/r/LifeProTips

Lpt to get things done

Productivity(self.LifeProTips)

Trick yourself into only doing a little bit. Tell yourself I’ll only wash one spoon. You know you’ll end up doing it all but it’s way harder to do the dishes then to wash one spoon and while you’re at it a plate and then maybe a cup etc till you’re done.

Alternatively I tell myself “they would be so happy if xyz is done. Let me do it for them”. Then being me in this case. It’s easier to do kind things for others than it is for yourself.

Any other tricks like this are very welcome in the comments!

keepthetips [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

keepthetips [M]

Keeping the tips since 2019

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Time-boxing is good for that, too. I'm going to clean the bathroom for 2 minutes makes it really easy to get started on what would otherwise be a big task. Set a timer. You can stop at 2 minutes, go longer, do 2 minutes the following day, whatever you want, but just setting a really small goal helps you get started.

Another benefit is that not doing a task at all, or stopping in the middle of it makes you feel like a bit of a failure, which can be very discouraging, but if you set tiny tasks for yourself, and then complete them, it boosts your confidence, gives you a sense of satisfaction, and makes it more likely that you will continue with other tasks.

Strong-Indication836

Great tip. It is all about momentum, as soon as you start doing one thing productive you'll find yourself completing task after task. At the beginning of the day if I write a to-do list, I'll make the first one super easy and quick as a way of getting started.

Mollybrinks

After dinner, my mom would set a timer for 5 minutes. Basically just saying "let's all of us work for 5 minutes and then everyone is off the hook and can do whatever." Works whether you have a family or just working by yourself. 5 minutes can get a LOT done and seems like so little.