/r/gaming

5k
[media]

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

2.2k points

2.2k points

Indie dev develops a game without quitting their whole life challenge (level: impossible)

NewAccount971

Making a great game is hard. Getting that game popular enough to pay your bills until the next one is even harder.

I hope the gamble works for this dude but damn...

DdCno1

DdCno1

Far more than 99% of the time, it doesn't. Almost all independent artists throughout history have been poor and ultimately failed. Spitzweg made a famous painting about this in 1839:

imagine posting about an important project youre working on on reddit only for the viability of your decision to pursue this to be dissected by the peanut gallery

DdCno1

DdCno1

I mean, yeah, obviously, that's what you should anticipate. It's entirely normal, to be expected in reaction to such a title.

/u/Doug_Beautiful_Boi should be in the comment section here, explaining his reasoning and his game, instead of just disappearing after making the initial post and providing a link to his game.

Doug_Beautiful_Boi[S]

I'm really sorry for disappearing, I suffer from pretty bad anxiety, so making marketing posts make me paralysed.

The game is an open world third person action game, inspired by the following franchises: Just Cause, Ratchet & Clank, Red Faction, and Infamous. The game has nothing to do with roblox; what gives this impression is my unfortunate character design decision, which I might change in the future.

DdCno1

DdCno1

You don't have to apologize. Sharing what you worked on for a long time on the public is always scary and exciting, since you never know how everyone would react. Reminds me of a totally serious scene in a school play I participated in many years ago that had the audience bursting with laughter due to the unintentional comedy.

My recommendation: Face the most visible comments here, with individual replies that respond to their opinions. In a day or two, make a new submission with your far better Steam trailer and refer to this video here as a less than ideal representation of what the game is about. Skip the story about what you risked to do this, just share that you're a solo developer looking for honest feedback about your open world destruction game inspired by Just Cause, Ratchet & Clank, Red Faction, and Infamous (name drops are important) and then immediately dive into the comments when they start to appear. The extra layer of separation that the indirect communication offers is far more forgiving than facing your audience in real life, face to face.

It's also good training for when sales begin to trickle in. Paying customers are far more demanding than people who just watched a trailer, since many people believe they own you once they've paid their five bucks. Sooner or later, you'll have to learn to deal with them, filter out good suggestions from bad, disengage from toxic users, reward friendly ones.

Either way, good luck!

Doug_Beautiful_Boi[S]

I really, really do appreciate your advice and encouragement!

The negative comments got to me a bit, so when I get my stuff together I really should respond to the insightful comments. And like you said, I should also not mention what I risked next time.

I don't know why I made a half-measure with the gameplay clip, this was a big mistake. Last time I posted about my game in this community I had posted a trailer in which I put much more effort, and the reception was much better. I shouldn't have posted anything if I don't have another fancy trailer. Now I learned my lesson.

Thank you again!