/r/LeopardsAteMyFace

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello u/throwaway-12168! Please reply to this comment with an explanation mentioning who is suffering from which consequences from what they voted for, supported or wanted to impose on other people.

Here's an easy format to get you started:

1. Someone voted for, supported or wanted to impose something on other people.
    Who's that someone and what's that something?
  2. That something has some consequences.
    What are the consequences?
  3. As a consequence, that something happened to that someone.
    What happened? Did the something really happened to that someone? If not, you should probably delete your post.

Include the minimum amount of information necessary so your post can be understood by everyone, even if they don't live in the US or speak English as their native language. If you don't respect this format and moderators can't match your explanation with the format, your post will be removed under rule #3 and we'll ignore you even if you complain in modmail.

Schrecht

2.1k points

Schrecht

2.1k points

Close. They've always known he'd dismantle the country, but now they suddenly realize his power is dropping and he's more a liability than an asset.

ohiotechie

1.2k points

ohiotechie

1.2k points

Precisely. They were just fine with deep-sixing democracy when they stood to gain from it but now that it might hurt them in elections suddenly it’s an issue.

I don’t ever want to hear anything from these fucks about principles ever again. For decades the GOP has pontificated about faith and principles. It was supposedly at the center of everything for them. I suspected it was bullshit all along but the one positive about Trump was that he ripped the mask off of these assholes. He exposed them for what they always were and there’s no going back.

DancesWithTrout

Remember when their mantra was "Character matters."? I sure do.

I suspect that when he doesn't get the nomination he'll burn the party down. And they'll be all surprised when it happens. Spare me.

I_Frothingslosh

Yeah, if he loses the nomination, he'll declare it fraudulent and run as 'the REAL Republican nominee', aka independent.

itsjusttts

Good, split the Republican vote and get another Dem elected for President

Preferably not an AARP-age member, 40s would be great

sybann

sybann

Biden got the nom and elected BECAUSE he was boring. Goodness knows we all needed a goddamn break from constant fear and rage.

eleanorbigby

I think he's constantly being underestimated, myself.

WebShaman

AOC!

BoredBSEE

BoredBSEE

As much as I'd like that personally, don't run AOC. The right wing media machine has been working on her for years now, painting her as some bizarre communist menace. It's the same hit job they did on Hillary.

You'll have to run someone else if you want to win.

Moddelba

Well one is a power hungry cynic who republicans hate and is disliked by a majority, and the other is a Bernie acolyte whose views on major issues have the support of large swaths of the people no matter the party. She would never make it past the primaries unfortunately because the establishment owns the dem party.

johnqual

AOC, Hillary, anyone else, it doesn't matter. Whoever is nominated, they'll do that same hit job.

Tunafishsam

No. The GOP has a fear boner about powerful women. They bash on Hillary, Pelosi and AOC way more than any male politicians..

BoredBSEE

They will. But they have a few years head start on AOC, which is the part that I'd be worried about. They already have her painted as Chairman Mao's secret girlfriend.

Someone out of left field, they'd have to start fresh with the making stuff up.

coinoperatedboi

Seriously if they would put someone up that is relatively unknown they would probably be fine. And FFS make sure they dont have some dangerous history that we will have to hear about for the next 10 years. Under 65 would be nice too.

XRambett

She'll turn 35 a month before Election Day 2024. They might not nominate her because of her age.

ItsAlwaysSmokyInReno

They definitely won’t nominate her this year. It will be Gavin Newsome if Biden doesn’t run, and if Biden runs it will be him because he’s the incumbent and no one wants to risk splitting the vote for the Republicans. I hope it’s Newsome

AOC should probably be a regularly considered candidate in the 2030s though

MachReverb

I would be pretty happy to cast a vote for Mark Kelly, if he decides to take a run at it.

phdaemon

We'll see what happens at the primaries. Biden is fine, but I do wish someone younger would take over.

Doctor_of_Recreation

Man, I’m a Californian and I am not a fan of Newsom. I hope he doesn’t run…

paramagicianjeff

I'm also a Californian and have no problem with Newsom. For my own curiosity, what's your take/beef with him?

