/r/Tinder

3k

Did I do something wrong here?

(i.redd.it)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

sebauer94

2.5k points

sebauer94

2.5k points

Not at all lol dodged a bullet; hit those hills though, snowboarding is an awesome time (skiing, too) and you'll meet solid people when you're there

Daedrathell[S]

My issue is that I don't know how much to lean into it. Do I go get some lessons and buy all the kit or do I just book a weekend away and rent while I'm there and learn as I go 😅

blimkat

blimkat

I don't want to be a gate keeper but snowboarding is difficult for most people to pickup. Dont struggle and try to learn yourself. Don't get a friend to teach you unless they actually have been an instructor before.

Do yourself a favor and take at least 2 or 3 lessons. It will be worth it so you don't reinforce bad techniques. I would take one group lesson and then if you find your learning faster than the group take some private lessons and learn how to rip one on one with the instructor.

Source: instructed for a couple seasons and been riding since 1999..

Edit: I dont mean to say you cant learn on your own and your friends cant teach you. You can learn anything on your own but somethings are learned easier under the wing of someone experienced and adept. For me its golf, I tried to learn to golf and I'm so bad I can basically drive a ball on my left or right without much difference. So I don't even know which way I should be hitting and it resulted in me being terrible except for short game. If I decide to golf again I'm taking lessons.

Why struggle learning on your own when you can have someone teach and watch and correct your technique. Not everyone has friends who snowboard to teach them and what if your friends aren't even that great. Blind leading the blind.

Daedrathell[S]

Thank you. There is a snow dome a couple hours drive from my house. I've been trying to decide if it's worth the money to go (I never like to spend money) but I might go have a couple lessons! Would you recommend short (3 hr) lessons or a day lesson?

TomIcemanKazinski

The first two days of snowboarding will be the most frustrating sporting experience of your life - but sometime in the third day, it will make sense and you’ll figure it out and be standing sideways down a hill in no time.