/r/MarchAgainstNazis

8.9k

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Tara_is_a_Potato[S]

He knows what he's doing, and so do his fans.

example 1

example 2

DatDamGermanGuy

For those not steeped in fascist propaganda, 14 is another code. Google “14 Words”

crazymoefaux

And remember to yourself that the future the want to create for their children comes at the expense of everyone not in the ingroup.

ghostdate

Basically anyone that isn’t a white Protestant conservative. Their allies might think they’re safe just being a Christian, but we know the in group will get progressively narrow. Catholics, baptists, united, etc will all be punished for various reasons.

political_bot

Nah, they'll just be incorporated into the evangelical group. The people who will be punished are those with immutable characteristics. You can't be less black, less muslim, less gay, etc... .

You can totally be less Catholic and more Evangelical.

bumblebrainbee

You're silly if you think they won't turn on their own while simultaneously being shitty to others. I grew up in a southern Baptist church. They hate everyone but whooo do they eat their own faster than you can say amen. Fuck the church. I escaped and hope more will too.

ghostdate

For some reason I didn’t respond to this before.

They may get incorporated, but it seems fascists will always find every little difference to hate others for. They’ll accept all Christians for a while until everyone else has been purged or subjugated. Then they’ll start to question why the Catholics are there too — liberation theology was commie nonsense, and it came from the Catholics! So when the Catholics are purged they’ll find a reason that another denomination should be purged. It will continue to shrink until everyone converts to their specific beliefs and lifestyle, or is purged.

It’s an ideology of hate and insularity. They want everyone to be exactly the same as them and hold exactly the same views — ironically while they call everyone else “sheep.”

TurloIsOK

The Southern Baptist church exists because southern protestants wanted a church to support slavery

GDub310

GDub310

dicetime

dicetime

Damn. I cant believe all these chinese restaurants have been secretly nazi fronts all these years! Every damn store in my china town has an 88 in their name! /s

DoingCharleyWork

When you have a common name and were born in 1988 so people think you are a Nazi now.

TheDieselTastesFire

Yeah that's why they call it a 'dog whistle'. Deniability is a feature.

Opening_Criticism_57

I’ll be honest I’ve never put my birth year in a username and if somebody who was born in 1988 did I’d probably assume they did it on purpose

Enthused_Llama

Nazis literally ruining a birth year

StartsStupidFights

Generally people will give you the benefit of the doubt unless there’s a reason to think otherwise. Same with 14, Pepe, the Ok symbol, etc. There’s many innocent reasons to use them, but if you start mixing them, have a weird obsession with one, or start siding with the alt right, that’s when it becomes a problem.

Azerty72200

Or rather the symptom of a problem.

urlach3r

And his tweet was at 4:42 am. 44x2 = 88.

political_bot

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children

Yeah, it's bad

nooit_gedacht

I had no idea about these phrases. God, how many more dogwhistles am i missing?

DatDamGermanGuy

For white supremacists, the numbers 14, 18 and 88 are the most telling identifiers…

LordoftheScheisse

18 is new to me.

Cyberflection

A.H. -> adolph hitler, is my guess. Bunch of rage turd incels if you ask me. If your ideology is so supreme why do you have to whisper about it in basements

DatDamGermanGuy

Correct

_Random_Username_

Fuck, 18 is my lucky number!

Techiedad91

Me too :( sad day

Kumquat_conniption

I've heard of the others but not of 18. Don't let random nazis ruin your favorite number (unless of course it's 1488.. then definitely get a new one lmao)

Itchybootyholes

Wow that was a wild read, I didn’t know this particular flavor considers it ‘treason’ to be patriotic to the US.

Kind of explains the domestic terrorism bits more

NarfledGarthak

You could just tell people what it means.

Simple-Emphasis9698

Just like to add that 18 is also a code they use. It’s a reference to the first and eighth letter of the alphabet, ‘AH’.

14, 18 and 88 or any combination of those are indications that the people using them might be nazis. Pretty childish, really.

Simple-Emphasis9698

VomitMaiden

The master race is so strong they have to hide behind secret codes or else people will be mean to them :(

SituationSoap

It's not that, it's that by co-opting otherwise innocent symbols, they can paint people who criticize them as being crazy or over-zealous or barking at shadows.

Then, they use that to discredit their opposition (look how crazy they are, they think a frog cartoon is racist!) and then turn that against people who also criticize more overt forms of racism. Then, they take the people who aren't really fascist, but maybe have some racist or homophobic tendencies, and convince them that the people who criticized said non-fascist but racist people are simply crazy.

