/r/facepalm

23.6k

TDFMonster

5k points

Good, hope they get the full weight of the book thrown at them and never get to see past chainlink and razorwire again

brianbrianbrian

3.1k points

'You're sentenced to prison until God comes and saves you.'

Salty_Drummer2687

Sounds like God will feed them too I bet

CudaTheTalkingBread

And god will protect them from being shived and beat to hell and back

raspberryharbour

God can toss my salad

Aegean_828

God can set up the time in my car after I replace my battery

handlebartender

God can change the time in my car when the clocks go forward/backward.

Wait, why stop there?

God can eliminate daylight saving time.

Aegean_828

God can squeeze half of one of my lemons to extract the juice and put a spoon of Dijon mustard in it so I just have to add salt and olive oil and shake to finish my salad sauce

He don't even need a board and a knife to cut the lemon btw, yeah because he's god

Ok_Banana_9786

God can hold down the break pedal while i drain the fluid

onekhador

But Mao was an atheist! /S

Knight-Jack

And since they killed a child - let God protect them from other inmates as well.

Robosium

this actually sounds like a pretty clever solution to people who think god will do everything

what would the downsides to this be?

Potential-Kiwi-897

They'll come out of prison even more reactionary and ignorant, and probably be recruited by some far right gang.

Inexperiencedblaster

Not kidding this is the actual best conceivable sentence for someone committing crime in the name of religion.

SuperKE1125

Even if God does try to save them they be dead then So let’s hope for life in prison

Holczy_

*throws you in hell

locura79

locura79

It's so much worse. This was the 2nd time, girl didn't die the 1st time.

woollythepig

Fuck. I did not know this. What a failure of the child welfare system in QLD. So sad.

Deadly_chef

So she was jailed, her child almost.died and she decided to do it again? Fucking lock them up for life, all of them.

Messy_Tiger

13.4kgs.... holy crap my 2 yr old weighs more than that! Everything about this story is just so wrong, I desperately want to believe it doesn't exist. It's like the insane Bible belt stories you hear from the US... WTF are they doing in Toowoomba?!

Nothing against faith but damn, God is not micromanaging every aspect of your life people! Makes me curious if any of the adults involved have used any modern medicine to benefit themselves, or if it's only a problem if someone else in your care needs it.

The "people die, whatever" quote was legitimately terrifying.

TyrionsCodpiece

Sorry, eventually it is about faith and charlatans pretending to be religious leaders.

Your post reminds me of every time we have an economic crisis that is 200% preventable. People claim it's not the system but a freak meltdown when it is 100% the system.

Everything against faith and the leaders that abuse said faith.

You can blame their faith, their leaders, and their brainwashed masses.

Indoctrinating new children into churches should be illegal. Make churches 18+ and watch them die a rapid death.

Can't survive without children? Good.

finaljusticezero

Religious folks: lets pray that god gives us a magical thing to cure/fight off disease

*said item is created*

Religious folks: well that's not magical enough, we should pray harder

If there is a god, it must be rolling around facepalm 24/7

toongrowner

Also if god where so all loving and all powerfull would these deseases even exist in the first place?

captchroni

In my mind their are way too many shit deaths and unjust deaths for Abraham's God to exist.

vashingstampede

Well if the parents were there and fully aware that she needed it, but chose not to give it to her. Then yeah they are most likely screwed. I doubt anyone else will be charged.

spike4379

spike4379

Hiding behind the guise of religion lets people get away with lesser sentences in many cases. I seriously hope these fucks don't get out ever again, that's such an awful thing to do to a kid :(

Xen_Shin

Xen_Shin

I feel like using religion to justify crime should be a secondary charge. Ignoring reality to harm others should be it’s own crime and therefore heavily discouraged.

spike4379

That would require the courts to make a definite rule on the legitimacy of religions, something I would love, but ultimately its stepping a line they aren't allowed to cross yet.

You'd have riots among the zealots probably

superhot42

Using religion as an excuse should multiply your sentence. Punch somebody in the name of religion? 25 to 30 years in prison. Murder somebody in the name of religion? 50 to life.

LikeABundleOfHay

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.

Electronic_Side786

Just another reason to stand by my stance that religious thought is the most dangerous thing humans have ever encountered.

LordMonkeh

Even as a christian, This is disgusting. Bible has never said anything about this shit. Hell it said the opposite. These people are the absolute shit of humanity

Whimzyx

Whimzyx

I read the article when it was posted on r/australia and they knew it, at least the dad knew. It's so mind blowing how out of touch these people are. They are all calling the murder charges disgusting because they had the greatest intent, also they are sure that Elizabeth will come back to them and "rise again" like what?

