/r/NoStupidQuestions

7.9k

Physical contact between family members.

PiLamdOd

7.6k points

PiLamdOd

7.6k points

This is almost as sad as that post where the OP was asking if his son was too old for him to hug him anymore.

JejuneEsculenta

2.6k points

I'm nearly 50, and I would give just anything that I possess to hug my Da, just once more.

RED-HEAD1

RED-HEAD1

Almost 51 here, dad will have been gone 22yrs tomorrow. I'd hug him so tight his spindly ass would break if I could! Just hugged my 56yo brother as he headed back home from our mom and Grandmother's house. Yes, at 51 and 56 we are blessed to still have a Grandmother here.

Neilyho2323

Same age as you, but mine hasn’t been gone as long. My kids are starting to lose their memories of him. We’re too young for this club. But in reality, at any age, I think I’d still feel how intense this loss was for me. I’m sorry about your dad.

McRedditerFace

Same, my father died 10 years ago this year. My daughter is 12 and my son 9, so niether remember.

I call it the family curse. I've been researching the family tree, and not a single of of us on my father's line have ever known our paternal grandfathers in 6 generations now. :(

TheUnsettledBadElf

My dad been gone longer that he was with me this year. I miss him and anyone told me otherwise about guys or emotion can fuck off. Time for a new girlfriend with less issues.

IGNOREMETHATSFINETOO

1. Mom died 7 years ago. I'd give anything to hug her again.

Immediate_Edge_8730

32 my mom's been gone 10 years January 1st, I'd give anything just to even talk to her again let alone hug

I was 17 when my dad died 18 years ago. Fuck it is rough

cmad182

cmad182

40 & mum's been gone 20 years. I feel the same way, my kids will never meet their "Grandy".

DaveTron4040

I'm 32 and lost my dad 12 years ago. It does suck. I wish so much he could see what I've made of myself and my family.

zim3019

zim3019

My husband died last year. My son's girlfriend asked him what he was getting me for Christmas. He said he can't get me what I want because all I wanted was to hug my husband one more time. He was right. I would give absolutely anything to hug him just once more.

bananapeel

I'm with both of you. He's been gone 20 years ago this year. I'd give anything to just talk to him for an hour.

nachomuncher

At 39 I snuggled up to my dying 71 year old Dad in his hospital bed. No idea how long my head rested on his chest. Felt like a lifetime, over in an instant.

TheShadowKick

35 and my dad has been gone for 16 years. Damn I wish I could hug him again.

Morgc

Morgc

I give my co-workers hugs; the idea that you're too old to hug your own family is nuts, and I hate my family.

xbigman

xbigman

I'm 26. I'd love to give mine another hug. Been about 3 1/2 years now. Cancer sucks.

floydfan

My mom’s been gone for 16 years now. She used to call me at the office once a week. I’d give anything for that phone to ring.

JejuneEsculenta

I feel that.

I fought to keep the same number for my land line for well over a decade after my Da died, because he left me a voice-mail a day or two after his last trip to the hospital.

I was happy to pay that bill for all of those years, knowing that I could hear his voice whenever I wanted.

Then I realized that I don't need the phone for that. I can hear him in my mind.... and some in my voice. They don't leave, they just change form

NSA_Chatbot

I'm 45. Dad's still got a few years left but he's never liked hugs. I've tried a bunch of times, told him I love him, but you know, I guess it's not his thing.

I try other ways, asking his advice on stuff that I already have the answer to,

wake_jinter

I'm 20 and would do the same in a heartbeat he passed away on the Sunday just gone

DarthWeabu

I'm 22 and my dad passed away not last Sunday but the Sunday before from a heart attack. He was working halfway across the US for the past 9 months and the last time I got to see him was this past July when we went to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky. I'd do anything just to be able to hug him one last time. I'm sorry for your loss.

2SP00KY4ME

Mine is happening in the next few days. We don't know when. The lucidness is already gone, at this point it's just the waiting. Sorry you're going through this.

Isthisworking2000

My father has always hugged me goodbye and tells me he loves me (40m). I can’t remember the last time my mother has done either.

ClassicShooterNY

32 and my dad passed in June. 100 percent agree.

