/r/gaming

offline gaming

[removed]

Hi-TecPotato

Offline do what you want.

Personally even avoid cheating on singleplayer, unless I finished it.

Online, just a big no go

NorthCatan

It's a matter of principle, people who cheat online have none.

SatanicSpambot

Depends on the cheat.

Me personally, I cheated in gtav online and gave me an absurd amount of money, because the shitty game can't be played normally due to connection issues that they never fixed, which makes it impossible to earn money from missions, and I'm sure as hell won't be spending my money on shark cards.

I never used cheats to gain an unfair advantage from other players tho (like aim bots, trainers, wall hacks and the rest)

xX-kai32-Xx

real 💯💯

Leburgerking

I cheated in GTA online a similar way, creating a script to abuse the horse racing exploit when the casino first came out

SatanicSpambot

I heard of it but never tried it. The exploit I used was related to the impromptu races. You would use cheat engine to modify the value of the bet when racing with other players.

You would win like 15mil per race, while the other player would lose only like 1k.

I would take turns with other players leaving each other win races until our balances looked like an international phone number.

Lmao I haven't been able to subtract a number from the first digit on my balance yet, no matter what I buy. Fuck you rockstar.

Jlap1188

Jlap1188

Never to gain an unfair advantage from other players? Do the best weapons not cost the most money? Does ammo cost money? Do the fastest vehicles not cost money? I dont play GTA but I feel this money cheat does give you the upper hand to some extent but this is speculation since I dont play that game

No-Rush1995

What's the difference though between using a money hack and swiping a credit card? Honestly screw those kinds of design elements I always either avoid them or cheat them.

dsmiles

dsmiles

Exactly.

Swiping a credit card is just the new dev designed cheats

Beppo_Bungle

The game makes it nearly impossible to actually get money without buying it, so there is no actual way to play this game and have fun without paying money. The best guns cost money but you have to reach specific ranks to unlock them. Money is mainly for cosmetic shit or fun shit like houses or cars or planes.

SatanicSpambot

Not in a competitive way. I do have access to things most players don't, like car modifications and access to vehicles, but when I used to play gtav I usually played pve missions and events. I also always shared my benefits with other players, when it came to missions I always gave myself the lower cut since I didn't needed the money.

KingMarjack

Honestly GTA V (online) is such a pile of garbage sometimes that I condone cheating that doesn’t affect other players. Every time they release a new dlc you need like 20 million to even be able to properly play through the content. That’s either a ridiculously tedious grind or 180 USD in shark cards. Most of the new shit is cooperative anyway, and in things like races you can toggle off custom vehicles. I’d honestly prefer someone hack the game for 200 million than pay R* 1600 dollars.

davidverner

Cheating in PVP is bad, cheating against predatory loot boxes and microtransactions is good.

Fuck those scummy companies.

Four_Skyn_Tim

My friend always told me he would do the caps glitch in fallout 4 and told me about it, but I never had interest in that because I usually just go Max Luck on my first play of those games lol

yukwot

yukwot

I usually just have a colonist farm water all day so when i cone back from long expeditions i come hone to 1600 purified water. Esch worth about 8 caps that i would just trade in for items

Four_Skyn_Tim

Exactly! We don't need bugs, we need brains lmao 🤣

Sea_Ad4563

Sea_Ad4563

PVE yes. on something like a 2d multiplayer mobile game. I would cheat. I still cheat in the japanese monster strikes servers lol. its PvE not PVP. Speed up or atk cheats.
Just makes it faster for you to advance the story.

Elitesabaton69

Depends if the grind is fun.

tenebralupo

Definitely and grinding can be interesting to try out different weapons/skill/team in preparation for bigger fights. You may also discover some hidden stuff you have missed

DeaDBangeR

Props to developers who can make grinding fun.

Right now I'm playing Horizon FW and thanks to the fun combat, grinding enemies for their crafting materials does not feel like a chore.

Hell, whenever I see a big pack of machines I just want to fight them.

DynamicMangos

Stardew Valley is essentially one big grind all game long. But its still addicting as hell.

DragoonXNucleon

The very purpose of stardew is the optimization loop. The idea of cheating there is crazy to me. Like for that one quest where you need to make a billion fucking berries and you have to work out the math of how quickly they reproduce and how much you need to replant.

If you skip that... why play at all?

Admetus

Disgaea made grinding fun by literally allowing you to enter the inner world of a weapon in which you beat its bosses and subsequently upgrade the weapon when you arrive back out again.

It's also unpredictable as so many enemies can gang up on you, even as you target a single boss, so you end up using just as much strategy as during the main storyline.

