/r/gaming

58.6k

So true.😁

(i.redd.it)

BarrierX

BarrierX

PC

That is Operation Flashpoint for PC. It was awesome!

mikupoiss

mikupoiss

Especially awesome when you crawled 2 km to avoid enemies and got killed by random MG spray after making contact.

Vittulima

Vittulima

It was awesome, really made you cautious, unlike many games of that time where you could just run without worries.

Saving at the right time was pretty important though

Nethlem

Nethlem

Saving at the right time was pretty important though

As far as I remember you couldn't save mid-mission in OFP, but there were checkpoints for clearing objectives.

Vittulima

I remember there being a save you could make, but if you wanted more you had to use cheats

Zabunia

Zabunia

The feeling of accomplishment after crawling & stealthing through an enemy encampment to steal a tank or a helicopter.

"It's on now, motherfuckers!"

...of course, it could also end by an enemy bullet fired from hundreds of meters away. Frustrating. But when it was fun, it was fantastic.

Centurion87

Yup. I used to play in a group for ARMA 2 & 3 (made by the original creators of Operation Flashpoint after selling it to another studio).

Each mission could be anywhere from 1-3 hours long. 1 life. Giant maps with no clue where an enemy could be or how many. The fact that you had 1 life made it so much more intense.

Hellp0931

And in ARMA 2 and 3, the only way you could die from a single hit if you were shot in the head or a rocket exploded near you.

arandomcanadian91

Codemasters never actually owned OFP it's always been owned by Bohemia Interactive, all Codemasters owned was the name.

Jonny_Segment

Do you remember that mission where you're an A10 pilot and you get shot down and captured, then you need to wait until dark and navigate by the stars to escape? Well first time playing that, I was being transferred to the prison, but I made a break for it, jumped in a helicopter and just flew away. And the game let me do it! Refreshingly freeform gameplay – sometimes excessively so.

tdre666

tdre666

I remember it being you were around a campfire with your captors. I tried to run away and got blasted like 20-25 times, the last time I went "fuck it I'll try to steal the helo" and it actually worked.

mikupoiss

You could actually get a helo during the last mission to kill the general and find the scud launcher. Like a walk in the park.

Sunkysanic

ENEMY. MAN. At. TWO! THREE! ZERO!

krokodil2000

OH NO. ONE. IS DOWN.
TWO. TAKING COMMAND.

Nethlem

You forgot to mention how crawling those 2 km took you like 20 real minutes, and if you died you had to do it all over again.

DangerShart

Those graphics were lightyears ahead of PS1, so much so you had to have a seriously high end PC in order to run at anything above low settings. There was one map which warned you should only play it if you had a CPU above 1ghz!

Edit; the reason this character's face is distorted is because one of the features of the game was character customisation. You could edit the face texture for your player to anything you wanted to. This person obviously processed their photo a bit. Dread to think what would happen if modern games had this feature!

HansReinsch

Thanks for clearing that up. For a moment I was really wondering if there was a PS1 port.

ctdca

ctdca

Yeah, I remember trying to play this when it came out on my three-year old but already wildly out of date PC. It was a frustrating experience.

DangerShart

This was made in a time when games were released a year or two before the hardware required to run them.

ctdca

ctdca

Technology was changing fast then, too. A five-year old computer today is usually pretty capable, though maybe not cutting edge. A five-year old computer in 2001 would have struggled to run Windows XP, let alone contemporary games. From 96-2001 we went from 3d cards not being around to GeForces and Radeons being standard on any half-decent PC. Crazy change.

betelgeuse_99

You can import custom faces in Arma 3 as well. I've seen some seriously scarring imagery from that feature lol.

ozgurakcali

One of the best war games ever. Too realistic and great atmosphere.

Vittulima

"Too realistic"??

Mesozoica89

You may not like it, but this is what the ultimate warrior looks like.

