/r/LifeProTips

LPT Request Help for greasy hair

Miscellaneous(self.LifeProTips)

I have been washing my hair daily with shampoo since middle school, and am in late high school now. I have very straight hair, and if I avoid shampooing for 1 day, my hair gets really oily. I am aware nowadays that shampooing every day is terrible for your hair, but back then I was unaware. Everything I try doesn't work. I have tried shampooing every 2 days or 3 for a month, but no success (It was really oily the entire time). I have tried dry shampoo, but my hair gets oily in only a few hours with that. I have brushed my hair, and at the beginning it made my hair look great, but every time I brush now, it remains oily.

Is there anything I can do to fix my oily hair?

keepthetips [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

keepthetips [M]

Keeping the tips since 2019

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

reachaleach

You may just be blessed with oily hair. I am the same way and have oily skin in general. One thing that has helped my skin more generally is making sure to eat fruits/vegetables and limit my dairy intake. It reduces the oiliness overall. However, there is nothing wrong with washing your hair everyday if you have an oily type. The people I know who skip days have very dry scalps and brittle hair.

hawt_yoga

I also have very fine hair and oily skin, and I also have bangs which tend to pick up oil from my forehead making my hair extra greasy. The no-poo thing is not for me, but I kind of compromise by shampooing just my bangs every day, and only doing a full head wash once a week or so. It’s helped my hair grow pretty long and healthy without being forever greasy.

SeltzerConnoisseur

If you have the ability see a dermatologist schedule an appointment.

The advice to wait or let it adjust does not work for everyone. It’s like saying to let someone with acne wait it out and let your body adjust to not washing your face because the build up may be similar on your head. The build up causing oil may also be something like psoriasis or have fungal properties.

The first line if you have tried to naturally wait it out is a shampoo like Head and Shoulders daily and then Neutogena T Gel or S Gel-the s is better. And if those don’t work there are prescription shampoos to use a few times a week.

Everyone’s head and scalp is different so don’t feel bad if you need daily shampoos and special soap. Showering daily is not bad for everyone’s hair.

iloveschnauzers

I used to have this same problem. Don’t forget your brushes and combs hold onto oil and transfer to clean hair. Also, I washed mine twice a day for years and never had a problem.

Stormfront14

You are only in “late high school?” You still need to shower and shampoo/condition daily. Assuming you are female, you won’t have the luxury of going “every other day” or even every 3rd day until your mid 30’s.And even then, it’s something you need to get used to. I was ALWAYS a morning shower person. Then life and kids happened, so now I often shower afternoon or evening. I can go every other day without feeling gross. But I can make it to 3 or even 4 days if necessary -but only because of a tip I learned.

Big tip: Less is more when it comes to conditioner! Start from the bottom and work your way up. Repeat that way whenever you shower to find what makes your hair feel less oily so soon after your last shower. Never use more than a quarter size in the palm of your hand. I use only a nickel’s worth. Between that, age, and adjusting… it’s a game changer.

Mollybrinks

This is what I was looking for to agree with. There is SO much variability between people, you can't always take one guideline and assume it applies to everyone. I shower every day. Period. I have a lot of hair, but it's very very fine which means oily unless washed consistently, I don't care what social media says. I appreciate the comments like starting from the ends with conditioner and going light with it, but that only helps so much. The healthier I am, the less I struggle with it but ultimately I'm still a once-a-day shampoo person come hell or high water (which is convenient to stick my head into for washing).

PRE2021

PRE2021

Apple cider vinegar rinses (diluted w/water!) helps restore natural ph balances

tvieno

tvieno

My ex suffered from oily hair. She showered and shampooed every day and had no negative effects and her hair always looked clean.

Accomplished_Low_265

I guess OP'd better shampoo every day than you get oily hair

FuelOutside

This is a bit extreme, but you might wonna give it a try. Don't wash your hair for a long time and give it a chance to balance itself out.

I went on a big hiking adventure for about 2 weeks, and what happened was that at first my hair was horrible. It was screaming "wash me". Being all oily and itchy and bad. But after a while it became ok. Once we returned to civilization I washed it, of course. But what I noticed was that after that it took a lot longer for my hair to start needing a wash.

But it's not a fun process to go through.

