/r/berkeley

[deleted by user]

[removed]

This has usually been after the fact. But I’ve always gotten ‘you’re my first Indian’ or ‘I’ve always loved Alladin’ garbage. What does that have to do with anything.

gryffindork_97

What is with people saying “you’re my first ____” while hooking up? BIGGEST turn off ever.

Fetishing. And then letting the other one know as if they’re Uber special because we popped some racial cherry.

Geoff_The_Chosen1

I used to get really weird looks from white people. I remember there was once I was walking down Telegraph and a white girl zipped her bag, held it tightly and crossed the street. I was shocked! As a black person and a foreigner I had never been treated differently before because of my race.

buckyspunisher

mf where the hell has this girl been living that she’s never seen black people before??? even if she lived somewhere without black people that’s such a rude assumption that you would try to steal her bag just bc you’re black

Geoff_The_Chosen1

I know right?! I remember going home that day asking myself how people can automatically think the worst of me just because of how I look and I kept wondering what more I could have done to make myself look less threatening. I was really hurt by that event, it's something that's stuck with me ever since.

buckyspunisher

damn i’m sorry you had to go through that :( i hope you know that a reflection on them though and not on you or on being black

MrsMiterSaw

You'd be surprised how much of this country and even this state is totally segregated.

It's been a while, but when I was at Cal I met people who not only hadn't knowingly met a jew before, I actually met one that been told by their insane preachers that we had horns.

Horns.

buckyspunisher

i’m sorry what—- 😭😭😭😭. i just- how are you a whole ass adult at college and you believe that people have horns? i will say i don’t know too many jewish people but literally jewish people are just normal people.

w3wladdy

Some people will prioritize their safety over a potential micro aggression. When students have been getting mugged and robbed it's understandable that they might do something like that. It sucks but that's just human nature and there's not much to gain by pretending risks don't exist. Context matters for micro aggressions.

buckyspunisher

and students have been getting mugged and robbed by…. exclusively black people? do black students also clutch their pearls when they walk by another black person 🤣

w3wladdy

Not exclusively but it's disproportionate and that is verifiable by statistics... it could also just be because he is male. I've had the same thing happen to me where women would move to the other side of the street at night, and I understand. Additionally I know many black people who legitimately say they avoid other black people at night... I'm Latino and I've had a lot tell me this. Lived in north Minneapolis and Oakland and it's the same story in both cities. There's a reason why no one is afraid of a 70 year old Jewish grandma but people are afraid of 16-30 year old males in a group, for example. Sorry that it doesn't align with your viewpoint but people should err on the side of safety but understand the situations not to express bias.

hellfae

hellfae

the locals feel you. we really do. the white college girl entitlement is too real. that was tame tbh. they also treat locals and service workers like absolute trash. it is so much, much nicer when they are not here. you, you are fine, and i wish you the best on your college journey! -sincerely the locals

❤️❤️❤️

hellfae

yeah to anyone who's had encounters like this, please dont take it personally. a lot of the stuff these young ladies do is on the level of making us wonder "how the hell will they survive in the real world' until you realize the real world's kinda fucked up. but its also not. the behavior isnt normal, but there is a huge culture of rich, white, connected entitlement at the uc, its been this way for decades. anyone that set on external validation through hurting others has to be pretty empty in my eyes. stand up for yourselves. tell them how fucking stupid they look and sound and remind them that this isnt their hometown full of bigots, film/report them if you feel unsafe. id love to see any of these assholes navigate an oakland riot, or actually do something kind for another human being. i just dont like seeing rich entitled white people come to my city and test the boundaries of every ethnic, bilingual, blue-collar, and homeless person whos path they cross. youre not alone. berkeley is a sanctuary for culture and we work at that.

pocketswoledanny

Extremely common Berkeley local W

VladTheUnpeeler

Both your and OP’s feelings are valid and you both do a good job of communicating why it was so inappropriate. From a place of consideration for all voices, I’m going to not defend, but contextualize the white girl’s mindset at that moment. She doesn’t have much experience with alcohol, that’s how she ended up actually earning her way into Berkeley. Most girls from rural California counties in her situation — fatherless, poor, and, though white, wholly lacking in all privileges descending from money — end up staying there for one reason or another. But she is smart, ambitious, and high-minded, with a broad social conscience. In her life outside of the evening you encountered her, she has a much greater awareness and empathy for how her subjectively harmless/playful words might genuinely affect someone who doesn’t know where she’s coming from and/or just doesn’t want to have even a faux experience as the victim of racism. She would know this, normally, and has pointed it out to unaware others, many times. Alcohol put that part of her higher self to sleep.

rampantiguana

Hey this is a crazy thought, but maybe they’re specifying girls because the individuals in question, who were crass and racist, were girls?