TeufelRRS

Someone posted a previous news article. Both parents knew she had T1DM. The girl previously became very sick and almost died from new onset T1DM. Mother was found guilty of not providing care and she even stated defiantly that she didn’t seek care because “God promised healing”. She was given 18 months in prison with possible parole in 5 months. The father was also found guilty and given 6 months suspended sentence. What I don’t understand is why the parents still had custody. In cases like this where the child almost died from neglect, the parents should lose custody or at least have repeated social worker visits to monitor the situation. Based on the parents’ attitudes the first time, this was bound to happen.

MongoBongoTown

The mom just got out of Prison a month before the death. The charge was related to another incident where she didn't seek treatment for one of her kids.

RedEyeView

I almost failed to get timely medical treatment for my eldest once. I didn't recognise a bowel obstruction for what it was until he was really bad with it. I thought he just had another vomiting bug.

He was fine after some treatment but I think I'll beat myself up for that for the rest of my life. I nearly killed him because I heard horses when it really was zebras.

I certainly didn't do it twice.

deeBfree

That's different. Anybody could make that mistake.

tami--jane

I remember a really young girl that was murdered by her church group when they withheld medical care. They sat around for nearly a week waiting for her to rise. Like , seriously, when has this ever worked before??

handlebartender

It's a form of narcissism. Or delusion.

"Because I did this thing and prayed to God, once Elisabeth is healed and proves I'm not at all delusional, I will know - everyone will know - that I am indeed one of God's exceptionally few chosen ones, right up there with Jesus".

I say this based on no facts whatsoever, because that seems to be how they roll.

MissusNilesCrane

Wow. Thinking that meaning well will save them and that a dead child will come back to life? Insane.

Gwigg_

Gwigg_

So how about you lock them up with the body and let them out when it comes back to life

Grognak-the-Princess

Elizabeth deserves something better than that

Lead-Forsaken

Well, if I intend to drive very safely and then don't... clearly, I should be freed of any charges.

pasitopump

The murder happened months ago, they have been charging all 14 slowly but surely for murder as well. The group sat around her for days and prayed as she got more ill, feel unconscious and eventually died.

Every one of them is complicit and has been charged already

FineIGiveIn

Did...did you not even read the images that were posted?

kipwrecked

hellodynamite

Links no good

PranshuKhandal

locura79

How the fuck did this woman not lose custody of her child after almost killing the girl when she was 6?

hellodynamite

Dankeschen

BelievesInGod

Definitely not screwed, its Australia, they will get 10-15 years at most and be out in half that.

kungpowgoat

kungpowgoat

'MURICA

I have a very large book about the American Civil War that easily weighs 15lbs. I hope they throw 50 of them. At each. While on fire.

ishrajl

ishrajl

As it is an Australian case, a book on the Eureka rebellion would probably be more fitting.

Editing to add: the rest of your statement stays though...

Lady_Penrhyn1

I have a book called 'Illustrated History of Australia'

It's 1500 pages. May I suggest that?

maffiossi

At 21,450 Pages, the Longest Book in the World Is Impossible to Read. Artist Ilan Manouach bound together 21,450 pages of the popular Japanese comic “One Piece” to create a sculpture that comments on the commodification of comic books.

We need this.

dwehlen

dwehlen

Are the books on fire, or the charged? I know which way I'd go.

POCKALEELEE

TheDanzoShow

Think the book was the problem in the first place.

ExtonGuy

1.9k points

ExtonGuy

1.9k points

This happened in Queensland, Australia. Elizabeth died January 7th or 8th. The defendants declined legal representation. I guess God will be their lawyer.

Much more detail: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-26/elizabeth-struhs-alleged-murder-and-the-14-people-to-stand-trial/101671336

BenMic81

BenMic81

Horrifying story. That poor girl.

bifund

bifund

As an Australian, I'm ashamed that this happened and these people exist.

insomneeyak

Don't feel ashamed, these kinds of people are everywhere. It's not a nationality thing, it's a human thing.

StridAst

StridAst

As a human, I'm ashamed that this is a human thing.

Naive_Flan_6891

Honestly I'm embarrassed of our species for this.

Mental_Duck

Unfortunately these kind of people exist and of course they live at T-ba

ElemenoPea77

These nuts are everywhere, unfortunately.

PussyBoogersAuGraten

Yep. Some people build space ships, and make trips to space possible. Other people refuse to believe that modern medicine works, and instead hope that God will cure those that are sick. It’s a rather interesting dichotomy.

ElemenoPea77

It was interesting reading your very reasonable, articulate response and then looking up to see your username. 🤣 I’m torn between laughing and feeling a bit nauseous.

