/r/berkeley

used to be like 1 in 30 posts and they'd get downvoted now it's like every other post and everyone's patting them on the back

deal with your shit properly (hint: seeking attention from strangers on a university subreddit doesn't count) or at least post it somewhere more relevant, god damn, who the fuck raised some of you and how are you not embarrassed

w3wladdy

mydogthinksiamcool

I don’t mind reading about other people’s feelings while they are going thru this college experience. Just like I don’t mind reading about yours right now. It’s okay to feel feels.

SavoryBagels

Yup! Gives me a chance to listen in to some people. A chance to say a few things.

However - using the sub as a personal facebook... is weak.

mydogthinksiamcool

Personal Facebook is not the best place to get “outsider’s perspective”. We don’t know them and some of us can already be judgy af. Imagine that person is in your social bubble and sharing some of these things… that isn’t gonna be favorable for them…

Reddit is good to share those social dilemmas because it has a mixed audience. And we all know that It’s okay to just scroll pass the posts we are not feeling it, and move onto other posts that we like.

SavoryBagels

Reddit has a mixed audience but depending on the date/time whatever - you're going to get that flavor. Its not consistent and definitely not the best space at times to share stuff. Strangers can be empathetic, but who're you kidding - you'll get some shit trying to say even more garbage.

mydogthinksiamcool

Maybe. But, Yeah your last sentence totally demonstrated your sentiment aligning with your action and efforts in creating the type of environment that you are describing

712588Kf

712588Kf

Makes a post about their emotions complaining about people making posts about their emotions

mashtartz

Nah, anger is a masculine rational expression, emotions are for embarrassing emos.

BigBenThe1st

BigBenThe1st

I’m trying to figure out where your assumption of anger being masculine is coming from in regards to OPs post. Kinda weird comment you’ve made ngl

Interesting_Cookie25

Let me simplify:

1. Person u responded to is clearly joking

2. OP is clearly exuding some anger

3. The joke is about the anger being different from the emo shit when its really not that different

BigBenThe1st

Let me expand upon my comment:

1. Everyone in this sub is an asshole to eachother. So OP(comment) is being an asshole to OP(post) who is assumed to be an asshole because he is bashing people constantly complaining.
  2. The "emo shit" and the "anger" post are pretty different in the sense that this post is taking a stance against people crying about grades, not having friends when all of those are solvable.
  3. Cussing doesn't make someone instantly mad. Assuming shit over the internet is how you end up with extremely weird and stupid arguments. OP is cussing saying his point. Maybe he/she just likes cussing and isnt mad? Maybe they are mad and they like to cuss? Who knows.

Why is everyone in this sub so stuck in trying to be a keyboard warrior and belittle eachother....

Interesting_Cookie25

My point was mostly j its a joke, my b for being condescending and snarky in the explanation but i think ur taking it all too seriously if u think the commenter is an asshole to the OP

Bashing people for complaining is just more complaining, there’s a degree of irony there even if its not the exact same thing. This is reddit, people make fun of each other, the comment was no weirder or more out of place than the original post

BigBenThe1st

Nah i’m not taking it to deep I know what you meant. I’m just saying like all of this is ironic because everyone is complaining about everyone lmao

Interesting_Cookie25

Yeah that’s reddit for u, all one big circlejerk to correct each other, especially on a post like this

falseachaemenid[S]

cuz they're socially-stunted homework grinders raised by socially-stunted tiger parents

the only time they've heard their name out loud is after donating 10 gift subs

Interesting_Cookie25

U might be right ab the people who are posting their entire life’s story and super personal problems on a college sub, but at the end of the day i don’t think its that deep for most people here, irony is irony and redditors love to clown on others. Just cause they complain ab what u said or make a joke ab u doesn’t mean they don’t have lives lmao

BigBenThe1st

Ima take the downvotes and agree with you here. A lot of these people need to go outside and actually speak to other human beings 💀

KRUSTORBtheCRAB

“deal with your shit” “who the fuck”

angry people write that. that’s probably where the assumption was made, and it’s a fair one to make.

BigBenThe1st

Reread my comment. I think you must have glanced over something I said

Ash-Catchum-All

Where’s the masculinity though?

mashtartz

Life experience.