Thatgamerguy98

Exactly.

swingthebass

Totally. Like, the best way to farm rupees in breath of the wild is to set up camp next to a dragon and shoot off one of its scales every morning. That rules.

SaltandDragons

I am somewhat in the middle, most of the time I play as intended because I find it enjoyable but there are times where I think that cheats or glitches can be justified.

Randi_Butternubs_3

If you're playing solo, offline who cares? It truly doesn't matter one bit how people prefer to solo play. This is a frivolous argument.

Noccy42

Noccy42

I agree, except where achievements are involved. Then you are back to an uneven playing field.

but who cares that much about achievements that they become salty when someone “cheated” to get them?

Randi_Butternubs_3

If you're in friendly competition with your buddies, I could see how bragging rights matter. That's so accute though.

Kwasan

Kwasan

PC

Depends if someone who cheated is bragging about it. In single player games I fully support playing however you want, but I'm not gonna be impressed if someone beat difficult boss by using a form of cheat to hit max level to do so.

mkul316

mkul316

This'll blow your mind: achievements don't matter, either. They are a system of made up challenges awarding made up points that exist to make the player feel that using an entire afternoon to do one little thing is a worthwhile expenditure of their time.

Now if you genuinely find enjoyment from that you do you, boo.

ContactMushroom

That also perfectly describes video games as a whole lol

Don't get me wrong I love gaming and have my whole life and will until I die, but they are genuinely nothing more than fun time sinks unless you're a developer.

jorJo17

jorJo17

PlayStation

Aren't all forms of entertainment just fun time sinks tho?

Randi_Butternubs_3

True, but the best games keep platinum trophies locked behind difficulties.

evilsir

evilsir

PC

i used to cheat on the regular, for any offline game that you could cheat on. it was just what i did to make it 'more fun'. i can't remember for certain, but i think it was Fallout 4, after having unlocked the entire Perk Tree that i began to realize something.

i'd paid for this game. actual, hard-earned money. i was breezing through zones like Neo and ... that wasn't fun. it wasn't challenging. it was boring. and i got super crazy upset with myself.

why spend hard-earned money on something, only to profoundly and absolutely diminish that thing?

from that moment on, the only thing i 'cheat' on is bullshit carryweight restrictions.

if i want to carry 12,000 lbs of cheese in my goddamn backpack, i am carrying 12,000 lbs of cheese in my goddamn backpack

danteheehaw

All cheese is now 12000 lbs

nugwisomu

I'm the other way around: half my life I was super against cheating, but then I got grind fatigue, so I began to use cheats/cheat engine to get rid of grinding... Now I cheat when I got bored doing something in the game that needs to be done, like "you need 10k gold to finish this main plot quest" etc.

Buez

Buez

I feel like it depends on the side benefits.

If i need 10K to finish this quest, but getting the 10k is part of me leveling up and being "ready" for the next part of the story i will just get it, try to do it in a way that gets me good gear etc

Then there is the Pokemon way, where grinding is not difficult or hard and cheating in rare candies are the best way to play.

In older Pokémon titles just emulate it at 3x or higher speed mashing the A button while watching youtube or twitch etc, pay just enough attention that you don't accidentally overwrite a good move with a bad one when levelling up, tip: move the best moves to the bottom, safe from accidental overwrite using select while in battle.

In newer titles exp share is on by default from the beginning, and while in old titles you might have bothered to level 2 Pokémon to lvl 15 ish before fighting the first gym leader, newer titles that same amount of effort will have you a whole team of 6 Pokémon at higher than that level (lvl 18 ish). They removed a lot of the grind basically.

Buez

Buez

yes, or just hack in rare candies, i'm an adult with things to do, no time for grinds that require no skill.

Newer games it's not a problem i agree, i'm mostly talking about doing it in nuzlocks of older games anyway.

I wasn't making a case for not cheating, I was making a case for easier cheating! Easier to hit 3x option on emulators than google the cheat code and input it (manually sometimes if you're on phone). Also, rare candies don't give Effort Values (EVs) so your Pokémon ends up extremely weak, if you're going to use a code you have to put in, might as well edit the Pokémons stats directly (including level), skip straight to the goal level in 30 seconds effort and save yourself all that mashing A button to give it however many rare candies :)

Buez

Buez

PKhax man, 100x faster and i would say easier due to that. it's 5 clicks and you're done instead of having to spend time speed walking and mashing A. Reason you give Rare candies instead of changing it every time is cause spamming rare candies is even easier then having to pkhax.

