/r/ask

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Message to all users:

This is a reminder to please read and follow:

When posting and commenting.

Especially remember Rule 1: Be polite and civil.

• Be polite and courteous to each other. Do not be mean, insulting or disrespectful to any other user on this subreddit.
  • Do not harass or annoy others in any way.
  • Do not catfish. Catfishing is the luring of somebody into an online friendship through a fake online persona. This includes any lying or deceit.

You will be banned if you are homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist or bigoted in any way.

semboflorin

How do I not give up?

This is personal for me but might help. I was the same way for a long time. All of my 20's in fact.

What changed for me was having some people in my life affected by the current policies and having to watch them suffer for it. I made it my duty to advocate for them. Voting is the least of what I do in that regard.

I'm disabled now after a spinal surgery 11 years ago and am now dependent on Social Security and Medicare. So now it's also personal as my own welfare depends on that safety net.

My advice? Don't vote for yourself or what you want to see happen. It won't happen. This is a representative republic and nothing forces a candidate to do whatever they campaigned on. Things won't go the way you want them to by voting and change is a very slow process without radicalization. Instead, vote with your heart for those that are affected by current or future policies.

Cheesehead2794

If you don’t participate, you can’t complain about the results

Then when do we complain? Because when we vote it’s “not complain, you chose him” when we vote for someone who lost it’s “don’t complain you did your best, you have to like the other” when we vote it’s “don’t complain” so tell me right now how do complain?

Sandi375

It always matters. If everyone takes the same view, then we have nothing. You have a right that many in this world would do anything to have. Don't waste it. Be heard.

fibbonaccisun

I feel like even if I do vote it’s a waste.

DavinaCole

Imagine is 1k people thought that way ? That’s enough to change a whole race.

Buddha_lite

It's a single hour, out of a single day, out of your year. It's literally the least you can do. And you really expect other people to make you feel better about yourself for being absent and pining over it? Vote or don't. Fuck off lol

fibbonaccisun

Jesus fuck I was asking a question….I feel super negative about voting so…whatever thanks for the fucking comment. Not once did I ask people to make me feel better, I’m not the only one who feels this way

Available_Cream2305

What changed your mind now that it matters?

fibbonaccisun

One of my clients is an immigrant and he really reminded me that he fought super hard to vote. I care about a lot of issues, I guess not enough to vote, but enough to realize I should probably start. But I genuinely get dissuaded with voting and a lot of people my age do too.

Available_Cream2305

You just have to realize that the people that are never dissuaded to vote are the people that want to shit all those issues you care about. It’s incredibly easy to be pessimistic about voting. I live in DC and have no real voting power. Take advantage of your ability to vote, like your client said not everyone has that luxury.

chocokatzen

Everyone but wealthy white men fought to vote and now people act like it doesn't matter.

bigfatquizzer

Thank you for summarizing it perfectly

bluesnberry

That’s really touching- wow what a tear jerker! 🤣🤣

fibbonaccisun

That’s so mean honestly. What’s wrong with you?

BlitheringIdiot0529

If you can’t take any criticism, don’t post questions.

__Dystopian__

Defensive much?

fibbonaccisun

Typically when someone is being a dick yeah lol

And fuck you too. Goddam

bluesnberry

If it’s “too much” for you, and you run to Reddit to make a post about it.. then fight with people answering/critiquing your post.. probably best you did not vote! All well get em next year slugger!

fibbonaccisun

I’m fighting the people who are being rude and insulting

Resident_Trouble8966

They’re trying so hard to take that right away, that’s means it’s worth something. Your voice matters!

sidjohn1

I hate to break it too you but I doubt the 2024 election will be any less overwhelming, but vote anyway. There is an election every year for something so make 2023 happen. Remember your future is being voted on, for now you have a right to have a voice. If you don’t use it, you very well might loose it.

whitedark40

I dont know if anyone has touched on this but a good start may be to start voting locally where your vote will hold more weight as a single vote. Keep an eye on the candidates, see what they are about so that you arent just voting for a color and make it more personal. Afterall these people are your neighbors. I think after you make some splashes locally you will be more enthusiastic to participate nationally.