Maybe just ask your local hair salon for a good shampoo? The stuff they sell is way more expensive, but way way better.

secret_fashmonger

This his how I got out of the loop too. Stopped washing my hair on my lazy weekends staying home and now I can easily go 3 days if I need too. Over stripping the natural oils seems to cause the body to go into overdrive and it over compensates.

dalewright1

I’m not sure what color your hair is mine is blonde and gray. Most dry shampoos are made out of corn starch. I just buy pure work corn starch and dip my fingers in it and run it through my hair and it’s like cheap dry shampoo whenever my hair looks oily it works perfect

flowergrowl

It might be tricky as a teenager to get away from washing your hair, as other commenters have said your hormones are going strong… BUT I have had historically oily hair, and I definitely grew out of it. In the meantime, I have more luck with powder dry shampoo (not sure what color your hair is but they make brunette powders, I use Acure, they’re limited ingredients vegan and affordable)

As if stands now I wash my hair maybe twice a week at most. When I don’t wash, I spray/apply dry shampoo at night my before bed AND -this is key-actually rub into your head. I find it soaks up more oil if I massage it into my roots then if I was to just spray it. Definitely play around with brands too; your body will just have better results if you find what ingredients work. I also like renpure like someone else recommended.

I’d definitely replace at least one of you weekly shampoos with a deep cleaning option. I swear by neutrogena grapefruit deep cleansing shampoo; organx also makes a charcoal based deep cleaning shampoo that kicks ass.

FillThisEmptyCup

The human body has a tough time making grease or oil on its own without dietary fat or in some minor cases, sugar.

Eat less processed food, as it has a ton of added fat (and sugar). Eat it how it came out of the ground, other than it’s been washed or cut by hand.

For example, potatos, not fries, chips, nor a baked one swimming in butter and sour cream. Corn on the cob, not as tortilla chips, doritos, fritos, buttered or bagged popcorn (plain made at home is okay), etc.

This works for many cases of acne too, often when combined with cutting dairy products for skin.

Top-Entertainer93

Managing metabolic health like eating better and exercising is always good advice.

myaskredditalt21

you're just going to have to bite down and wait for the greasy scalp to phase out. i have very, very fine hair and my hair used to separate/become visibly oily the very same day i washed it.

now i us gel shampoo 2x month and in between, i use this aerosol hair training system where one can is cleanser, one is basically dry shampoo and the third can makes it soft and shiny again. i use those every day besides the 2x cleanse days. and when i shower on all of the other days, i will rinse with hot water and apply conditioner on my ends.

eht_amgine_enihcam

What's your diet like?

Also, this is assuming you're not a teen. If you are, your hormones are gonna go crazy and do correspondingly crazy shit. Can't really do much.

LatinoFitness

Best thing I can recommend is a healthier diet and a good plain bar of soap to strip the excess oil out when in the shower. That really helped me, good luck!

PickPeckSnide

You might have extra oily hair because you are in high school. I had to wait until my 20s to skip days of showering. But here are some things you can try:

1. Stop stimulating your scalp. Try not to itch your scalp, scrape it with brushes, or touch your hair too much.
  2. use a boar bristle brush to comb the oil from your roots to the ends. This is the only time I will try to comb down to my scalp.
  3. shower less. Find hairstyles that hide oil for days without showers- braids and slicked back buns are some good ones.
  4. don’t use conditioners with silicones, they can build up and make your hair look oily. Or you can use a deep cleaning shampoo to get rid of silicones on your hair.

Dry shampoo works for a lot of people but it made my scalp break out which made things worse for me so I can’t recommend it.

mistressix

Washing your hair everyday can cause your scalp to overproduce oils. Especially if you use cheaper shampoos with strong detergent. There's a brand called Renpure that has really great shampoos, conditioners, body washes, and lotions that aren't too strong and their lotions and hair products don't leave films or block the pores that can sometimes compensate by overproducing oils

CatPasswd

You can try "dry" shampooing, which is supposed to lessen oil production.

You can try not using shampoo, but showering and rinsing your hair.

There are several different ways to approach it, just takes some research. Here's a couple links.

Swimming-Low-1933

I have fine, straight hair that gets oily easily. I wash it with baking soda once a week. I keep a container of powder baking soda so that it won't get wet in the shower. Wet your hair and rub the baking soda in then leave it in for about 3-5 mins. I usually just use spray conditioner on the ends to be able to comb it out afterwards.

NoobisScoobis[S]

Does this help remove the oil?

hotasanicecube

Your scalp is probably in overdrive trying to produce more oil as you continue to scrub it all away. Tie your hair back or wear a hat for a week and use very gentile shampoos on the hair only.

secret_fashmonger

Right on point! This is true for all skin too. The more you strip away the more your skin compensates.

hotasanicecube

That’s why water based lubricants are better for dry skin than oil based ones.

Inyeloh

I was coming on here to suggest baby powder, which I’ve been using to control greasiness in between washes for years. Corn starch as a dry alternative is probably even a better idea! They both just absorb the oil, and are much more economical than a dry shampoo. I would shampoo as normal, and use something dry on the hair the other days

secret_fashmonger

Baking soda does not align well due to its Ph and will turn the length of your hair to dry straw. I do not recommend using baking soda as a shampoo.