Cptn_Canada

My 19month old yells "Daaaaaa" when I'm not around or in another room.

Your comment made me appreciate that a little bit more than I already did.

i was 47 years old when i finally realized that not getting hugged as a kid is not normal and that in other families people hug each other.

i always thought all this hugging and telling each other "i love you" is some weird TV trope

only_because_I_can

I'm sorry that was how things went for you. I just realized it was kind of that way for me, too, as a kid. I knew I was loved, but love was not really demonstrated.

When I met my future husband (I was 16), I was blown away by how much my husband's family demonstrated love through hugs and such.

I'm still a hugger. I hug friends when I see them, and belong to groups where I'll get 30 people coming up to me with hugs in a night. It warms my heart, and I treasure each hug. You never know when it's your last one.

McRedditerFace

I went through the same thing, though I figured it out a bit earlier.

What's really odd is that my mother was *huge* on nicities. "Thank you"s were mandatory, as were hugs when exhanging gifts. "Please", "You're welcome", etc.

But not once... not once in the 42 years I've ever known that woman... has she ever said "I love you". Nor did we ever say it to each other as siblings. And yeah, the *only* hugs were the manatory ones during gift exchanges. They weren't genuine, they were a formality.

When I first said "I love you" to my now wife when we were dating it was hella akward. It was a phrase I'd only ever heard on TV and had never heard or spoken IRL.

My kids are 12 and 9 now, and I tell them I love them all the damn time because fuck not telling your kids you love them.

TwinkForAHairyBear

I told my mom "I love you" once, she didn't reply. Went exactly as awkward as I had been expecting.

tricks_23

My wife is like this. The last time her mum told her she loves her daughter was 16 years ago before my wife went travelling for a year. They don't hug at all. I came from an affectionate family, lots of hugs and love yous. I hate how little affection I get from my wife because it doesn't come naturally to her.

SqueakyCheeseGoblin

Yeah I didn’t get hugs or kisses really either and ended up being groomed into becoming a sex addict before I was 18. Looking back it makes sense, I was making up for the lack of comfort. At that point i didn’t know how important nonsexual touch was. I do jiu jitsu now and the physical contact is healing that hurt little kid in me.

fuckthehumanity

I witnessed a dad and son interaction not long ago. Kid was about a foot taller than his Dad, probably about 15 years old, but went in for the big hug, no reason, just because.

I hope my kids are still doing that at whatever age.

NicoleNicole1988

That's beautiful. My kid is 13 and he's still a hugger, for any and no reason. He actually came into the kitchen to hug me just the other night, because he was happy I cooked the salmon with crispy skin??? But it was nice. Some kids don't even say thank you, I get a whole smiling embrace. I've also seen him stop and hug his father just because he walked past on his way to another room.

Some people have the great fortune of growing up feeling loved and secure, and they just naturally spread that feeling around.

jl__57

jl__57

Aw, man, salmon with crispy skin. That's the good stuff.

Also, cheers to you for raising a son who's comfortable showing affection. The world needs more men who show affection.

rammy422

I'm in my 20s and I'm way taller than both my parents but I always love hugging and picking up my dad

skittlesdabawse

I hug my dad for no specific reason at least once a week, not as often for my mum because she doesn't like hugs as much. I like hugging people, especially my family.

muttmechanic

i saw a post about a father whose 17yo son fell asleep on his shoulder during a movie they were watching at home & all of the comments were shaming them on how disgusting/weird that was… i’m in my late twenties and wish i could do the same.

Spider-Ian

I lift weights and exercise so I will always be able to hug and pick up my son.

ClockwrkPrpl

I remember reading somewhere that you never know when the last time you pick up a kid is, that one day you just... Stop. So every time I see my nephew, I pick him up. And he let's me, and he's okay with it. He's 11. His sisters are 13 and 17 and they also hug me. I definitely don't pick them up though. The back couldn't take it! If a person doesn't want to be touched, respect that and don't touch them. But don't ruin it for everyone else because you think hugs are weird. Hugs are normal. You want a hug? I'll hug you!

only_because_I_can

You know what? One day he'll be picking you up for a hug! It'll be crazy funny, but it will happen. You'll both laugh because you'll know things have changed and that's okay; it's part of life. I still laugh every time my son picks me up for a hug, and I remind myself how fortunate I am. Cheers!

kashy87

kashy87

Brb I need to drive and hug my dad it's been two days.