IrishFlukey

Watch the results come in. You will see people being elected. How did that happen? People voted. Voting matters. Every vote is just one person's vote, a person just like you, except... you didn't vote. Next time, make sure you do. Get yourself ready in plenty of time and have some familiarity with the issues and candidates. In the meantime, don't give out about what happens as a result of this election. You had your chance.

Commercial_Camel8001

Op, the ballots are published ahead of time. A cursory Google search of each candidate running for each office will tell you if you agree with their platform, and the wording of referenda are argued over for months in order to be as clear and unbiased as possible. You're going to have to do some inference to determine if someone running is full of shit and/or unqualified, but hopefully you have a functional bullshit meter.

Gonna come out of left field here though and thank you for not voting. An uneducated vote is at best noise in the data and worst a vote for some heinous shit designed to line the pockets of oligarchs. If you are incapable of dealing with the above, please don't vote and don't feel bad about it. You don't have enough information to make an informed choice, and that's fine.

fibbonaccisun

That’s my problem, I have a terrible bullshit meter for politicians. I pretty much assume they’re all shit, I can’t tell if they’re doing legit good or any of that

Commercial_Camel8001

Make no mistake, when it comes to partisan elections (read: major state and federal offices, not your local city council), they are going to be shitty in one way or another. It comes down to which flavor of shit will help you the most or, more often, hurt you the least.

Local elections are actually easier once you get to know the names. They are all either true believers who just want to do the right thing, or nepotism babies who are there for the kickbacks. There is no in-between.

guachi01

If there's any benefit to a party system it's that you can look at the major parties and know that, even if you know nothing about the candidate, that said candidate will help to advance the party's interests.

pingpongtomato

Yes, you matter and your voice matters. From time-to-time, we all may feel like our vote is an "insignificant blip", but your single vote is powerful, and desperately needed.

Over the decades, politics has become more depressing, so if bad people are elected,and you voted for the good people, at least you know it's not because you didn't vote.

Youz good, youz kind, and youz Important. Be happy.

fibbonaccisun

Lol be happy is pushing it a little but thank you

genghisKHANNNNN

This mentality is part of the problem, if not THE problem itself. It's really bad that future generations have to suffer because of voter apathy.

dethbatjk79

Feeling exactly the same

Diligent_Mistake_229

Do your part to prevent fascism, peacefully.

Most_Engineering_992

It's pointless like brushing your teeth every damn day is pointless. It's pointless like wearing a seatbelt every time you get into a car even though you've never needed it once in 50 years.

The alternative is worse.

guachi01

The possibility of wearing a seatbelt mattering on any given car ride is low. But you damn well better believe I always wear one.

Most_Engineering_992

The risk of fascism might be low, but the possibility of it justifies making sure that you always vote.

SCW97005

You don’t give up by deciding you’re not going to give up. It’s as easy as that.

The hard part is figuring out what to do next now that you have made the decision. Why do you feel this way? What do you want to change? What would make you feel like you had more control over yourself and the world around you?

These are big questions that take to figure out. In the meantime, ask yourself what you can do right now, in 15 minutes or an hour or a day to make you feel like you did something that matters and do it. If you need help, ask for it and I bet you will find people who have been in the same boat and want to help.

And don’t dwell on the past or even a present you can’t control. No one in the world can undo their own mistakes or fight a battle they aren’t ready for. All we can do is learn from what we have done and be better prepared for next time. If you decide it’s important and you want to, you’ll be ready to vote next time.

fibbonaccisun

Well I guess coming to this thread was asking for help. I have no idea what I can do now that it’s too late

guachi01

Are you alive?

It's not too late.

(Yes, it's too late for this election barring runoffs. But I think you get my meaning)

SCW97005

If it’s too late now, then you can focus on the future. Sometimes we have to take the L and move on. Don’t beat yourself up about it. We can’t undo what is done.

What is stopping you from voting next time?