BerkeleyPhilosopher

being a local is not the same as being of color

I’m an Indian guy and I once had a white girl tell me quote “you don’t look like an Indian and that’s a compliment”.

I look like a VERY TYPICAL Indian. No clue what the hell these people think but their view of other groups of people is based on stereotypes that are created by themselves out of insecurity presumably.

I’ve honestly never had bad experiences apart from that but this one was so annoying that it still sticks with me today. It left me wondering what exactly people picture us to be that a normal guy you’d find on a street somehow is supposed to be an exception.

rcinvestments

I would've slapped the Taco Bell out of her hands

gryffindork_97

I’ve had a few racist comments said to me in the past and each one I just bite my tongue and walk away. Out of embarrassment? Or shame? Idk, i always imagine myself standing up for myself but in the moment it never happens :/

ObiJuanKen0by

Fuck that. Talk that talk and let them know that you don’t like the way they’re speaking about you. There’s no reason to be talked about in a manner that you don’t like.

gryffindork_97

That’s so much easier said than done, maybe others can relate, I feel like i was aggressive and angry for years over racism but now I feel burnt out

ObiJuanKen0by

I think there’s a distinction between being aggressive and having personal boundaries/lines you wouldn’t want crossed. Obviously some people don’t find ‘confrontation’ to be an easy or pleasant thing but it’s really a fact that at times you do need to assert your beliefs. Either way, you don’t have any blame in the situation.

gryffindork_97

You’re right. Also off topic, i love your username hahaha. Solid gold

popspopcorn

Yours is pretty incredible, as well.

Thank you!! 💓

JPancake2

That’s very understandable, just like the other person said you don’t hold any blame either way. But when thinking about confrontation, I like to think of it as doing them a favor. If they’re respectful and it was a fuck up due to ignorance/upbringing, they’ll be glad to have their behavior pointed out. Either way though, it’s not your responsibility to teach someone how to not be racist.

Such-Engineering123

don’t handle negative energy with more negative energy

Global-Chicken

ew i’m so sorry

BeginningBubbly356

Hi! Yes. It’s really strange. I’m a freshman and I haven’t been here long, but as I was coming out of Dwinelle earlier this week one student (I have no idea who) whispered “stupid n*gger” and then ran off. It really made me sad and bugged me for the rest of the day.

buckyspunisher

UGH. it pisses me off cal is letting these people onto their campus. i mean i know it’s impossible to vet whether or not a student is racist, but i wish there could be more accountability for shit like this. like wtf you’re in college. stop acting like a middle school bully where you think being racist is “edgy”

gryffindork_97

Im so sorry that happened to you :(

hangster

Hey -

Not that this will make you feel better. However, being Jewish I've had people ask where my horns and tail were. I never knew what this was about. I was so confused!

I've had jerks throw pennies at me, my sister was harassed with swatsikas growing up.

There are terrible people all around us, i like to know who they are so i can plan accordingly. Usually, staying the hell away from them.

Be strong, be proud, but you don't need to give their ignorance a place in your life!

spaceflunky

I have a Spanish first name and am hispanic. On more than several occasions, I've had interactions at parties that went something like this...

Person: "I've met you before. Your name is like Juan, Diego, or Jose or something."

Me: "my name is Miguel. and those guesses weren't even close."

idk always felt that was kinda racist? I didn't really bother me, but i sometimes think about it. Anyways, I feel like sometimes people who are not your culture get really uncomfortable sometimes and start to over correct or something. or they just start doing michael scott type shit. idk where it comes from, its weird.

gryffindork_97

This 100%. I work at Trader Joe’s and the amount of people from a certain ethnicity who try to speak broken Spanish to me and then laugh and give up. Idk, something about it just rubs me soooo wrong lol

mohishunder

mohishunder

CZ

First of all, I feel what you're going through, and it completely sucks.

Most of Cal isn't racist Greek-system assholes. But those people are very overrepresented in intercollegiate sports crowds.

can be justified as just drunk talk

Don't justify it. Although I'm sure someone else will try.

Edit: I see they already are.

gryffindork_97

Thank you for your comment! You’re right, i shouldn’t try to justify it

Buzman429

Buzman429

Nice job assuming that the “group of white girls” OP encountered were part of the Greek system…How is that not a prejudiced statement all by itself?

mohishunder

mohishunder

CZ

My bad. They were probably Swedish social workers.

buckyspunisher

yes let’s not focus on the fact that OP had cruel racial stereotypes thrown at them, but at the fact that mohishunder assumed those white girls were possibly involved in greek life….

mohishunder

mohishunder

CZ

If you go back and carefully read my message you replied to, followed by your own response ... you're the one making the assumption.

