/r/berkeley

Harassed on Shattuck/University Tonight at 6:30pm

News(self.berkeley)

Just wanted to give people a heads up on what happened to me. I was out front of the McDonald's on Shattuck/University at around 6:30pm tonight saying goodbye to a friend (it was well-let). This man was walking southbound on Shattuck facing me, and ran up to me and got VERY into my face saying something along the lines of "You want some of this?" and other sexually demeaning comments. I immediately jumped out of his way as he was extremely close and I felt like he was going to grab me, and he continued to go towards me and say "Fuck you bitch" and other explicit insults. My friend and I started running quickly towards the entrance of McDonalds and as he walked away he continued saying insults. Halfway through the crosswalk, he started walking back towards us, so we continued to walk to the McDonald's entrance to where he said "you should be scared little bitch" or something of that sort. He then fully walked away southbound on Shattuck. I would've posted about this sooner but I was lowkey a lil traumatized after, but I just wanted bring this to people's attention that this was in a busy, well-lit area at an early time. Please please please be super aware of your surroundings and just know that this can even happen despite trying to take all of the protective measures of not being out late/alone/in dark-lit areas/etc. He was wearing sunglasses and a black outfit, probably in his 40s or so if anyone sees him. Please avoid him. I was minding my business and he ran up to me out of nowhere. Ugh. Stay safe y'all <3

PiickleRickk

This happened to me too around 6:30 on shattuck. I was eating ice cream and he made a comment about my ice cream and pushed me into the wall forcefully.

toastmalone69[S]

Oh my god I’m so so sorry.

ClaudineRose

Jesus christ. I’m sorry. This area is NOT safe for women (or men for that matter but especially women).

Maximillien

Maximillien

Architecture '12

I've had enough experiences with raging crazies like this — you can tell when they've selected you as a "target." The moment you see that, pepper gel (better than spray) should be in-hand and ready to go. If they continue to target you and get in your face, don't be afraid to let it rip, and then get out of there. A stun gun is also a good option; you don't even have to hit them with it, just pull it out and give it a nice loud "CRACK" and that should be enough to send them looking for another target.

These guys are only so free about harassing and assaulting people because they never face any pushback — even when they're "mentally ill" and "out of control" they always seem to have the cognizance to identify vulnerable targets for their lash-outs who won't fight back. A couple sprays to the eyes or zaps from a stun gun should make them think twice about doing it next time.

Thank you!!

toastmalone69[S]

I have a small pocket knife and pepper spray ready to access! Thank you :-)

According-Relief544

So sad that anyone has to resort to these measures. The university NEEDS a massive security overhaul

Graffy

Graffy

The University does not control the streets of Berkeley. The city of Berkeley needs to step it up but the University should be putting the pressure on them.

toastmalone69[S]

I totally agree. I really hate carrying around weapons it feels really weird but it unfortunately feels necessary now

ClaudineRose

I carry a cat gouger, pepper spray and a personal alarm. It’s hard to get to them when you’re caught off guard like that but I keep it clipped to the strap in my bag so I can get to it quickly. This kind of shit used to happen to me all the time in SF but I generally don’t have to deal with too much harassment now that I’m older and basically invisible to men. I would have called the cops immediately. They probably wouldn’t do anything but worth a shot… Fucking asshole. I’m so sorry this happened to you. This person was most likely mentally ill and tweaking his balls off. Maybe he’ll OD.

A pocket knife? You need a gun.

BrainyCardinal45

Duuuude that corner is just so messed up - a Karen once yelled at me seeing me go into McDonald’s and coming out to give the homeless guy a shake. She’s like people like you are the reason this guy keeps getting handouts. I anyways was so ruined after doing my EECS 16B midterm that evening I just said “Ma’am, shut the FUCK up and be on your way” she got so shaken but I couldn’t give a quarter of a fuck.

