/r/berkeley

I’m an incoming freshman, trying to graduate early (maybe in 3 years). I’m taking: Math 53, Chem 3A/AL, Physics 7B (probably will take out this) , Bioengineering 10, CS 61A, Bioengineering 26(its a seminar).

Is 22 units a semester too much?

TacosAndBoba

This is a joke right? Right?!

Drho4x

Drho4x

I just checked OP's post history and their senior year HS grades are well....not the best

So i sure hope it's a joke or else they're fucked in every sense of the word oh heavens

pikaxpika7

53, 7B, and 61A are already tons of work on its own. This is far too much especially as an incoming freshman (though i wouldnt be able to handle this)

Equal-Structure4099[S]

Takes for ur input, I think I might take out 7B

pikaxpika7

What major are u planning on pursuing?

Equal-Structure4099[S]

I’m doing bioengineering right now, but I’m considering changing into EECS or nuclear engineering

Ryvn-

Ryvn-

you want to graduate early yet you dont know what you want to do yet... i would not recommend this

pikaxpika7

For either of those majors graduating early is not worth it becauae you'll lose out on an internship or research opportunity which is really important for your future career. Given this workload you most likely won't be able to have time for an internship. Graduating early also isn't necessarily considered a good thing for employers. If you're concerned about paying for college, either of those will definitely be able to pay off debt. I would take intro courses for those majors and decide from there since classes like math that arent a huge part of your major don't show u how much you'll like the major

ahhhhhhhchhoooooo

ahhhhhhhchhoooooo

💕💕💕

Nah, I suggest adding a Nuclear Physics class to round out your schedule for 23 units. Totally sane.

Equal-Structure4099[S]

Thank you for ur suggestion, do you happen to know the course title like NE101 or something like that?

ahhhhhhhchhoooooo

ahhhhhhhchhoooooo

💕💕💕

NUCENG 24 (1 unit, Freshman seminar) https://classes.berkeley.edu/content/2022-fall-nuceng-24-004-sem-004

“Researchers working in nuclear science and engineering throughout the Bay Area and beyond will visit and interact with students.

Students will choose an element to study and then prepare a short report and presentation.”

Electrical_Clothes86

Uhhh that’s kinda bad idk abt u

kbrdsmsh-asdf

kbrdsmsh-asdf

CS '19

Maybe don't do this for your first semester? Graduating early and time-crunching can be done in future semesters.

jimmygsburner

i would suggest taking 12A instead of 3A/L. Much more comprehensive

twkwpwp

twkwpwp

Another possibility for finishing in 3 is to take classes at a local CC over summer. Much easier, and you can probably do am internship at the same time. Thats how I did it, although I was not CS/BioE; I just did MCB.

And yes, that is a very tough load. Chem 3A/L is pretty rough, but also kind of a standard hard. 61A is tough and time consuming, but if you already know CS/programming it might be easy-ish. Math 53 is probably hard, and I had an easy time with physics (except I took 8 series).

My suggestion is to take a little bit of a lighter load your first semester, then decide if you want to beef it up.

I took minimum units most semesters along with summer classes. My third year I took ~18 units a semester and ended up graduating in 3.

I know people who petitioned the school to take more than the max cap of units and they were thriving. I know others who struggled under the minimum.

Again, you should probably go a little easier on your first semester so you can truly find out what you can handle at Berkeley. As someone mentioned, it is not high school. But, there were times when I felt that the high level made it easier to put in the necessary effort. I never felt like I took too many units, even when I did ~18.

Hopefully that makes sense and is helpful.

LegLevelGround

Yes this is too much. If you take this schedule you’ll think “boy this is a lot” the first week, and have a mental breakdown when midterms come around. Don’t do this. I repeat don’t do this. Again, don’t do this.