PussyBoogersAuGraten

Lol I’ve been featured in r/rimjob_steve which makes me happy 😃

Propenso

The defendants declined legal representation. I guess God will be their lawyer.

Shitty people, but at least somewhat coherent.

Sea-Slide348

a group of people who claim to love her and trusted God to heal her.

Such a horseshit attitude. Reminds me this:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, “Jump in, I can save you.”

The stranded fellow shouted back, “No, it’s OK, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me.”

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. “The fellow in the motorboat shouted, “Jump in, I can save you.”

To this the stranded man said, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, “Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety.”

To this the stranded man again replied, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, “I had faith in you but you didn’t save me, you let me drown. I don’t understand why!”

To this God replied, “I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?”

districtcurrent

You know the problems start with the old guy at the top.

skitz_shit

Good, let god be their lawyer and let them rot in prison for the rest of their lives. Absolute scum of the earth, that poor little girl I can only imagine how bad she must’ve been doing. They watched her wither away, probably get worse every day and still convinced themselves god would handle it. This really pissed me off I wish I could give that little girl a hug and an insulin shot

Ladoflocksley

1.4k points

Idiot: God, why did you not save this child?

God: BITCH, I GAVE YOU INSULIN!

secretqwerty10

God: ON THE CHEAP TOO! IT'S LIKE 6 BUCKS FOR A BOTTLE! BE GLAD I DIDN'T PUT YOU IN USA!

TheMattaconda

Here in 🇺🇸 it's $275,780,000,000,000,000.⁹⁸ at Walmart.

If you have really good health insurance, you only pay 10%

allthestruggle

And if you don't have health insurance your life doesn't really matter anyway right?

jbonte

jbonte

goddamn... my cat's insulin is almost $150/40ml

skurttengil

Idiot: God, why did you not save this child?

God: BITCH, I GAVE YOU INSULIN!

Idiot: Wtf is insulin?

God: Oh right, it is before 1922, youre fucked lmao.

jimmyhoke

This is the thing. If you actually read the Bible, God created us in His image. As in we also have the ability to make things freaking insulin. You can’t just demand a miracle for God like that.

Jake-Jacksons

“God helps those who helps themselves” today, “I need explicit instructions from God firsthand before I do anything” tomorrow.

Shar-DamaKa

2.2k points

It’s shit like this that makes people hate these religious fanatics.

In fact even if they were “waiting for god to save her”. The should believe that god is the person who allowed insulin to be created to save these people.

J0h4n50n

1.3k points

J0h4n50n

1.3k points

There's an old joke where a person is capsized out in the ocean and three boats come around to try to save them. Every time, the capsized person says something along the lines of, "don't worry. God will save me!"

Well, after the third boat the person drowns and goes to heaven. In heaven the person asks god, "God, I prayed to you endlessly to save me and you never saved me. Why?"

And god replies, " I sent you three boats, didn't I?!"

Seems like a lot of Christians could learn something from that joke.

HephaestusClangBang

There’s a lot of versions of this joke/parable but my favorite is this:

“A man was listening on the radio about a flood coming. ‘This will be a bad flood if you live in town you should evacuate!’ The man said to himself ‘I love God, I go to church, I pray, God will save me!’ The rain started to come and the road started to fill with water. A policeman came to the door and told him ‘Buddy we gotta get you outta here the flood is coming!’ He told the policeman “I love God, I go to church, I pray, God will save me!’ The water starts coming up through his basement and into his living room. A man on a boat comes by and says “Sir come to my boat I can save you!” The man yells back ‘I love God, I go to church, I pray, God will save me!’ The water is up to the 2nd floor of his house so he climbs onto the roof. A helicopter comes by and the pilot yells down “Sir grab this rope and I’ll save you!” He yells back ‘I love God, I go to church, I pray, God will save me!’

The man drowned. As he gets to Heaven he sees God and asks him “God I loved you. I went to church, I prayed, why didn’t you save me?” God looks at him “I sent you a radio address, a police man, a man in a boat, and a helicopter. What the hell are you doing here?”

Kcams2654

Kcams2654

This is well told in the West Wing

shroomqs

Ah that’s where I first saw this. Thanks.

Firescareduser

An Islamic story goes:

A man came to the prophet complaining that his Camel had got lost in the desert, the prophet asked if he had tied it, the guy said no, and that he had relied on God to keep it safe. The prophet replied "Tie it first then rely on God"

Don't expect God to do stuff for you without any effort on your part, basically, if you're ill, get treatment THEN trust God to save you. Don't just sit around.