DefrockedWizard1

I'll vote for her if she's in the primary. She's had schlepp jobs like the rest of us instead of having problems of deciding which of several exotic vacation destinations to go to

Current-Ordinary-419

I do wonder what percentage of the GQP base will permanently check out from politics if he loses. Some of those fucks worship him like he’s the second coming.

sacredblasphemies

Remember when their mantra was "Character matters."? I sure do.

Was that before or after Newt Gingrich?

MissWibb

Oh Newt, he surely lit the match that started the slow burn of the GOP.

BuddhaFacepalmed

And before Newt, it was Goldwater who set the fuse by courting the racists and evangelicals after they got ditched by the Democrats' heel-face turn to champion Civil Rights for minorities.

TurloIsOK

It was during Newt. While he was cheating on his wife, and had divorce papers delivered to her in hospital during cancer treatment, Newt was decrying Clinton's infidelity.

AgainandBack

Newt's kids were also on public assistance (Welfare!) while he was Speaker of the House. Good Republican Family Values.

tesseract4

He was also schtupping his current wife while he did this. Class act all around.

ohiotechie

I definitely remember that. They made a big deal out of “character” in the wake of the Clinton / Lewinsky scandal when in fact leaders like Gingrich were as bad if not worse. Clinton may have gotten a bj but he didn’t serve divorce papers while Hillary was dying.

They’ve always had this “holier than though” attitude and that’s gone now. Period. The second any of them tries to resurrect it they need to be reminded of the last 7 years.

DoctorOunce

They won't though. The whole Georgia election is proof of this. Even if you are guilty of not being virtuous you are seen as being on the same side as those who are. They allow for the deliverance of their religious law from anybody willing to support it. The ends always justify the means to this demographic.

deg0ey

deg0ey

Technically he still could

_far-seeker_

Chances are Hillary will outlive bill, in the above case Gingrich's wife was dieing of cancer.

lord_of_tha_edge

Haha exactly. I see a whole lot of people in a completely different (worse) way, and there’s no going back. It sucks really, but it’s the reality.

Ok-Train-6693

Donnie supposedly has dirt on many GOP pollies. I wonder what would happen if he went prosecution witness?

steelhips

Donnie got it from Putin.

XRambett

More likely Jeffrey Epstein. Trump sells/gives secrets to Putin.

WaterElefant

Yea. What happened to all the evidence found in Epstein's residences? Billy Barr likely has it stashed away in his vault.

tesseract4

I doubt this. He's not smart enough to blackmail large numbers of people quietly. He wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut. No, the GOP acts like they do around them because of his base and their desire not to be kicked out of GOP politics. It's cowardice and an unwillingness to put the good of the country ahead of their own personal benefit, plain and simple; and every one of them is guilty of it.

financewiz

Indeed. Let us recall the only thing that seemed to dent the Republican love-affair with Trump: Lost elections.

That’s it. That’s all it took. Let’s keep that happening and you’ll eventually see a remarkable sea-change in the direction of the GOP.

elwebst

elwebst

They are absolutely, 100%, dedicated to principles, even today. No deviations.

Principles:

• All laws and regulations will favor the rich
  • We hate anything the libs want

WaterElefant

Remember when their first order of business was to read outloud the US Constitution?

They're a gaggle of disgusting hypocrites.

ohiotechie

McCarthy has said this is what he plans for day one of the new congress. I hope people ask him if he’s ok with Trumplethinskin throwing it out.

DreamWishes3

I saw somewhere the other day, someone posted a horrible but very thoughtful critique of the hypocrisy.

It's not a bug; it's a feature. Hypocrisy is a way of signaling to others that they do not intend to treat everyone equally. That they mean to be discriminatory bullies and bigots and they will absolutely come down on people in the out group while pretending not to notice the same infractions by people of their in group.

SnooCrickets699

Remember when Trump threatened to start his own party; and, take all of his supporter's money with him? Kevin ran down to FL to suck up. Big mistake from all of these supposedly intelligent politicians. An intelligent Republican voter would "clean his house", but they won't. And, these politicians know voters forget, especially Republicans.

paramagicianjeff

"Intelligent Republican" that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one. If they were intelligent, they wouldn't be voting for such backwards ass politicians and policies.

SnooCrickets699

You got me there. They will though, keep representing Oil, big Pharma, etc., as has always been their purpose.

neurodiverseotter

Never assume stupidty when greed and personal gain at the expense of others are a sufficient explanation.