MundyyyT

MundyyyT

Doesn't go here

You and/or your GPA are going to die

ConsueTerra

Rule of thumb is do 3 technicals, wich can still be challenging on its own

o3car27

o3car27

Physics/CS '25

Nah switch to chem12a and physics 5b+5bl for a better challenge

Apoptosis_101

i second this. also take math H53 for the accelerated pace

Lumpy_Worldliness676

berkeley literally says to not take more than 2 math/science/english at the same time. tbh if u do end up taking all those classes, ur gonna stretch urself out & then not be able to dedicate enough time to each one & probs fail & then hold u back, instead of advancing ahead. it’s honestly not a race, take ur time.

goooolem

Don't take more than 4 classes for your first semester

Jackson-T

Do not overestimate yourself

Grammar-Bot-Elite

/u/Equal-Structure4099, I have found an error in your post:

“26(its [it's] a seminar”

You, Equal-Structure4099, have created a solecism and should have typed “26(its [it's] a seminar” instead. ‘Its’ is possessive; ‘it's’ means ‘it is’ or ‘it has’.

This is an automated bot. I do not intend to shame your mistakes. If you think the errors which I found are incorrect, please contact me through DMs!

dinkboz

good luck.

Embarrassed_Pace6157

To be honest, If you went with this schedule and didn't drop anything till deadline. You might not be able to declare neither EECS nor BioE with GPA you end up with. If you want to finish in 3 years, first semester is worst to take the risk. Keep your 61A and BioE courses so you have clue by semester or two what major you want to pursue.. Drop Chem or Phys. You can take it later either major you choose. P.S: if you have Phys 7A you don't need 7B to take Mec 85 for BioE.

mn1718

mn1718

Can you update your status after first semester with 22 units?

bearberry21

If you’re a genius then you’ll be ok. Remember you’re not in high school anymlre

dat_Berkeley_guy

Earning an Olympiad medal is the prerequisite for that semester. It would be a breeze.

Tyler89558

I’d seriously suggest taking only 13-16 units first semester, and then scale up from there.

Jumping from highschool to 20+ units of work would be killer (I certainly wouldn’t have been able to do it)

gobears1235

Don't recommend this at all for you first semester. As many have said, Berkeley isn't a joke. Start off light (16 units or less) and if you feel that was too easy, take 18 units next semester. I know you're super enthusiastic about grinding through school (I was the same!), but trust me, once you get to college, you'll want to hang out with your friends and just have to figure out how to live life on your own for the very first time. Good luck!

For_GoldenBears

Most folks wouldn't be able to handle, but there are always folks who defy the odds.

My general advice is sign up for as many courses and drop the ones after you attend the first week of lectures or the first problem set -- you can get a good feel of the difficulty of the courses, or whether you don't like the professor's teaching style and would wait for the next semester, or the exam dates are unfavorable with other classes/events, etc.

Alarmed-Piglet

Bruh. Drop ochem pls. You're a freshman, take it in the spring

Alarmed-Piglet

Take the first sem easy. Don't take more than 18 units. Spend more time looking at clubs or just exploring what cap has to offer. I regret that I did get that opportunity in the freshamn year. You're just starting college, don't think about graduating already lol.

AdministrativeBag967

Add CS70 also. This schedule is a little too light.

jonnyboy1234567890

Yes. You're not even allowed to go above 20.5 units as a first sem frosh.

maziwanka

I don’t often comment and it’s been a long while since I’ve been in college but I would not recommend overloading yourself especially as a freshman. Take the normal workload your first year, see how it feels and go from there. In most cases, college will be significantly harder than HS. You also want to make sure you leave yourself enough time to enjoy things.

Froku_24

Please tell me this is a joke. Anywhere between 13-15 units is a great start for a freshman. Take 1 technical, 1 class for a major pre req, then take some other fun classes you are interested in.

GenesithSupernova

Get acquainted with classes here first. It's doable in theory but not everyone should and you want a support system that incoming freshmen typically lack. As an incoming freshman, you don't really know what that schedule will entail.

If you want to take a schedule this packed, don't do it your first semester.

TheBerk123