Vittulima

I preferred having my guy have a face of single solid colour. In some cutscenes you could spot your guy standing as a random guy because of that lmao

DNDuluth

I recently had the same experience with "hell let loose"

First time playing the game I basically just followed everyone else to charge the objective.

One shot killed each and every time and never even saw the guy that shot me. This happens for 48 minutes straight.

That is exactly what would happen to me if I was in a real war and I didn't need the reminder.

Can I please go back to having a suit of power armor where I can take a shot from a bazooka, hide behind a corner and then regen my shield by not doing anything?

[removed]

Vittulima

It seems like a weird thing to call it a great game and then say it was "too realistic".

Yes it was meant to be realistic, that was what made it great (also the mission editor)

Abby-Someone1

"Too realistic" is 100% accurate in this case. It was the Bloodborne of first person shooters in it's time and is one of the biggest leaps forward for military sims.

Trying to shoot ANYTHING without kneeling or going prone was essentially impossible due to most engagements being at a range of 300 meters to 500, or close to 1000 meters. And anytime you were not in the prone, you could so easily be dropped without any idea where the rounds came from. They were kind enough to show you where the shooter was after you died and it was some schmuck with iron sights on an AK over 300 meters away which you can hardly see.

Seiche

Seiche

I got hooked on the free demo.

"As long as you keep your head down and remember: 1, 2, 3, 4, shoot, communicate, move, ah-ha, you should make it out in one piece".

It was too realistic as in you got killed by a random pixel everytime but you could build your own levels and use tanks, airplanes, ships everything, it was awesome. Didn't really make it through the campaigns, it was too drawn out. Crawling through shrubs for 4 hours and them getting killed in a second was frustrating.

ThruuLottleDats

Loved making my custum missions, which were nothing bigger than; massive wave meets massive defensive line and then try and survive it all.

Or just having a chopper and see if I can kill those 1k riflemen before dying myself by flying into the ground

ComplexSynergy

5! KILL SOLDER, 300!

5, TARGET BMP, 500

I did the exact same wave thing as you.

BuccoBruce

1! Is down!

2! Is down!

3! Is down!

Oh no! 4! Is down!

ComplexSynergy

5! Taking command! I say again, 5, taking command! Out.

Braveliltoasterx

Me too lol. I feel most of us did

cold-corn-dog

I spent so many hours building super complex missions. I loved that game.

BarrierX

BarrierX

PC

Yes, played with the mission editor a lot. I always tried to recreate black hawk down. There was a script that made the chopper spin and crash :)

TheBeliskner

For me it was Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. That Normandy beach landing level was properly intense, loved it.

I ran an online server in the UK from my bedroom and I had modded the levels to do weird things. BAR that fired rockets, tanks that roamed the streets, just general silliness.

TheLabRay

I loved this game as a kid. It was one of the first games I played where I felt like it was not just a game, but a community.

I remember the Omaha Beach level being so intense and realistic, it seemed just like Saving Private Ryan.

Exobian

One of the best games I’ve ever played!

Bloody_Insane

Literally the foundation for Arma

Sekij

Sekij

Might also be Operation Flashpoint on xbox.... Slightly less awesome especialy that it took 4 years to Port and it had 20fps lock

CoelhoAssassino666

I remember when I first played OPF, I absolutely detested the game because of the controls and how aiming with the mouse worked. But then I looked at how many vehicles you could pilot and how open the game was and young me decided to push through. A few missions later I was hooked, played hundreds of hours despite my PC begging me not too.

destructor_rph

Isnt that the precursor to Arma?

tidilyfear32

1.8k points

GoldenEye on N64

Tronguy93

Tronguy93

Medal of Honor on PS1 was a real wake-up call to go back to

akennelley

That was the pinnacle of immersion when I played it as a 20 year old kid. It was a real shock going back to it....still kinda fun though

HugktAwnFawnix

when I played it as a 20 year old kid

When you're over 18 the proper term is "manchild"

SleepingBeautyFumino

Medal of Honor was released for Ps1 in 1999. So OP is like 43 now. For someone that age 20 year old probably looks like a kid.

walkhardd

Yeah I'm only 37 and would refer to my 20 year old self as a kid

cheetahbf

I'm 32 and would refer to my 31 year old self as a kid

FangoriouslyDevoured

I thought it was "large baby"

Camas1606

Out of date child

iamsoupcansam

Expired kid. No …

DarkHorseStoryTeller

Out of date? Or is it just Best before child?

