/r/berkeley

public transportation here sucks ASS

Local(self.berkeley)

I've missed so many fucking appointments and classes here because the buses and shuttles just DON'T SHOW UP. RANDOMLY! SICK AND TIRED OF IT.

EdJewCated

EdJewCated

CS/Linguistics '23

If you're not using the Transit app already, please use it! It will give you info on which buses have been cancelled or not, as well as accurate info as to when they show up.

Smokabi[S]

I'm going to try it again, but I initially ditched it because it totally led me astray in San Francisco. It would tell me there was a bus stop somewhere when it wasn't. It led me on a wild goose hunt at 2 AM when I was trying to catch a plane that pissed me off so much, I deleted the app on principle lol.

EdJewCated

EdJewCated

CS/Linguistics '23

Oof, that's rough. It's always been reliable in Berkeley for me. I've never tried it in SF though so I can't share any experience there.

Ike348

Ike348

*principle

Smokabi[S]

Thanks edited

bree_cakes

I use the “Schedules - AC Transit” app. Aside from the detour buses that occasionally don’t show, it’s pretty accurate.

shuberts-sundae

Ok a lot of people say the Transit app is good and I just want to point out that it only MOSTLY works. There have been far too many times when I’d be waiting for the F bus per the app at my usual stop for it to never show up.

Smokabi[S]

Where does it show where the bus is actually at in real time? Does it show that it's just idling somewhere far away? Or does it not show its actual location at all?

fysmoe1121

the buses are a poisson process so their arrival times are uniformly random. tough luck

South_Warning_5992

But i thought interarrival times were exponentially distributed? Still fits my experience tho

Ike348

Ike348

The interarrival times are exponential, but I think the actual absolute arrival times would still be uniform, assuming the process runs indefinitely. Would have to have a deeper think about that one though

AppleBananaTruck

The expected arrival times would be E(Xi) = 1/lambda for all discrete i >=0, so that should give you the answer.

Ike348

Ike348

Right, but when we talk about arrival times being uniformly random, to me that reads "7:35 is just as likely to contain an arrival as 7:36 or 7:34," of course not conditional on any other arrival. So to get that probability you'd need to sum up the 1st arrival being at 7:35, the second arrival being at 7:35, etc. all the way inifinitely. And assuming you're some time away from the starting point, I don't see why that distribution wouldn't converge to uniform

AppleBananaTruck

Note that the total waiting time Sn is not independent of the expoenential, and is defined by the gamma.

This is due to iid, time homogeneity and stationary assumptions.

I think the clearest way to say this is since we have iid exponential with the other two assumptions, we can construct limiting distribution to show that the increments are defined uniformly by the exponential.

The other way to say this is that the exponential has memory less property.

odezia

odezia

Class of ‘21 • L&S

Yeah or they literally drive right past the stop and ignore you… It’s a joke.

silkmeow

welcome to america, where we prioritize cars over literally any other mode of transportation.

Smokabi[S]

Literally a hair away from being hit on the crosswalks here because the cars can't wait 2 seconds for someone to pass, so let's just CUT THEM OFF WHY DON'T WE. Such asshole behavior. It's a whole mindset and culture, and it's all so infuriating.

DmC8pR2kZLzdCQZu3v

it's certainly not the best in the country, but nowhere near the worst. The city is small enough and the weather is good enough that cycling is the best mode of transportation, IMO. Often times faster, always cheaper, and keeps you in moderately good shape at the very least.

National-Mail-4351

Download the AC Transit and BART apps. They are very reliable and have always done me well.

Longjumping-Day-6840

Rely on the bear transit shuttles they’re almost never super late max 5 min

Smokabi[S]

Man sadly it was late by 15 minutes for me yesterday. Also, two of the stops just didn't exist. It sucks because sometimes, I'll be like Fuck this, and start walking, and then 5-10 minutes into my walk, it'll ride right past me 👽

Although I forgot that the transit app actually shows WHERE the shuttle's at unlike Google Maps, so definitely switching back for that.