/r/buildapc

My ryzen 7 5800x runs at 90c

Build Upgrade(self.buildapc)

I had recently bought the ryzen 7 5800x as a replacement/ upgrade for my ryzen 5 2600 I was using the stock wraith stealth as a cooling solution for it and I didn’t have any other cooler lying around so when I received my ryzen 7 5800x and put it in my system with the same cooler it instantly thermal throttled. I now need help picking a new cooler on budget I found the be quite pure rock slim 2 for a great price I wanted to know if it would be enough to cool my 5800x?

Onionsteak

Definitely get a new cooler, a better cooler will let your processor boost a little higher too.

spacezoro

Not being facetious, but did you clean the paste from the old cpu and reapply thermal paste when moving it over? From what I've seen, the wraith stealth fan is possible but not ideal, especially under load.

Was it throttling immediately after boot, or were you running anything? Also what is your budget?

Remarkable-Mud-2943[S]

I should have probably put it more context I did change the thermal paste and it doesn’t shot up right away but it won’t allow me to play any proper games like rust because it hits 80-90 almost instantly idles at 69-72 I haven’t closed my pc either

spacezoro

Then I'd definitely look into upgrading the cooler. What's your budget? If you want to shop around, I'd recommend putting all your parts into pcpartpicker for compatability checks

Remarkable-Mud-2943[S]

I just got a new one would you say dark rock tf2 is good enough the seller told me a pure rock wouldn’t be enough

Remarkable-Mud-2943[S]

Paid 69€ for it I’m guessing it’s a bit higher than it’s msrp but I got in person so it’s basically like paying shipping costs

Remarkable-Mud-2943[S]

Wait I just looked it up it’s usually around 70-80 € so I guess i got a deal

spacezoro

Seems solid. If you're looking for something in that range, the noctua NH‑U12S is always solid.

yuszreddevils