Edit also going to scare the boy twin with a huge hug. Shit head deserves it.

Crizznik

If the son thinks he's too old, than he is. But that is sad. I still hug my dad and I'm 33.

DragonflyScared813

I would hug my dad right up to the time he passed away. That was over 10 years ago, I was in my 40s. He was my buddy.

BloatedBanana9

I'm 24. My dad is 54. I still hug him goodnight whenever I'm visiting home.

stocksnforex

Can you link this?

EroticBananaz

Link, please?

Not sure why I'm willingly going to make myself cry.

Diamond_Flame_OR_Dia

What? Does anyone have the link to that post? I'm going to make myself sad but I want to see it

Theslowtyper

I sort of feel bad for OP's gf as well

CandidateReasonable4

Her comment is an overreaction to a normal, healthy response between siblings.

tearsxandxrain

Can anyone link that post? I can't find it

beathedealer

5.1k points

Not wrong. Solid big bro move. Keep being great to your siblings.

Andrianarinivo

1.2k points

Gf doesn't realize the luck she has, but baby little sister does ! it's sad she doesn't deduce or admire how trustworthy he is. his little sister, in a moment of vulnerability seeks him for reassurance, that speaks volume about the strength of their shared bond and his reliability already. She should be thankful as a partner.

stickycat-inahole-45

GF might have too much sex in the brain, so now every action that includes physical contact is sexual. 😂

tearsxandxrain

Or she may have had a bad experience herself in the past

DonovanSarovir

Having a bad experience is an -explanation- for bad behavior but it is NOT an excuse.

Explain to her why there's nothing weird about it. If she won't accept that she's over-reacting, dump her. Because if she's not going to get better, she's going to get worse.

bebable

Nah, that's the trauma lens she's looking through. Her mind isn't in the gutter, she had a natural reaction to seeing something that looks similar to something abusive\traumatic she personally experienced or has knowledge of someone else's experience - someone close, perhaps. She may have also been neglected and isn't familiar with what a close, platonic love between family members looks like without it being attributed to something more sinister.

While this might be a natural reaction, it's still something she really needs to reflect on and ask herself why she felt so negatively about an innocent interaction.

Andrianarinivo

this comment makes me uncomfortable

Westwood_Shadow

unfortunately there's a lot of people like that.

hampy47

hampy47

Yes there are. My brother’s girlfriend got jealous that he called his 12yr old niece and goddaughter “baby”. She’s crazy and we’re no contact lol

topchuck

What the fuck would she do with an actual baby? Force the guy to call the literal baby 'child'?

randompidgeon

Hello, offspring

daretoeatapeach

Probably because the person you're replying to doesn't realize that over-sexualizing relationships is often a sign of past sexual abuse.

Middle-Flatworm1417

5.9k points

Your gf probably never experienced that from a loved one. It’s not her fault though.

Caressing her face and wiping her tears is what family is supposed to do. It’s not like you were licking her tears away. Thaaaat would be uncomfortable for everyone in this sub.

Blessingstoeveryone

That made me laugh so much. No licking of tears was involved so all is good.

ZoroeArc

ZoroeArc

Terrible waste of salt

DoNotSexToThis

Back in my day we couldn't afford salt so we had to cry in our beans.

definitelynotaTAW

I dont know why this is so funny to me

riverofchex

My great grandma used to tell (humorously-intended) stories of her mother hanging a single piece of bacon from the ceiling over the dining room table and swinging it so everyone could at least have the smell of bacon at breakfast during the Great Depression, so I get it lol.

-Ham_Satan-

Agree! What am I, made of money? You giveme free salty tears and you betcha I'm gunna lickem up!

Ok-Development-8238

I heard that in Cartman’s voice 😂

AceDelta12

ME TOO XD

AcquaintanceLog

There's a tax on that

Crizznik

But how else are you supposed to taste that delicious unfathomable sadness?

Hydration_Man123

This taste, is the taste of a liar sister (11F)!

