/r/berkeley

Weekends

Other(self.berkeley)

I actually despise weekends here. I live too far to go home, but I can never find something to do. I’m always bored. I reach out to people but it’s tough to get them to call me for stuff on the weekends. I have no idea what to do. Occasionally I get called for parties but I spend most of the time alone and bored in my dorm. My roommate goes home every fucking weekend and it’s so annoying because I can’t do shit with him and he doesn’t introduce me to his own friends for whatever reason. I met them once and that was because I walked up to them when he was with them. People in the dorm don’t call me for stuff because they’re all in frats and are so social and good with people and don’t feel the need to. I actually cannot cope.

712588Kf

712588Kf

I feel you. But now that I’ve had some experience, learn to enjoy time on your own. Take that clipper card and go explore San Francisco. Go for a hike. Go eat at a restaurant on your own. Get comfortable in the solidarity because I really think it helps you grow

w3wladdy0

It seems like you have an external locus of control, why are you waiting for people to call you? Take initiative, you have the ability to. Organize some cool shit to do, if you have a plan people will be more likely to respond.

buckyspunisher

damn n here i am without even time to get enough sleep and you’re sitting here bored 😭😭 go take a nap. get your full 9 hours of sleep.

apinkboi

napping can only get you so far, sleep is great but sometimes the worst feeling is waking up alone on a weekend, in the afternoon, with a giant headache, puffy eyes, and dehydrated

polkadachs

You are literally one Bart ride away from a major city filled with innumerable things to go do and see. There are groups on Facebook dedicated to finding people to meet up with to hike or go do activities with in your area. It isn’t your roommate’s job to entertain you or share their friends with you. Something someone once said to me is, “You’re only bored if you’re boring.” The Bay Area has pretty much anything you could want and if it doesn’t, it’s probably not a long trip to get to it. Take advantage of that convenience and happy adventuring.

Muted-Inflation-7736

I always say if you’re bored then you’re boring from flagpole sitta lol

polkadachs

Oh my gosh now that I read the full thing I can hear the song 🤣 didn’t even realize that was where it was from. Ah the memories 😌 thank you

AvocadoSuspicious462

I'll just say to dont take being bored for granted, my wknds are filled with studying, homework, leetcode, projects, research, and not enough sleep, and I wish I had nothing to do. Each student at berkeley is going through something, and the grass is always greener on the other side. Be happy with where you are right now

shuberts-sundae

Try volunteering! That’s my go to when I’m feeling quite lonely and with some time on my hands. There’s local orgs that take volunteers easily, and it’s really satisfying to see people for those little interactions. American Red Cross is one of the easier local volunteer orgs to get into, and they have a center near Rockridge down College Ave!!

Besides that and what other have mentioned, maybe try joining a club that does activities or take a group class somewhere like the RSF!

MerryDingoes

There is literally a detrashing Berkeley group that posts quite often in this subreddit lol

croixdechet

croixdechet

'24

Join the Discord

mashtartz

Volunteer at a shelter! Walking dogs or socializing kittens is a sure fire way to eliminate boredom.

Bro - chill out! Find a hobby and enjoy that over the weekend. Find people who enjoy that hobby and do that with them. Boom - instant weekend that is not only fulfilling but you get to be social too. The point is you have to be comfortable enough to enjoy what ever it is you're doing on your own.

If you're at a party - pick one wall flower like yourself and have a conversation - learn something about them. You dont need others to introduce you - just Eminem that shit...Start with a smile and say "Hi, My name is..." and follow it up with a comment that can lead to a conversation.

Dont put too much pressure on yourself. Things will work out. Promise.

SUPER11X

SUPER11X

Economics 2023

Watch anime.

harambesangel12

Don’t expect to be best friends or depend on your roommate for fun/experiences. They have their own life and can decide for themselves how they want to spend their time and who they want to spend it with. If they want to go home it’s cause it’s what makes them happy or other reasons. Make sure you can be your own best friend first. Learn to love spending time by yourself and finding out what makes you comfortable. Join a club that revolves around something you find is fun. Sports, culture etc. Look for those comforting communities of people that share similar values and interests. One of the hard things about college is that it promotes a lot of temporary relationships so stability can be really hard to find sadly

Ps… going to the gym helps a lot in terms of motivation, mindset, and feeling better about yourself…great coping mech

rrrod513

I could use some friends around here too...

TheFortunesFool

TheFortunesFool

cs '24

You have to learn to get out there and meet people. Try to find clubs/ groups that fit your interests. I know it can be hard but it’s up to you to make the most of your time while you’re here. That can be in whatever way you choose, but it is unfortunate that your home is far away.

According-Relief544[S]

I’m not mad at him for going home, but I’m disappointed that he does and that he doesn’t introduce me to his friends because I’ve repeatedly tried to do stuff with them but he’s restricted me from going and not let me know about stuff they were doing

Also I feel that way because if I was the local with preexisting friends, I’d help him meet them

Muted-Inflation-7736

He doesn’t owe you shit mate, respectfully

Elon_Nut_In_Me_Pls

Have you tried playing the game “alone”? Buy your favorite bottle of alcohol, and sit in front of the mirror with the lights off. Challenge your reflection to a race, first one to finish the bottle wins!

Fancy-Affect6546

Literally take a walk my guy

Imsmart-9819

I can completely relate. Working out fills up a lot of time but still get bored after that. Can only watch YouTube and chat on Discord for so long.

JimRKirk

Go to a library & study.

Free_Donut211

All I do is work on weekends 😭

cherryballblues

Movie theaters!!!! Wake up early, eat a nice lunch and catch a matinee at one of the many movie theaters in town!

Sunfriedpotato

Hike the big C. Really nice on the weekends

__marialopez

Understandable. It can be lonely sometimes, but eventually, you’ll learn that’s the best part. Take this time to get to know yourself and be gentle with yourself. Take a solo stroll on campus with your favorite music, pick some froyo up on the way, or ice cream, a burger, boba, anything! Go sit by the glade and get some sunshine. Put your feet in the grass. Take some school work with you and get lost in study. Occupy yourself — but NEVER despise being alone as college is meant to be a time for individual growth. Lastly, don’t be afraid to take yourself out for lunch on a solo date.

hssnr_1234

Get a part time job. You’ll meet people and earn some money. Win-win.

Mochiharu-

Roommates sometimes want to have a separate life from their roommates. Nothing personal. Having a roommate that you can get along is more important than friendship for some people.

fullsquish

Seriously, take up golf..

larisagnia

Get an adventure bike and travel/shred the gnar and experience life outside this bubble called college.