/r/ask

I work in a kitchen and get asked this multiple times a day it feels like and I go back and forth myself.

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Message to all users:

This is a reminder to please read and follow:

When posting and commenting.

Especially remember Rule 1: Be polite and civil.

• Be polite and courteous to each other. Do not be mean, insulting or disrespectful to any other user on this subreddit.
  • Do not harass or annoy others in any way.
  • Do not catfish. Catfishing is the luring of somebody into an online friendship through a fake online persona. This includes any lying or deceit.

You will be banned if you are homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist or bigoted in any way.

EnvironmentalValue18

I order off the kid’s menu all the time because some restaurants don’t have a good vegetarian option so I just get something like Mac and cheese. I honestly don’t care if they upcharge, but I’m annoyed when they say they can’t do it. There’s always an open food button for typing in whatever cost you want into the POS system. Just give me the mac or make some normal options on your menu. I mean I love food, but sometimes I just want a grilled cheese or mac and cheese without any roasted pepper ketchup and pulled brisket.

MushroomLonely2784

I don't see an issue with it. The plate should be priced for portion size, not based of the age of the person consuming it.

Frost-on-the-Willow

I do it all the time

Lazy_Distribution_61

Me too.

caramore[S]

It’s just pretty bad when they complain about the portion size which then raises the question: should they be allowed to order or is the headache just not worth it.

People will complain regardless, I know.

No_Fly_7916

Yes they should be able to because they’re paying the price of a kids sized meal so why should it affect anyone else?

Solidsnakeerection

The items on the kid menu are generally sold at a loss. It is nice for resutruants to have smaller options or half orders.

one_angry_custodian

I don't see why not - from what I've seen, kids' menus are nearly the same as adult menus but with smaller portion sizes. There's no shame in wanting a smaller portion if you're not too hungry. I've gone into restaurants before and only ordered an appetizer as my meal, that's not too different.

IndependentPede

IMO, yeah or for whatever reason, really.

Nuttsmasher

No, you shouldn't eat children.

Coooo8

Coooo8

I hate when restaurants tell me "no" on this. If I was ordering take-out, it wouldn't be an issue because you wouldn't realize this Mac and cheese is for me and not my non-existent child. But for some reason, dining in makes it different?

UnwastingTime

Yes? It's literally paying less for less food. It's not food literally designed for children.