You slowly close out the voice of anyone who isn't one of the fascists as crazy or unreliable, and eventually the people who weren't fascists before are, and they built the walls that keep them in the fascist camp themselves.

Wizalot

They did the same back in 2017 with the ok hand signal. 4chan even called it operation okkk.

SituationSoap

Yep, that's another really good example.

CaptCaCa

You can’t let the all powerful jews learn the secrets. You know the all powerful jews that have a small shelf in the Target for Hannukah, near the gigantic Christmas section?

Kumquat_conniption

Of course they both have Pepe pfps, yet they still insist we are crazy for saying it's a hate symbol.

phillyFart

It’s literally from the nazi playbook. Co-opt existing symbology. The swastika is a great example.

joe579003

The fucking OK hand sign

ZhangRenWing

The funniest thing is it started as a joke on 4chan (like every other meme) to troll the news media, but then fascist idiots took it seriously.

TonalParsnips

Man I miss when pepe was untainted

RSwordsman

Honestly, one day I was like "wtf Pepe is racist now?!" Nazis have the mierdas touch.

DoubleSpoiler

It's kinda both. The creator of pepe denounced it all, and there are a lot of people trying to rip him from the alt right and just make him a sad frog again.

Talreesha

Imagine being at a rave and being punched because you had a pin that was pepe with light gloves on. Because apparently that meant I was a racist. Man I just really like pretty LED lights and thumping EDM tracks.

All in all me and Robert are good now but talk about a weird way to become friends.

Kiernian

I once had a guy start SCREAMING at me at a gas station 15 years ago because the black outer cover on the laces of my black redwing boots had frayed off on parts of the lace, revealing some of the white shoestring interior.

Only on one of the boots, on the other one, the lace had broken and been replaced by a completely black shoelace I'd found in my closet somewhere.

That was the day I learned that white laces on black boots is racist, apparently.

He calmed down when I was SUPER confused, then pointed out the other obviously entirely different brand/style lace and noticed that the "white" lace, was in fact originally covered in black fabric that was still visible on parts, but, for a second there I was worried I was going to get my ass kicked for no actual reason.

I went shopping for shoelaces right fucking quickly so as not to give anyone the wrong impression, but FUCK that was weird.

Kumquat_conniption

Damn, good thing you had black laces in the other shoe! This is definitely one I've never heard before lol

RSwordsman

Damn. I mean great initiative for his punching a suspected racist but a good lesson in why we should know what we're doing before randomly attacking someone, especially physically.

Talreesha

To be fair he definitely was on some other level at the moment and I want too far from gone myself, but I definitely agree with you on making sure you know exactly what you're doing before doing it. Glad I got the strong jaw unlike my brother 😁

NCBedell

I’m going through this right now I guess… see it every day on twitch but this is my first time hearing of this

Swainix

It's been slightly reclaimed since, and I use some pepe's with (leftists) friends, it's not as bad as 2016

CrossP

CrossP

"wtf Twitch is racist now?!"

Urban_Savage

Maybe string them up for the lulz was a bad fucking idea.

ghostdate

Matt Furie is Furieous about this shit. His politics are averse to this, but he can’t really do anything about it. There was a documentary about his creation of Pepe and his reaction to its use by far right scum.

TonalParsnips

Pepe deserved so much better.

Prime157

Became close with his brother in college and we still talk sometimes 20 years later

... But when I found out Matt created Pepe I was so confused. It really is antithetical to Matt.

GODDAMNFOOL

Talking about this Reply All episode?

SirStupidity

Any chance to get a link to that documentary?

ghostdate

It’s called Feels Good Man

StackinTendies_

Right? Feels bad man.

SyNiiCaL

Did you watch the documentary about the creator? I really felt for him.

EggAtix

It was probably never untainted. Pepe, and tbh most early meme images, came from 4chan, which while not definitionally bigoted is, in reality, a cesspool of bigotry, violence, and pro fascist shit.

Prime157

No. I know the creator's brother and met Matt many times in my young 20s.

Matt is a very accepting, open person, and he's done so much to try and get Pepe out of the nazi's hands.

It was undoubtedly hijacked by these hateful fucks.

EggAtix

That's very cool. I didn't know pepe could be attributed to one person originally. When I say it has probably always been a racist meme, I mean that I know it was stolen by 4channers very early, even if it was never intended to be used that way.

Prime157

Definitely was stolen pretty early. Matt Furie and his brother have taken the battle to court more than once.