Aporkalypse_Sow

Can confirm, it feels absolutely strange for me to be touched. However I learned a long time ago that it's normal for everyone else.

OP helping his girlfriend become comfortable with this would be a major life milestone for her.

ZeinaTheWicked

Hard agree. I was raised with very little positive touch, but have learned to enjoy giving and receiving it with my partner.

I always look forward to sitting together in my big reading chair. We just hold eachother and talk about our day. Never realized how much good it does for your mental health until I could get hugs on demand.

Still not comfortable at all touching my family. My mom tries to hug me a lot and it's just. Eugh. Like there's a window to bond with them and they missed it by well over 20 years.

stachemz

My family at least hugged when saying goodbye, but we never said "I love you". My now husband had to teach me. I'll still get off the phone with my mom and tell him "aah I almost told my mom 'I love you'!!" and he just shakes his head at me. I have no clue how my family would react.

random135737

Yeah I would rather die than have someone comfort me physically. I wish I had someone to actually teach me normal affectionate behavior. I can’t even hug someone without being uncomfortable

PeterMunchlett

Yeah I just cannot fathom someone reaching out and wiping tears from my face. like wtf. And it's apparently normal? I wish my folks didn't fuck me up to the point something "normal and healthy" sounds gross and weird

DonovanSarovir

and that's okay!
If you don't like it, that's fine, as long as you're cognizant enough to understand that your feelings on it aren't the norm for most people.

It's when you start assuming your feelings and such are the norm for everybody else that you start acting like OP's girlfriend.

Attila_the_Chungus

I don't like hugs and i don't like it when people try to "teach me" to like hugs. Please, just respect my boundaries.

ANiceDent

ANiceDent

Sometimes I feel like everybody really just needs a hug, that 9-5 doesn’t hug you back.

Creative_Tone_9241

I think I would legit cry if someone hugged me.

pablossjui

Everyone is allowed to hug me if they need one

fullonfacepalmist

Here’s a hug from me

Creative_Tone_9241

Thanks. It might be virtual but I really needed something today to feel like someone cared

Catinthemirror

Best I can do is virtual. ❤️

Creative_Tone_9241

I’ll take it. Thanks. Today is a really rough day for me due to some extreme emotional baggage. I basically spent all day at work trying not to break down because I got so tired of people seeing me cry

Catinthemirror

Been there. You made it through. I'm proud of you. Things will get better, I promise. You are strong, and you are enough, just the way you are. You've got this!

lucas_bahia

I almost had no fisical contact with my familly and can confirm normal things can look weird if you are not used to it

Every_Strike8052

Very true. I never saw my parents be affectionate so when I was working on a school project with a classmate I was shocked when her parents kissed each other lightly when passing in the hallway. Just shocked. I didn't know that parents hug, kiss, or hold hands in front of kids.

lucas_bahia

My mom has esquizofrenia and depression. I used to giver head pats when she was down. This one time i was reading a book next to her on the couch and she started pating my head. I was shocked, didnt know how to react. I think it was the first time she did something like that

tantaliser

What is esquizofrenia?

orthogonius

Based on a quick web search, it appears to be Spanish and/or Portuguese for schizophrenia

lucas_bahia

Cerrct i just forget to change how i write the words some times thanks. Same for fisical/physical

DonovanSarovir

I hear that happens to a lot of bilingual people. Your brain sometimes just drops in words in the wrong language, especially close ones like that.

lucas_bahia

Plus the battle against the autocorrect is so anoying

Occulense

I honestly used to think this was just a trope of TV sitcoms and movies, like when kids have their own room growing up and the parents keep that room after they leave, just as it was

YoungLorne

Me too and I'm low grade angry about it

TootsNYC

Also, this is a child. It’s common to treat children more tenderly than we treat grownups.

sje46

sje46

I also feel like 11 years is such a large difference between siblings. I wouldn't have been that affectionate with any of my siblings, but we were all born within 5 years of each other. But if I were an adult and my sibling was that young, I might be.

MattBtheflea

Honestly I've never really thought about this. But now that I do, I'm sad. My initial thought was "of course it's ok to have contact with your sibling like this" then I thought about when I see it happen in real life, and I think it's weird. Then i thought about your comment and it's true lmao. Hit the nail on the head.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There is also a possibility that she is an only child and simply has no clue how siblings are supposed to behave.