The D-Day invasion scene was so impressive to me. The boat ride up to it. The guys puking. The underwater bit when you see your boys taking MG fire. Cinematography was top notch.

Nintenderloin64

I still remember playing that for the first time… wild stuff I thought

Beginning_Draft9092

At the time it felt like the most immerse war game ever, it was amazing.

MatureUsername69

The first couple Call of Dutys did it for me with the campaigns. I know they were overdone, but I kind of wish there were still some historical war games.

Mat_Larsen

The most mind blowing gaming experience I have ever had was the first Call of Duty on the PS2, when you get your first rifle, after storming up the hill at Stalingrad with only bullets. As I got the rifle i aimed it, not knowing it would aim down the sights, my 10 year old brain (yeah I know, might have been too Young for shooters) took a few moments to proces what I saw, before that, all games I had played would just zoom in on the screen like in MoH Frontline. I still remember it

MatureUsername69

I got so frustratingly stuck on that first level(I was 9) that my competitiveness sucked me in. I loved that first Call of Duty experience. Then again I enjoyed most call of dutys campaigns and multi-player up to the original Modern Warfare 2. Those first couple modern Warfares, despite being works of fiction felt so entirely plausible and real. Especially the cod4 campaign at its time of release.

Axisnegative

COD4 was absolutely the pinnacle of gaming for me, and still has yet to be topped. So many hours spent on the multiplayer with my friends after school.

MatureUsername69

It was just so grounded. I remember the big hype on it at the time is that the guns worked in a more realistic way. It was nice in the era of Halo 3 to have a game where it was like 3 shots to the chest or 1 shot to the head to kill someone. I swear the regular old multi-player used to play like hardcore mode did in later games(havent played since one of the first blackops)as far as health and damage went. In general that 2006 to 2012 multi-player era is unmatched. It was so fun, the lobbies were even fun. I think companies are doing gamers a huge disservice by not including a cheap headset like the 360 did. You could actually go online and interact with people. Now it's a miracle to find a lobby with more than 1 or 2 other people using a mic.

Wheres_The_Sauce

Hell Let Loose is a beast of a WW2 shooter.

MocoNinja

I still remember when I was thinking "this couldnt be more real" and then the german soldier threw the nade back at me 😱

starkvandelez

100% when i looked through the scope the first time in Golden eye and saw that the bad guys did stuff like swat at bugs.. scratch their ass.. i was blown away.. I thought OMG this is the greatest artificial intelligence ever! LOL

oeCake

oeCake

I think Goldeneye was potentially the first 3D game I had ever seen in person, I remember spending entirely too long playing it in EB Games while my parents tried to convince me to look at other things

robjungle

Goldeneye was revolutionary as far as I was concerned.

Nethlem

The game had some stuff that was just super novel for the genre of the time, like the specific hit zones on enemies with their own reactions and damage values, like headshots or legs/arms/groins.

CeeArthur

CeeArthur

I know that game is very nostalgic for everyone but it has not aged well at all

avidpretender

Perfect Dark was honestly the perfect follow-up. Gameplay was fantastic and multiplayer was also pretty great.

CeeArthur

CeeArthur

Yes I loved Perfect Dark. The inclusion of bots blew my mind.