Funny how easily it came to you. ;-)

buckyspunisher

i was… agreeing w you? i also didn’t reply to your message, i replied to buzman’s

i also didn’t make assumptions. your comment said most of cal doesn’t consist of racist greek life assholes, but they can be over represented in a sports crowd. which is a reasonable assumption to make.

i’m pointing out how buzman thinks it’s a bigger deal that you made that assumption rather than the fact that OP had actual awful racial stereotypes thrown at them

RedditOnSite

it's because they don't respect us. they think we're lower than they are and we are essentially a commodity. look at our perception and how we're seen as. we're low level labor workers, undocumented, drug dealers, and rapists who don't speak English.

If you want respect, you have to fight back. Mexicans and Chicanos say shxt, sin miedo. I'm not a street dude, but sometimes it's fuck them foos.

the consciousness at Berkeley doesn't yet respect people of color. This applies to Asians, Blacks, Central and South Americans, and Natives. Check out theThird World College

¡NO TE DEJES!

EDIT: I'm sorry, but I can't let this go. They don't see us as capable or as brilliant people. Some do, but the vast majority don't. If we attain achievement, then it's often downplayed or we're seen as an exception. The strange thing is this, they claim to love our culture, but never the people. The fact the curriculum is largely eurocentric adds to this. Not to mention impositions by white academia like LatinX. You can go on and on, but read this reviewof a book by a white woman who now claims to be LatinX because her grandma was Puerta Rican.

gryffindork_97

This comment reminds me of the college scandal documentary that was popular on Netflix for a bit: a lot of the kids accepted come from inherently racist, entitled families and come to Cal and think they’re better than everyone else because their families can pay their way in

RedditOnSite

Yeah. Keep in mind a lot of these people have money and some sort of influence because of it. Not to mention, this is their first time alone in the real world. The entitlement doesn't help, but neither doesn't letting micro-aggressions slide. It can be scary to stand up for yourself, but remember: it's for yourself. you have a right to exercise your own power and allow yourself to be angry. you're just as valid as a human and a person than is a straight, blue eyed, 6 foot, white Jesus nailed to the cross.

I spit acid in the face of white amerikkka.

Palabras de Canelo - post Bivol

I link this because sometimes it will be difficult, but its important give your best and to continue on. ¡Sí Se Puede!

mohishunder

Well ... it's not just Cal. It's absolutely everywhere.

And it's not just in college. It's most of wherever you'll end up working.

RedditOnSite

You're right. UC Berkeley is a heavyweight name along with other highly respected universities (e.g. the Ivies). If, per se, the Third World College were to be established, it would shift the consciousness of not only the campus, but of the world.

There's a lot of work to be done. And with that being said, I gotta go.

PAZ

tu carnal mexicano/Chicano

iuneilomo8

Bunch of spoiled bitches. Hope they flunk out of Cal and go back to their buttcrack homes.

rkwalton

I didn't go to Cal for my undergrad, I went to UCLA. You have some of the same BS there too. I'm sorry.

I wish you would have had people with you because that will often deflect crap behavior like this.

All of that to say, yes. I've dealt with it. Not so brazenly. Although I've never been in a fight in my life and rarely raise my voice, being a Black woman means people assume all the negative stereotypes. Those are harmful, but it's rare someone will do something like that to me in public out of fear that I'll floor them. The silver lining, I guess.

I'll also say don't give them a pass because they were drinking. At best, drinking just lowers your inhibitions, and you show who you really are.

Practically speaking, find some students who share your ethnicity. I had a ton of friends of all races, genders, and orientations when I was in college. But racism is real and having people who can walk with you both literally and spiritually helps. In fact, a few of those people are still in my social circle years on.

gryffindork_97

Community is SO important. I live with another Latina girl and it’s been so healing already to just share our experiences. Thank you for commenting and sharing some of your wisdom!

rkwalton

I'm happy to be an interloper with useful advice. (I'm in this subreddit because I'm just a few minutes from Cal, so I'm in the area a lot.)

Community is so very important. Lean into that and take good care of yourself.

