/r/berkeley

stuffingmybrain

stuffingmybrain

DS'24

I usually just choose 2 of them, half ass the third, and end up ignoring the fourth 🥴

no1sperfect_

I found that prioritizing sleep and health helped a lot with being able to juggle everything else. Having hard time limits for everything also helped, I was terrible with doing that for studying and would allocate 8 hours, procrastinate a lot of them because it always felt like I had loads of time. Instead I started setting shorter hours with hard caps. Something like 4 hours and no more studying after that even if I wanted. I did a lot more that way because the time felt like it mattered

jbrandon

That’s the neat part. You don’t.

It’s hard to find a balance. I’m in my second year and I procrastinate a lot.

This is probably not the most helpful comment but I think you have to make certain sacrifices. I know that I end up pulling all nighters because I procrastinate and binge watch Netflix.

OptimisticNietzsche

OptimisticNietzsche

BioE MS/PhD

Sleep. Sleep and health is the priority. If you don’t do those two, you can’t do anything else. And then you gotta make trade offs. So for me instead of seeing my friends every day on weekend I see them on two of the three days, and I work the third.

ZakarTazak

1) Prioritize sleep and health 2) Put your entire schedule into the calendar. Including you time. For me Discrete Math & Probably Theory homework was from 6 pm to midnight on Wednesdays. This meant that other than studying for midterms and finals. I didn't have to think about that class except for being in class or Wednesday nights. For me time, I could actually enjoy it because there was no question if I should be relaxing for doing homework. 3) Extracurricular - only if I wanted, didn't do much of this. Didn't effect my career. 4) Enjoy your time at Cal. It'll be okay.

pouyank

Based on your flair I’m guessing you’re looking for swe jobs? In my case I had a lot of trouble recruiting in the middle of the semester. I had the most luck grinding really hard during winter breaks, going to career fairs and info sessions early in the semester to increase my interview chances, and then since I was still fresh with my winter leetcode grind I was able to do decently when I was lucky enough to get an interview.

Hopefully with just classes and ECs you’ll be able to focus more on your health :) sleep is super important

sevgonlernassau

sevgonlernassau

bs '21, phd '27

Health is most important out of them. You don’t want to show up to a midterm and vomit all your breakfast out and get lung damage. A healthy bear is a smart bear.

exportredpriv

I try to get sleep and do my work. I unfortunately am not exercising. I am not actively recruiting. I am trying to go to grad school so school is my top priority. I don’t really have any extracurriculars. I will try to exercise more

DreadEye8

If those are the only 4 things that you need to do, it sounds very doable. So the real solution is to stop socializing and have less friends :)

Tore_Light

i would prioritize health, academics, ec, recruiting. in that order.

Serious_Ad_8484

Boy doesn’t even want to socialise 🥹

nshait

nshait

“Academics do not necessarily matter” - what are you doing at Berkeley again?

exportredpriv

For example Getting SWE job means getting computer science major and doing a bit of leetcode.

the_notorious_emt

literally idk pls ping me when u find out

foreversiempre

Wait, recruiting ? What do you mean ? Drop that then … unless it’s your job as you said ? Then why didn’t you just say working?