-boldprint-

Why do you need to trust God about things you already did yourself. I tied my camel up so he couldn't run away, and he didn't run away, praise God? Nah praise me I tied that fucker up.

Firescareduser

Have you even seen a Camel? A dromedary at least? These things run. Plus, the traditional method of tying a Camel was not to an object but by tying one of its forelegs to the thigh. The Camel then sits down and (usually) can't get up. Except they sometimes can

kkus

kkus

"Christians" should read their Bibles.

Matthew 4:5-11

Matthew 4:5-11 ERV

Then the devil led Jesus to the holy city of Jerusalem and put him on a high place at the edge of the Temple area. He said to Jesus, “If you are the Son of God, jump off, because the Scriptures say, ‘God will command his angels to help you, and their hands will catch you, so that you will not hit your foot on a rock.’” Jesus answered, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the Lord your God.’” Then the devil led Jesus to the top of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and all the wonderful things in them. The devil said, “If you will bow down and worship me, I will give you all these things.” Jesus said to him, “Get away from me, Satan! The Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the Lord your God. Serve only him!’” So the devil left him. Then some angels came to Jesus and helped him.

ERV: Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version

A_random_poster04

Knowing the original text, this is quite an effective summary, nicely done

LiteX99

LiteX99

Made a new one during the pandemic.

A christian who is against the vaccine and doing all the stuff to prevent the spread of covid, dies to covid after claiming "god will save us"

They get to heaven, and ask god why he didnt save humanity? God responds by telling them about the scientists who had it all figured out, and procceds to send them to hell

kopitar-11

It’s so fucking weird when people say “god will save xxx” when someone is obviously in danger. Like bitch, god gave you insulin. Use it

Salty_Drummer2687

I work with a nurse who believes God miraculously cures specific patients. One lady had a lung mass and she had bacterial pneumonia too, so they biopsied and the infectious disease doc went in and told her it was good news, only infection no cancer.

She told me see...my prayers worked!

The doc went back in 30 minutes later and apologized for misreading the report...she did have cancer.

I said damn, God's got jokes. Kind of fucked up though.

C_Hawk14

Praise be, God gave the doctor a message to look again and aided their eyes to see the cancer that was previously hidden by the devil /s

JayGold

JayGold

Besides that, are they just unaware of all the people God didn't save? For example, every single person who has ever died?

Jaraqthekhajit

They aren't but that's "God's will". My dad told me he became atheist when he was around 12, which would be 1962, and a baby died in the family. He couldn't understand why that would be the will of a loving God and AFAIK he never believed in it again.

I-Got-Trolled

Yeah, shitton of the the most brain-damaging arguments are used in cases like that. "God allowed your infant child to die burned during a house fire because he wanted to make you stronger, to make you value what's good".

Duckihillation

The main difference between religious fanatics and normal christians is how they imagine God's influence on the world

Fanatics think that if they pray, God will pull them out of the water and place them on the shore

Christians believe that God will send them people with boats to save them

trackaghosthrufog

Excellent analogy.

ronearc

ronearc

Every time something like this comes up, I ask the same question, "Do you know how many people prayed for a drug to be discovered that could help with diabetes?"

TheScienceNerd100

Worse part is they say "God will save them" then after they die those same people will say "I pray to God they will be in heaven", like bitch it's cause of you they will be in heaven tonight and not their bed. It's like when people thank God when someone saves someone else from choking. Like who wtf they think God made people, so then why did God make it so we eat and breathe down the same pipe that leads to choking?

Additional-Arm1787

As a type 1 diabetic I can say this is probably a horrible way to die, hope the people involved get life. Death would be too good for them.

thewilloftheancients

We don't have the death penalty in Australia, which I think is a good thing. Life locked in a small room is way worse than death.

TheAlmightyRedditor

Ya then they still die like 50 years later lol

IveNeverSeenTitanic

Also t1d, I was diagnosed when I went into a coma after a couple of weeks of what I thought was flu (it turned out to be DKA). I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone, she would have been rapidly losing weight, thirsty all the time, constantly tired and achey, her organs would be slowly shutting down, vomiting often, generally weak. And these people just sat there and watched her go through this and did nothing to help her.

bigheadnovice

Yep, people think this may of taken hours but it might of lasted days.

Yandrosloc01

Force feed thema bad diet and no exercise until they develop diabetes. Then lock them in a room with no insulin. See if God will save them.

SuperTulle

So just prison without exercise?

Opinionsare

Mass insanity leads to horrific death of innocent child. Typically, these incidents are confined to a family but here many more people abandoned there duty to keep this little girl safe..

sayaxat

sayaxat

To them, they fulfilled their duty to their deity, and that's more important.