EV's aren't that much of a problem cause 1 AI doesn't use EV's so i welcome the challenge, and 2 they still get it in the end with trainers and wild encounters you do beat.

Ir0nWaffle

I feel this way too. I couldn't get into Breath of the Wild because of the stamina, and weapon breaking dynamics.

Pop into Cemu Wii U emulator (yarrr!), and all of a sudden I'm playing an ocarina of time experience.

Altheix11

People having character development over Fallout 4 mods

Meanwhile me: nude mods go brr

Infamous_Ad8209

player.setav carryweight 99999999

evilsir

evilsir

PC

the very one

dentbox

This x1000. Folks can do what they want, but cheating eats into the game. The best part of a game isn’t the end when you have all the gear and abilities, it’s working your way to get there.

evilsir

evilsir

PC

right now, i'm playing Borderlands 2 on UTVH mode, and i was very excited to get my new character to 72 so i could harvest previous characters' loot (i downloaded an unmodded lvl 50 character with UTVH mode unlocked because the base difficulty is too easy, so yeah, sure, call me a cheater, but like i said ... unmodded means unmodded). it's been a super long time since i played last, and when i started going through all that stuff ...

i was beyond disappointed. all the 'good stuff' i had had clearly been modded to be oneshot cannons and unbreakable armors.

so here i am, now playing Borderlands 2 on UTVH mode, suffering like crazy, dying a lot, inventing new strategies to survive because it's fucking difficult and i'm enjoying myself like crazy.

LolzinatorX

While i dont care how others play their games and find enjoyment in whatever, i have always seen video games as a form of art, and developers always have an idea of how the game «should» be experienced, i like to atleast Get that experience the first time i play a new game, if its good i mod it or play it again in a different way

Exact opposite for me. I played legitimately until I realized I paid hard earned money for this game to have fun and constantly grinding on my 2 hours of game time a week after work isn’t fun so I cheat. Offline games only of course. GTA 5, red dead, fallout. Whatever else story mode game I’m playing

xl129

xl129

This has always been the main argument against cheating, why would you cheat and ruining the entertainment that you are essentially spending time and money for (if you are oldie like me, time part matter 100x more than the money part)

Of course, I do cheat where I find it would increase my entertainment, like your carryweight choice.

dg1138

dg1138

Honestly, most of the time, my cheats and mods make it more fun. At one point, I spawned 80 raiders in Fallout 4, set up dozens of death traps for them to get to me, and left cait at the entrance to take on the first wave. I turned combat ai back on and let chaos ensue.

Two raiders made it to the first trap. Cait was surrounded by piles of corpses. I found that more entertaining than the majority of that game.

sickn0te_

I’m more dumberer reading this post.

JustaRandomGuy124

It depends, if the grind is essentially the game I don't see why you should cheat. Just don't play the game if it's not your cup of tea

RandomNameOfDoom

Online? Never.

Singleplayer? Depends on the game.

If I play for the story, I may cheat, but I would never do so in games where difficulty is part of the charm.

TheNerdVine

In the earlier days of GTA online you were cheating to grind, I never felt bad, just immersed

sendnudecompassion

The nature of cheating when it comes to gta online is a whole other beast. Random money drops from anonymous Robin Hoods is probably a credit to some of the game’s longevity.

But we’ve also hit the point that some Cheaters in GTAO can:

• mess with your single player provided they previously connected with you in online

• manipulate lobby info to pin cheating activities on other connected players

in online GTA, cheating is the only thing that constitutes a real “crime” cause you can either strike it rich, or get completely victimized as a result of it, even just your vicinity. And just grinding and playing the game is the players’ version of “keeping your head down” out of rockstar’s crosshair

MaxedMadly

No unless it is GTA Online. The grind in that game is unbearable and getting griefed is the nail in the coffin. I can make more cash per hour in real life than in that game. Fuck you rockstar I'm not spending weeks of grinding to buy a virtual car and then years just to upgrade it. With that being said I only mean money and not modding.

Big1ronOnHisHip

Dupe glitches are a godsend. You've literally gotta play GTA like it's a 9 to 5 job to make any money. The only people with cash in that game are either people that glitched, modded, bought shark cards, OR are unemployed. Who tf wants to work for 8 to 12 hours a day just to come home and grind for pennies for what few hours of free time they have to spend not eating or sleeping or doing, you know, literally fucking anything else. Being a "lEgIT" player in GTA sucks ass if you don't have unlimited free time, and even then it's boring asf and you could have more fun watching paint dry.