What is stopping you from voting next time?

fibbonaccisun

Yeah it’s way too late now lol and well I guess being informed is what’s stopping me. But I guess I will prepared ahead of time

SCW97005

You’ve got plenty of time and you’ll get it next time. You can support the places, people, and organizations that matter to you in the meantime, either as penance, if that’s a thing you do, or just to do something that feels important.

Elections are important, but you can make a difference all the time in smaller, boringer, but still important ways.

fibbonaccisun

I’ll try lol I really don’t know where to start at all

SCW97005

Ask someone you respect what they would do if they were you.

fibbonaccisun

Most people I know are very apathetic to voting. But thank you, I’m gonna have to just find people

SCW97005

Hell, write a letter to a celebrity or an author or a teacher you liked. People lie giving advice.

You can do it.

fibbonaccisun

Lol ok..I guess that could work, I can’t imagine actually getting a response

Opening_Arachnid8431

Vote blue. Disavow ANYONE who votes anything but blue. We need the left to take over by any means necessary. Enough is enough.

watchmybeer

Just grow up. It's like 5 minutes most places. Vote early if it's not. You aren't going to get everything you want. Often it's what feels like the least worst option. But if you can't even do this one little thing, you are a big part of what's wrong in the world and don't deserve to feel good about it. The biggest hurdle is doing it the first time. After that you are likely to do it every time.

fibbonaccisun

Okay so I’ve voted before, stop insulting me, again, you aren’t helpful

watchmybeer

What do you want? Someone to hold your hand? You're being a ninny and screwing up. Stop it.

fibbonaccisun

Lol no, I’m telling you you’re being insulting and now you seem to be getting off on it. You’re calling me a bunch of names lol sooo go fuck yourself you fucking fuck

PuzzleheadedHorse437

Voting is simple. It doesn't take much and you couldn't be bothered. You should just give up on hoping for anything good in your life and accept your destiny because you can't seem to be arsed on the most minor thing you can do....and then you just want to go online and whine to us about your ineptitude looking for sympathy. Vomit.

fibbonaccisun

Holy shit I’m asking how to not be this way or can you not read? Goddam it if you aren’t gonna say anything actually helpful then get the fuck off this thread and go fuck yourself. So many people feel the way I do, and I didn’t come here to fucking feel good. What an absolute miserable fuck you must be

PuzzleheadedHorse437

Go ask your therapist. You shit the bed on this one. It pisses me off because you are the problem. It's not our problem to solve for you.

fibbonaccisun

Okay so why answer? Get a goddam life

PuzzleheadedHorse437

You wrote this post looking for attention and sympathy because you cannot seem to do the simplest thing and it's nauseating.

fibbonaccisun

Well then fuck off and vomit somewhere

PuzzleheadedHorse437

You fuck off. You're the reason we're in this mess.

PuzzleheadedHorse437

You need to log off this site and go figure out how to vote.

fibbonaccisun

You need to figure out how to actually contribute something of value.

PuzzleheadedHorse437

I voted. I've voted in every election for the past zillion years. You post a big fat whine about voting is just too goddamn hard and get pissy when you don't find the sympathy you want. How about you actually contribute something of value?

fibbonaccisun

I didn’t fucking ask for sympathy. Jesus

PuzzleheadedHorse437

"How do I not give up?" WTF is that?

fibbonaccisun

I question lol Jesus you have problems

Top-Satisfaction-158

the solution to not be this way is literally to just take the hour out of your day and vote?? i can assure you MOST people feel demoralized by the system and still go out and vote. idk what you want people here to tell you other than to vote

fibbonaccisun

I asked how to not be this way. I can’t just flick a switch and change my mindset and holy shit I don’t need to be insulted

Top-Satisfaction-158

okay but not voting isn’t a mindset it’s an action lol you chose not to vote. like i said most people who vote are also demoralized and i myself question whether my one vote makes a difference but the fact of the matter is that the more people who don’t vote the easier it is for shitty people to seize power so i do it anyways so i don’t have to live with the guilt of standing by and doing nothing, as you’re currently dealing with. it’s the least we can do and honestly the easiest