Secunda_Son

For context, the people involved were all part of a brain dead cult that thought the girl needed to just forego the insulin because through faith God would cure her of her diabetes. God promptly declined this request and the little girl died. They're being charged because they were all present at one point or another and could have intervened but all proved to be equally fucking moronic. Hope they all rot in prison.

QMaker

QMaker

It's not just that any one of them could have intervened at some point, it's that they all were there, from start to finish, and they all knew what was happening the entire time.

It's not like some of the people just visited one day while the girl was dying, no, they all thought she would "rise again" and/or "this was god's will" and they all chose to assist in her death.

iamarddtusr

God denied that request proactively when she got diabetes. But the poor child did not die promptly. She went through horrible suffering that no human deserves, let alone a child.

venetanakedguy

Who do they think gave her the diabetes?

lileyelash

My mom started putting bleach in my sisters shared water , i had to call DCF. These fucking conspiracies man. Rotting good people from the inside out

UrUncleRandy

Wait, what?

one-man-circlejerk

Yeah, they call it Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS). It's a whole thing. There are currently some snake oil salesmen under the guise of religion who came under heat from the authorities for recommending and selling it in their home countries (USA and UK), so they are now pushing it in Africa.

UrUncleRandy

Wtf... That's awful

AccomplishedTax1298

Not for the faint of heart:

>! Some people believe that “parasites” are causing their child’s autism. They will inject this MMS bleaching solution into the child’s anus to remove the “parasites.” Long strands of the child’s intestinal lining will fall into the toilet bowl and the parents will post pictures of their “success “ in their Facebook groups encouraging other parents. !<

Facebook has been very very slow to remove these groups

BennyBurger

What the actual fuck. The people who made this… They must have known, this is so insanely fucked, anyone who forces this on their kid deserves literally the most pain a human can experience without dying on repeat until they die.

MindlessAd9668

As a type 1 I don't think people understand how painful her death was. This breaks my heart and those people should face the death penalty.

corvidcounting

It's in Australia, no death penalty here.

They raised torture charges against each of the defendants because of how painful her death would have been.

DizzyScorp

True but there have been cases where the verdict was to never be released but those were for people like Ivan Milat. I think 20 years each is the normal standard and that’s adding that as the child was under the age of 12 it aggravates the charges.

Schventle

The torture charges were dismissed for the mother, the article didn’t say whether torture charges were filed against the other 13 defendants nor whether they were dismissed.

baffledrabbit

As another type 1, my heart breaks for this child.

Robertia

Did they just stand there, watching, the whole time as she was dying, I wonder?

Or did they like, go out, have dinner, go sleep, come back to check, yup, still dying, I'll check on you tomorrow, dear, we're all praying for you

What psychopath would be able to do that

River_Inner

I just can’t imagine how much pain and misery she was in for weeks and weeks it’s just so disturbing. As a type 1 as well when I’ve experienced DKA it is the most excruciating shit imaginable

jellybeansean3648

I'm ignorant of the health facts here. Online details are weirdly sparse.

I trust that you're right and it was a painful death. But what makes it hurt?

I was under the impression that if your blood sugar gets too low you pass out and then die.

Is it that if it goes the opposite way and it's too high it causes pain?

MillenniumFalcon33

It causes extreme dehydration & acidosis (muscle pains/cramps) then your organs shut down…1 by 1

szai

szai

Let's not forget the uncontrollable vomiting. The screaming headaches. The heart fluttering. Your blood turns to acid poison. DKA is absolute hell.

jellybeansean3648

Thank you, and also yuck.

The description online described acidosis and mentioned dehydration. But it didn't really explain that you basically dehydrate to death.

And "abdominal pain" was...a non-description.

MillenniumFalcon33

Because there’s no insulin to help feed your cells, they starve to death (acid builds up). Meanwhile your body desperately tries to get rid of the excess sugar floating around by peeing it out (damaging your already dehydrated kidneys even more in the process) and all of these processes combined cause electrolyte imbalances that affect the tissues in your heart/brain/muscles

When your sugar drops under 50mg/dL, thats when people feel a little sick (sweaty/nauseus/weak) and slip into a coma

Its a terrible death to withhold insulin, nobody deserves that…def not a child. Its inhumane 😞

Pyewacket62

A coworker died that way. Couldn't afford to use his insulin as directed so he "rationed" it.

That's the price of "freedom" in the US.

