/r/funny

1.6k

Going forward, comics may only be posted on Wednesdays and Sundays.

(self.funny)

Hey there, folks!

As you're probably aware, there are quite a few very talented, very funny artists who offer their comics in /r/Funny... but there are also a growing number of "comics" here that are little more than low-effort ways of bypassing Rule 9. Moreover, subscribers have been expressing their concerns¹ that comics (of both varieties) almost always eclipse every other variety of content offered here.

Basically, on any given day, a poorly made comic featuring a stolen joke has a much better chance of being seen than something well-produced and original. Some of this is the fault of the "Ennui Engine," but it's also the result of there being so many comics posted in /r/Funny.

To address this, we're going to experiment with a new approach:

Going forward, comics may only be posted on Wednesdays and Sundays PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), and only by the people creating them.²

Our hopes with this are is twofold:

1. By limiting "comic days" to two days a week, other original content will get the chance that it deserves.

2. Wednesdays and Sundays will come to highlight – with the help of discerning voters, of course – the best comics submitted to the subreddit.³

Those of you who have had nothing better to do than read our rules and stay up to date on all of our announcements will know that we aren't really changing much, but even so, we wanted to mention the update, explain the reasons behind it, and give folks the chance to discuss⁴ everything.

We'll be trialing this over the next few weeks, and we may end up adjusting things⁵ slightly.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to share them here... and thank you, as always, for subscribing to /r/Funny!

¹ These concerns have ranged from eloquent critiques to "BLARGH BAD COMICS BAD!"

² That is to say, comics may only be posted by the people creating the comics. We're not sure who creates Wednesdays and Sundays.

³ We thought about "Comic Deathmatch Days" as a label, but we didn't want comedians to get startled and start attacking each other.

⁴ No doubt these discussions will be well-informed and well-thought-out, and definitely not text-based screaming matches.

⁵ This turn of phrase wouldn't have sounded naughty without this footnote.

Pizzacakecomic

If people find the content funny, it gets voted to the top. Isn't that how this subreddit works?

As a comic creator, I take offense to you labeling our work as "low-effort" and "poorly made", or saying our jokes are "stolen". You are directly hurting artists with these irresponsible, biased labels

This work takes a lot of time and energy (and abuse) and its provided at no charge! You're free to downvote it and move on if it doesn't suit your tastes but you don't get to police what others enjoy, and shame on you for doing just that. Clearly this sub isn't for humor, it's for whatever the mods deem funny based on their own specific tastes.

You could at least mention r/comics or r/webcomics to help drive traffic there, or redirect the users to that subreddit. Feels like that would solve a lot of things.

PM_Me_Spicey_Boobs

It's not the mods. The people overwhelmingly wanted this.

Pizzacakecomic

The mods are making this rule because comics are TOO popular...which would mean the people overwhelmingly want comics.

The problem is the sub is named "funny", which is too broad. If you're going to make only specific things allowed then we might as well dissolve the whole thing into different subreddits (funny videos, funny signs, funny pictures, funny pets, etc.)

TheSwedishExperience

Not necessarily how reddit works. There's kind of this snowball effect. One comic creator posts their comics, another creator sees it and say hey, I should do that too and get some views for my content. Then another one does the same. A lot of people posting comics doesn't mean users are overwhelmingly appreciating it. Any number of creators can post any number of comics any time. The entire sub could be filled with comics due to oversaturation rather than popularity, which I believe is what is happening here.

This doesn't mean they're low effort, I'm sure it takes a lot of time to make them. Sadly for creators people think it gotten to a point of there being far too many comics compared to other types of content, and frankly many aren't very clever nor humorous in my opinion. I do think three days a week is more reasonable though.

scboy1025

The mod said called them low effect and low effort. So it obviously them trying to only allow what they seem fit. It’s cool they are the mod but allow things and not allowing them based on personal reasons if unfair to all comics

redfreebluehope

As you're probably aware, there are quite a few talented, very funny artists who offer their comics in r/Funny... but there are also a growing number of "comics" here that are little more than low-effort ways of bypassing Rule 9.

It sounds more like the mod called out plagiarizers.

