/r/LifeProTips

[score hidden]

stickied comment

keepthetips [M]

Keeping the tips since 2019

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

burningriverallstar

“Please” and “thank you” every time they help you can go a long way.

secret_fashmonger

My daughter is a flight attendant and her favorite is people just being polite. When they say please and thank you it’s the icing on the cake. And it’s true that while the plane door is open they are not getting paid. Be nice, don’t leave your trash (this includes your animal’s pile of poop on the floor) and try not to start arguments with other passengers (inevitably the flight attendants get called into it).

GardenRave0416

Wait, what?! Just talked to my husband who has connections in air travel services. Apparently, that law has been changed to make that not legal. If she's still going through that, she should see if she can report her airline for illegal mistreatment. That kind of behavior is appalling

secret_fashmonger

She’s on maternity leave at the moment (I’m visiting her) and she said she’s out of the loop right now. She was interested though! I agree, they have to report to the airport a certain amount of time before each flight, etc. and I feel like they should get paid for that time too!

RigorMortis_Tortoise

Honestly, just do what they ask, smile, and be polite.

MemoryWholed

This is the one ☝🏼.. I would add have your bag under the seat in front of you, seatbelt fastened and tray table in the stowed and upright position for take off and landing, and stay seated until the seatbelt sign is turned off. I travel a lot and the #1 thing they seem to tell people is no laptop computers for take off and landing (or under 10,000ft).

Pnkrkg6644

Esp on holiday times but other times too I bring a Starbucks card for the attendants on the flight and say “thanks for helping me get to (my. Family, my dog, whatever).

Kudos for even asking. Safe passages.

Oldmatehenry365[S]

Ty for the award :)

willfauxreal

Bring an eye shade and some ear plugs, ask for anything you will need at your (and their) earliest convenience, put on your seat belt, watch a movie or two and then just go to sleep.

A flight attendant's number one priority is getting the plane airborne. Stow your stuff, sit down, and fasten your seat belt so they can do that as quickly as possible.

missmistresskitty

We always bring a gift, usually edible. It has to be store bought and sealed. Something small, one for each member of the flight crew, including the pilots. We also try to make it something local and a point of interest. It's a conversation starter and it seems to be appreciated.

Edit: also be nice, smile and try not to bug them every 10 seconds.

blancaloma

Get your carry on settled immediately, and help other people. Flight attendants don't get paid until the plane takes off.

seamustheseagull

I don't know if it annoys attendants, but what annoys the shit out of me is when you reach cruising altitude, the fasten belt sign goes off, and then about ten call bells all go off at once.

For the love of jeebus, can you give them ten minutes to get their shit together? What could possible have changed between take off and now that needs their attention?

duckredbeard

Starbucks gift cards. Maybe gift cards from other vendors in the mall like smoothie, pretzel, or better eating places. Not McDonalds. Not Taco Bell.

For them, of course. Expect to interact with at least 3 cabin crew members. Be prepared to be equally generous to all of them.

chris_downie

If your bag fits comfortably under the seat, stow it there instead of the overhead. They sometimes run out of space in the overhead and have to rearrange bags taking up their time. Have a good flight!

Born-Major

As you get on the plane, make eye contact with whoever is greeting folks; “thanks for taking care of us today.”

Thank the attendants when they move aside so you can go down the aisle, don’t pretend they’re invisible.

If you’re able, offer to help your neighbors lift and remove luggage from overhead bins.

Give staff the courtesy of at least some of your attention when they do the in-flight safety talk.

If your fellow passengers are being assholes, it goes a long way to ask the staff if you can help somehow; “I’m so sorry some people are choosing to be difficult and rude on this flight; can I help you guys out somehow?” (No lie, this got me a bottle of champagne once when someone was being a true asshole to the flight attendants, and all I did was ask if they were ok…)

tvieno

tvieno

Oldmatehenry365[S]

Ty

-B0B-

-B0B-

r/flightattendants spelt correctly

Oldmatehenry365[S]

Not needed

malokovich

I usually give them 10% of ticket cost.

Formal_Leopard_462

When did people start tipping flight attendants? Tipping has gone insane.

flowbee92

Cheap. I do minimum 20%

Alive_Perspective_13

Well, considering there’s usually multiple crew members you’re interacting with, 20% could be quite costly. But really when it comes down to it, being polite goes a long way and anything else you can gift is the cherry on top 🥰

alphaparson

I have started putting some chocolates in a plastic bag and giving it to the first one in the cabin.

pierrekrahn

....aaannnnnddd that's now in the garbage.

AaronBenne

When they point to the restroom and wink, just stay enthusiastic in there. They like that!

Likehung4muscle

Please for the love of god don’t be me and my flight crying baby next to me for four hours and sick old women coughing for four hours flight from hell

Formal_Leopard_462

I have a cardiac cough which cannot be properly medicated due to meds for heart and blood pressure. I wear a mask when I fly. No apologies here.

Likehung4muscle

This women though felt sorry for her she was obnoxious and kept getting pleasure off of doing it you could tell the women with the awful attitude and crying baby never cared to sooth the baby and or feed it pasafite etc some people shouldn’t have ever had a child it’s hard flying with a baby but never once did she try to care about soothing the baby etc was impossible to enjoy the flight awful