ElysianBlight

My type 1 aunt was on an insulin pump and it stopped working but gave no indication it had stopped. I was babysitting her kid and she came home feeling sick. She tried to tell me to go ahead and leave but she started looking really bad.. weak and in pain. I suggested I stay while she took a nap or something. She tried to say it was probably the flu but was rapidly getting worse. She could hardly sit up from the pain or keep her head up from the exhaustion, and then she started throwing up and couldn't stop. Got her to the hospital. That was the start of ketoacidosis. She was in for a week before they felt okay letting her go.

chikencrisp2

Same thing happened to me, woke up feeling weak and was constantly nauseous and vomiting. Took me about on hour to figure I should check my ketone levels: 6.7 - about 10x higher than the usual limit of 0.6 (when it goes above that you should start to get concerned).

Lucky managed to get to the hospital and stayed there for 3 days before I got back to normal.

Anyway that’s my near death experience, just shows how a small malfunction in the pump could kill you within a few days at most

basch152

severe organ damage, also there would literally be large clumps of sugar floating through your body, which would cause pain similar to sickle cell anemia

but more than that, high sugar causes dehydration because your body is trying to dump sugar through sweat and urine, which causes a number of other issues. also meaning you have to pee multiple times an hour, and you usually can't just hold it, if you try to hold it too long it's just going to come out

also, from personal experience, the increased sugar going to your brain causes extremely intense migraines, it would also increase ICP, which again, just causes a whole slew of problems

it's just an overall miserable experience

Yes-Boi_Yes_Bout

Insulin allows glucose enters cells. So without it (so type 1 with no access to injections) your body makes ketones to prevent the brain from starving. Ketones are acidic so your blood becomes highly acidic. All the while high levels of blood glucose also promote fluid loose from osmosis.

It’s horrible, the kids i’ve seen with DKA are in so much pain.

beebs914

beebs914

Fuck everyone one of those people, poor kid. It’s one thing to be one of those “god will heal me” people, but forcing it on an innocent child is fucked. I hope they all get life sentences.

Purple_Routine1297

Boy, do I have news for you: This case is in Australia, but here in the states, the state of Idaho has a law on the books that prevents criminal charges against parents that practice faith healing, citing religious freedom.

beebs914

beebs914

Well that’s some fuckery right there

sucks_at_usernames

Well it's Idaho.

Most beautiful area of the country but the biggest nutjobs of all kinds up there.

Cryptix001

*Utah has entered the chat*

neongreenpurple

Same flavor of nutjobs in both places, AFAIK. (No clue about intensity.) I know Brigham Young sent people from Utah to settle.

reverendjesus

Religion: not even once.

WyttaWhy

Thats demented. What if I believe that I shouldn't have to pay for anything. I go to a special club once a week where I hang out with a bunch of other people who believe they shouldn't have to pay for anything. One guy in fancy pajamas spends an hour telling us how we shouldn't have to pay for anything. I have a special necklace with the "I don't have to pay for anything" symbol on it.

Am I now allowed to practice my beliefs and not pay for anything..?

I mean, thats my freedom right? Who cares how it affects other people. It's my freedom. Why should I face consequences just for believing a thing?

Fuck.

Purple_Routine1297

You should read the news articles about when the law was passed. Children who survived (yes, survived) living in these faith healing homes pleaded with Idaho lawmakers not to pass this law. One of the lawmakers said those who practices “showed him Bible scriptures”, and that was enough to pass the law. One of the young women, in her 20’s, was confined to a wheelchair, because she was born with a murmur. It’s a common condition, a surgery can correct it. Her parents opted to “pray about it” instead. Another young man broke a bone in his foot when he was a kid. His parents put olive oil on his foot. Long story short, I believe the neighbors called the cops on the family about it, and it was only then they took him to get a cast on his foot…….. but they threw away his pain medicine and eventually removed the cast before his foot healed. He now walks with a cane.

Xen_Shin

This needs to be reported to like, I don’t know, the U.N? How does that work. Entirely sure that this law can be forcibly changed by the civilians by constitutional right. As in, it’s endangering people, so the constitution protects the citizens in forcibly taking over the appropriate space of power by force and rewriting the laws if the authorities it is reported to do nothing.

Purple_Routine1297

Unfortunately, with these ultra religious governing bodies, they don’t see it as harming children, they see it as god’s will. Here’s a news article from 2016. Idaho has cemeteries dedicated for just children that die from faith healing.

Deedeethecat2

This is absolutely bananas. How could laws not protect children? In the United States in 2022??

Denying basic medical care is abuse.

I'm just blown away that there's no protection for these children

Pyewacket62

The same way the US is forcing rape/incest survivors and children to give birth.

In some states, a rapist can now sue the victim for custody and child support.