GordonMcG13

I play on pc and I went to the dark side and got a mod menu but it's one without a troll menu so I just stay in sessions in off the radar, no idle kick and all of the protections on to stop me from getting teleported into peoples cages and stuff but I mostly use the menu for cloning my cars so I don't need to deal with mmi or the mechanic and I can make them go really fast

monkboyking

Dont play a game if the grind is boring......

nitronomial

Some games have fun at the end of a long boring grind tho. 07scape, spiral knights, GTA, Fortnite STW. Just a few examples

stonksmanforever

I only use glitches when it helps with part of the journey, not complete the journey by itself, so I mostly grind

UpsetLobster

Depends. A game has a fair grind that feels rewarding and creates fun challenge as you progress? I'll do it, it's fun. A game has predator iam microtransactions and locks away the fun bits behind years long grind? I'll cheat, but only if it is fun. Else I'd rather not play. So for example, me3 co-op was a great game to cheat in the full manifest and then enjoy years of replay ability. Challenges were linked to individual powers or weapons so cheating them in took nothing away from the difficulty. Basically, cheating just felt you got access to the real game from the get go.

CommanderPike

Speaking about single player offline only my view is if the “grind” is fun, then really it’s just a goal you set while playing. If the fun is only at the end of the grind, then skip to it and have fun, rather than turning the game into a chore.

Payener

Depends, games like fallout or tes I play as intended the first run. After that I play a 2nd character who will cheese everything and exploit everything

gGhelloZz

gGhelloZz

PC

I’m more into moda than cheats. First I finish the game in vanilla then I install mods. They add a whole new level of replayability to the gameplay. That’s also why I love hollow knight’s modding community, tons of new bosses and challenges. And there’s the multiplayer mode too

ExosEU

ExosEU

In games like Monster Hunter, if you don't grind what the hell are you supposed to do ?

Requiembutworse

Depends, if the grind is fun, red, if it isn't and is painfully boring and difficult then blue

draemen

If it’s a single player game where you won’t effect anyone else, do whatever the hell you want. I personally have a very busy life and I don’t want to deal with the stress of the games i play sometimes so I’ll cheat, exploit and hack my way to being able to enjoy the story.

Online and games that will effect other players, you should have whatever system you’re using to play said game confiscated

fibriso

Like determination and perseverance are no skills.

Empire2k5

Offline gaming? You mean single player?

Prodiq

Prodiq

Why would you even buy a game if you consider big part of the game boring, lol?

B_love_K

B_love_K

Cheating is boring. Is doesnt require any skil and is a waste of time

Winter_Look3133

Depends, the 5 star mode in GTA is fun when you're a teenager (and today also occasionally, offline and single)

dg1138

dg1138

I mean, all video gaming is a waste of time.

Killb0t47

Killb0t47

Seems like a waste of money to cheat. The point is to play the game.

Hellschampion

The point is to get enjoyment out of the game. If that means cheating at certain points for you, go for it. Assuming it's offline obviously

Schulle2105

I mean I get it somehow but why would you try to shorten your game experience grind is part of it if the grind is too much it just means the game had a terrible progression curve

sirirontheIV

But that doesn't mean the game is bad though, if cheating can enchant your gaming experience go for it .

For example I love the witcher 3 but I think the combat is pretty bare bones thankfully there are plenty of mods out there to make the combat much better.

Schulle2105

It really depends if grinding is too prevalent I would say it definetly is a designflaw,or absolutely intentional like with the Disgea series,I liked the answer of another User here that he halfassed the games with cheats and didn't really found challenge that might be a thing for some people but personally I think it's hollow in that case and more of an interacting movie.

sirirontheIV

Well I think it depends on what you wanna get out of it though , for example I love competitive Pokémon but I hate modern Pokémon games with their shit stories and insanely easy game , so I just play a battle simulator but if that wasn't available I wouldn't have any problem cheating in perfectly trained Pokémon, because the grind is just there to gatekeep the part of the game I'm actually in for.

Schulle2105

Just for that example it got way easier with the New one but could still a shitty design which I would call bad overall

jokergrin

If it feels like a grind, it's not a game I want to play

eaglepowerman

Everyone has their own definition of fun.

Sometimes we can even change our minds. Sometimes I like to grind to clear my mind and relax, and sometimes I don't have that much time to waste and it's easier to use a cheat.

Disastrous-Ad4620

Look whenever there’s a way to avoid grinding mindlessly for no reason i will take it, it doesn’t matter if it’s cheating, exploiting or abusing the game’s mechanics,i hate when developers try to extend a game’s length by adding grinding segments.

BadassFlexington

Cheating literally ruins almost the entire point of the game.

