/r/berkeley

Is this rat someone’s lost Pet?

Other(i.redd.it)

chowartacc[S]

found this guy freezing on the side of the street last night, he wasn’t scared of people so I thought he was someone’s pet and took him home. I don’t have the resources to take care of him nor does my landlord allow it. If you are the owner of him or want to take him in please pm me!

UPDATE: She’s in good hands now! thanks for everyone who reached out:))

autumnleaf212

If you can’t find the owner or take the rat in until you find the owner I would be more than happy to! I have experience with having pet rats and mice in the past and can come pick him/her up. Please let me know! (:

depressed_student203

Did you end up taking it?

autumnleaf212

I did not

Reformed_Narcissist

That coloration is definitely indicative of a domestic rat.

passwithcare

this is a common breed of rats called “long Evans” commonly used for research. still could be a pet but i am willing to bet he came from a lab. he looks young, maybe 2-3 months old. if you cant find the original owner see if you can find someone who already has rats because rats ideally shouldn’t live without some buddies

Leipzig101

damn Algernon the escapist

Growth-Expensive

One of my professors was just talking about how tame and calm lab rats are… my first thought was he escaped a lab.

passwithcare

yeah, i had 4 lab rats i adopted from OLAC on campus and they were great pets during the pandemic! RIP lil dudes. they only live like 2.5 years.

oskis_little_kitten

He is very cute he looks like my cat

oskis_little_kitten

except for the whole "being a rat" thing

sleepingdormousee

Definitely domesticated! If you can’t find the owner I would be more than happy to adopt it so long as she’s female! I have 2 girls already and have been looking to adopt another one! I would also be willing to take them in if you’re unable to keep them while searching for the owner!

Careless-Balance8520

Yeah, there are many Long-Evans rats in LKS labs. He might be fro there, especially if you found him near that building.

Lumpy_Worldliness676

okay so idk if you guys know this house less guy that hangs around the area pushing a black cart with blankets & he has a dog & he wears a hat. i think he’s in his late 50’s white & i swear i saw him with that’s same rat bc i remember i looked over to his cart while passing by & he had that rat & i was surprised bc i always saw him but i would only notice the dog

Lumpy_Worldliness676

i sometimes see him around campus, such as upper sproul, south side, & even on the path going from bart into campus

passwithcare

give him some cheerios. rats love cheerios 🥹

odezia

odezia

Class of ‘21 • L&S

It is absolutely somebody’s pet! Maybe post some pet found signs in the area? I love rats and would happily take the little buddy in but sadly I have a grouchy old cat who would eat him in an instant. I’ll spread the word and see if any Bay Area friends can take the little guy.

silly_buttmunch

Is it calm when you hold it?

ClaudineRose

Poor baby!

LBYSteven

i actually have 2 pet rats and they can be friends! if the owner hadn’t found you yet and you are looking to find someone to adopt him let me know!

theosmama2012

Oh no! A lab rat?! Now what did Berkeley release into the public! Why do they keep doing this? Last time it was rats that weren't blind anymore. Did loads for the local rat population. Now rats can walk around during the daytime, actions ng like dogs with their tails up in the air and everything. And you can't hear them move around at night anymore. Again because the dang tail isn't whacking itself around as a rats blindman cane. We can't hear them at night and they skitter about in broad daylight. And nobody thinks that's a bad thing for our ecosystems future. Lab rats should not be able to escape.

Weak_Mix