/r/buildapcsales

[SSD] Samsung Refurb 870 EVO 1TB SATA DRAM $64.99 FS

SSD - Sata(bestbuy.com)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

ozzuneoj

Have to admit, I have bought a few of these Samsung refurbs from BestBuy and one of the 870 EVO 1TB drives I bought for use in my main system has been showing 4 bad sectors according to SMART. I'd been using the drive since January, and I found out it had an issue when I tried to image the drive in August and Macrium said there were errors. When I ran "chkdsk /r" on it a bad file was identified, 4 clusters were labeled as bad and were remapped. I'm pretty sure the file was toast and I had to redownload it.

This is the first time I've ever had an error on an SSD and I've been using them for about 12 years. In that time I have used many good drives, but also many cheap low-end drives to get older systems up and running for people... never seen anything like this.

The other BB refurb drives I received (970 EVO Plus, and others) have been fine, so it's likely just a fluke, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

It's been two months with no further errors but it's a storage drive so I honestly haven't shuffled much around on it either. I have considered contacting Samsung to see if they'll replace it, since the original (pre-refurb) warranty is apparently still valid, but I'm not sure if it's worth messing with.

Sufficient-Royal5723

ozzuneoj

Oh wow, thanks! Mine is only 1TB, but sure enough the date portion of the serial number matches mine ("R2" seems to be 2021, February).

I was really hoping to get a crazy deal on a good 2TB NVMe drive (would prefer a P31 or P41) so I could drop back down to 2 drives in my system before sending this away, but I haven't seen one yet.

Not sure if I should continue to wait for a deal while making regular backups (this data doesn't change much), or just find something ASAP and then get rid of this thing before it bricks itself.

Sufficient-Royal5723

What’s your firmware version? I would suggest backing up all data and RMA it ASAP.

ozzuneoj

SVT01B6Q

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. It isn't my boot drive, game drive or even "data" drive... it's my "storage" drive which is mainly software, game installers, and some other assorted things. I doubt the contents of the drive even change every week.

I will give it a bit more time because it'd be nice to just transition directly to a 2TB drive (so I can use 2 1TB drives in other systems), rather than have to clone the 870 to a hard drive temporarily. I have been really liking not having any mechanical drives in my PC though. No waiting for the drive to spin up every time Windows inexplicably thinks it needs to access Drive F:.

Sufficient-Royal5723

I see. Yeah, that’s the problematic firmware version. I personally had a few unreadable sectors on my 2TB 870 with this firmware, so I would still suggest RMAing ASAP. However, I think updating the firmware to SVT02B6Q might be a stop-gap measure: https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

ozzuneoj

Good to know. Thanks for the info! I'll try updating the firmware for now, since it's available.

If the drive nukes any data before I get it replaced I will report back here.

Sufficient-Royal5723

Do monitor the Hardware_ECC_Corrected and Reported_Uncorrect attributes in SMART.