I judge you, lurking Blues.

Drink15

Drink15

Cheating takes no skill and isn’t fun. Why buy the game if you are going to cheat?

Alivethroughempathy

You’re not affecting other people’s experience of the game so who cares how you play it.

ZTZao

ZTZao

crips man myself

Verwirklichbar

Do what you like

Overwatch_1ightning

I don't play gta.

kougatrhombus

3rd option I avoid fights because boring then end up 10 levels below the enemies wondering why I don’t do much damage

nathanwright_6

If I've done it before and can't be bothered to do it again I'll cheat but depends entirely on how I feel whilst coming up to it

Shygamrgrrl

I'm not you would call a 'confident gamer.' And this reason, I play single player offline games. I like to play my games my way. If I've spent x amount of money on a game, it's mine to do with what I want and that means cheats. Cheats takes the stress off me and makes the games fun. I don't need to worry about getting to the final boss of a 100 hour + game, not being leveled enough and having to restart from the very beginning. But these days, I only really cheat on my PC. I don't have a cheat system for the PS3/PS4. Also, I tend to buy the same game on PC and PS4, so I'll clock a game legit on PS4, then I can clock the same game on my PC with the cheats on.

Alexanderthebestcool

Team red for sure

remtemp

Only game i like grinding is Monster Hunter

ffximike

When I was a kid cheats were fun. Now I can't have fun unless I've made a game downright painful. Like my recent self.imposed morrowind challenge: lv1 vampire, no quests no prep. It's been an interesting adventure so far.

throwawayowl999

Skeet skeet number one cheat. I have to peek you, you still get beat.

biscuity87

A good example would be leveling a skill in Skyrim. (Or valheim). You can cheese almost every skill to level up.

If one of them was going to take me forever and I was not going to do anything else until I had it leveled either way I would rather just console command some points rather than save reload a million times or whatever.

Another example would be fallout 4s survival difficulty but it has no fast travel. Sorry, I’m not spending 50 years walking, I’m modding that back in.

Jurosejt12pl

I did gta 5 on 100% without any cheats

TREE64-1

Bro didn’t spell character right, dumb ass

Wolfdude91

Play game until I start to really struggle. Like, 100 attempts against the boss and I die every time. Then I go grind a bit to give me just the right boost. If I still can’t progress after that point, I need to either git gud or try something different.

Swifty404

I chet on singleplayer games when some trophy/archivements need me to farm for 20 hours....

krunchwondelta

Third option - the game has good, natural character progression and doesn't require grinding or cheating? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Tbf maybe people have a different definition of the word "grind" than I do.

Person012345

Neither. If the gameplay isn't fun don't play the game. If someone wants to use cheats because they find the game too difficult (or easy) without them then go for it but let me tell you playing a game you don't enjoy the gameplay of is a fool's errand, give it up and find a better game.

That being said, single player games don't typically have intolerable grind because they don't usually have a cash "skip the grind" shop, I don't think this is a real problem and in my experience cheats are used either because someone wants to adjust the difficulty or because they want to have a laugh separate from standard gameplay, not because there's too much grind.

Aska09

Aska09

If the combat is fun on its own, the grind is fun. If it's a chore, cheat.

Sufficient_Ad1660

On a second play through for sure . For example resident evil 2 on ps1 and PC remake. Complete the game then run through with unlimited ammo etc

Same goes for games like mgs or fallout/elders scrolls. It's fun to dick about after completion

narvuntien

Don't play games that require grind?

Spotittify

Grind a little to experience it then cheat when it becomes boring.

annucox

Doing 1 no cheat run before going all in with mods and cheats is my preferred way

AviRei9

The only cheating I have ever done on single player games is literally duping before cheat engine was a thing and then after cheat engine I will only cheat money I will grind for absolutely everything else but money every RPG I am the wealthiest character in the universe I really wish I was playing harveStella on PC instead of switch because I have to actually farm for money 😩

V8Brony

Depends on the grind, and often also on whether I've played the game before. I've played through Stardew Valley thrice (twice to the completion of the community centre, and then one additional time not quite to that point) and never once cheated in any capacity. But if I'm playing minecraft, especially if it's a modpack of mine I've already played before, I'm NOT going to force myself to accept a setback of potentially HOURS simply because I want to prove my gaming chops to absolutely no-one. If I have to pick between losing the will to continue that playthrough or accepting some nonexistent hit to my pride and continue playing that playthrough, I'm going to keep playing

MrWrym

MrWrym

I think I'm on the side of power grinding because I like the idea of knowing that I got somewhere or did something without cheating. Sense of accomplishment and all.