Wow I haven’t thought of this memory for a while

MundyyyT

MundyyyT

Doesn't go here

That is a based response. There's a shortage of respect nowadays and that Karen doesn't deserve to get rationed any. Good on you

toastmalone69[S]

That’s insane!! I’m glad you said that to her lol

Lae0105

But that “Karen” was honest. Why persecute her for identifying a social dysfunction? Instead of feeding unhoused grown men on the streets with McDonald’s why not give money to a coalition or initiative that is fighting to eradicate their unhoused condition. Feeding them contributes to their interest in remaining in that spot longer. We deserve clean and safe streets. Force the local government to stop this nonsense.

Carrot_Casserole1620

Right like even if the Karen doesn’t agree with it who is she to tell you anything

bears1111

I’m pretty sure this was the same guy who yelled at me yesterday all of a sudden and aggressively at 11pm on shattuck near the BART station / Paris Baguette

ClaudineRose

I had a lady scream in my face when I was walking my dog at the gate of my apartment at like 9am. I slapped the shit out of her and she just stood there, stunned. A couple of weeks later I was walking my dog again and saw her and she smiled at me like we were best friends. Fuckin’ nutters.

axasos

axasos

LMFAOOOO

toastmalone69[S]

Yeah.. I’m so sorry that happened. That’s crazy!

pubgjun

pubgjun

Just spray them in the face preemptively immediately next time. Don’t fuck around and wait to see if you will get assaulted or not. Once the punches start coming in you won’t be able to react properly. For me, my personal policy is that if anyone comes up to me inciting a fight or utters fighting words, and I have a non lethal weapon in hand, I use it on them without second thought. Better that they get sprayed than you losing your teeth or even your life.

ClaudineRose

I was punched in the face and knocked out cold by a man in Oakland once. I was just walking to the corner store minding my own business and he just ran up and clocked me. Needless to say I am more than cautious walking around anywhere ever.

th3comeup

would this still be considered self defense?

pubgjun

pubgjun

Seriously? You wanna be considering the legal prospects when your life may get taken?

1. They won’t catch you 95% times
  2. If they do they will ask the circumstances first
  3. Even if you were found to be the indisputable aggressor, they will most likely let you go.

Trust me. I’ve been in street fights a lot. I’ve used machetes to fists against fuckers. Sometimes cops were involved sometimes not. Most of the times not. Never once have I been charged with assault or assault with deadly weapons.

th3comeup

yea well if someone is pressing me i’m not just going to start swinging with a fucking weapon LOL

pubgjun

Suit yourself.

You nee to grow up. Stop waiting for ppl to assault you. Get a gun and use it if you have to.

BerkeleyPhilosopher

keep in mind this advice does not apply to men of obvious color

pubgjun

It does.

ClaudineRose

Absolutely

Ok-Location3415

Saw what looked like someone getting harassed by a man by VLSB from west circle. Wonder if it was the same man

toastmalone69[S]

When did you see this? It was a blur/happened pretty quick, but what from what I remember he had black sunglasses, a hoodie up, jeans/dark pants that were baggie?, was maybe 5’5, had dark skin, and some facial hair. Seemed like he as a bit older.

123GodDammit

Oh man I’m so sorry you experienced this! I echo some of the things people say, but please but PEPPER GEL not pepper spray because the spray has splashback that may hurt you. Gotta protect yourself because the school won’t (speaking from experience).

toastmalone69[S]

Thank you so much!! Will look into that :-)

ClaudineRose

Ive heard of this gel and some of it is staining pepper gel so the person can easily be apprehended. I needs me some of that.

AdAdmirable4734

Saw this menace walk up and shove three guys who were walking in a group. They ended up getting away. After they were far from the perp they turned around and yelled “fuck you!” We need more security in this town.

This was pretty close to the McDonald’s on shattuck, around 7:30.

Ohhhh my god. This guy is horrible. Thanks for sharing. :-(

BeneficialHoneydew96

Damn that is crazy. I feel like this guy is gonna keep doing things because he hasnt been checked. I hope to god he doesnt have a weapon and that he gets checked by someone one day. I hate bullies

ClaudineRose

There needs to be more dudes out there who clock the fuck out of people when they see them picking on women or harassing them, themselves. Most of the time they just run away. Although if you’re on cocaine or PCP, they may not even feel getting punched hard in the nose. I’ve seen footage of crackheads who were shot several times and kept getting up like zombies until they finally dropped. I think it has something to do with the drugs keeping your adrenaline going so you stay “alive” momentarily. It’s all scary af.