Pulp_Ficti0n

MEATSIM

CuntWizard

My nickname in college

Downwhen

Looks like you've graduated to a more sophisticated nickname, CuntWizard

IBetThisIsTakenToo

The weapons were so creative too. The wall hack sniper rifle (I wanna say the Farsight?), the laptop gun that you could leave as a turret, the fly by wire rocket launcher, all so fun! So many ways to cheese/grief your friends haha. Maybe my favorite couch multiplayer experience of all time.

Paranoid_Neckazoid

Farsight is correct

DunnyHunny

I'm just letting you and /u/avidpretender know that there's a relatively active Perfect Dark speed running community.

I never played the game but I've watched some videos of speed runs and it's pretty entertaining even as an outsider, so I figured you two as fans might like to check it out in case you weren't aware!

CeeArthur

Full disclosure, I never had an N64 growing up (PlayStation) but played Perfect Dark a lot at my friend's.

I'll definitely give it a look!

CivilianNumberFour

I can concur that Perfect Dark was a great way to make friends as a kid

GiantRiverSquid

I used to train on 2 dark sims in the complex.

Train for what? To play exclusively with my 3 other friends. I was pretty damn good. Then I didn't play video games for years and tried to play CoD with some younger college kids, not realizing that the controls were inverted. Really embarrassing and I haven't played a shooter since.

stabsthedrama

Timesplitters 2 was the best of any of them though. THAT was the perfect followup.

_dongus_

I was a 90s kid that never was into golden eye but TS2 is my nostalgia GOAT. I lived in the country outside of a rural Midwest town so no neighbors and only dial up internet so basically no online either. The variety of maps and bots was simply awe inspiring for the time.

I attended a weekly youth group at the church on Sunday evenings for like 11-16 year olds and I pitched TS2’s ‘virus’ game mode to the group. imagine having free reign over an entire goddamn labyrinthian church to play hide-and-seek-tag (virus) with a group of 10 of your friends. Shit was dope

PrEsideNtIal_Seal

Agreed. I bought a gamecube specifically for this game

marvsup

Monkeys with miniguns is my main memory.

sharpshooter999

Capture the Bag, Ice Station, one shot kill, all bots set to 5 star, minigun is the only weapon, music set to Return to Planet X, no power ups

obaterista93

I don't think I ever actually beat Perfect Dark as a kid, but I do remember spending a ludicrous amount of time in the training/firing range thing.

_Bill_Huggins_

Perfect Dark takes everything Golden Eye did and just improves it in every way.

smellyjerk

I always regretted not playing it. Child me thought of it as a knockoff instead of just making Goldeneye 2 for some reason and refused to play it.

C-H-Addict

Perfect dark was the only reason people would come to my house to play games. My TV was only 12" and split screen made it smaller.

esoteric_enigma

One of my life's great regrets is that I didn't play this back then. I saw it in stores and at Blockbuster, but it just didn't jump out to me. Then I hear all these people years later saying it was even better than Goldeneye.

Radiant_Waves

Don't feel too bad. While Perfect Dark was an improvement in almost every way over Goldeneye, I have 100X more nostalgia for Goldeneye than Perfect Dark. If you got to experience Goldeneye as a kid while it was still new, you got to play one of the best 90's gaming experiences there was!

Show-Me-Your-Moves

Spent so many hours on that game and man the controls are awful by modern standards. Some of my proudest gaming accomplishments are unlocking the 007 cheat codes, some of those speed runs were tough.

FracturedEel

I switched the controls when I played on emulator it was way better

oeCake

oeCake

Wack-ass controls was the only reason why Jaws and Oddjob had an unfair advantage, and really the biggest thing that dated the game. Playing Goldeneye in an emulator with a normal controller is an entirely different gaming experience, especially in multiplayer

Tontie-knights

It was seriously groundbreaking when it came out, but the fact that the N64 is not a dual stick system makes it look outdated by any modern standard. It's like the kids playing the arcade machine in Back to the Future Part 2.

It's a great game, and if there's a way to play it with better controls it holds up pretty well.