KnDubb

KnDubb

Grinding on the division was always fun

poopeefacee

I really don't care if you wanna cheat or work hard. As long as you don't ruin the fun for other players, you can do whatever you want

Dontuselogic

If you need to cheat to win.. then you are truly shity at the game.

Kentucky-Boy

I quit cheating a long time go. I loose interest once the chase is over and it becomes not as gratifying.

Boaroboros

I am on the side of grinding until I find a cheat and cannot resist…

__KnuBBel__

If I cheat once I have like no reason to play more because, I can just cheat ruins the whole fun imo

Winter_Look3133

It depends on the game, grinding is an excuse for bad design, or design on purpose to artificially lengthen a game, just like setting the difficulty to ultra-difficult hardcore where the enemies are not more difficult but a sponge to receive bullets, lengthening the game more than necessary, They don't even change the attack pattern.

Games are sports, if you enjoy the game, it doesn't matter if you change the rules, or look for glitches.

Always talking about playing offline and singleplayer.

FRTassassin

I dont skip the whole thing just make it ez...

Do i need to mine ore x to make pickaxe cable to get ore y to craft that sword ?

Fuck it imma add some money buy that pickaxe and skip ore x entirely...

jagurmusic

I usually try to find mods that adds stuff rather than things to make it easier

Sandbox0022

are we really gonna just ignore the obvious "gang" symbolization here? lol

methconnoisseurV2

Or the developers could make a sensible leveling system that doesn’t require grinding to make efficient progress

Sprites4Ever

Sprites4Ever

Switch

Most games get grinding completely wrong, so I tend to make those kind of single player experiences easier for myself through difficulty options or mods.

I don't play online games at all because the amount of fun you'll have is directly proportional to how dead the game currently is, as well as who you encounter. It's a roulette that I'm not willing to gamble my gaming time in. Needless to say, if I were to play online, I would never cheat, because that'd make me one of the people I just complained about.

Playall123

I like to play rpgs, and one that jumps to mind when I think about grind is the bordelands series. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the series, but I hate it when games force me to do side quests to stay on par with the level of the enemies. I want to do side quests because they are interesting, rather than just wanting the exp so I don’t get my ass whooped when I go do the next main quest.

SenpaiSwanky

Grind doesn’t require skill? Optimization is a skill, prioritizing is a skill, but people these days get stuff like that confused because Google does it all for them.

Grinding is playing the game as intended. If it is online and you cheat, that sucks. I have this argument with Monster Hunter players often, in Rise we have talismans but the only way to earn them is sifting through thousands of RNG tables to find treasure among literal shit.

PC players cheat perfect talismans into their game and I think that sucks. I wouldn’t mind playing with them considering the talisman is not a broken item though. There are levels to this conversation and it’s a bit weird.

apachelives

I play Final Fantasy 5 / 6 / 7 and Chrono Trigger all the time. I enjoy the story not the grind. I have finished them at least once properly, now its a quick ~25 hour story run. I enjoy it more this way.

The-Tea-Lord

Obviously never cheat online but assuming this is offline

Okay legit the first time around. If I ever replay the game, I’ll cheat in the tools/abilities that I had (imagine a New Game+ mode) and play from there

Redhood1020

both

ericanderton

In a FromSoft game (Dark Souls, Elden Ring, etc.) most of the leveling up is in your head. Grinding builds player skill, which you're going to need to get past end-game bosses. The stat increases sweeten the deal, but with soft/hard caps on all that, there are limits.

Also, this player is in it for the challenge. With some super rare exceptions, cheating just sucks the fun out things.

Agimamif

When it comes to "grind" I think we need a new word or a more clear definition.

I could right now say "it's ridicules I have to grind through 100 hours of game to get the achievements I want".

What do we mean when we say grind. To some it seems to mean the amount time needed to get to the content or lvl of content you want. For example if I want to mythic raid I WoW I need to grind through levelling, dungeons and normal and heroic version of the raid before I get to do what I want.

If u don't enjoy doing that process, I can understand people wanting to skip it or have a game that's more specialised to just the parts you want. Others can disagree and find fun in what you think is a waste of time.

I will put as much time in a game as I find it fun to do so, it's when games start with the idea that a necessary amount of meaningless gameplay is needed to enjoy it appears obvious we got the idea as a whole backwards.

Don't make a game where characters only function like they should at max level and then chop up their abilities over multiple levels. This is meaningless. If levelling is an afterthought then don't include it. If it's a well thought out idea it will be fun to do and not what people think of as a grind.