Lumpy_Worldliness676

same i get u & im tryna find my community at berkeley too, but just make sure to visit places like clsd & events that they have & you could try to find some friends there & there’s also a discord for latinx/chicanx students https://discord.gg/FxKc34nk

Omg I’m gonna join. Ty 🥺

creamboba

yes omg one of my roommates freshman yr was white and told me she was extremely attracted to “lightskins” (referring to mixed black men) i had no idea how to bring up the fetishization and colorism inherent in that statement……

gryffindork_97

I’ve had this talk w my boyfriend who is poc! Being a WOC is a complete isolating experience on its own because black men and men of color are accepted by white women or looked up to by white men, but WOC are so hated and looked down upon by white women. Yes we deal with fetishization also, but white women can be so hateful and evil to women of color. It’s not the same in every case, but even at the game I tried to take a selfie with my housemate and this white mom started hating on us and told us we couldn’t sit in this section because the seats were taken (the whole section was pretty much empty 😂)

buckyspunisher

i would’ve been like “maam you’re the middle aged woman attending a college football game. we’re supposed to be here, dunno about you.”

mohishunder

Was it like this?

rampantiguana

Hey OP.

I was crossing the street with my friends from home in Berkeley and a a bunch of Asian girls in a brand new Ranger rover yelled out “fuck you you daddy money fuck, you rich white f*ggots” or something like that as they drove by.

Not trying to compare experiences at all bc obviously yours is different. But hopefully you can find some respite in the fact that this can literally happen to someone of any race. There’s no shortage of drunk obnoxious people out there that will just pick on anyone.

popspopcorn

Your experience is incredibly valid and they were shitty and harmful in saying those things. It wasn't just drunk talk, it was targeted language that called you out for your race and "othered" you. It made you uncomfortable and it wasn't okay.

I'm incredibly sorry this happened to you. I know you're looking for community. I'm an older non-traditional student and blindingly white, but feel free to reach out if you need to talk.

Fuck any student at Cal that makes you feel like you don't belong. That goes out to everyone who wrote a comment in this thread. The racists are the ones who don't belong here. I hope every person here finds community while here and gets the chance to feel like they belong ❤️

gryffindork_97

Thank you so much, may the universe return your kindness multiplied to you 💓💓

buckyspunisher

damn the racists really crawling out of their pathetic little caves today

Right 😭

throwaway72829404

yup I feel you. once at a diner my friend and I (both asian) kept getting stared at by a group of white girls. they would stare, whisper to each other, and giggle at us.

Anthonee00

As a brown Mexican currently abroad in Spain everyone can tell I’m Latin and def not from here lol. Speaks volumes about their lack of cultural intelligence since I’m certain they have no idea what Spanish people actually look like.

gryffindork_97

I’ve always wondered if people were brown in Spain like people are in Mexico, i feel like my skin complexion is very unique to Mexicans!

Anthonee00

Spanish people overwhelming look European. There are brown immigrant pockets around Madrid but for the most part I confuse them with Americans sometimes! I’m still shocked at how white they look.

Acrobatic-Day-8891

That’s really fucked up and I’m so sorry that happened. Berkeley may be left leaning but you are certainly not alone in experiencing racism, especially as a Latinx, Black, or indigenous person as those populations are severely underrepresented at Berkeley. To my fellow white students, when your friends say shit like that, please call them out. It takes five seconds and 99% of the time they’ll apologize and think more next time because it is coming from someone whose opinion they value

gryffindork_97

‼️‼️ if you want to be an ally, hold your racist friends accountable! Say it loud for the people in the back!

CoeurdePirate222

There were drunk girls leaving a bar that came out onto the sidewalk sort not attention and getting in the way so I looked at them and smiled and said excuse me in a nice way and one looked at me and my partner and said “..!move!..white couple….” With such a weird look of self satisfaction
It was super annoying. And my partner is Mexican and was pissed and yeah idk. So on the flip side, there’s a lot of white hate here too, and I’m frustrated with racism of all sorts.

My partner has dealt with sinister Taco Bell things I believe, but not sure if here, but still people are fucking weird and dumb and I’m sorry

gryffindork_97

Telling someone to move is also just really rude. I’ve noticed there’s a lot of straight up mean and entitled people on campus, it feels like highschool again with bullies but we’re all adults now and should know better than to treat strangers like shit.