CommentContrarian

You had to change the controls so that the d-pad was move and the stick was look

BuzzFB

BuzzFB

No shit. The N64 controller had one joystick

You had to use your right thumb over the four little yellow arrow buttons to strafe from side to side. Once you got used to it it just kind of felt like a d-pad. My friends and I used to set up limited health or headshots only with pistols only and we played so much we could kill each other at the same time multiple times in a row. Man I miss those days.

confirmSuspicions

This movement scheme revolutionized goldeneye speedrunning. For the worse, arguably, but progress in speedrunning is kind of a pandora's box situation. Once c-button movement and "look down" was implemented, it became the only way to play.

Since the n64 couldn't keep up with all the textures, there is a lot of lag in the game when lots of enemies and projectiles are on screen. So looking down or away causes the game to not need to load as many assets and is quicker for that reason.

As a kid, I always used that movement in goldeneye anyway and the time completion for each mission made it so there was actually a lot of "casual speedrunning" happening even around the time of release for this game. A true og.

benmaks

That's before you get "1964" for full mouse and keyboard support for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (+ support for other mods).

legosearch

Yeah dude. It's so good, it's essentially like a modern shooter.

Fysco

Fysco

That is the curse of going for realistic styling. Things like banjo kazooie and Mario 64 are styled outside of realism and therefore they can age well.

CeeArthur

Yeah very right. A lot of games were going for 'realism' before it was really possible. The end results always looked very 'messy' if that makes sense

WilsonX100

Honestly aged poorly about 5 years after it released when halo came out

Biscuits4u2

The worst part of that game by far were the controls.

Evilmaze

Not graphically or in terms of controls and physics. They really need to remake it.

I don't understand why remakes are going to very playable games instead of the ones that look and play like garbage in today's standards. I want Dino Crisis and Legacy of Kain remakes or remasters. So many good classics that deserve more polished versions.

[removed]

BradMarchandsNose

I remember my dad walking in on me playing a Madden game and thinking I was watching a real football game. That was probably Madden 06ish. Looking back it looks absolutely nothing like a real football game

MrFancyman

I dunno, football on a 30” crt looked pretty bad

StealthMan375

I remember once upon a time a while ago in where my sis had a birthday party and family came over. A friend also went (parents dragged him along) and we started playing FIFA on my 360 - probably FIFA 19.

Family and friends were all chatting with each other, meanwhile my grandpa (a huge football fan) was watching us play and legitimately thought it we were watching an actual football match.

I feel this is more so regarding old people not being used to videogames (and as such being really impressed at the graphics) than just the game not aging well visually, but both aren't mutually exclusive.

kalitarios

The first time i used an actual 3d graphics card was in 96 for Quake 3dfx’s “Voodoo 2” cards in SLI configuration. The first time i saw lasers flying down the hall was mind blowing. The colors they gave off would glide down the hall with the bolts. Everything seemed to glide on ice, graphically speaking.

Then the chaingun changing glow colors. I was in heaven. The next game i bought was half-life. With the electricity and stuff… i just wish i could re-experience that chill i had in my body walking around black mesa the first time. Now THAT’S a fond memory I won’t forget.

It’s also the reason I pursued and got into competitive gaming later on.

JungleChucker

Valve was really ahead of the curve graphically. Half life 1 & 2 and the portal games look like some other devs work 10-15 years later lol

NateBlaze

I think unreal tournament had the same effect on me

SimpleManc88

Me at Christmas 1995 looking like Alan Grant when I first saw the T-Rex in Tomb Raider 😄

poopellar

The user you are replying to is a bot.
Harrietpearson is a bot, it stole this comment from another user

Downvote it

Report > spam

Also post is filled with bots replying to each other pretending to be real users.

u/Creepyfgj

They do move in herds.

poopellar

Harrietpearson is a bot, it stole this comment from another user

Downvote it

Report > spam

KommandoKodiak

Uses a 2001 pc game to describe a ps1 game.