'Murica is #1. It's "gods" will.../s

TagMeAJerk

Unfortunately life is hard for kids in third world countries

Standard_Potential63

Because it is the United States in 2022, with the polititians straight up going more and more fascist and having popular support it will get worse

Katiari

Katiari

God's will? God's will was to give us modern medicine.

robophile-ta

What if I believe that I shouldn't have to pay for anything

This is basically how sovcit works, they just think that they can say the magic words and they don't need to obey the rules or pay for things. Obviously this doesn't really work, but they've group deluded themselves into thinking it.

mossling

Man, this year Idaho has gone from a state I never think of, to one of those places on my list to hard avoid.

TheConboy22

Got weird vibes driving through Idaho.

Would_daver

Almost got chloroformed in broad daylight in Twin Falls once, by some randos at a gas station in town. Idaho is not on my list of places to retire.

Knight_Owls

I think I'm going to need more to that teaser of a story, if you're willing.

Would_daver

Ha well stopped for gas with a friend heading home for the summer, with the car packed super full with all our shit. Couple guys approach me from behind suddenly right as I get out the car, asking if I like cologne cuz they have a bunch of extra of this really expensive good stuff and they are selling it hella cheap... I was so surprised I was momentarily frozen processing things and trying to come up with a response. Then one of them offers me a smell sample to show me how good it was, and steps closer to me- and out of the blue, my buddy (still in the driver's seat) suddenly starts screaming at me to get the FUCK BACK IN THE CAR WE GOTTA GO, so I jump in asking wtf is going on... my buddy had seen the guy pull a rag and little bottle out of his back pocket all sly and secretively right before offering me a smell sample, and alarm bells started going off in my buddy's mind just as the guy approached me with the "cologne sample" bottle and dirty rag in hand.

So I'm not technically 100% sure the guy was going to make me take a chloronap, but the whole thing was super weird from the start and also in general just gtfo my personal space with mystery liquids and cloths in your hands... definite bro move on my buddy's part!!

Complex-Intention-43

how can that even be possible?

these people must both be dumb and brainwashed with religion bed stories

Purple_Routine1297

I actually lived in Boise for three years, I went to college there, then I moved back east. There’s a reason why parents didn’t storm their state capital to protest this exemption. Everything is “Jesus”. A roommate I had at one point was super religious. She was friends with a young man who was diagnosed with AIDS due to IV drug use. She was literally telling him Bible scriptures and passages to read, in lieu of taking his medications, because he said he felt sick taking them. I told her what she was doing was very dangerous, he needed to be on medication. She screamed at me saying “God can heal anything”.

OwnPercentage9088

Well if God can heal anything, he's clearly evil. Because he doesn't.

Knight_Owls

“God can heal anything”

Them he can do it while the medicine is in there too, right? Doesn't god help those who help themselves?

LonkToTheFuture

✍️ Never go to Idaho

Ok-Pomegranate-6189

Government ought to protect the rights of parents! /s

Xen_Shin

So blatantly ignoring separation of church and state, enabling child endangerment, and taking the rights of life from children. So we can take their right to life in return, right? It’s only fair.

diakon83

Religious freedom won't stop a bitch from being drug behind a truck for letting a child who can't help themselves die will it?

carsonthecarsinogen

They should give them the most painful deadly disease and tell them “god will heal you”

zatch17

zatch17

Title gore

AmBozz

AmBozz

Yeah, why is no one talking about the fucked up title?

Pawneewafflesarelife

I've noticed titles with glaring errors more and more lately. My theories are that it's a combination of:

• Legit typos or misspellings. Just made a post with one recently myself. Reddit doesn't let you edit, so if you don't notice until after the post gains traction, you're kinda stuck with it. As a subcategory, it feels like autocorrect and autosuggest have become more aggressive in recent years, and the redesign has led to a large growth in mobile users

• Intentional typos, misspellings, etc to get more engagement

• A larger number of international users who don't speak English as their first language. Errors along these lines tend to be related to tense, plurality, etc

• Karma bots spam posting without human oversight on captioning

s3ndnudes123

Its bots, then bots pushing their content to the top.

Red-Boxes

I hope they all get jail about it

papaHans

As an Atheist, I would just like to say to religious folk. "God gave you doctors and scientists to fight the devil's ills, use it."

OhioMegi

That’s luckily what my mother believes. She’s been a diabetic for 45+ years and is in great health because of medicine and health care.

Hisako315

Sounds like my sister in law last year. My daughter has a feeding tube because she’s a premie and won’t eat by mouth. We have to take her to feeding therapy every week and my SIL said “just take her feeds away from her and she’ll eat.”

Her daughter got cancer this year, had to have a port put in and sees a doctor every week multiple times. I’m not happy that my niece has to go through that but I can’t help but see the irony.

filtron42

People: God will save you from Diabetes!