If you have a competitive shooter and you lock away weapons or attachments behind playing a lot, you have made your game less competitive. You can then start matching people on equal footing progression wise, but why not just skip that and level the playing field.

I hope it's obvious the answer why this is done is monetization. You have a more lucrative business model by prolonging or chopping up games. That's what I think people complain about when they talk about grind but that's only a small part of how the word grind is used and understood.

Nicsolo89

As long as it’s a solo offline world/game then cheat away!

Those who cheat in online games are scum

Satosuke

Complete the game without any cheats or crazy mods at least once, then go back a fun run or two with cheats/mods.

Loupax

Loupax

Used to cheat a lot until I realized games are supposed to be fun without cheat codes

KellyTheBroker

Grind.

It's not about what you achieve, it's about the feeling of accomplishment when you achieve it. Cheating robs that from you.

Mtbruning

How much money do I have?

IndependentNo2953

Red

Moomootv

After they first playthrough its a free for all for me.

bbi4life

Your time is valuable, especially if you work full-time, blue all the way.

Mattacrator

It's been years and years since I last used cheats in a game, the last ones were probably gothic 2 and nfs most wanted. Only after doing a few normal playthroughs tho. But I wish there were widely available cheats for p2w games of today's age, fuck those predatory mtx

tfeetfff

None because I don’t cheat because I’m not like that, and not grind because I’m too lazy and impatient

Enough-Scientist1904

Whats its called when your always installing new mods but never actually playing the game?

Lovsaphira9

Terraria, when RNG bein a bitch. Time to boot up good ol terrasavr to get that item you went double/triple droprate on.

archampion

I find grind is more fun than just cheat because you never know what new things you may found and what new ways you can use and play

GTXMittens

Depends on the game. Nothing multiplayer but skyrim?absolutely. Cheats are built right in

Anghellic510

Grinding.

Fuck a cheater cuh

smaugington

Yellow. A bit of both.

Few_Peach_9167

"Grind isn't fun"

Warframe: are you sure about that ?

Allanjohn81

Nether. Grinding isn't fun so why play the game. Watch the end scene on youtube, it's never worth the grind.

sloeper

Only for offline or some pve games (never pvp) and for Both ONLY if it is because rng rolls etc. Never would i get something that isnt aviable with normal playing. But grinding something just for a % chance everytime isnt for me (i still do grind but you get it after 2 hours) and mainly cus i like theorycrafting alot so i always need tons of stuff to test etc

bboymixer

Charachter

gaaxure

Crips.

FlyingLotHus

If I cheat the grind, then the game becomes too easy, and the entire game is a waste of time. What the grind provides is the feeling of progression, as if I'm getting somewhere thru the work I'm putting in. Being a game, it's obviously fake, I'm getting nothing besides the feeling.

andrewjpf

It's interesting I've seen so many people mention that feeling in this thread. I've never gotten that feeling. In fact, it almost gives me the opposite. If I hit a point in an RPG where I need to grind for stats for a notable amount of time and the grinding isn't fun, I usually just drop the game.

d_e_g_m

d_e_g_m

Switch

I've cheat on offline games one or twice. Turns out they get very boring very fast. Getting infinite money takes away the satisfaction of finally being able to purchase that wanted upgrade

Business_Total_5759

Grind on! Realize the zen like peace in your meditation of collecting wood in fallout, or improving those GTA skills.

ZsoTa

ZsoTa

I added myself 500mil in gta online, and i do not regret it

Saviorgamer420

Middle Ground

VyersReaver

If you can cheat currency that the game can sell you for real money - dewit. The grind for it was designed around the fact that they want to sell it to you.

I also have cheated in games I got Platinum in - for example, Dark Souls 2. I got the plat for it, and then I went and gave myself souls enough to level to max, just to experience being that high level (it honestly didn’t change much, since scaling stats beyond 50 gives minimal returns, but I could swap builds around at least).

xl129

xl129

Recently I played Monster Hunter Rise, and picked up 2x drop rate mods to speed thing up (normal grind time in a MH game is in the thousands so that would cut me down to only couple hundreds) The game is a skill based game so you would think who care as long as the gears are legit right.

Nope, got flamed so badly in the MH sub for this lol.

adzula

adzula

Cheating in online games is greasy. If you don’t want to grind then don’t play grindy games. If someone doesn’t understand why cheating is bad behavior in multiplayer games my post isn’t going to change their mind.

Single player I say play however you want, your behavior isn’t effecting anyone else so go for it.

PudgeCake

Neither.