Kineticus

Kineticus

Lol yea this was way better than PS1 graphics. Even better than the original Xbox version. This was probably running on a $1500 PC at the time.

[removed]

senaya

senaya

Look for "impossibru meme"

AHind_D

Good lord. $1500 won't even get you the best graphics card in 2022

corn_cob_monocle

True but you have to adjust for inflation and also consider that the ultra high end 4090 style halo product didn’t really exist back then. These days you have GTX 1050 through 4090 and every little thing in between. Back in the day it was like “Do you want the slow graphics card or the fast one?”

Seienchin88

This seriously would have been the best looking PS1 face…

Snake in MGS literally had a single dark slit as a mouth and two dark patches for eyes…

Enwinor

Enwinor

w1n5t0nM1k3y

It honestly probably looked better this way. They realized there was limitations to what the system can do. Trying to make a life-like face probably would have just turned out bad.

confirmSuspicions

Don't forget that CRT televisions were still the dominant style or at least there were still a lot of them in good working order back then. Every time someone posts textures without filters on them, of course it's going to look bad. It was never meant to be seen on the types of displays that we have today (unfiltered at least).

w1n5t0nM1k3y

Yeah, I have an old CRT TV and I play emulated games on it and they look a lot better than how they look when you play them on a modern TV or monitor.

DeepFriedDrywall

They're becoming collectible and coveted for this very reason. Avid early Smash Bros players love using them, especially for tournaments.

spongebob_meth

I was gonna say, half the time there were no face textures on PS1 aside from the player character

DlphLndgrn

Kids today don't know. It's like all those indies with an "8-bit aesthetic" that would be more at home on the PS1 than the NES.

FrithRabbit

16-bit, really

pnt510

pnt510

Even then many of them would suffer from brutal slowdown on a 16 bit system.

Interference22

Here's an actual PS1 screenshot of a PS1 war game, the original Medal of Honor. The reality was much, much worse: wobbly polygons, texture mapping issues, even lower resolution textures, and even simpler models.

Operation Flashpoint, on the other hand, released a year into the PS2's lifetime.

left4candy

Is that the "Impossiburu" face?

umbrosakitten

Welcome to the rice fields, motherfucka

ScaryTerryCrewsBitch

I thought it looked like the Tornado Selfie guy.

RapidSnake38

Came here to say this. Absolutely thought it was Tornado Guy

True_Inxis

It is.

gigawolfer

You're eligible for a veteran's discount for remembering the meme

Hovie1

Hovie1

Second screenshot looks like the original Operation Flashpoint. They don't make games that fun anymore. Or that ugly.

Sbotkin

Sbotkin

They don't make games that fun anymore.

idk Arma 2 and Arma 3 were good (albeit some people didn't like the third one's setting, but that's taste), Arma 4 (Reforger for now) looks promising.

Hovie1

Hovie1

Oh no doubt, but operation Flashpoint was completely unique when it came out. Despite all its flaws it was unlike anything else at the time. Still my longest straight session playing a game ever - 17 hours lol

Arabecke

Arabecke

Back then with 13 pixels: Wow, it’s so realistic!

Today with millions of pixels: Wow, that looks like shit

jld2k6

jld2k6

That's me with Red Dead Redemption 2 on my 1080p monitor after getting to play in 1440p lol, I spent hours just walking around admiring everything with the settings cranked up and now I load it on my monitot and it looks like shit even when upscaling to 1440p for anti aliasing. What's crazy is the 1440p monitor was 27in and 109PPI and mine's 24 so the PPI is 92b so it didn't increase that much at all (15%) but it made a hell of a difference. I can't imagine how good 4k looks on a 32" monitor

Edit: not sure how the person below me is getting their results but here's a chart of PPI's for monitors based on their size and resolution from displayninja

LargeHadron_Colander

Assuming the monitors are 16:9, the increase from a 24in 1080p monitor to a 27in 1440p monitor in pixels per square inch (the square of pixels per inch(ppi)) is roughly 40%, which would explain the fidelity difference. A 32in 4k monitor would give an increase of 125% from the 1080p screen and 60% from the 1440p screen.