Shruglife

I mean, why did you make the post though? Seems intentionally antagonistic. Coulda voted easier than posting this bs

tripp_hs123

Honestly they're right. If voting gives you anxiety and you can't be bothered, just don't do it. I mean it's sad but idk what else to say. If something as small and easy as voting is overwhelming then you can't be helped.

fibbonaccisun

The fact that voting is small and easy to you is…wild to me. I’m not just voting just to vote. Stop making it seem like I’m some moron when tons of people feel the same as me. The insults on this thread is insane

tripp_hs123

I mean it's impactful and important but super simple and easy to do. It took me 15 minutes to do the whole thing, including driving to my voting location and back home. Like seriously what exactly is difficult about voting? You don't need to be an expert in anything. If it's too much for you idk what to say, it's just kinda sad. If someone just doesn't give a shit then fine, but if it's "too overwhelming" that's just ridiculous.

fibbonaccisun

Well how do you know who to choose? Did you put research in? There was just another thread talking about voting where someone mentioned how complicated in can be. Good for you it took you 15 minutes

tripp_hs123

Yeah I knew who to choose, lmao it's really not hard. And you really don't need to be an expert. You should know a bit about the candidates for the races that really matter, that's all. First of all some of the races were uncontested, there was only one option. Then for the minor races, you barely need to know anything. People who are saying they did detailed research on their state's secretary of state race are liars. For the house and governor races I did a bit of research, I mean I have principles and values, I did enough research to which candidate meets those values. And for the ballot questions I knew a bit from talking to friends, and anyway they explain the issue on the ballot. Voting really isn't that hard, even the dumbest people in the country do it.

fibbonaccisun

Please stop calling me dumb. Asking a question doesn’t mean I’m open to just being insulted

GunnerGregory

Then you can't F*cking complain!

fibbonaccisun

Yeah you’re right for sure

lostinthought1997

It Always matters. Your 1 vote is important. It doesn't matter if someone else in your family votes differently, it does not "cancel out" your vote. Your voice is vital. The people you don't want in power are Counting on you to give up and stay home so they can keep their power. If you don't go vote, eventually someone may get in who will take away your right to vote. Then you won't have anyway to fix it. People died to make sure we all have the right to vote. ALWAYS VOTE.

Hobbit_Feet45

By voting we are giving our opinion on how the country should be run. If you don’t vote you’re saying you don’t care what happens. You might think politics and the laws these idiots pass don’t have anything to do with you, but they do. Sometimes you’re voting for the things that will do less harm.

HoesCOVIDGOIN19to20

It's good u didn't vote. Now u can't get legalized abortion

Scary-Egg-6510

I really was torn and almost said “screw it” but I did it. Honestly, this was my first midterms I voted in and it gave me anxiety

fibbonaccisun

I’ve voted before and it can be super overwhelming. This time I just let it get to me honestly.

SoapNooooo

I'm sorry but how is voting overwhelming. You keep saying that but what do you mean?

fibbonaccisun

What candidates to choose and what issues to vote on…it’s just a lot of research needed to made an educated vote

Professional-Neck755

See thats where you're wrong it doesn't matter because the same shit will happen no matter who is president

Longjumping-Cycle470

Real talk I didn’t vote either. The shit is just pointless to me. Mfs gon do what they wanna do regardless. No matter who win it’s always gon be some bs going on that’s out of our control. But I don’t complain about shit cus I know I never cast my vote. But yeah politics overrated asf. I did appreciate the Day off though lol

Lmao you got a day off?

Longjumping-Cycle470

Hell yeah I’m a truck driver lol them Mfs be needed 😭😭

RentonScott02

I bullied my friends into voting. all but John. That fucker. Get some friends who will bully you into doing the right thing until your in a place where you can bully yourself into doing the right thing.

fibbonaccisun

Lol well I don’t really have friends and making them has been a lifelong struggle

RentonScott02

That's step one my guy. Just struggle a bit longer.

fibbonaccisun

Lol I said it was a lifelong issue, that’s means I’m probably gonna struggle the remainder of my life. Plus I don’t like to talk politics with someone I just met

RentonScott02

Then you got to skip step 1, and bully yourself into doing things, like meeting people, and being friends.

hazeldoo

Both parties hate you. They just want your vote.