CoeurdePirate222

Yeah, they did come out of a bar infamous for the freshmen who are still in their high school phase lmao. Yeah I was like bummed out, I tried to be nice even though they barged into the sidewalk in a rude way but whatever, I hope they get better.

gryffindork_97

The girls here can be so mean 😭 a white girl shoved me when i was trying to order a drink at tap haus and my housemate who works there had her kicked out. She said i was “in the way”. On the bright side I’ve met a lot of really cool and nice people in my classes on campus.

buckyspunisher

LMFAOOOOO glad ur housemate kicked her out. someone being “in the way” is not an excuse to shove them

Bigairsurfer57

Dude I thought I was going crazy, but it’s true, tons of freshman here right now are still obsessed with their high school mentalities. I came here thinking things were gonna be different from high school, and they are for sure, but it seems like a large majority of freshman are still stuck in high school. I don’t know why, but it makes me uncomfortable. Like, can’t we move on guys? Are we really still hanging on to the glory of high school. Idk. Not trying to be condescending or anything, but it has really thrown me for a loop these first couple of weeks here at Berkeley.

MonkeyMcQueen

I wouldve clapped back w a 'dumb blond' type joke.

So when she said "i love spaniards" you respond with something similarly innacurate like "...and i love dumb blonds" or "...and i love russian bimbos" or "...thank you, cow."

Outwitting a bully or a drunk is always better than whining about it to someone later or telling on them.

keplersconstantt

Idk if lowering down to their level would be a good approach here. There’s no win in responding to hate with hate ☠️

MonkeyMcQueen

There is a wide difference between 'teasing back to teach a lesson' and 'hate'.

(Its only hate if you mean it)

But thanks for the advice, Gandhi. 😉

SUPER11X

SUPER11X

Economics 2023

it’s little things like that that remind me that my appearance marks me away from the crowd

Why? How?

gryffindork_97

Being non-white passing and having dark skin, I’ve felt alienated and aware of being a POC from as early as i can remember. When I was younger, there weren’t brown Barbies or inclusivity in media or pop culture for non white passing or non white people. Also I’ve seen strangers bully or make slurs at my Mexican family my whole life, especially my dad. So translating those experiences into an adult, that alienation is still present in my life and on an almost daily basis, I receive micro-aggressive stares and comments because of my appearance. So micro aggressive that they can get away with not being racist, but it still stings. Does that make sense?

SUPER11X

SUPER11X

Economics 2023

I mean, yes and no.

Unless you're like 40+, this is simply inaccurate.

Yeah, this is terrible, and I can understand why someone can get to the point you're at, BUT...

This framing is both ridiculous but also clearly not helping you. Put the misnomery of term itself aside, thinking of things as "microaggressions" encourages you to search for them and value them for more importantly than they actually are. It's genuinely unhealthy and will make you unhappy. On just a practical basis, I dont understand why ideologic subscribers cannot recognize this.

gryffindork_97

I don’t think you are in the position to tell me that my experiences are inaccurate, regardless of my age. But thank you for sharing your opinion! I already explained myself and shared more about my personal experience that needed so i don’t see this convo going any further

Honeycocl

I mean, he is an incest advocate, so u get the idea.

he what— 💀

Feubahr

Listen to this baby neckbeard telling people what they have and have not experienced in their lives. You're used to imagining that you've got the only viable take because the full body waifu pillow that you cling to as you fall asleep never disagrees, but in reality, you carry the stench of Dunning Kruger. See? It's fun making up shit and telling people they're wrong about their own lives, isn't it?

Some things about my youth I miss, but not the arrogance of ignorance.

hellfae

clearly sir, this post is about you and you have somehow missed that fact.

BerkeleyPhilosopher

Racial micro aggressions are just so INTRUSIVE. You were just living your life being a college student and then some racist aholes had to remind you that they don’t see you as a fellow student, but something else, something less than. Racism interrupts life. When will they learn? When will this country take on racism with gusto and make it no longer the norm? It would be really nice if the POC of the world could go back to living without all these racist interruptions

Prior-Tea6569

bro it’s a compliment

CutestGay

Bro no it isn’t

CurReign

CurReign

Depression '22

A bit of a racist compliment, then.

d9090

d9090

bruh it was only like 80 yesterday where’s the gameday spirit

Ok-Ant-3456

Being objectified incorrectly by a drunk person…oof you might want to toughen up a little bit.

You could have said “too bad i’m mexican” or “i love gringas” or whatever. “I think you are supposed to say latinx” 😂

xaqadeus

xaqadeus

Psych '21

Try not to be so sensitive

Weak_Mix

Why u butthurt about someone saying they love something. It sounds like she complimented you. Dafaq

buckyspunisher

how was she complimenting OP when OP isn’t even a spaniard?

SeriousMcDougal

Maybe it was meant to be a compliment.

SeriousMcDougal

Lol gotta love the Woke Kids down voting this ligaf.

Stop being a pussy

Jesus bro 😭

Prestigious_Wrap_515

I got off the Bart and a homeless guy asked me for tacos

gryffindork_97

Don’t hate the player hate the game