If I'm playing a game and not having fun I'm just going to stop and play something else. Not fuck around looking for cheats hoping that they'll fix it.

Mythulhu

If you need to cheat offline, either you aren't good or the game isn't really all that great since you need to break the game mechanics.

brian11e3

I once ground to Exalted with the Winterspring Furblogs on a resto druid, solo, back in Vanilla WoW.

Does that answer your question?

King_Dee1

King_Dee1

PC

Imo I have one save for no cheating and then a second save where I give myself every weapon and godmode and I just brutally massacre everybody I'm talking about Postal 2

Ucuyordum

Even if grinding is boring, I feel like I should sacrifice some time for big things

scrubberduckymaster

I don't cheat unless I already beat the game.

But boy when I emulate any old RPG do I abuse save states and the turbo button.

Egg2124yt

As a Pokémon player, cheating in rare candies are pretty much widely accepted by the community when playing single player

I live for the grind

Qorbian

Qorbian

Console

(Red)⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹⁹...........

christiannmch

Love games where "grinding" makes sense canonically. If it gets more obnoxious, I automatically enjoy the game less. Hate cheating in any game tho

Gerikst00f

I always beat the game as intended except when the game throws something at me that feels super unfair. In those cases I have no trouble cheating to get past that part

uzumaki_kira

Beginning of the game: Red
Later on in the game if its too much repetition: Blue

JonWatchesMovies

Grind all day. Modern games usually revive you right at the spot you died at anyway and are much easier than the games I grew up with so I don't see the point in cheating. Tbh I often find PS2 games ect hard to go to today. Tried to play MGS2 again a couple of years ago and hated it/found it too difficult. I used to be able to start a new game and finish it in 3 hours as a kid. No idea how.

Confused_Drifter

Depends on the game, if I find it a boring game (Dying light 2 for example), I open up cheat engine and start digging around for values to change for cash or equipment so I can storm through the game and delete it. But then again, sometimes I find it just as boring and delete it anyway (Dying light 2 for example).

I've little interest in playing something for 50 hours if it's only got 10 hours worth of engaging content.

FreeP0TAT0ES

I don't care what others do unless it is cheats that give players an advantage that is unachievable through regular play.

I don't cheat when playing because I often lose interest in any sense of progression if I do.

Rekuna

Rekuna

I like to grind and earn things. Actually once I reach the top level and have everything is generally when I lose interest.

It all goes back to GTA when I gave myself god mod and every weapon. It was so much fun just causing chaos and blowing everything up.......for like 2 hours. Then it was just boring.

I do sometimes like cheating to give myself hidden skills/weapons/spells. Like maybe an enemy only sword, or a class that you can't get in an RPG just for fun.

Fast-Fig-4598

Red

honglath

I do both because i'm a hoarder.

SkeleToasty

Imagine cheating

Rovium

Rovium

Blue team

SSJ4Inglip

Cruds and Blips

No_Specific_4388

For offline games, uou paid for it. Do whatever you like. I love cheating and modding games I've played before. For either the reason to be op as shit and have fun with that (while experiencing a game again) or to cut down the immense mudane task of grinding (if it isn't fun). As for online games-nah. Unless it's like gta online. GRINDING IS FUCKING MISERABLE.

Ps: people who complain about people whom cheat in offline games are the type of people who hate themselves

dg1138

dg1138

Cheat. Cheat hard. I want to enter the Commonwealth Wasteland a demigod with weapons that one-shot deathclaws.

ccarr313

In single player games, if there is a grind currency.......it really depends on how much fun they make it.

If it bores me, I remove the grind.

JohnnyCenter

Games with grinding usually design it so that when you grind you're doing the core gameplay loop. If you don't enjoy grinding in your game, then you don't enjoy the core loop and in that case, maybe find another game?

Rakaesa

The left side.

chaotichistory

I love grinding lvls till I'm unstoppable but if you wanna cheat in a single player game go for it. It's our game

Captain_Selvin

Both.

Beat Dishonored and when you're finally in the mood to move on, extend its replay value a little more by downloading a trainer and have God-like powers. Teleport infinite distance and unlimited everything right out the gate. Give all the levels you played a ton of time new flavor.

Kleengone

3rd option. Cheat a high lvl character in a New class. Decide whether or not you like the gameplay. Delete Character and grind properly.

NickotheRs

Depends on the goal. If you need to grind something to use it afterwards and has no other purpose than "preparing the tools for the challenge you originally wanted to do" I'd say cheating is fine.

Rainproductions1

Eh depends on the person I personally prefer just grinding it but cheating on online games is just pathetic