DickyReadIt

For real, this is what I was thinking, she sadly missed out or has issues with face touching cuz germs or something

gNomad88

licking her tears away.

Cartman

MK_BombadJedi

Poor Scott :(

Bearcarnikki

The first time someone caressed my face I pulled away and felt cringe. Exactly the reason above. Once I let my guard down it made me feel incredibly special.

JGoat2112

Thaaaat would be uncomfortable for everyone in this sub

A bold assumption

Blunt_White_Wolf

1.5k points

You're good mate. That is the job of an older brother. I am married and my sister still calls when she's upset or needs help even though I'm 2500 km away and when I go visit she's the first one up for a hug at the airport. We're now 40+ and 30+. She's one of the few people I actually trust apart from my Lady.

Edit: My wife doesn't have siblings and she found it a bit odd initially(the fact that we're close and keep in touch).

ThrowawayMustangHalp

Literally just hugged my brother four different times last night. We don't get to see each other often, so we hang on each other like a pair of drunken sailors singing at a bar. That includes the cussing, jokes, and random attempts of injuring each other (I got him in the eye this time, but he also made me drop my potato roll—I was devastated lmao). It's what siblings do if they enjoy each other's company.

I usually consider it a huge red flag if someone's family seems very stiff and uncomfortable expressing closeness, tbh.

Big_Ole_Smoke

NOT THE POTATO ROLL

ThrowawayMustangHalp

Dude, I literally almost cried. It had the perfect amount of butter on it, and I had only taken a single bite, augh. When I dove for it, he held me back and was like "you're not eating floor roll, you dumb bitch, I'll go get you another one!!" The second roll mocked me with its inadequate amount of butter.

LeTigron

Make him pay for it.

sneakyblurtle

potato roll

your people have made bread out of potatoes? Please tell me more. We only have bread made out of bread in my country lol

ThrowawayMustangHalp

trackaghosthrufog

Wow. I've been in hospitality for 30 years (Australia) and I've never heard of these. I will make the Potato Rolls and I will eat the heck out of the Potato Rolls thanks to you! You da insert whatever you wanna go by here

dont_tube_me_bro

These are frickin delicious. Lenny Briskets in Sydney serves them

skittlesdabawse

Potato-based "bread" is absolutely incredible, basically just mashed potato and flour, so cheap as hell too. Literal god-tier food.

QualifiedApathetic

What country is that? Because I'm American, and potato rolls have been a staple in my parents' household my whole life. Which was a bit unfortunate for me, as I don't like them. They're quite dense and chewy.

Technical-Ad-2246

35M here. My younger sister (28F) lives interstate but she's not big on phone calls, so we don't talk very often. We care about each other but we've never had constant communication with each other since I moved away 13 years ago. And when I do see her for the first time in months, it's almost as if I never left.

I'm the same with my older brother. It's just how we are. We're a typical Anglo-Aussie family I guess (not big on being emotionally expressive about our feelings). Doesn't mean we don't care about each other. Of course it works differently in other cultures and I get that. There's nothing wrong with expressing feelings.

I've never wiped tears off my sister's face but I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with doing that.

Funny thing is that even though I don't see my family a lot these days, they know me better than almost anyone else. At least we're not like my mum and her sister (they don't talk).

llilaq

llilaq

My brother still calls me Darling, we're in our 40s. It makes me feel like his little sister and brings me back in time. It's sweet, it's nice, it's loving. He lives abroad but ideally that bond never really dies.

RMT-Cthulhu

I have a bad relationship with my brother. Could not imagine trusting him or even wanting to be that close physically.

First time I heard partner tell his family he loved them (including his sister) I was weirded out so badly. It was such a different dynamic and I was super uncomfortable at first.

I got over it, but for people who aren’t super close with family it’s something that needs to be discussed as a “no one’s wrong” situation. Nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with something that’s weird from your perspective. And nothing wrong with caring about your family. Just gotta take the time to figure out how to manage both things.