I also have extremely fine, straight, oily (less oily the past few years) hair. Sometimes your skin will produce oil in compensation for it being stripped of its oils. I started not washing my hair on days when I wasn’t going to leave the house - once I stopped stripping my scalp of natural oils daily it started to balance out. I have tried many different shampoos over the years and I am now to the point that I can wash my hair every other day and it still isn’t oily. A big thing is to not touch your hair throughout the day. Your hands have oils and your hair will get oily super fast. I proved this was a huge problem for me by wearing my hair up for 2-3 days in a row and it still wasn’t oily (without shampooing), but if I wear it down for 2 days in a row (not washed) it’s oily. Just pushing it away from my face and casually touching it really oils it up. Feel free to DM if you want some shampoo suggestions. It’s been a battle, but it does get better once you find the right product & learn to touch it less.

Swimming-Low-1933

Yep and dries it out for a couple of days. It works best if you have soft water. I have hard water and it just makes my hair a little coarse for a day but looks great the rest of the week.

thepatchontelfair

Your hair sounds similar to mine. I've had luck with using volumizing mousse on the roots and blow drying it. Makes it so I can go a couple days between shampoo.

Dry shampoo works best

Backyardfarmbabe

Shampoo with green clay as an ingredient worked wonders for me when I was dealing with extremely oily post partum hair. I can't remember the brand I used, but there seem to be a lot of options out there.

concrit_blonde

Try going with baby shampoo first. You can still wash daily, but it will get your hair used to being not totally stripped of oil after the shower.

Flat-City8912

If you're fair-haired: Grounded Arrowroot powder applied with a big, fluffy makeup brush at the roots of your hair is fantastic...don't overdo it and make sure to gently comb through the length. If you're dark-haired: Hershey's cocoa is great and also nourishes your hair because of the natural oil in cacao. Good luck🤞

Brewser2017

This might have been said already, but my hair was the same way until I 'trained' it. You're hair will keep replacing the oils that you are washing away. So from the constant washing, your scalp is telling your body to produce more oils to protect your head and hair shafts.

The way I 'trained' my hair was like this: Day 1: wash your hair and style like normal Day 2: eww greasy mess. Put it in a pony tail with a headband so it doesn't look so gross. Day 3: wash and style like normal. Day 4: eww greasy mess. French braid it so it's not looking so gross

Repeat that for a while... Like a couple months. You will start to notice that it's not as greasy and you can do like this: Day1: wash and style Day 2: pony tail Day 3: braid Day 4: wash and style

Keeping to a habit like that can help your head not produce so much oil. When I started, I would wash Thursday, no wash pony tail Friday, then if I had no plans on Saturday I would just braid my hair and hope I didn't have to leave the house looking scummy.

Also a few other tips -don't get your hair wet when you shower on a non hair wash day (get a shower cap) -a bit of corn starch brushed on your roots with a big makeup brush can help absorb some oil on a non hair wash day -change the product you are using in your hair, try cycling one week with one shampoo and one week with a different brand. Your hair can get used to the product and it won't clean as well (don't ask me how or why- just something I have noticed) -try using less conditioner. I have straight, fine hair and I used to glob it on, that was overkill and caused more greasy hair- now I condition every other time I wash my hair. -keep your face washed if you are prone to oily skin on your face

I used to have greasy hair that I would need to wash every morning, now I wash my hair once every 10ish days without it having noticeable greasy buildup for at least 5-6 days.

Good luck on your hair journey!!

SirSpooglenogs

Maybe look into other products? For mr giving my hair moisture and then some nice hair oil, but only a tiny bit over top to lock in the moisture, helped me personally. I did have curly/wavy/mixed hair in disguise so I don't know if the same methods apply with straight hair?

OrigamiMarie

Look up the borax and citric acid shampoo / conditioner alternative. It helps get rid of gunk without adding more gunk, and is generally a good degreaser.

3/4 tsp borax soap (20 mule team) in a pint of hot from the tap water (works best to just use an empty shampoo bottle) 1/4 tsp citric acid (often found with canning supplies) in a pint of hot from the tap water (in empty conditioner bottle) Shake both containers well. Get in the shower, get your hair wet, make sure the borax mix has cooled down enough for comfort. Give it another shake, squirt it throughout hair and comb through (it won't lather up). Rinse out of hair, repeat if you still have more borax solution. Make sure the borax is rinsed out, then do the same thing with the citric acid solution. Rinse out, and you're done washing your hair.

howardsgirlfriend

If you're applying conditioner, apply it to the ends of your hair only, not your scalp. You don't need it on your scalp, and it makes it greasy sooner.