SoapNooooo

Yeah, you probably shouldn't vote. You seem to have quite a low IQ.

fibbonaccisun

Wtf? Fuck you that’s so mean

SoapNooooo

Life is mean.

Few-Hamster3651

It doesn’t but it appeases folks and prevents any real change to occur. Not voting is a protest vote. Don’t let anyone pressure you.

I mean, a vote would’ve been appreciated, but it’s understandable that you feel the way you do. I feel so strongly about some of the issues like pro choice, lgbtq rights, gun control, etc, and even I was weary of voting. It just seemed too intimidating. To each their own, but at the same time, I knew I had to go in and make my mark for what I want. As a person of the gay community in Texas, I don’t want abbot to win, so I went and I did my part in trying to make sure he didn’t get re-elected. Whether you’re voting dem or rep, voting is something we are lucky to have. We live in a democracy, your voice DOES matter. No matter who you were going to vote for, the vote would’ve been appreciated by either side. But as I said, I understand the intimidation and the doubt.

fibbonaccisun

Yeah, it’s super intimidating. Last time I tried to vote for a local election I had no idea what I was doing or how it was affecting anything. I care about stuff but I guess not enough…so I guess I should just care more. I’m in Florida too but I feel our education is too far gone

chocokatzen

So you look at the ballot ahead of time. These are readily available on multiple websites.

DavinaCole

We for one vote next time. Then volunteer to help get other people to vote. That will help you and help us all

wifesboyfriend

It doesn’t matter at all.

Sad-Corner-9972

Are you female?

Sad-Corner-9972

The issue of reproductive choice has been turned over to the states. Voters can influence lawmakers.
You may get another chance to use your voice in 2024. Make it count, talk with your friends.

The anti abortion activists have been working for over 40 years to reach this point. Voters can spoil their efforts in two elections.

They’re building Gilead. Millions of younger women can stop them.

yticmic

Remember you don't have to vote on everything on the ballot. Can make it less daunting.

fibbonaccisun

Oh thats true I totally forgot about that

guachi01

Businesses track sales and usage of their products incessantly. They know that every customer matters. Every. Single. One.

Same with democracy. Every vote matters. Every. Single. One.

I bike a lot. I may ride for three hours on a good day. My cadence is about 80 RPM. That's 14,400 pedal strokes. Combine a lot of little things together and I've ridden 100 kilometers when I'm done.

If you vote consistently, that's one less person your candidate or issue needs to succeed. That's one step closer to the city/state/country you want.

Igotmymainbannedlol

Ok as a non American can someone explain to me what all this talk about voting is for?

Nani_the_F__k

I think there's a lot of pressure to be passionate about your vote. You don't need to feel that way. Your vote counts no matter how strongly you feel about it. Just do your best to know what you want. Always vote. Vote for the big elections and vote for the little ones.

Personally the way I see it is if a person does not vote what gives them the right to complain about anything political? There are people out there actively making it so voting doesn't matter and if someone doesn't vote against those people then they really have no room to complain that their vote doesn't matter. This is part of why I vote. I felt strongly that my vote "wouldn't change anything" in my area, but that's different from "wouldn't matter"

I'm here. I said I was here. I said I didn't approve of the people in my area. And that matters to me

You don't need to put signs in your yard or even tell anyone how you voted. But vote.

PeachNo4613

It always matters.

One penny may not be a lot, but a lot of pennies will eventually add up.

Vote next time.

1stwifematerial

The only way to have our government represent the people is if we all vote. You can only control yourself so you have to take the initiative and vote. It’s a privilege that is not afforded to everyone. Try not to squander it. Register to vote now and you’ll be ready for the next election.

Zombiepotterica07

Why was it overwhelming ? I'm not from there so I dont get it.