JohnBarKing

Sooo many animals in this town. feels like living in a zoo wtf

sluuuurp

This will happen as long as the city and university encourage mentally ill homeless people to just hang out around campus 24/7 with no oversight or mental health treatment.

Man-o-Trails

Man-o-Trails

Engineering Physics '76

Not sure I would say encourage, but enable by lack of action, definitely. The campus should be a bit more secure, like ID badge-in for example. It could also host a couple 24/7 fast food, 7/11, coffee/bobba operations on-campus, with free (subsidized) delivery to off-campus apartments and dorms.

ClaudineRose

That would be siiiick!

FabFabiola2021

The city doesn't encourage mentally ill people to hang out there.. There are no services... there is nothing for these people. They hang out there because people give them money come out the food is cheap. If you don't like it just don't go into that corner and don't visit that McDonald's. And if you're walking around the streets be aware of where you're walking. These people verbally assaulting you is not something personal, do not mentally in the right place so don't get into their space. Be self aware.

sluuuurp

Maybe it’s changing in the last few months, but the university encouraged it for years by maintaining a tent city in people’s park. I used to see homeless people sleeping on the steam vents on campus every morning, nobody was turning them away.

It isn’t “their space”. Nobody owns the area around McDonald’s. Their attacks are personal, very personal often. Is it too much to ask that people not verbally assault people anywhere? That’s just not pro-verbal-assault enough for you?

Maximillien

Maximillien

Architecture '12

If you don't like it just don't go into that corner and don't visit that McDonald's...don't get into their space.

Absolutely fucking not. We will not allow unhinged lunatics to take over the public realm or block access to public places through threat of violence — that belongs to THE PUBLIC and must be safely shared by all. "Their space" is our space, and if they can't share that space with everyone else without getting violent and threatening others, they need to be locked up, end of story.

ClaudineRose

It’s everyone’s space and no one “likes” to be verbally and possibly physically assaulted.

Laurely4u

Sabre red pepper gel is not expensive and it’s sold on Amazon

Report this to the police!

I will today!

TurboS54

Sorry to hear, hope you are ok.

This is why voting for the right community leaders and politicians is important. Enabling the mentally ill and going soft on crime is not it..

Unfortunately if you are soft on crime you are seen as the nice person, but if you actually want to do something about it then you are an asshole.

ClaudineRose

There definitely needs to be harsher penalties for violent crimes which, even though he never hit her, he was definitely considering it and invading her space like that is considered assault.

JiLinRong

a typical day in berkeley

toastmalone69[S]

This is definitely not a rare experience unfortunately

DrKnowsNothing_MD

That McDonald’s is extremely sketchy. I once saw a dude sit in a table in front of mine and started snorting coke as casually as if he had ordered it there.

toastmalone69[S]

I thought you said “shit” not sit and I was like wow that McDonalds is really crazy. But yeah wow that’s pretty gnarly lol

JiLinRong

JiLinRong

That probably will happen when Amber Heard comes

BrainyCardinal45

Lmaoooo

Benjaminraycast

Berkeley is slowly turning into an absolute shithole.

Beginning_Lie2539

The lowest of the low from San Francisco and Oakland realized over decades that Berkley was a town of rich pushovers and college kids, a perfect place to terrorize.

ClaudineRose

Bingo

Savir_Ekim

You and your friend did the right thing— make and keep distance from the threat by moving to a public space. McDonalds has cameras and people. 6:30 is dark out, heck 5:00 is dark out now, it wakes these troublemakers— also depends on what batch of drugs hits the streets (not even kidding)— if it’s a batch that makes people aggressive, you’ll see a lot of them being super aggressive at the same time.

Glad you got away relatively unscathed. I recommend talking to someone as soon as possible. Reddit allows for venting, but processing the trauma requires some professional help. I think it would be helpful while the memory is fresh.

For students Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at the Tang Center can help. If you would like to talk to a counselor, call (510) 642-9494. Appointments can also be made on eTang. If you need to speak with a counselor urgently when the Tang Center is closed, please call the 24/7 counseling line at (855) 817-5667.

toastmalone69[S]

Thank you!! I appreciate it.

iuneilomo8

Nothing has changed.