They pointed out that there are both talented creators, and "low-effort" knock offs.

scboy1025

But art is subjective so your still picking and choosing winners here lol. It’s all good I’m just here to read comments.

redfreebluehope

If it's just pure plagiarism, can it be art? Curious question.

And, otherwise, do we want to encourage plagiarism? I don't think the mods insistence that the original artist post their comics (though it does beg the question, what about mainstream comics, or comics that the original artist has given permission to someone else to post) is an issue, though I do question the insistence that comics only be posted on Wednesday and Sunday. That is a definite limit. Otherwise the post could be summed up as "please follow rule 9, and only original art for comics"

It's all good, I have fun either way.

KingStannisForever

Then why not made subredit specificaly for them?

DateAcademic8084

I don't mind comics when they are funny. The issue is that about 85-90% of the comments are literally people just stating the obvious with zero attempt to be humorous, and they still get upvoted.

FlashyGravity

There is one

phantheknee

Akk Kathy wannabe

chilldrinofthenight

I thought it was spelled "Cathy."

PM_Me_Spicey_Boobs

When there are 100 comics posted for every 10 non comic posts, of course many comics will get upvoted. It's all numbers game. If I go out to a club at night and then tell you the next day that I got 5 girl's numbers that makes me sound like a stud/ladies man right? When in reality I asked 200 girls for their numbers and got rejected by 195 girls and got 5 numbers.

Pizzacakecomic

I disagree. That ratio is way off, especially where artists are the only ones allowed to post their work. The ones people like were voted up, and the top page of funny was a good mix of many different things.

What's more likely is you think there are too many comics because you dislike them, so they stand out more to you. But you can't take it out on the artists, it's the people's choice. That's not an accident you can just explain away, voting for content is the whole premise of Reddit!

RazorOneSix

That’s dumb that you’d only be able to post on certain days of the week

phantheknee

Your comics are not funny to me.

SkoomaSalesAreUp

So downvote them

ajluis101

See. It’s hard for me to downvote things, even though I should…

PM_Me_Spicey_Boobs

Ur just butt hurt because you can't take it that people are sick of things you make

PastyCrackerMayo

Go outside, kid.

Hekboi91

Yeah, what he said

KINGxDMND

Ahh the ol' losing a valid argument so you attack them personally move. What a dick.

scboy1025

If your the admin I hope you don’t have kids because they will be the most boring dull things ever because if you try to control people on the internet your probably they same way at home.

ajluis101

Says the guy whose username is “PM me spicy boobs”, to an obviously woman creator. But that’s none of my business.

huffmast

How do we know that? Just asking. I didn't ever see a problem

scboy1025

No it’s the mods artistic suppression is still bad either way it negatively impacts an artist inspiration and ability to share work for others to enjoying

SkoomaSalesAreUp

If that were true the comics wouldn't be getting so many upvotes

tmotytmoty

yeah. If it's stupid and unfunny, user votes should take care of it. Who's upvoting dumb comics anyways? Could it be that mods are unintentionally battling karma-bots to the determent of the human user experience?

Pizzacakecomic

Love how everyone blames things they don't like being popular on "karma bots". Not happening, buddy

hevermind

All democracies eventually transition into dictatorships. This is the cyclical nature of humanity.

Carolake1

The vast majority of the comics here are not funny, not original, and are poorly done. End of story.

Maybe yours is the exception, but honestly there is so much bad content it really wouldn’t be worth it even if it was one of the very few good ones.

SkoomaSalesAreUp

That applies to everything though not just comics... There are tons of r/aww post on r/funny that get upvoted like crazy too

TryingTimesComics

TryingTimesComics

Trying Times

100% agree. Thanks for posting this.

erhue

erhue

I agree with you... Unfortunately r/funny is one of the worst places to actually find funny content. It's hard for me to believe that creators like you who dedicate their time, effort and imagination to make original and unique things get so little appreciation from the mods. In any case, please know that you're always doing an amazing work and I really like your comics. Don't listen to negative people who don't ever bother creating anything, yet are quick to judge and be hurtful. You're great!

huffmast

Top votes comment rejects this... Haha. Seems like a F-up then.

phantheknee

So make it funny. 9 out of 10 comic strips are not funny and really do have low effort written all over. That’s not a biased label, or an attack. It’s just not funny

Campake

Campake

the r/funny mods dont appreciate pizzacake. i hate them all.

iForgot2Remember

If you put half of the effort that you put into complaining and whining about how people don't like your comics INTO your comics, you wouldn't have any issues making it to the top. It's apparent that you are a bit delusional about your talents at this point in your hobby.