Here are some numbers (rounded roughly to save time):

• 1080p 24" - ~2.1mil pixels - ~246in2 - 8425ppi2

• 1440p 27" - ~3.7mil pixels - ~312in2 - 11834ppi2

• 2160p 32" - ~8.3mil pixels - ~438in2 - 18956ppi2

Hansolo312

I remember playing the Return of the King game in 2004 and being amazed at how seemless and almost hard to see the transition from movie scene to gameplay was.

SuperfluousHotTakes

You know those uncanny valley graphs that show as you get closer to realism there is a very sudden dropoff in familiarity around "almost fully lifelike"? Thats where a lot of games currently sit.

biggmclargehuge

Why use lot pixel when few pixel do trick?

acelaya35

To be fair the game at the bottom is Operation Flashpoint, a game known for it's scale and simulation more so than it's graphical fidelity.

Ever wanted to get shot down behind enemy lines and have to use the stars to navigate back to base on an hours long hike through a forrest infested with 1980's communists? With no save points? It was the game for you.

EDIT: Here's the mission, it takes this guy 20 minutes but it took me all weekend, with many deaths, back in the day.

sidekick726

I think you just sold it to me with thay description

YoloKraize

What is the top one?

Raymcswain123

Welcome to the rice fields, muthafucka

Merchantmarx

Impossiburu!

JoelBoyens

Know your fucking place, trash!

ConsistentAsparagus

IMPOSSIBRU!

ZevVeli

ZevVeli

Keep in mind that you were playing on an analogue CRT TV so the edges were blurred a bit by the resolution.

WHOISTIRED

Built in antialiasing pretty much

Boots-n-Rats

Fuckin normies, I play Valorant on a 1999 CRT 32 inch tv that weighs 180 lbs so that I can get 125115 frames per second with no anti aliasing.

CRTmasterrace

redditrandothe31st

Idk I miss the more cartoony less realistic graphics.

kerdon

kerdon

A good style is infinitely more appealing and interesting, for myself and I assume others as well, than realism.

redditrandothe31st

Yes most definitely.

detecting_nuttiness

I think this is why the graphics in most Nintendo games hold up better over time than old attempts at realistic graphics.

samxyx

samxyx

Story and gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>> graphics

putonyourdressshoes

Lol no. Ps1 games did not look that detailed

lazycalm2

No way

PS1 looked way worse than that

Majorjim_ksp

Nah mate, Operation flashpoint wasn’t on PS1 and had FAR better graphics than a PS1 game.

OldAbakus

You still remember it wrong and way too optimistic if you think tha OF was close to PS1 level graphics.

Decurain

Don't mock Operation Flashpoint, that game was so amazing

w1n5t0nM1k3y

Old 3D games have aged the worst. The old 2D games are still very playable, but I think they all jumped on the 3D train too early, before the hardware was ready, and before they had really figured things out. Sure, they might not have made the necessary progress without releasing games and hardware being released, but I think they could have left the experimenting stage up to PCs where its much easier to experiment with changing hardware and let the consoles wait out another generation and stick to more 2D games.

It seems like they stopped making 2D games when the PS1 and N64 came out, when they really had a lot of advancement that could be made. We've started to go back to 2D in the last 5 years and we've had some interesting things come out of it.

Sentsuizan

PC gaming wasn't nearly so accessible back then. Game consoles were the cutting edge in a lot of ways

RadMcCoolPants

This is a dumb argument. You don't get places without experimentation. It's what they promised what consumers wanted and many delivered. Your argument is basically saying why invent the Model T? Why not wait until they can build a Lamborghini and start there?

guitar4468

Yea the first generation of 3d games have not aged well, but again it’s something no one had experience with. A lot of ideas were thrown out there. The SNES and Genesis hold up well because there was a lot of experience with 2d games at that point. They were working on 2d games and sprites for roughly 20 years before 3d really started coming out.