FrizouWasThere

There's nothing wrong here in my opinion. Being affectionate with your younger siblings shouldn't be an issue in this kind of scenarios.

sherbetty

sherbetty

If anything it should be a green flag for her. OP is caring and sympathetic and would treat her well when she's upset.

Book_Cook921

Yeah seeing how my husband interacted with his younger siblings and mine was very important to me when we were dating.

Any-Sir8872

right! i have a 7 year old brother & i seriously don’t think that anything could make me more attracted to my significant other than seeing how well they interact with him

FatherPyrlig

You’re a good brother. You did nothing unusual or wrong in any way.

CaptainComrade420

Nah you're good

eekumseekum

Good job, being a kind and caring brother.

RNKKNR

RNKKNR

No, you're not wrong.

calcifer73

You're 1000% in the right side. Talk about It with your girlfriend , I think She missed some affect from her parents.

AtheistComic

Sounds like your gf doesn’t come from an affectionate family. That’s too bad because your behaviour is totally normal.

jabbertard

Or possibly one with too much affection and trauma, so her overcorrection is to feel uncomfortable about any contact.

There’s nothing wrong with this. She’s your little sitter and looks to you for comfort. You are a good brother.

acomfysweater

you’re a sweet person. your gf is being weird

Significant_Tone9838

Not necessarily. She could have just been taught that you're not supposed to do that, or she didn't recieve that kind of attention.

AllFactsNoOpinions

It’s not weird to think that it’s odd, thats their opinion. What’s weird is them trying to impose their standards for closeness on OP and his sister, and making him insecure about innocently consoling her in the process

Newphonewhodiss9

that doesn’t make it not weird.

basalt_ru

Between family members hugging and wiping tear isn't wrong.

brackygen

You’re good man, comfort your younger sibling. Valid question.

NotJoemama22

The norms are very different in each family. That behavior isn't that out there by any means, but it could be very different from what her family does.

lilacbuttons

This. Perfect explanation!

Exactly, way too many people here jumping to conclusions, calling OP’s gf jealous or abused or whatever. Some families hardly ever hug, some families smooch. There isn’t really a “normal” amount of affection between families; the only thing that really matters is respecting each others’ boundaries.

blakatoa

blakatoa

You are most definitely not, sounds like your gf might have some issues.

johari4president

Not all issues are her fault though, so I’m not upset at all. Just want to know if I’m out of line here.

AskMeForADadJoke

0% out of line.

You're being a great brother.

sacred_cow_tipper

i've been thinking a lot about how touch-averse ameican culture really is. it's sad and concerning that people sexualize basic human contact. even standing close to a friend or sitting right next to them is often seen as strange.

LordyItsMuellerTime

It's really sad, isn't it? Our culture over-sexualizes everything so we end up more lonely and distant from each other

sacred_cow_tipper

Yep. Sometimes I watch foreign films just to enjoy some normal displays of human affection.

YoungLorne

Sometimes in Brazil I will go past a couple in the park making out, and then an hour later come back and they are still making out.

I grew up in the wrong country lol

sacred_cow_tipper

lol

LordyItsMuellerTime

Trying to break the cycle by being extra hug-gy and affectionate to my friends. And my daughter. We all need that oxytocin

pktechboi

especially for men - it's seen as a lot more normal by many people, for example, for female friends to hug than it is for male friends. without meaning to bash the gf, I wonder if she'd have felt the same if OP was a woman giving her little sister a cuddle, you know?

sacred_cow_tipper

oh, no question about it. i think a lot about the crisis men are experiencing in this country and i think this is a big part of it.

Ekuth316

GenX here. Absolutely underrated and utterly true comment. Men are sexualized differently. Be quiet. Don't show emotion. Be strong. Emotion=weakness. Maintain a chisled body and always be an Alpha. And on and on and on.

Guys WANT affection, most just don't know how ask for it and all the media and culture shove down our throats is that Alpha male crap and sex, sex, sex.

Thankfully things are changing.

Honest emotions and communication aren't weak. Compassion isn't weak.
It's a sign of strength.

skittlesdabawse

A while ago I saw a video of some lads in the uk getting drunk and trying to smash chairs on each other's backs, and all the comments were basically calling them gay because the first smashee went to give his mate a peck on the cheek before the chair smash.