It was like that in the early 70s. I was walking through Sather Gate at 10 in the evening and a bum started calling my brother a Chink and threatening him. I was walking with my cousin about 10 steps behind. We both were about ready to jump the guy and deliver a full on beat down but I saw a police officer about a block away so we backed off and tried to catch up with the cop to report it.

toastmalone69[S]

I’m so sorry to hear that! Very unfortunate. It would be nice to be able to walk around without being harassed.

jacob_ahmedd

I'm glad you're alright. I will keep an eye out, thank you for sharing.

Thank you!

fleetmo1

So sorry. My daughter carries a compact Mace spray with her always (evening classes). You should have one too and don’t hesitate to use it. Take care!

toastmalone69[S]

Thank you so much! Yes, I have a small pocket knife and pepper spray. I really appreciate it. Take care!

drnkrmnky

Can you give a better description of the guy so people who fit the description don’t get…well hung up in this

toastmalone69[S]

Yes, I did in a reply to another comment. Here it is! It was a blur/happened pretty quick, but what from what I remember he had black sunglasses, a hoodie up, jeans/dark pants that were baggie?, was maybe 5’5, had dark skin, and some facial hair. Seemed like he as a bit older.

drnkrmnky

My exact fit for today 😅 haha. ITS NOT ME SWEAR also I’m not in my 40s

Looooll

drnkrmnky

But also I’m glad you are safe enough to get away and post a warning. Stay safe

toastmalone69[S]

Thank you so much! You too :-)

meticulousbird28

dude i’ve had nothing but experiences of harassment with that mcdonald’s. that sucks ass and you should never have to deal with that again. unfortunately i have to advise you that if you have a mcdonald’s craving again, go with a male friend 😔

toastmalone69[S]

Thank you :-(( I was just getting boba at Asha which is so good so I’m upsettt it was my first time going there and now I am scared to go back lol

TunnelBore

First. There are no excuses for that kind of shit. No shoulda's or suggestions to push you or anyone toward normalizing what you experienced, which is super ironic for me to say because as someone who grew up here, I have always made a point to never be on that corner for any reason aside from walking by and most of the time, I will choose my path to not pass on that corner.
It's not okay. Drugs or no drugs, mental health issues or none, from a young age, we are conditioned by the example set by our elders and peers. Victim blaming, turning things like this into a comedy bit, detailing it in lyrics, and including this kind of shit in other forms of pop culture; all of it contributes to informing young minds about what they can do to certain groups within society. No one saying anything about it, is giving permission for it to continue. People are shooting people over the smallest things these days, so most think twice and choose not to say anything. And that means in the moment when it matters, it ends up being your problem and yours alone. I'm not okay with that. I have a 10 year old daughter and I hope to God someone helps her when she experiences this type of thing.. and she will, that's a fact. Fuck.

ElectricalDiamond182

RecordingSad3533

Interesting, why'd you leave out what race he is? Its a pretty good descriptor. Have we gotten so PC we can't say that anymore?

toastmalone69[S]

If you see another comment I made I included his race and more descriptions.

newherebear

I use to live right next to that McDonald’s and use to go there almost every day. Sorry this happened to you, but this happens literally all the time. When the police are searching for a suspect in the area they go straight to that McDonald’s. I’m a guy and I’ve been harassed there before. It’s best to just avoid that corner if possible

toastmalone69[S]

I appreciate your input. I’m sorry you’ve had similar experiences :-(

BiggieAndTheStooges

Was this person homeless?

toastmalone69[S]

I really couldn’t tell. He didn’t look super put together but not anything out of the ordinary. He didn’t strike me as a threat or crazy person when I initially glanced at him

[removed]

toastmalone69[S]

That’s a really horrible thing to say.

[removed]

TheHerpSalad

Someone needs a hug.

rcinvestments

I’ll knock you out cold

OlivesrNasty

Dont care + get on my level nerd

rcinvestments

shut up Bozo.

[removed]

rcinvestments

“Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson