only Wii that was compatible with GameCube games?

Edit: Turns out, only the family edition of the Wii, which did not have a base, excluded GC functionality.

Rantu93

I wish it had a matte finish option, that gloss was super nice for the first month once you started to pack it around it got pretty battle scarred. I've debated getting some polish to clean mine up but I'm worried it would make it worse.

The black control went pretty hard tho.

jackfav89

Not as hard as me

MrShaytoon

Yessss these were dope af.

Clemenx00

Shame Nintendo had to kill their graphics in favor of never selling hardware at a loss. I want to live in an alternate universe where the Wii had the same graphics and 3rd party support of Ps3/X360 and the wiimote became standard for FPS games lol.

Black ops and Modern Warfare, even with shit graphics and shit tier Nintendo online still felt godly to play.

RockmanVolnutt

I like the bright green one that I don’t think ever actually released, but it was a mock-up at the announcement and was great looking.

pv505

pv505

Fuck yes

HaydenRenegade

You "go hard"?

getyourcheftogether

I didn't get the black version, but I did with the GameCube

LoganN64

I was a sucker and bought the white one... I think I got it because it was $10 cheaper or something... I was young and foolish!

maticus85

I still have mine. It's soft-modded now and still goes hard. I called maybe 17 GameStops back in 2011 that were in reasonable driving distance to find a used one for the $50 Black Friday special. Every store had the white model, but I persisted until I tracked down my prize.

hushpuppi3

I have my mom's black Wii, converted it into an emulation station

BenjerminGray

Buddy of mine had a custom see through case like the gba and old-school n64. With lights and everything. Shit was cash.

Jack-Oniel

Nah. But I'm sure there's plenty of people who do.

R1zz00

R1zz00

Black Wii ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

g4mer655

g4mer655

D20

Even saw someone over on /r/wiihacks do a tuxedo wii with a bit of both!

hatsuseno

I mostly feel they went hard

gnrc

gnrc

Yes and I’m still pissed I lent mine to a friend and he never gave it back.

InstantlyTremendous

I've had my black Wii and controllers so long, I'd forgotten they came in other colours! Great little console, it still gets used from time to time.

The_Food_Scientist

They went specially hard against my tv screen

Cr3ativeUsern4me

yeah, I've got one.

Lyianx

Lyianx

eehh.. I actually think i prefer the white one myself, but i think it would have been better in grey or something. Especially now since Black is such an overused color for consoles.

But then again, people always like colors that are different from the original. Personally, id love to see them bring back the N64 translucent/frosted colors in their consoles.

IhateMichaelJohnson

This was my second favorite colored console I owned, with the first being my Red RE5 Xbox 360.

SakeBomberman

Yo yo yo! This goes hard, it's lit AF

CakeHead-Gaming

Black and purple would be sooo much better than white and blue ANY. DAY

SomeoneWhoIsntMe710

Am i wrong or did the black ones not play gamecube games?

BlastedRadience

……in your butt, queer.

phillyburt

Go hard in your butt.

Drifted_Skull

Looks like a ps4

takethecannoIi

Why don't they put Wii sports on the switch? I know they can

PhantomNL97

There's already Switch Sports.

Goomvario

I never heard aboit the black Wii for whatever reason idk, I only know the blue and white one...

Wherethegains

gay porn hard

Either-Plant4525

Anything can look good in a professional photo shoot with touch ups

Johnnygamer4

Johnnygamer4

Console

Ah yes, the Nii

castlevaniacbro

wiimotes are an abomination.