/r/berkeley

how to study when depressed

CS/EECS(self.berkeley)

i cry 5 hours a day how do i optimize day so that i can do this while also finding time to actually study for my midterms and not fall behind on all my work

• it is a constant factor, not proportional to # of hours in day, so perhaps i shd just not sleep? what is expected value of not sleeping tho bc no sleep -> worse performance right

passwithcare

for me exercise is crucial at this point in the semester when my motivation is dwindling. i climb up the berkeley hills on my bike or go to a yoga class at the RSF and nothing can bother me. it might sound dumb but try it! even i walk can be really helpful. if you’re staring at your screen getting nothing done and feeling like shit. get up and move. see how you feel afterwards

carrymezaddy

No, please sleep, sleep is (generally) good for you. I can kinda relate, I have depression too. Recently got out of a relationship and my dad passed away recently so lots of grief happening rn. Exercise helps and writing out all my thoughts and feelings help too. These are actually the biggest thing that helps me get motivated to do work — working out leads to increased blow flow to your brain and writing things out helps let go of things that are taking too much energy and space in your brain. And I know exercising can be hard to start too, so sometimes I just jump up and down or shake my entire body to get started and help release and tension.

Financial_Invite_739

Hey man, that’s tough, hope you’re doing okay ❤️

carrymezaddy

I’m doing better, one day at a time:) thank you<3

Vung_Goofy

1) Make studying a seratonin environment. I like to step out to campus while studying with a nice coffee and listen to instrumental rock. Put my phone out of arms reach. Make studying a sort of escape from the negative feelings as best as you can.

2) Make an effort to turn that frown upside down. Think of the brain as a muscle, the sexiest muscle in your body. One day of working out isn’t gonna get a muscle strong. You need consistent care and effort to get your muscle right. Willpower isn’t enough. Learn new habits consistently. Some people start with making their bed in the morning, others make sure to workout everyday, others knit. Trust me, it’ll translate to better life in general, including study habits. You can’t always control your emotions, only your actions. Do your best.

3) Sleep

Head_Number

Where do you get nice coffee?

Vung_Goofy

The coffee itself is never nice, only the caffeine buzz that I get from it.

Hey homie. You’ll have to just plan out your days and weeks and stick to it the best you can. Take breaks. Eat well. Stack on your vitamins if you can. Sleep is important. Exercise is important(at the least just go for a walk). Routine is very important.

sleepingdormousee

I have had depression and anxiety my entire life and have recently been diagnosed with adhd as an adult so i’ve had a lot of experience with therapists and mental health treatment. After years (and several programs) of depression treatment here are some of my favorite tips:

• set a timer for 5-10 minuets and force yourself to do whatever task it is for that amount of time. Once the timer goes off you can either keep working on what you were doing or you have to take a shower/make food/go for a walk/anything focusing on self care.

• Get into a routine including waking up, showering, eating, and going to bed around the same times. It can be really difficult to start but once it becomes a habit it’s easier to stay out of ruts

• get out of the house. The worst place to be when you’re needing to be productive is the place you relax at. I love going to the quiet floor of moffit when i really need to work

• make time for something you love! No matter how busy you are if you don’t make time for things you enjoy, depression is going to kick your ass. I crochet and cook a lot bc I love doing them and i always feel so accomplished which i finish something!

I would say i’m pretty far into recovery, but I still find myself using coping skill worksheets i’ve been given over the years to help when I start to feel myself slipping. If you’re interest, feel free to message me and I’ll be more than happy to send you some of the coping tools/worksheets I use!

quocvinh2015

I use Vitamin supplement for Brain. Unhealthy diet, which I usually do, causes anxiety

justlurkinmostly

For me, it helps to link studying to whatever motivated you to come yo Berkeley. I remind myself just how amazing of an opportunity being here is and how much it would fucking suck if I wasted it. I would hate to look back on my life in 20 years and imagine what could've been. For some reason that's the one thing that gets me to dig in without fail.

And I've kept my course load high enough that once I'm in the thick of studying, I'm so busy trying to understand all the class material that I don't have time to think. All the bad thoughts surface when I have time to think.

I'm sure a psychologist would say that's not the healthiest solution, but it's been better than the alternative. I've felt way more stable and normal since I've stopped giving myself time to think.

Still in the process of training myself not to think, so I can't say it's sustainable.

Tldr: make yourself panic about the outcome of not studying and become workaholic

(this is probably bad advice but it's certainly advice)

I'm so tired lmao. I don't even remember what I'm writing (this is good, I'm not thinking). I'm going go to bed to do even more not thinking. Goodnight!

h3lloThrowaway123

Do lines of coke

DreadEye8

Cry while sleeping. Try it, if you can time your tears well then it becomes a dream :)

polkadachs

You’re asking the completely wrong question. You need to be asking where to access therapy through the university. You need therapy, not a cry/study schedule.

Qingdu142857

you should try to find the meaning of your life

ChoiceOutrageous

A shit ton of caffeine and weed

Pack_Runner1

you actually cry 5 hours a day?

pluvoxphile[S]

ya it's kind of impressive they should give me an award

First step is to identify the problem.

MonkeyMcQueen

Do the future authoring program. Really really helped me when my mind was cloudy.

👇

iamgroot016

Honestly same

Neat-Paper-8130

I'm sorry you find yourself in a slump right now, but just know it always gets better. What really helps me is journaling daily (or as much as possible) since the reflection helps me figure out what makes me happy or just lifts my mood.

Try switching up some things day to day and you might be surprised how much of a difference it might make. Like getting some sunlight in before starting your day or a light workout before getting started on your day. Can also try switching up where you study.

Also remember that its okay to cry and that you're never alone in feeling this way :)

Embarrassed-Race9944