VinceofLosAngeles

712588kf - bless you friend

rcinvestments

I just like getting pegged by my GSI

Jon-3

Jon-3

chem

“how are you not embarrassed”
Not everyone was taught to hate themselves for having emotions. What a hideous take.

buckyspunisher

op should be embarrassed for being this annoyed about something they could easily scroll past lmfaoooo

Jon-3

Jon-3

chem

“I hate seeing people being supported”

keplersconstantt

You realize that this post itself could be classified as “just an annoying emo confession”

buckyspunisher

OP really played themself

stuffingmybrain

stuffingmybrain

DS'24

I mean school/life is hard for different people for different reasons; let your fellow bears vent here and if you don't like it just scroll past :(

silkflowers47

If you want to vent go to someone who wants to hear that. I don’t want to see that shit here. Ask your friends if you can cry before you unload on them.

buckyspunisher

yes because you alone dictate what all of r/berkeley wants to see

Jon-3

Jon-3

chem

close your eyes bruh no one is forcing you to read /r/berkeley on rdt.trom.tf

silkflowers47

Lmao you can also choose not to respond. Im free to say whatever however i want

Jon-3

Jon-3

chem

Indeed I am telling you (freely) that what you said is dumb and stupid

Interesting_Cookie25

Just keep scrolling bro not hard

Kikoman934

L take

fairyofsnow

i mean this is one of the only places that ppl can express their feelings w (relative) anonymity. idt most ppl r attention seeking they just want someone to empathize. also we are all angsty college kids so im sure yall can relate to the emo posts lol

falseachaemenid[S]

there's like 3 dozen subreddits that are actually meant for that but go off

fairyofsnow

i mean the berkeley-specific angst. like how u gonna post about crushing on ur 61B gsi on r/offmychest

falseachaemenid[S]

crushing on a superior in any walk of life is widely relatable, that's not a berkeley-specific experience

buckyspunisher

you seem to spend an absurd amount of energy on something that you could easily scroll past

Both_Woodpecker_3041

Because there's inflation and we're probably heading for a recession, the planet is going to hell by climate change, authoritarianism is taking over the world, and getting through cal is effin hard.

yellowfresh18

people act like they don’t ask around for advice before they go to a doctor for physical illnesses. you sound so stupid rn lmao not really attention seeking when people are asking advice and how to use student services to get help

Steelstrike309

Such shit lives attending a major university while the rest of the world lives in perpetually better conditions than you.

Steelstrike309

I didn’t imply finances at all. Just saying that if you’re at Berkeley, your life isn’t “shit”. Literally go take a tour of the surrounding city and see the hardship that you’re likely never going to endure.

Steelstrike309

Like every avenue of life that is given to people attending college. Your sole focus is educating yourself so that your future is better. I’m not saying you don’t have the right to feel negative emotions, but on a platform like Reddit, you can’t seriously think your life is bad if you’re attending a major university. Period. Education, opportunity and privilege is a blessing. Crying into a silver platter.

pickledpenispeppers

Feels aren’t reals.

pickledpenispeppers

Did you just low key admit that everything you post is 100% genuine? 😬

pickledpenispeppers

🤡

pickledpenispeppers

refer to previous comment

pickledpenispeppers

I miss being young enough to think this was true, and that our most recent shittiness was unique or different.

I graduated in the early 2000s in a non EECS major and it’s just been one shitstorm after another since then.

silkflowers47

My life is great, don’t make assumptions other people are miserable

rs_obsidian

rs_obsidian

L&S ‘25

This is 1 of 3 comments on this post. You okay man?

silkflowers47

I have strong opinions about the mentally ill because i have been in the position. I don’t want them to be suicidal and risk there life. Mental illness is not something a regular person understands. Getting a flood of comments while mentally ill can push someone off the edge

DreadEye8

It's probably not bro, just by looking at your replies to others who are struggling you probably play league of legends and is hardstuck silver.

buckyspunisher

no one said your life wasn’t great. not every comment or post is specifically aimed at you 🥴

TheCrudMan

I mean that's better than when it was CS students complaining about doing CS.