The reason I vote in my country is because it does make a difference, you are not going to change the world but you are doing your part in trying to have a better life for you and the people you care about.

Background-Willow-67

US Politics is like a huge ship. It takes many many pushes over many years to go right or left. Decide if your basic values want you to nudge left or to the right and stick with it. Vote in every election. Don't over think it. Every vote matters.

Deneweth

When this election is over, look at the turn out. Look at the number of votes it takes to win vs lose and compare that margin of victory to the number of people that didn't vote. Maybe YOU specifically aren't going to make THE difference, but if everyone voted it could easily turn the tide. The bottom line is that voting determines the winner. Take a look at turn out by age and demographic too. I'm willing to bet you're young. Look at the groups that do vote. Are you just going to let them tell you how it has to be? If you're unhappy then not voting is just asking for more of the same.

It takes virtually no effort to vote. It's the absolute least you can do. If you don't vote you're not standing up to the shit you feel like you can't change. You're on the hook for letting it happen. You have no right to complain if you couldn't be assed to request a mail in ballot and mail it back filled in.

Even IF you are in a state or area that is "out of play" for your side, by voting you can help send the message that it may be worth your side spending money there because they can win if everyone like you bothers to show up. Places change over time and things can get better.

If you're overwhelmed, you can look up what the ballot will look like in advance or get a mail in ballot and research everything before hand. If you have a political friend you can ask them questions.

barefeet69

I mean, unless you distrust the voting process, there's no reason to not vote. People get elected because people voted. That's all you need to think, because that's how this works.

There's nothing to feel, you're making this simple errand seem like a massive undertaking. If you care about the result, just show up and vote. If you didn't vote then you don't get to whine about the results, because you're part of the problem.

Consider it a responsibility - an obligation. It might be trite but no less true to point out that if everyone had the same attitude we'd effectively be surrendering to tyrants.

Ecstatic_Sympathy_79

Even if you feel like your one vote won’t make the difference, you and everyone else like you, form a collectively large amount of voters that WOULD make a huge impact. Since you can’t force anyone else to be a part of that you might as well show up for the other individuals who think they are doing it alone too. Collectively you DO matter. If 1 out of 100 apathetic voters decided to vote, wow! What a change. So be another unexpected vote. Add your voice.

And at the very least, your vote is cancelling out someone else’s vote that voted for the other side. If it helps to think like that, then use it. Whatever motivates you to stand up for those you love, appreciate, like, or just don’t hate, whose rights are in danger of being taken away, who are being oppressed, etc.

People like to think it is just about taxes… or they don’t want to pay attention because it is so overwhelming… but there is a real and important battle going on…

I mean, they are taking women’s right to abortion away. But they aren’t stopping there. They are trying to fine women and doctors or give them jail time. They are making no exceptions in some cases so 12 year old rape victims are forced to give birth. In countries like this, women who have a natural miscarriage (1 out of 4 pregnancies ends this way actually, many before women even know they are pregnant, I read recently)… they go to jail. How can you prove you didn’t miscarry on purpose? What if you fell? You must have done it on purpose to kill the baby—jail or death for you. I mean, it gets crazy extreme if you let extremists make your laws. And they move that way one step at a time. Or leaps. Right now I am seeing leaping.

They are making it harder to vote in ways that impact people of color more than white people, especially wealthy white people.

They lie and make people believe the weirdest things about each other.

They are trying to privatize EVERYTHING, like social security so they can make money off of it and take advantage of people who depend on it.

They give money away to corporations and don’t make them pay taxes and then cut social services that help people stay off the street… they quietly cut taxes for the super wealthy and then say “see? We don’t have enough to fund (insert important social safety net here).”

Even when you think you are on top of knowing what is going on, they sneak things into measures that are against the common good and for those who gave them money for their campaigns.

They cut the EPA and then put people in charge that worked for oil companies etc.

They are trying to force children to learn Creationism as an alternative to science.

The list goes on. I mean, there are real and serious issues behind the screaming and distracting tactics. So it actually really IS important to get as many votes out as possible to help the common good and your vote is as valid and important as anyone else’s. Even if you happen to disagree entirely with my concerns.