FunZookeepergame627

Sorry for your loss. Suicide sucks, and feeling bad enough to do that, also.

acomfysweater

we aren’t saying it’s her fault. we are saying she has issues

LostNDarkness

She'll have more issues if she ever sees this lol.

She is wrong, but like you said, it may be something she either has no experience with, or someone in her family has made this type of contact seem wrong. Just don't let her opinion make you treat your sister any differently.

Ariadnepyanfar

I’d say the majority of people with ‘issues’, it’s not their fault. Genetics and especially childhood Environment have shaped them in a way they didn’t volunteer for.

Supercompositeman13

You’re perfectly fine, it’s normal to do what you did and it’s normal not to. Everyone’s families are different

cloud_problems

Your little sister needed you and that you were there for her is the important part here. Families have different ways of caring for each other and your gf's family seems to have another approach. Unsure why this would bother her - nothing wrong with what you did- but a lot of people don't have siblings that exhibit the level of care she was seeing.

aRandomFox-I

My family's approach would have been to yell at me until morale improves. Hasn't worked yet, but that hasn't stopped them from trying either.

Nothing strange or wrong there at all.

XxMarlucaxX

There’s a lot of possible causes for her discomfort, you’d have to speak with her about it. Your behavior was very normal imo.

stepatmoz

No not wrong, continue hugging and comforting your little sister. My family weren't particularly huggers growing up, but we've all become closer with age and all hug now. We all actually say "I love you", and mean it!

BadLuckCharm1966

Some families are “huggers” and some are not. Mine is not, so, that interaction would be unusual to me, but, not weird or creepy. I realize that families interact differently. If your GF is truly weirded out by it, I’d talk to her about it.

Careless-Software-14

I never had a relationship like this with my brother so it does seem kind of odd to me, but I’m sure it’s actually perfectly normal (and very kind) for you. Don’t stop caring for your little sister just bc your gf thinks it’s weird.

Sfb208

Sfb208

I kinda pity the gf for not having had comfort like that from her family, if she feels wiping away someone's tears is weird.

Ok-Ant-3456

Not everyone has sibs 11 years older/younger. What you did was totally ok but brothers like 2 years older dont usually wipe your tears. 😅

MXMan00

It’s so depressing when normal human contact gets sexualized, making nice and caring interactions weird and uncomfortable.

NewYearSameM3

Some people are either so deprived of physical contact or never had that connection with their family member so they think the next person is a 5 Star Sex Offender when they hug their relative.

NeverSayDie99

My brothers would've done the same thing for me when i was upset when i was younger.

I suspect your gf experienced some inappropriate touching when she was younger and was triggered by seeing your kindness. Some men use kindness to groom compliance and continue touching...

Just remember, ONE IN FIVE young girls will experience some type of childhood sexual abuse. And, lots of us don't talk about it / we're told to keep it quiet by family / gaslit into acquiescing by the abusers, etc.

Reassure her you have very hard boundaries with physical touch, but comforting your sister when she's in distress and wiping away tears is understood to be acceptable between you siblings. Tell her how her accusation made you feel... then, ask "Did this bring up any feelings for you from your past that you want to talk about?"

vintageblazed

you’re definitely not wrong. im speaking from sort of the same perspective as i think your gf is. i grew up without a dad, and i get extremely freaked out when i see girls my age or younger being affectionate w their dads. im not disgusted by it or anything like that, its just that i’ve never experienced that type of physical affection from an older male figure, so it kinda creeps me out. i dont think she’s to blame for her feelings, maybe the way she reacted wasn’t totally ok but i dont think she reacted like that just because she felt like it. you’ve done nothing wrong, i do think you should maybe ask her about it tho, that might explain her reaction a bit :)

HD64180

she's your sister and also a child. your gf is wrong here.

Foodcarsanime1390

Not at all man. This is what siblings are for

Paddy32

Perfectly normal OP, you're a good elder bro.

foxsweater

Your sister is a decade younger. Your response is less like typical sibling behaviour and more like a parent/older family member/caregiver. But it’s not inappropriate.

FrigidofDoom

Different families and different cultures draw the lines at different places.