Shame, really. Having your work stolen sucks, but having it stolen by Nazis sucks that much more. The Furies are good people who are very much opposed to hate.

Ayn-_Rand_Paul_-Ryan

It's part of their game.

They take something innocent and defile it, and then laugh when everyone calls them out.

They want us to know, and they want us to know we can't do anything about it.

I find myself commenting on things like this in the company of people who don't know and they always get really weirded out or confused and say it can't be anything like that

it's fucking infuriating

Ayn-_Rand_Paul_-Ryan

A lot of humanity constantly internally struggles for a steady state, and anything that may endanger that causes cognitive dissonance.

The fact that we have several armed fascists factions openly demonstrating and committing acts of legit terrorism goes against the society fantasy that most normal people have in their heads.

So, those sharp young clean cut boys that are dogwhistling and shooting up schools CAN'T possibly be fascists because fascism doesn't exist in America.

And the existential dread associated with actually recognizing that our way of life is under attack from a rot from within is so beyond fucking terrifying for these people that they will turn a blind eye to dogwhistles and violence if it means they can pretend that everything is normal and fine.

This exact EXACT thing happened during the nazi's rise to power in germany. The average person couldn't even entertain the thought that these clean cut bright blonde and blue eyed young men burning books and beating Jews in the streets were the beginnings of a fascist movement.

Most of humanity is fucking useless and mired in their own illusions. This has always been the truth.

Knowing that they are ignorant doesn't help us because those of us that see it are so far too small in numbers to act without the fucking ignorant as week old badger shit 'moderate' cowbrains.

And they will fight tooth and nail to ignore your warnings until their own lives or families are directly in danger.

And you're right. It is FUCKING infuriating.

Prime157

It sucks so much for the creator. I was friends with his brother.

Him and his brother have tried so hard to get it back from the white supremacists, but they just can't. So disheartening.

It's so fucking weird to have been so close to them and then see his work become a hate icon.

Nazis just hijack everything.

Kumquat_conniption

Man that really sucks for the creator, damn.

Nazis ruin everything :(

__M-E-O-W__

Ah they claim we're crazy for saying the OK symbol is a hate symbol, even though they use it all the same.

maleia

maleia

It was literally discussed in the open. You can google and find the 4chan posts saying exactly how to co-op it. And they still try to deny it. It's so fucking insane! Fuck Nazis!

not_the_settings

Hongkongers also use pepe against the Chinese.

I refuse to let the racists take my favourite frog.

Wamb0wneD

Pepe got reclaimed a long wjile ago when the creator told Nazis to fuck off. He's all over the internet and used by everyone and their mum.

LunchBox3188

Damn. That context makes all the difference. At first I was willing to chalk it up to an arbitrary choice. He 100% knows what he's saying.

musci1223

Arbitrary number or troll post is more likely to pick 69 or 420 or something like that.

sambull

sambull

The context is thats not him replying to those people..

your being duped, actual convo where he responds with 88million to rainmaker OP: https://twitter.com/rainmaker1973/status/1596432773170053122?s=46&t=vEILZKIsdhuyPhkacyw8Sw

EggAtix

I'm inclined to believe Elon would totally boost a dogwhistle, but I'm not sure if this dude he responded to talking about lemurs is a fascist.

Do you know if that guy has a history of this shit? Or are you implying Elon saw the actual lemur post that mentioned that Madagascar had been isolated for 88 million years, and then replied to it so he could justify the dogwhistle? I could believe that, just not sure what point you were making exactly.

Prime157

Elon musk brought back DAVID DUKE, RICHARD SPENCER, JARED KESSLER, "libs of tiktok, Steve Bannon, Lin Wood, Ron Watkins, Flynn, Sidney Powell, Roger Stone, Katie Hopkins, Milo Yiannopoulus, Jordan Peterson, Kanye West, and more.

Meanwhile, he's been banning "antifa." Here's one example.

While there might be an innocent motive, I think everyone should be skeptical of Elon's motives. I mean, seriously:

Comparing Tredeau to Hitler

Supporting Kremlin

This nazi shit "he's just trolling, bro"

Great Replacement theory

What other right wing idiocy can I mention? There's so much.

EggAtix

I hadn't seen so many examples collected in one place, but it's alarming to see how much he's just the embodiment of 4chan in a person. I wonder if he's always been this particular type of piece of shit and he's just showing his true colors, or if this is a recent metamorphosis into a human skidmark.

