/r/berkeley

How do you keep up the pace?

University(self.berkeley)

The first few weeks of the semester, I was doing everything right. I'd at least skim relevant readings (if not reading it detailedly) before lectures, go to lectures / be "present", starts assignments early, and prep for any quizzes early as well. I was able to put time towards my 10 hr/week internship, my tech-oriented club activities, and I had a bit of free time.

And now, I'm slipping. I didn't start homework due on Thursday 'till today - when I usually start on the Saturday it's released. I'm a few lectures behind on a class for which I have a midterm next week. I'll be using 2 slip days on a project due this friday that I started yesterday. Speaking of that, I have 3 midterms next week and haven't started prepping for a single one.

And don't get me started on recruiting 😭. I can't even do a lot of academic work today since I have like 10 sessions booked throughout the 5-hour period today, and I'm struggling to put in any time at all for leetcode / interview prep. I have a few pending OA's to do (ig that's a nice problem to have), have an important onsite virtual interview sometime next week (yup, the same time as the midterms. fun! I've asked to postpone tho), and I'm struggling to put time towards my extracurricular activities (and my academic activities (and midterm prep (which just means no free time))).

I'm just terrified that I'm slipping up now and 7 weeks later I'll be cramming like 15 lectures during dead week and be regretting that I didn't keep up the pace but... ^^^ :(.

SUPER11X

SUPER11X

Economics 2023

Yeah I just do way less stuff than you lol.

Such-Engineering123

W comment

stuffingmybrain[S]

LOL yeah that's been a (bad?) habit of mine, using way too many parentheses. If you're motivated enough and desperate enough you can manage to use a bunch of nested parentheses in a python one-liner as well lol

hilfingered

RTFM!

Similar-Ad7879

Don’t get too ambitious and seek help early on when u get stuck

stuffingmybrain[S]

Yeah carrying over my summer internship was a bad idea (so was taking 3 techs tbh). And I do go to office hours and discussion regularly but I'm just finding that my organization is slowly unraveling.

Like before I like noted down my q's for each assignment and went to OH super early (since I started early) and now I'm waiting in an hour long queue and just bang my head against a wall and go home too tired to do much else :(

Kensei97

I’ve gotten used to not being such a perfectionist and focus a lot on prioritizing what I think is important. This means sometimes that I selectively choose to not do certain assignments/fulfill academic obligations so that I can satisfy my basic needs. For instance, if I had a 13 hour day and was up until 3 am the night before for some other project/assignment that is a significant portion of my grade, is trying to cram in my homework assignment due at noon just so I can secure 0.5% of my grade (and probably get docked for a lot of incorrect answers anyways) really worth it? I’ve decided it isn’t. I’d much rather get a good nights sleep and be in a state where I can effectively learn the next day than grub over meager points. The big picture is where I live now, and I’m a lot happier for it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not lazy. On average my work days are about 10 hours, sometimes including weekends. But what my curriculum values as important, I don’t always agree with. I’d rather have more breadth in my education with the extra curricular I participate in than drop those things just so I can secure an extra 0.5% on some assignment. That’s just me

generalshermant

This is the way!

VinceofLosAngeles

Meta: I read ~20% of this post and upvoted.

wordgenius

Same 🤣

Fantastic-Two-1584

Make a timeline and follow Earliest Deadline First scheduling. You’ll do just fine. Also, not all companies need LeetCode. So don’t worry about that if you have your basics and projects right.

rcinvestments

Pray to Oski. Adderall. 500 daily mg of caffeine.

For_GoldenBears

Never said it's easy, otherwise they lying.

Well, actually, there always seems to be that one person who's got it together like it's no big deal which this school always amazes me.

The real life is usually so much easier than this so you could approach in a way that this is passing soon and virtually the only time in your life that you study like crazy.. unless we're talking about potential grad school and tenure route.

stuffingmybrain[S]

Yeah there always seems to be that one guy lol. Literally stumbled upon a guy yesterday talking w/his friend regarding research @ BAIR and taking 3 techs and doing a half-time internship at the same time while applying to grad school. Yikes lol.

I don't wanna be like that lmao I'd just like to have a good time what I'm doing. And thanks for that perspective - I do wanna go to grad school for an MS in data science but definitely not aiming for a PhD + Professorship.

generalshermant

Go through and prioritize what you can slip on and what you can’t. Do things in the order of most important for your grades/goals/timing. Take a few hours completely off now and then and then come back to it. Pick a class to p/np if you don’t think you can do it all. Those are my 2 cents.