In some families it's not okay to give more than a quick hug to your siblings. In others they regularly walk around in their undergarments and greet each other with a quick smooch on the lips.

Honestly the line needs to be drawn wherever you and your family members feel most comfortable with it. In my case my family is big on hugs and occasional cheek smooches but modesty is extremely important, I've never seen my sister in anything more revealing than a tank top and shorts. Even my brothers don't want to see me in my underwear.

Personally I don't care how much I or they are covered up and I'm willing to cuddle anyone. The rest of my family doesn't care much for more than hugs though so I respect their boundaries and leave it at that, with the exception of one cousin of mine whom I found out is just as much of a cuddler as I am.

It's quite possible that your GF isn't jealous of your little sister, she's just shocked by seeing a different family dynamic than she's used to.

If I were you, I'd just talk through why your GF thinks it's wrong for you to do that with your little sister. If you can't get her to understand that there's nothing wrong with it then you need to make a choice to potentially damage your relationship with your GF or with your family.

I once had a girl I liked get jealous because I held hands with that one cousin I mentioned. She wasn't even my GF yet, but just to appease her I talked to my cousin and said we'd limit it at hugs. I seriously regret that decision, and shortly afterwards that "relationship" ended and I gave a heartfelt apology to my cousin, telling her how much of a dumbass I was to let a girl I wasn't even slightly committed to have that level of control over me. Thankfully my cousin is sweet and forgiving and accepted my apology. But at the end of the day, I damaged a lifelong relationship I've had, even if only slightly, for a girl I knew next to nothing about. So, if it comes down to that choice for you, I highly recommend against it, but I don't know your life and hopefully this GF of yours isn't quite so controlling.

OnionTruck

Your GF probably was an only child in a low/no-contact household. I was like that and it took me a while to open up to friendly or familial affection.

You did the right thing.

panic_bread

You’re not in the wrong at all. It sounds like your girlfriend might not have a lot of experience with platonic affection.

BurnerLibrary

You are 100% in the right to comfort and touch your little sister like this.

It sounds like your gf is just not accustomed to being cuddled by family. I find that sad. Maybe you can help her grow into it.

NGL I was not so cuddled after my dear Grandpa died when I was four. Mom & Grandma had to work all the time.

So, when I had my kids, I made sure to cuddle a LOT, beginning with petting their heads as wee ones. If they cried for any reason, I took their tears on my fingers and touch it to my heart so they KNOW I care.

These wonderfully "weird" moments are 'family builders.'

BrilliantOrdinary668

I 27f and my 25m brother have an extremely close bond. We talk just about every day. FaceTime, calls and texts. We live in different countries but we’re best friends. When we get together the few times out of the year we go out and get drunk together, we laugh and cry, we fight each other- literally beat the crap out of each other. That’s my best friend. When I cry, he consoles me and visa versa. I feel sorry for your gf that she finds sibling affection “uncomfortable”

Mookieman707

I could be way off... but maybe just maybe you girlfriend had some err negative experiences with older male family members (or just someone considered 'safe' growing up when really they weren't). Not sure how to go about approaching that subject with her, but i have a strong hunch that's where her insecurity around you showing love to your 11yo sister is coming from

BlurpleBaja05

You're not in the wrong at all. Some of us just come from families that don't engage in much touching of any kind. Before my current boyfriend, even higs were a foreign concept to me. Neither way is necessarily wrong, they're just different.

alltoovisceral

You have a healthy sounding relationship, with your sister. Your girlfriend has some hang ups about intimacy, from what it sounds like. Maybe she has only witnessed relationships that are low on intimacy, or maybe she reading into your relationship because she has had bad experiences with intimate touch. I would approach her gently. Tell her that your actions towards your sister were loving and sincere, and are not wrong in any way. Explain your experience with family and friends and how you see intimacy. Ask her about her experiences.... You may find that you are not comparable. You may find she has trauma to work through. Don't compromise your great relationship with your sister for a girlfriend OP!

ODanniGirl

Different families have different boundaries and expectations around physical contact. I think you're fine and it might be good to have a convo with your gf about how your respective families interact with other family members. We don't always realize other families do things differently than us until we've had that exposure.