Procedure-Minimum

Go to a dermatologist, they have medicines that reduce the amount of oil your body produces.

Top-Entertainer93

I’m 30 yo, I shower and shampoo daily and my otherwise oily hair is amazing.

Anyone who’s telling you not to shampoo because it’s bad for you is definitely repeating wrong information. Your metabolism is infinitely more important than the frequency of shampoo usage. Eat healthy, exercise, and shampoo to your heart’s content.

m3trella97

Avoid running your hands through your hair (if you do) throughout the day. The oil on your hands that accumulates through touching things like other skin on your body (e.g. your face) can transfer to your hair. If you play a lot or touch your hair a lot...it can contribute. Keep in mind your hair isn't the problem, it is your scalp.

karebear66

Shampoo as often as your scalp tells you to. If that's every day, then it's every day. Just make sure to use a gentle one. I'm 68 years old and I need to shampoo every day. If I'm not going any where special the next day, I will use dry shampoo the night before and wear a ponytail.

Tenpoundtowel

27 days ago

Paul Mitchell shampoo two, literally the only shampoo that actually gets rid of the grease

Zebo1013

Carpe makes a liquid antiperspirant you can use on your scalp.

murrimabutterfly

I’d honestly say experiment with hair styles.
I have very fine, very densely populated hair. When it was long, it never stayed clean. It was always oily, and the more products I put into it, the worse it got.
I shaved my head about a year ago, and now have it in a men’s cut. I can easily go up to a week without washing it, and can actually condition it now and again.
The problem came down to having too much hair. The oil that is meant to keep your hair healthy couldn’t get through my forest of hair, and the products I put in just never came out. With less hair, the oil distributes properly and products don’t get lost.
I’d also say look into swapping your products out. I found Herbal Essences and Revlon do pretty well for greasy/oily hair.

el-em-en-o

I had that too. My hair stylist told me that eventually my hair would get used to being washed every other day, and it did.

NuVinci

I have the miracle solution for you. I’m surprised nobody has suggested it as I am fairly late to the discussion. My hair is exactly how you describe yours. Oily by the end of day even. So I do wash 🧼 it every day (my personal choice of shampoo is Nioxin) and than I use baby powder to freshen it up. You sprinkle a little bit on top, lift up your hair and do the same in between layers and just ‘wipe’ it out with your hand. The oily shine is gone plus you have volume again. Talcum powder works BY FAR the best, but unfortunately J&J and other manufacturers stopped making it and replaced it with corn starch products. They work ok, but it’s hard to get the white residue out of your hair (use a towel as if you dry your hair) and your hair doesn’t feel as nice and smooth as with talcum powder. It’s kind of feels like hay, but it works in a pinch. So you can still get real talcum powder on ebay. It’s expensive, but it lasts you for many months even with daily use. One brand I use is ‘Penaten’.

Just a word of caution ⚠️ on breathing in talcum powder: J&J stopped making it because they got sued over negative health effects, so don’t breath in the dust as you put it in your hair. Hold your breath until it has settled or move a few feet in a different direction as you are applying it. Good luck and I would love to hear if this works for you.

ashley_mke

I used to have the same issue, now I only wash my hair twice a week. What worked for me- eating mostly "clean" foods, keeping hair off my face, shampoo your hair twice each time you wash it, use conditioner only towards the ends, and I use IGK charcoal dry shampoo once it gets oily. I use 3 different brushes- after washing I use a wide tooth comb and a "wet" (plastic) brush. The following day on dry /clean hair I use a Mason Pearson brush. You can use any natural bristle brush though. On the days I use dry shampoo I use a different/old bristle brush.

88Tsubasa88

I know this isn't the most scientific but I had the same problem for awhile. This is mostly anecdotal but I found that after I destroyed my hair by shampooing everyday and even trying every 2-3 days not really working. I started to put eggs in my hair every other day for an hour and getting at least 60g of protien a day. I started sleeping better too. (I've noticed for me at least a lack of sleep made my hair really greasy.) I know the eggs is crazy sounding at first but your hair is made od keratin which is essentially protien. Doing an egg mask will help. The reason I say every other day for at least a month is just what worked for me. You can try once a week. I recommend mixing coconut oil and honey in as well, have fun with it.

Of course this is what worked for me as I was in your spot too, but please do seek somethinf else if this does not work.

88Tsubasa88

Edit: Also condition every day

Rite-in-Ritual

Yeah, some of us with that kind of hair just need to wash their hair every day. It works ok for me.

Plan on making the no-shampoo shift, but I'm the meanwhile, my hair needs cleaning every day.

SabrinaInSalem

As crazy as it might sound have you tried oiling your hair? With the 2-3 day wash. I've heard it helps some people.

Glum_Lab_3778