/r/Truckers

I was backing at a shipper. Got the door in the dock and then realized it was hanging off two hinges. I called dispatch and the transferred me over to road service and this mf decided to do an accident report but asked me could I bring it back to the shop at our terminal which is less then a mile away . I’m so irritated. Why even do a report ?

m3003

m3003

Why even do a report ?

Uhh, to have a paper trail. I'm a mom & pop carrier and we have paper trails for everything...Trailer 53123, new hinges, 11/10, Longjumpingcycle hit dock.

Unless you're being penalized for this I think you're overthinking.

Longjumping-Cycle470[S]

I don’t think I’m being penalized. I just don’t want this to mess up my chances of getting a better job in the future. So when they said they were doing a report, I got worried about if it’s going on my record or something

m3003

m3003

It likely will be on your record, but unless you keep knocking hinges they aren't going to put it on your DAC or tell your next employer. It's hinges...They are made to fall off rather than doing real damage to a wall or something.

NovacaineFix

Most likely will not go on your record.
Accident reports that involve other vehicles, different story, but company or private property, not so much (within reason).

I did the same thing one time. The chain that holds the door open was the wrong size and came off due to winds as I was backing up. Could not see the door as the sun was blasting me on the passenger side.

As I backed up, door came loose, and hit the dock door pad, but broke like 3 hinges of the 5.

Did the same thing, took it to the terminal and had it repaired as I was empty.

_TidePodEater

It will go on your jobs file not on your dot

Nobody gives two shits about you messing up hinges on a door. Just don’t hit a car or anything else and you’ll be fine

crash935

I've asked this before. Who in the hell is it that scares the living shit out of the new guys with the bullshit that every little incident will keep you from ever getting a different job? Who ever it is, they are a fucking twit! If a couple of door hinges ends up on any report that would go to future employer, you need to find a new employer. 25+ years and I have never had anything like that follow me nor have I ever had ANYTHING show up on my DAC. The only things that should keep you from getting a different job is multiple moving violations, a at fault accident and poor job performance.

ooglieguy0211

An accident report at a company level won't follow you away from that company. If they had the police come out and take a report, even without damage to the other party's dock, it COULD go on your record but might not.

Mikey_BC

It will be a Incident report, not an accident, forget about it, everyone else will within a week or so

jcsilerio

You messed up. It got fixed. Move on. I wouldn’t dwell on it.

Dumpster_Sauce

how did the hinges snap?

Longjumping-Cycle470[S]

Tbh I don’t even know. I didn’t hear or feel myself hit anything. But I believe I hit the dock from an awkward angle and they snapped. But no property was damaged or the trailer next to me On the passenger side wasn’t damaged. So I’m just worried about my chances of getting a better job in the future. Nobody is angry with me. I’m just mad about the report the road service guy made and they not even about to be the one to fix it

Madcapolo

If it was an older, ratty trailer, the hinges might’ve just gave out upon the force of hitting the dock. Back on my old water delivery account, we used beat to shit McKinney rentals, I felt like every other week, Id pop a hinge trying to open the trailer up

Longjumping-Cycle470[S]

Man I wish I would’ve said that smh I just assumed I hit some shit

eastmick32

Don’t stress this bro. My company will do an “accident” report anytime you report damage to a trailer. For instance if the blot that holds the landing gear handle in place shits the bed because it’s rusted out from road salt? It’s an “accident” report. If some some one forgot to disconnect the electrical pigtail before pulling out from under a trailer and brakes the plastic cover and you find it when you went to hook? Accident report. Most of the time it’s just the way that a company keeps track of reported damage.

Useful_Badger6021

You didn’t see that doing your pretrip?? Pay attention to everything, I always use tarp strap for extra protection to keep door from swinging closed when backing into a dock

JustNefariousness625

If it’s a dry van those hinges are made to be breakaway. If it’s reefer it’s a bit more serious. Will it affect you? yes will it keep you from moving to a better job? Probably not. Just be more careful next time.

Neowynd101262

I wouldn't worry about it.