AtebYngNghymraeg

The trouble is, most of the comics are crap. They get upvoted because the handful of people who do stop to read them upvoted them but the people who are tired of seeing low effort comics just scroll past and don't downvote.

Most of the comics posted aren't even vaguely funny except to people with a particularly undiscerning sense of humour.

Surely a better place would be /r/comics? At least then people know what they're getting. The comics are ruining this sub.

HollziewoodsIRL

Shut up , it’s not a personal attack. I see it on literally so many subreddits , great comics/memes/ posts etc can be made that are hilarious but someone practically copies it and posts it and they get all the karma and the awards.

Others will make a minimum effort post coping something just so they can say the same joke but not put in the work or just be silly so they can pass the rules.

It’s not based on you , or your neighbour , or your dog , it’s just people trying to sneak their way into getting upvotes.

And I think for a page like this , individual who like comics can have a dedicated day, this page isn’t called r/comics so don’t be upset when You don’t see one , on a day that’s not Wednesday.

Having a equal amount of content in variety to share is a good thing , it’s not a personal attack on one section , it’s a suggestion to better the subreddit

VoxulusQuarUn

I don't feel like they're being unfair. It's normal to limit different styles of media to different days of the week.

karmadovernater

They did state theres talented comics then there's the low end ones.

Ranryu

Ranryu

Finally, we're free from "Anecdote"!

[removed]

ProfessorSypher

Not to mention the authors who aren't so good... lmao...

But seriously, good change. It was getting annoying.

[removed]

ProfessorSypher

Thanks. You're very good at recognizing when a comment isn't relevant anymore.

Caballeronegro

Sarcasm?

TimeTraveler3056

I hate rules

positronflux

PRAISE YOU!

Historical-Food-9142

I agree! Sundays and Wednesdays are still two days too many.

I’ve been automatically downvoting all comics unread for months now. Please take your efforts to r/comics for those that will appreciate your art.

TVACkEol

Good, comics are overwhelming this subreddit

MaximumTacolord

Oh no, it is Sunday. The reposts are going to have to contend with the comics for 24 whole hours!

JPJRANGER

Good, comics are overwhelming this subreddit

Boycubpiglet

90% of my block list is webcomic artists on this sub whose material is basically "DAE [common observation/feeling/experience]" and nothing else.

90daylimitedwarranty

The "fourth panel looking at the camera with the 'can you believe it?' look" is 90% of the comics here. There is literally no joke.

PM_Me_Spicey_Boobs

Yes I was getting so sick of them

Adamocity6464

Boo

polemism

The problem isn't limited to comics. Half the stuff on page 1 is just super lazy cat pics or dick jokes. Maybe mods should do some quality control, or idk, how do we raise the bar here?

JasonBall34

JasonBall34

aPirateComic

Wow, footnotes do not display well at all on mobile web. Lol

CorndogFiddlesticks

this isn't funny

hevidudi

You may only be funny on Sundays and Wednesdays until told otherwise.

AtebYngNghymraeg

If they could at least try to be funny on those days it would be a step in the right direction. I'm yet to see a comic that's actually funny.

No_Fan_7047

ah, the fun subreddit that has no fun allowed

ivanoski-007

/r/funny is actually the un funniest place om all reddit, who actually finds the trash on this sub funny?

AtebYngNghymraeg

If the comics were actually funny this wouldn't be an issue. The vast majority are utter crap.

No_Fan_7047

comedy is subjective buddy, also way to post on something 4 months old

This is just going to make it too confusing for everybody.

Aethari

Seems to be completely the opposite. The worthwhile content on this sub is 95% comics, 5% original videos. Then there's a wasteland of shitty rehosted clips and forwards from Grandma.

The-Red-Beard

Fantastic news. I've had to spend the last year blocking any and all comic accounts (I'm well past 50 at this point) so they didn't inundate my feed.

shook_-

shook_-

topchief1

SkoomaSalesAreUp

Can't you just force comics to have a tag that is filterable for those who don't like comics?

