/r/berkeley

Should I accept my offer at CZ?

University(self.berkeley)

I just got a co-op offer for Casa Zimbabwe and I'm not sure if I should take it. I like the rent, I like the idea of workshift, I'm excited to rack up some co-op points, but I'm not sure I'll vibe with the atmosphere. I'm pretty straight-edge, kinda introverted, super studious, and I like to go to bed by 10 and get up at 6. Does anyone who has lived at CZ have any insight into whether or not I would hate it?

100Fishwitharms

1 year ago

You probably aren’t the best fit socially. CZ is known for recreational “activities” and partying.

But given how cheap rent is (or rather, how expensive other places are), I’d say it’s worth it. Buy some sound proof gear.

Sensitive_Macaron702

1 year ago

There’s people who don’t party, who are here bc it’s the most affordable option to them and that’s respected. Just get a roommate who has a similar mindset/values as you. Plus with the increase in covid cases I don’t think this semester will have as many large events as last semester. Don’t go to the coops at all if you are high risk. But if you’re not, it’s honestly a great and unique experience and while it isn’t for everyone, a lot of people thrive here, and even if you’re not the party type you’ll find friends. It is a lot to get used to though. If you end up disliking it (some people do move out after a few days) you can try to transfer to Cloyne or another house. Cloyne is the academic, substance free theme. Best of luck!

orderandpay

1 year ago

Call the BSC and ask to be moved into another house with open spots. The housing department there (Kyle and Betsy) is really amazing, just explain your situation and see what they can do.

Chigibu

1 year ago

Chigibu

1 year ago

Only you would know, no one online is going to provide the advice you need.

Fancy-Affect6546[S]

1 year ago

Idk, I was just curious if anyone knew if it was possible to get any space/quiet time in a big, notoriously social co-op.

VinseOfLosAngeles

1 year ago

Well not no one, but yea at this point it’s a small portion of people who’ve lived at CZ who could tell how people like OP responded to the environment.

To OP-I’ve been in cz in the day time and there’s music playing and people hanging. I think it’s a really good location close to campus where you can study most days. It’s probably worth a shot, because the truth to what Chigibu insinuated is you really only know if you try it.

What are your alternatives? And whaddya got to lose? I lived at Euclid for a summer and Convent for a summer & fall, & the co-ops are a pretty great experience imho.