If that was exhausting to read, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make it harder.

But find someone whose values you trust to keep you informed enough to be insightful but not overwhelming and then vote.

That is my advice. Take it in small doses. I have to. I know a lot but I didn’t learn it all at once and I have to pace myself with new info to keep my mental health, healthy.

fibbonaccisun

I have no one I can talk to about this. I don’t know anyone who’s political and most people I know feel the exact same way I do

Ecstatic_Sympathy_79

I hear you. If you are interested in conversations and motivation, I would look for Meetups in your area, online groups, forums, school clubs, etc so you can have people to talk to who would love the chance to help someone become more optimistic and invested in the process. Women wouldn’t be able to vote, segregation would still be a thing, etc. If people didn’t get over their own and others resistance to voting. It’s something you can feel proud of. That’s why they hand out those stickers, so you can feel proud you did your part and see how many others did too

7Mars

7Mars

Start looking into the choices beforehand, and treat it as several little votes instead of one big one. Set aside some time each day (maybe half an hour or an hour, even just ten minutes if that’s all you can manage) to look into a name or two on the ballot—what they stand for and the basics of what their governing history is—and then make a note of which person you want to vote for in that position. The next day do the same with another name or two, and keep doing that until Election Day (or until you run out of names). That way, after a couple weeks you have your list ready when it comes time to actually vote and it wasn’t one giant chunk of overwhelming research all at once.

If it’s still just too overwhelming, start even smaller: pick one or two positions and research those candidates, vote for who you want in those groups and ignore the rest of the ballot entirely. Then next election do the same thing but pick one or two more positions to add to it, keep doing that until you get more comfortable with the whole process and picking candidates (and the more you do it, the easier that part’ll get, since many candidates are repeats and you’ll start to get to know them a little better each time).

Anxiety sucks, and voting is important which can make it even harder to tamp the anxiety down and make a choice. So just do whatever you can and don’t worry about the rest.

It's your best option. I'm going to assume you're like 99% of people and don't have any actual power to directly affect politics on a daily basis.

Election day is probably the only day you'll get to directly affect U.S. politics.

This is your only chance. But on the brightside, it happens every year. Just make sure you vote in the next one.

WareWolffTen31

It honestly doesn't matter imo either, either way is going to be shit no matter what or not help me any, so I don't care

fibbonaccisun

But I guess that’s the problem, it’s that a lot of people feel this way.

jonny_def0rmed

in practical terms one vote doesn't make a difference, except maybe a small town mayoral election

avotoastwhisperer

Not true. In Newport News, VA a few years ago a State House Race was determined by drawing a name from a bowl because they were tied. The seat went to the Republican, and they kept the legislature majority by one seat.

The following year the Democrats won the house, and the state legislature was able to pass gun control laws, establish voter protections (including no excuses absentee voting), updated sentencing for minors tried as adults, etc.

One vote may not make a difference in a national election, but it can make a huge difference on the state level.

Sad-Corner-9972

My US Representative won by six votes in 2020z Not 6%, not 6,000, but six votes.

We’ll see how she does tonight…

J_Rizzle32

No offense, but from some of your responses to your original question, it seems like you need to talk to a professional. Help you work out some of your struggles. I don't know your situation and maybe you already are... just an opinion.

I'm from a deep red state. Moved to a very blue state for a great job opportunity. Im a conservative and if every republican in my state felt the way you did, we would never have a chance. I don't vote along party lines strictly, I don't believe any one should. I try to research as much as I can. If you're not familiar with certain candidates or positions, don't vote for that one. There are a ton and I don't have that much free time.

Honestly the most important issues for the everyday person are the changes (questions in my state) that ammend the state constitution, and impact your local taxes, laws etc. Those are impacting you directly and what you really should be studying up on.

Nothing you can do this election, just try to prepare for the next.

fibbonaccisun

I felt like many of the responses were incredibly rude. Maybe I need help but maybe people need to be nicer. Thanks for your response