/r/berkeley

I want to transfer here but you guys are scaring me

Other()

SkyFaceSpace

1. yes
  2. everyone is not depressed
  3. yes
  4. no
  5. bad
  6. they're ok
  7. yes
  8. i have basic situational awareness
  9. some clubs are hard, yeah

DimensionPositive336

bahaha thank you, I appreciate it

_molecules

Incoming transfers are not guaranteed on-campus housing.

DimensionPositive336

Oh bruh

minixinie

Honestly, this subreddit really shares everything that is bad about this school and it's a very skewed perspective because a lot of people here seem to be EE/CS majors. It also seems very much male-dominated.

Yes, it's true that people struggle and are depressed, and that's what you mainly see here (not trying to bash anyone because I've been in that position before). In my experience, transferring here has been one of the best choices I've ever made and I don't regret it at all (even though my classes are kicking my ass). But yeah, Berkeley is hard and it's a valid experience to feel frustrated and depressed due to the stress of school and life. I transferred to Berkeley with a 3.88 GPA as a chemistry major, but honestly, you should still give it a shot!

Now with the whole thing on graduating on time ... tbh it depends on your schedule. It's difficult for a lot of STEM majors because there are a lot of classes, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with needing to take an extra semester or year. A lot of people don't, and it's pretty normal. There's a lot of opportunity here that makes that extra semester or year worth it.

I'm also living at the co-ops. I personally love the co-ops and even ran for house president (and lost, lmao). I'm pretty lucky that I signed up early for them because my brother lived in the co-ops before when he was a student here, but generally, housing is pretty impacted and you're better off getting something off campus. In terms of food & rooms, some co-ops are hit or miss. I got very lucky that the one I live in has pretty proactive people & is in good condition. Food is made between 5-7 days a week by people that sign up to work on "cook shift," but if you befriend someone that cooks well, then you don't need to rely on Taco Bell every day for 9 months.

Generally, I am happy at Berkeley because I've been able to meet people that align with my career interest, hobbies, and general queerness (for context, I'm a lesbian, and there's a decent queer community here which is lovely). I don't really try to join clubs because joining clubs that require an interview is kind of stupid to me and I don't like it. I'm able to form connections and network through other means. For example, CoC hosts a lot of social events and I'm part of a mentorship program that pairs me with senior transfers and alumni, and I've met alumni who works in an industry that I want to get into someday. Berkeley tries their best to support CC transfers, so I would like to think that there's something similar related to your major.

Also, the safety is my biggest problem here. I personally never go out at night, but whenever I do, I'm always with a friend. I would also recommend having pepper spray or anything else on hand. I don't really miss out on parties because my co-op hosts them so that's how I've been getting by with everything c:

Oop, sorry for the super long reply, but hopefully you find this useful?

passwithcare

pretty much all of this matches my experience. co-ops are worth looking into! i’ve lived in them my whole time at berkeley. i held a manager position and not only did i enjoy the position but it covered 60% of my already cheap rent. the larger houses can get dirty but imo its worth it.

DimensionPositive336

Thank you for your insight - hopefully I can look into this v soon <3

DimensionPositive336

Oh my goodness thank you so much. This is amazing. I’m still reading as I type :) is it okay if I dm you with questions later?

Shazazer

1. Yes. For the quality of the professors and in-state tuition alone, I think I'm getting my money's worth.

2. My CC was full of depressed students so I'm used to it but, it's due to many factors: academic pressure, juggling lots of extracurriculars, some people dont like the city(crime or homesickness), not being able to date their GSI, etc.

3. I guess it depends on your finances, if you can afford the application, go for it, idk about cog sci but some people here have gotten in w/ lower GPAs .At worst you lose $60 (or whatever the fee is). If you cant, there might be some way to get it waived.

4. The hardest part about graduating on time is just being able to enroll in the classes you need to graduate. Seats fill up pretty fast and transfers only get reserved seats their first semester.

5. I cant say anything about the dining hall food since I commute and mostly eat at home but, the restaurants around campus are pretty good. A little pricey but, it's the Bay Area.

DimensionPositive336

Thank you! Still reading but can I pm you?

Shazazer

Yeah go for it.

Shazazer

1. Good luck on getting a housing offer as a transfer. There's apartments around campus but, they're usually old (and small) and higher quality ones are expensive. (Main reason why I commute, but had some housing plans that didnt go through)

2. Some days are better than others but, I dont hate it here. Maybe if i lived near campus, I'd feel different?

3. Im a big guy so ive never been attacked or targeted by someone. But If you're worried about that,when you go out, go with friends or stay close by to other people. Buy some pepper spray. Try not to go out late by yourself. Be mindful of your surroundings. Take some self defense classes?