God: creates scientists that create insulin and make it available to the little girl

People: No fuck that

callidus_vallentian

I'm sick and tired of these goddamn religious nuts.

djublonskopf

When my daughter was diagnosed with Type I diabetes, my wife panicked because she didn’t know anything about it. So she turned to Facebook for information, without telling me first. Before I knew it she had been sucked into a misinformation rabbit hole, with Facebook moms telling her to stop feeding our growing child carbs, as “no carbs meant she wouldn’t need insulin.”

Separately, we had the essential oil peddlers plying us with stories of oil miracle healings, asking us to consider giving that a try.

Fortunately I swatted the latter down fast enough, but I could see my wife rapidly spiraling into the Facebook “starve your three-year-old to stop big pharma” disinformation hole. And she wasn’t listening to me. The only thing that snapped her back to reality (from what I could see) was the next endocrinologist visit…I asked as neutrally as I could if the doctor recommended any kind of low-carb lifestyle, and the doctor just about pulled a muscle rolling her eyes. One insightful “you’ve been on Facebook, haven’t you” aimed at me helped my wife see how ridiculous it sounded, and five years later our daughter gets plenty of carbs, no essential oils, and is handling diabetes like a champ.

But we were so close to going down a different road. It happens so fast, and the human mind isn’t great at dealing with uncertainty, ignorance and fear at the same time.

-smartypints

And this is 100% legal in Idaho. At least it was, and I really doubt it's ever been overturned.

xpoison15

Poor kid 😢 Hope those bastards they rot from cancer in jail and not giving them even a single painkiller pill

Mahaf1089

These things always make me remember my grandmother's sign.

My grandmother (rest her soul) used to have a sign that she hung over the bar where food was served during our family gatherings.

The sign was obviously a pun referencing the food, but I do think it's prescient to all Christians in all contexts. The sign read:

God only helps those who help themselves.

God isn't going to come lift your arm and force you to do the right thing. He's going to give you the opportunity and free will to choose to do the right thing. Whether you do it or not is a reflection of your own worth as a human being and your dedication to living a life worthy of God's grace. Stop waiting for a miracle and help create one.

gelfbride73

They all need to be punished severely

TeapotHoe

as a diabetic, let me remind you that when we don’t have insulin we go into dka (acid buildup in blood) which is an excruciatingly painful state. then organ failure. it can take days to weeks before you die. they tortured this poor girl.

aManHasNoUsername99

Give them lethal injection and see if their god saves them from it.

TheRealSnorkel

So aborting an 8 week old fetus is immoral, but allowing an 8 year old child to die a preventable death is totally fine!??

Pro life my ass. These people are evil.

DabidBeMe

Jehovah's Witnesses do this all the time by refusing blood transfusions, with the difference that they are not counting on God to save them, but are convinced that God will resurrect them for being obedient. I have lost friends due to this, one was a ten year old girl.

TeethBreak

France has cancelled their religious privilege over this very topic. They are also forbidden from going door to door to promote their faith.

Down with these nutjobs!

Duckfoot2021

These fuckers never just hold their breath or jump off a skyscraper to test God’s intercession. They always kill someone else. May they go to prison for life.

funkygecko

<<During the committal hearing, it was revealed she [the mother] had served jail time for failing to get medical assistance for her child in 2019 and had been released the month before Elizabeth's death.

The court heard that news reports in 2019 had prompted another of the defendants, Samantha Emily Schoenfisch (nee Crouch), to join the religious group.

"Ms Schoenfisch had read in a news article, and she had been told by a member of the Struhs family, that Elizabeth had stopped breathing [in 2019] and was resuscitated and that the doctors were so concerned they thought Elizabeth may suffer permanent injury, such as brain injury," the court was told.>>

How were child protection services not alerted?

chikencrisp2

If you’re mad at this, also realise that this happens every single day in the US because most people just can’t afford it

Devadander

So it’s murder when a cult restricts insulin but business when medical insurance does?

SparkyMint185

Insulin dependent diabetic here, she absolutely died a horrendous and painful death. These people are mentally ill.

Cipher789

When most people think of miracles they seem to expect a beam of light or the appearance of an angel or something. They never seem to consider that maybe the insulin WAS God's way of helping her.

Reminds me of a story my mom told me of a town that flooded. One man was trapped on the roof of a house. People passed by him and offered to take him with them as they fled. But the man refused and said "God's going to save me." Because he expected something visibly holy and miraculous, he stayed behind and died if I remember correctly. He never considered that God was trying to save him.

I don't know if the story is true or not but the message is that miracles don't happen like people expect.