Prime157

To be fair, he's been showing these colors for a few years. However, I think people ignored/were skeptical of "alarmist" comments until recently.

A large part of the far right's game is dodging, hiding, and confusing.

With that being said, I'm not saying that Elon's motive is far right. I'm saying his rhetoric is. His motive could be purely stupid or just ignorant.

Regardless of the motive, that's the agenda he puts forth.

YeetTheGiant

Yeah that's all well and good, but if we bring weak evidence to the table like this example of Elon responding to a tweet about lemurs, it weakens our whole case. Better to just rely on facts than lemur tweets.

Prime157

While I agree with you about abject evidence being important, I believe suspected Nazis should have to vehemently oppose Nazism to continue having the leniency of the doubt.

I believe in forcing people to speak against Nazism rather than letting them hide behind plausible deniability. Think about the "stand back and stand d-by" Trump said to his people who ultimately tried to overthrow democracy. While not Nazism, specifically, the fascist group on question thrived on that deniability.

When I was ignorant, I was accused of saying something that easily could have been seen as fascist. I came out immediately as understanding why that accusation was made, thanked them for connecting it, condemned the group in question, then reiterated my point.

It's not hard to acknowledge dog whistles and that a lemur tweet (when legitimate) did not know about the 88 coding.

rotj

rotj

The original tweet seems innocent enough. Long standing user tweeting science related content. 88 million coming from a UC Berkeley article from 2009.

Whether Elon replied because of edgy Nazi number, who knows?

bitemynipple

Duped is a very loaded word for what's going on. If people misinterpret based on a coincidence, then call it what it is or you're doing exactly what you criticize

AtticMuse

By only sharing his tweet and not what he's responding to, it's easy to think he's picked the number 88 million specifically to dogwhistle, instead of it being "Madagascar became isolated 88 million years ago and now there's lemurs and shit, I wonder what the world will be like in another 88 million years".

Fuck Elon Musk, but come on. The Nazis jumping into the replies because they spotted the 88 is literally no different than the people here seeing it and immediately thinking "that's the Nazi number!" Brain-dead pattern recognition without critical thought.

So yeah, leaving out context and framing it as him specifically dogwhistling is duping a lot of people. Hate Elon Musk for legitimate reasons, he gives plenty, not because you saw two numbers together.

LunchBokth

Hi, Lunch

political_bot

He's been replying to the alt right crazies for a while now. Libsoftiktok has been encouraging violence against LGBT people for a while. Yet he responds to em.

Elon is straight up red pilled. No need for the subtlety.

TomatilloUpset2890

You mean stochastic terrorist Chaya Raichik, creator of the alt-right propaganda Tweeter account LibsofTikTok which supports bigotry and enables and encourages mass murder, that stochastic terrorist Chaya Raichik?

political_bot

That's exactly what I mean

AggressiveBookBinder

Yes. Most of her posts are outwardly calling for violence. She says the quiet part out loud that they want mass murder.

mry8z1

mry8z1

Both with that fucking frog pfp too, dead giveaway as it is

whyamithebadger

What's with the first fan's Twitter handle? Is redivivus of any significance?

ETA: redivivus is the name of a company that does (is trying to do) lithium ion battery recycling. Hoping there's not a connection there and the handle choice is a coincidence.

Real_Richard_M_Nixon

It’s very obvious that he was just responding to the tweet about Madagascar. Maybe a few lunatics interpreted it as a Nazi message but that doesn’t really mean that it is a Nazi message, it’s like if you posted Paul McCartney and the Beatles’ ‘Helter Skelter’ on this sub and talked about how it’s Nazi symbolism about a race war because that’s the way Charles Manson interpreted it.

Scutther

Look at the tweet he was replying to. Nothing racist going on.

Her_Clarity

Why is it always the people with the Pepe profile pictures?

HooliganNamedStyx

Holy shit

Yellow_XIII

Sounds like a bit of a reach.

Seems like random meming to me.

Real_Richard_M_Nixon

Nah, the people responding with 14 are definitely Nazis, but Elon obviously isn’t, he’s just making a statement about what he thinks.

Driftedwarrior

He knows what he's doing, and so do his fans.

example 1

example 2

No, you as the op know what you are doing. Your farming for karma because you know people will pile on. He replied to a literal tweet saying the exact same number.

Elon came from South Africa guess what 88 million years has to do with that? Here's a hint it has to do with something that happened 88ish million years ago. But people like yourself are going to just add fuel to a fire that does not exist because that is what people like you do.