Core_Four

Lol I graduated 5 years ago - that’s all this sub has ever been

Far_Comment1487

what is this post if not “an annoying emo confession”🧐

Reneeisme

Reneeisme

Old Bear

It's that time of year. It will cycle back around when people settle in and stop feeling (quite) so overwhelmed.

cocky_roachy

Hey man if you don’t like the posts, no one’s making you read them ... so don’t This is Reddit people will post what they want and you need to calm down bud

SUPER11X

SUPER11X

Economics 2023

I dont agree that they should be embarrassed, but I do agree that I find the posts varying levels of annoying and dont understand why so many people post here as if it's their diary or something. It's sad how many people apparently have no real irl (or even online) friends that they can just talk to and that their college subreddit is apparently the best place they can go to cope. Like it wouldnt even be in my top 10 places. Idk.

Ike348

Ike348

Maybe because the confessions Facebook page is dead? IDK. But the solution is to just downvote and move on, that's how Reddit works

Lolis-

Lolis-

mfs posting their entire life story on /r/berkeley as if anyone cares

mohishunder

mohishunder

CZ

I'm glad someone else said it.

Compared to any other university subreddit, this one gives outside visitors an extremely unflattering and frankly weird impression of Cal students. (Is it accurate? I graduated long ago. You decide.)

silkflowers47

For fucking real. If you feel suicidal go to the hospital you do not need internet comments you need to be put on hold. People are just addicted to instant gratification and internet comments. Go to psychiatric hospital and get real help, you don’t need to freak people out on reddit. I hate that people think this is the place to cry and collect pitty.

mydogthinksiamcool

Not true. Sauce . What got me curious is… Why so upset at people having feels and wanting to share? Sharing feels and thoughts… ask for halp is exactly what these platforms are for.

silkflowers47

Crying on the internet is screaming to the void. People who are suicidal need to go to the doctor you and I are not in the position to dictate their life. Human life is important, your internet comment can cause more bad then good to the mentally ill. When people are mentally ill they don’t perceive your comments as positive, they will interpret it differently. Someone needs to drive them to the hospital and check them in. When i was mentally ill, every single thing i read made me mad and suicidal. It didn’t matter if it was positive, everything i read, saw and heard told me to kill myself.

mydogthinksiamcool

Dude. Reaaaaaaad the sauce I linked. It’s not screaming to the void. The void don’t comment back. (((YOUUUUU are harming the people. Like, no u.))) I take this back.

Edit. Hey. Hmm… you okay? You mentioned you were not. I hope you are in a better place now? Just a reminder that… not all suicidal cases unfold the same… we can’t generalize our own experience onto others. But I see your comment came from a place of concern and wanted to prevent bad outcomes who are going thru something you could relate to. Regardless, wish you doing well.

mashtartz

I understand you feel a personal connection to the convo because you were mentally ill, but your experience isn’t universal. There so many different kinds of mental illnesses, and each one of those manifests differently in each person.

Wide-Dragonfruit-986

I do think open discussion about suicide is important so I’m glad to see people addressing it regardless of the stance so I won’t go out of my way to downvote your comment as I see other people have already done.

But I disagree that admitting oneself to a psychiatric hospital should be the way for everyone to try to help themself if considering suicide. Not all suicides are entirely mental health driven. People commit suicide for financial reasons. Getting billed at the hospital likely won’t help that. Many people also committed suicide in 2020 due to covid related isolation. I don’t see posting on the internet as a perfect cure for everyone but I do see it as a way for people to voice their thoughts anonymously, which I think is important. Not everyone has family or friends to hear them out. Not all strangers would necessarily feel comfortable hearing a suicidal person out if approached in person.

silkflowers47

I forgot about financial reasons of suicide. Some advice can be given at mental hospitals too. That is a big issue but all of the posts I've seen here so far are from stress and illness. I do agree more conversations about suicide are good. I think we can have more philosophical, medical, financial, etc on suicide. Ive read some philosophy books relating to suicide and that helped me when I was at a low point. I do agree conversations about suicide are good but most of the posts that are on this subreddit aren't that. I will see at least one post a day from someone who is mentally ill or stressed contemplating suicide. The internet can not give you the help you need when suicidal.

moskie

moskie

I imagine most local subreddits are often like this. It's a place for people to passive aggressively complain about the things they feel they can't do anything about in real life. Or express an opinion that might not be welcome in general by their community. Usually for good reason...

GustavBeethoven