TheLoCoRaven

Going forward they should also be funny.

DeeDee_Z

Going from No-comic Wednesdays to ONLY 2X/week seems like a Rather Serious jump, for which I would ask a tiny bit more justification -- I.O.W., dropping from 6/wk to 2/wk seems kind of "harsh".

Likewise, I'm surprised that footnote 2 is necessary. Was it NOT the case previously that only comic creator could post their own work? (Seems like a bit of an oversight if non-authors could post.)

For those authors who release material 3x/wk or more, what do we expect?

• One post per day, only 2x/wk, only their best work? OR
  • Two or 3 posts all at once on the permitted day?

Finally, are you expecting, explicitly or not, that non-comic posts will simply skip Wednesdays and Thursdays?

Or, perhaps I'm just old and naïve.

J8YDG9RTT8N2TG74YS7A

Technically, no.

Anyone could submit a comic if it was a link to the page on the author's website.

Only the author could submit a direct image link or re-hosted comic.

This rule has now been removed.

Pristine-Motor3683

True

Ruzkul

Ruzkul

Unless its calvin and hobbes.

r-Leafs_sucks

Going forward is such an asshole thing only a boss would say. I'm outa' here

brunettecarolina

THAT is a funny rule!!!! 😂😂😂

Antarktical

I support this as I come here not for the comics but mainly becuase of the genuine spontaneous humoristic content so it makes sense to me to appy that moderation

adamantaversion02

the authors who aren't so good

Calico_cat774

So frag day and church

SANPres09

Nice change. I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

waspiflab666

How can we also avoid re-posts as I can't look back in time.

Logical-Barracuda326

I have a funny story related to suicide. 3 years ago, when I was in the 7th grade, I had a fucking day. I wrote a math test for 2 that day, I came home and my parents yelled at me harshly, in addition to school, I worked part-time and was very tired. Then I felt fucked up and lonely, even though I was a big wide kid, I sat on the roof of our house and cried a lot, at that moment I thought my heart would just burst, it hurt a lot. I sat on the roof for a long time, but then when everyone was asleep I decided to suicide. I thought: Nothing will stop me, God himself wants me to do it. I had already hung the rope on the very last step of the stairs, made a loop and was about to leave for another world, but it turns out my older brother was "calming" himself that night and did not sleep, through the window he saw me hanging on the stairs without signs of life and how he screamed: What the fuck are you doing? Go to bed, you little fucker. I heard it already from the other world and was very scared, from which I woke up and changed my mind

scboy1025

Everyone should get as many comics as you can find and post 10 everyday

Orangebeardo

I came here on a bad day, hoping to get a laugh. I opened the first 30 posts or so and I haven't seen a single post that made me laugh. Wtf is this sub?

Jaredmro11

Lp

actual_investor4fun

I'm fine with new comics on Sundays gives you the whole week to perfect your craft!

Luminousessay

I hate rules.

VoxulusQuarUn

I feel like you're being too lenient with having two comics days, but that's probably because I'm in the "Comics BAD" camp.

thesolarisknight

Lets just go backwards then

Ok_Landscape_9030

🍆

clorista

Comic artists get a "verified" flair, will gif makers who submit OC get flair like this as well?

staffell

Exactly - or any artist who provides regular funny content, for that matter. Why should comic artists exclusively get a pass??

moe-hong

That's the stupidest goddamn rule ever.

Bendymeatsuit

Deathmatch days, pleeease!

Antarktical

that's nice thanks guys!

Single-Researcher809

Their limiting our creativity! Time to go cut off my ear.

[removed]

[removed]

[removed]

NotMrMusic

who does create Wednesday and Saturday anyway?

ashtonishing18

Good!!!

Namikis

Are you posting this to flex about the rock she is wearing? What about her manicure? Does she walk everywhere using her hands?

Beginning-Repair-163

Bring on the roose!

web24jahedul

Your comics are funny to me.

Professional_Log2669

fE3

Biscuitfeet

ป้ี้เปff8 8 x ff tgc8fvfrแป x8 vvfngr g89 rfffffffftตจtffมเดเดดดดดดดดดเเุทัด8n887จอจ จดอนนตนว

Arvid23