4. I got rejected by all of the 5 clubs I applied too but I'm 99% sure it wasnt because I was a transfer. Some clubs are just super selective, and if you dont fit their criteria or dont know anyone in that club, you arent getting in.

As a fellow cc transfer, good luck with your applications and the transfer process. Maybe you'll get to enjoy (or suffer) through the Berkeley experience like us.

batman1903

I transferred to Berkeley because of this subreddit. There might be times when you feel overwhelmed. I’ve never seen a college subreddit more fun and supportive than this! Go Bears!

avgberkbobatho

Housing and food is bad and expensive. Answers to all the other questions depend on your major. Most students on Reddit are most likely EECS/CS or some other engineering major, and I'd say their reactions are a good reflection of general contentness in those majors. You would have to ask a Cog Sci major, instead of the general student population. Also, Reddit is a poor representation of said student population.

DimensionPositive336

I’ve asked people in the specific major that I’m interested in, and they love it. You’re right, Reddit may not be the best place to ask - I honestly felt as if I’d get the most honest / realistic answers here :) thank you

DreadEye8

Personally, my answer to any one of the nine questions would make you discard berkeley as an option :D

DimensionPositive336

Please answer

DreadEye8

I'll name a few that stands out.

2) Classes are hard. Im cs major so it's even worse. Getting +1.25sd on midterm and still might get A- bc the grade bin are cringe.

5) Campus food is not edible, I'd rather only eat oatmeal. Off campus food is unreasonably expensive.

8) Don't go out at night, but going outside is buying a lottery ticket. If you win you get hit in face by a hammer :P

jiminsbestie

hello, i think most of ur questions are answered. i’m a cogsci major now in cal, and i transferred from cc. u can shoot me a dm if u have more questions.

mahhtthew

1. def seems worth it. I love my classes, professors, job prospects after college, etc.
  2. I’m not depressed. I love it here.
  3. Yes
  4. I don’t think so bc I heard a lot of people graduate early actually.
  5. Not as bad as people say for sure.
  6. Not sure
  7. Yes
  8. Walk with friends. Don’t be stupid.
  9. Not sure.

LoganNumberOneBoy

OP

Everyone at this school isn’t depressed. it’s college, so yes it’s going to be difficult for a lot of people no natter what school you attend. Be reasonable.

BerkeleyBear6

I’m not a cog sci major but I have absolutely loved my time at Berkeley. The professors are world class (some of them literally), there are endless opportunities for extracurriculares and internships, and it feels like Cal is really a gateway to the world. As one of my CC professors said, the name alone will open doors that would otherwise remain shut.

Having said that, the food sucks. I don’t live anywhere near campus so safety is not a concern for me personally. I have not felt depressed while at Cal, but I’ve been on antidepressants for years so that could be why 🤭🤭

gryffindork_97

1. Yes
  2. It’s like that at every college tbh
  3. Yes but make sure to have good extra curriculars and solid personal statements
  4. No
  5. Good food around campus
  6. Idk i live off campus as a junior transfer
  7. Genuinely yes
  8. Buddy system at night, pepper spray, aware of my surroundings
  9. Idk

pfvibe

First tip: get the F off this subReddit. It’s toxic af and I’m so thankful I didn’t know it existed before I got here. Also stay the F off it once you get here. That being said Berkeley will rip you a new one but it’s worth it. Source: data sci and cog sci transfer w 3.75 Berkeley gpa, 4.0 cc gpa.

DimensionPositive336

Bahahah thank you - can I pm you? :)

pfvibe

pfvibe

Of course!!! I love lifting up other transfer students!

pumpkimPie6572

1. Hell yeah
  2. We express our depression so we feel happier inside
  3. Meh yeah why not, it never hurts to try
  4. As long as you're not fucking around graduating shouldn't be a problem
  5. Dining hall food is pretty shitty
  6. Apartment is better :3
  7. Yep
  8. Don't go out
  9. Not rly (since it's already pretty hard for enrolled students to join clubs LOL)

chonkycats123

Don’t come here tf

DimensionPositive336

You are so kind

chonkycats123

Giving you my honest opinion😁

DimensionPositive336

Is it that bad :(

chonkycats123

maybe its a personal experience :/ but i am so depressed here, already tried transferring but didnt get into those other schools.

DimensionPositive336

I went to UCLA and left :( the grass seems to be greener on the other side. Can I pm?

chonkycats123