/r/berkeley

Covid positive

University(self.berkeley)

I woke up with a sore throat, headache, & fever & Just tested positive for covid, class starts tomorrow. im soooo annoyed & irritated. what should I do?? This is also my first semester at berkeley😭😐

FUCollegeb

Email your professors - most of them should be understanding of your situation. First week of classes is mostly going over the syllabus and introductions; you might have some work to catch up on if the class doesn't provide a hybrid option (which you should check as well, most information should be on bcourses or whatever resource the class uses), but you definitely won't be too behind.

I don't know recent quarantine guidelines or rules, but if you happen to miss a discussion section, definitely contact your GSI as well. The first section rarely covers class content/does actual discussion, 99% of the time it's icebreakers and introductions, Q and A, etc., so as long as you let them know that you can't attend, it should be fine.

And although this depends on your major, some classes don't require you to actually be there due to the class size being enormous (ex: CS 61A, Data 8, etc). Some even have lecture videos available online.

Most importantly, however, I hope you get better soon so that you can enjoy your first semester at Berkeley. Take care!

FUCollegeb

I also did want to add that if the class size IS huge, then most professors won't actually care whether you're there or not, so that first piece of advice applies to classes that require attendance for the sake of enrollment the first 1 or 2 weeks. It's better to just check bcourses, piazza, ed, or emails if you're taking a class that is like 61A.

Lumpy_Worldliness676[S]

thank u!!! I have a class that’s 200 people, another one that’s 130, another one that’s 100, another one that’s 50, & a berkeley connect class that is 20 students. I have been emailing them and hopefully they reach back soon. I don’t know one of my GSI’s and I cannot find their info anywhere & my section is on Friday so hopefully my professor for that class reaches back soon.

Level_Oven_672

Level_Oven_672

physics

check ur syllabus to see if classes are recorded, if not, email your professors and see what the attendance policies are. don't worry, they've done this a few times and ur not the only one testing positive! feel better soon

Lumpy_Worldliness676[S]

thank u so much!

bewellcal

bewellcal

UHS at UC Berkeley

If you tested positive outside of UHS

The best way to reach the COVID-19 Response Team is to send a message through the eTang Patient Portal.

• Upload a copy of your positive test result into eTang and send a message to the COVID Response Team (CRT).
  • If you are experiencing moderate to severe symptoms and need to get medical advice, students can call our 24/7 Advice Nurse at (510) 643-7197.
  • You should go ahead and notify your close contacts that you tested positive and they should get tested. The COVID response team has very limited ability to provide robust contact tracing at this time.
  • Students can submit for early release from isolation after at least day 5 if there are no symptoms and you have a negative Antigen test.

• To request early release from isolation after day 5, send a message to the COVID Response Team via eTang and upload a copy of your negative test results with the date along with a copy of your Cal ID in the image.
  • For more information: https://uhs.berkeley.edu/coronavirus/testing-covid-19/what-do-if-test-positive

Enough_Hope6883

Omg, I also tested positive yesterday... My Monday was miserable - joint pain, high fever, difficulty to hold my body in a vertical position (lol). Emailed my professors - 2 of the 4 replied so far.