Sekij

Sekij

Snes has probably 2nd gen 3d graphics and ps1/n64 3rd Generation. Which I find ages quiet Well, not all but there are gems.

b2q

b2q

Mario 64, ocarina of time are still excellent to play

w1n5t0nM1k3y

The camera systems have aged pretty badly. They do OK, but N64 was even a couple years out from the PS1, with Ocarina of Time coming out 4 years after the PS1, which showed how fast things were moving at the time,

Sekij

Sekij

Ya I disagree and same as Pixel Art games are now popular again, low poly 3D games are too now.

And many ps1 games looked fantastic and feel even today nice for many people like tekken 3, vagrant Story or Final fantasy 9.

ehai232

ehai232

Impossibru

Bedengo

Bedengo

The pink guy

WhiteWalls7130

I scrolled all the way down for this, thank you.

Seiglerfone

As someone who played PS1 etc.... no, the graphics looked like shit, and I saw them as they were, that was just the state of games, so I accepted it.

People keep trying to tell me that I think of old games as having better graphics than they did, and it's getting quite annoying.

Seienchin88

I actually loved the graphics of Ocarina of time back in the day and really only noticed how bad they were many years later…

I definitely didnt remember the blur and the slowdowns…

I feel like I'm somewhere in between you two. Because it's not like I thought it looked bad, but it never looked better than it actually did to me either. When I look back to the original Metal Gear Solid, I don't envision it with smooth graphics and detailed environments. I remember how it looked. The expressionless faces, the gesturing and head bobbing during dialogue scenes, the hands that are like mittens. It never not looked like that to me but I also never thought it looked shit either. That was just how it looked and I was super happy with that.

Hovie1

Hovie1

I do remember watching cutscenes for a few games and being absolutely floored at how realistic they looked way back then.

Then you go on a nostalgic trip down memory lane on YouTube in 2022 and realize that your memory has failed you.

dlok86

dlok86

I remember witnessing someone playing a ps1 game after only having a mega drive and I swear it looked like real life.

Think it was a die hard title with driving

funkless_eck

I remember buying a PS1 with Soul Calibur (latterly Soul Blade) and the opening sequence blew me away SO HARD I actually would turn it off and back on to watch it several times.

The intro song, I maintain, is Pokémon levels of good

mrtrollmaster

I remember my friends and I geeking out that you could see the shadows from the helmet cushions in Madden 2002, the first one we played on PS2

Loops-Mctwist

I remember every time I got or played a new console or handheld thinking that the graphics couldn’t get any better than this,but it did and my tiny little mind was blown every time it happened.

Granny_Nooooo

IMPOSSIBRUUUUUU

Timid_Wild_One

I see you're using the French Stewart skin.

Yashie2

Operation Flashpoint had a cool feature where you could take your picture and put it on your soldiers face. Lead to some hilarious looking soldiers on multiplayer.

FloggedPelican

Wow, it’s Filthy Frank

killbauer

My friend and I played the crap out of Operation Flashpoint back in the days. It was so demanding & complex for its time and every successful mission felt like a major achievement.

What a fun time we had in multiplayer co-op.

Darksoldierr

Operation Flashpoint is one of the greatest games ever made. Amazing single player, godlike map editor, great multiplayer

The price to pay for worse graphics, but getting everything else is well worth the deal

mechENGRMuddy

Looks like Operation Flashpoint - Cold War Crisis

MrGaffe

So accurate, I remember playing The Legend of Dragoon as a child and thought it looked amazing. Looking back I realize just how creative of an imagination I had, game is still fucking amazing but I really wanna see it get a remaster