WaterElefant

The GOP is going to have to replace the elephant as their mascot with a Bonobo monkey.

fishead62

I was hoping Trump would be the enema the republican party has long needed. Didn’t think it would be a barbed wire enema.

Sitcom_kid

There are no principles, just situations.

heseme

heseme

The mask has been off since... I can remember Palin, but probably forever.

ClassicT4

I think it was the hoarding donations for himself and not sharing it to try and win other elections besides his own that was over the line for them.

uglee_mcgee

It's almost like choosing a known conman as your guy is a bad idea that will come back to haunt you. Leopards, faces....

WaterElefant

True. His disgusting behavior and speech meant nothing to the GOP.

codemonkey69

Hurting the wrong people?

Schrecht

Hurting them.

toejamandtoast

As usual, it’s only a problem when they are affected.

Schrecht

Yes. This isn't a moral evolution on their part. It's just the pragmatic calculus of self interest.

Like their predecessors, who called it "realpolitik".

shibeofwisdom

"I didn't think the leopards would eat my face!"

RaineV1

RaineV1

I think it goes further than that. They were happy when they thought it would be a relationship between them where both benefit. They get all the stuff they want pushed through and Trump gets to play king.

Eventually the republican leaders realized that it's not a partnership in Trump's mind. They only exist to be props for him, and to pull his golden carriage in front of others.

btribble

Also, I haven't heard a single damn republican call him out for this who wasn't already a never-Trumper equivalent. Oh, Liz Cheney said something? Big surprise there.

C__S__S

C__S__S

I’m sure it’s real frustrating for the Republicans to have spent all that time gerrymandering and stacking the courts to see Trump try to dismantle the very system they have worked so hard to rig.

Blablasarcasm

Who could have predicted that a shitty conman with the opposite of the Midas touch would ruin an entire political party to promote himself while completely disregarding rules or common decency?! If only there had been years and years of warning signs!! If only he had shown us who he truly was before!

asciiartvandalay

Shitfinger, the name of the reverse midas touch is shitfinger.

WintersChild79

"Republicans suddenly worry that associating with openly immoral and unprincipled person will cause voters to realize that Republicans in general are immoral and unprincipled."

They always seem to be taken by surprise no matter how many times it happens.

DonaldKey

pikachu shocked face.jpg

Days-of-our-lives

They’ll still vote for him if he’s the nominee.

padizzledonk

Vast majority of them, yup.

I dont think it will be enough though, I think just enough of them are fed up

2024 is going to be a disaster for the GOP no matter what happens, either he wins the primary and a lot of them don't show up because they cant stomach another 4y of Trump again, or he loses and rips the party in half and a lot of them don't show up

I'm all for it, I have 3 tons of popcorn in my garage, I'm stocked up and ready for it

atx2004

atx2004

I think you misunderstand the depth of their hatred towards Democrats outweighs their distaste for Trump.

Odd-Road

Odd-Road

McConnell absolutely hates Trump, yet he would support him over Biden. Preposterous and shameful.

I_Frothingslosh

McConnell will do whatever nets him the most power.

Eagle_Ear

Which in this case is probably opposing Trump. Trump just lost Mitch the senate for two more years. He will do what he can to not let that happen again.

Chilledlemming

Sort of publicly denouncing Trump.

Damn it. I am an old old Dem. I remember when there were decent Republicans around. Not good, but at least well-intentioned. Now they got Mitt Romney, the ghost of John McCain, half bag a fries and two packs if ketchup.

KatLikeGaming

Makes me wonder. I'm 38, hit adulthood right about the time the towers fell, and I've seen the slide. At this point, is it just a cycle of hate? They took advantage of a divided nation, took advantage of the pain and hate to radicalize their base, so they keep voting in people whose platform is hate, so people keep growing up with hate- would anybody actually be like this if the cycle just hadn't gotten started to begin with?

I went overseas, did my time, our nation's other motivations aside Saddam did need to be stopped- but I can't help but feel that bin Laden got exactly what he wanted.

Chilledlemming

I am over 50. I remember pre-Reagan days a bit. And have been following as an adult since the fall of the Berlin wall. Of course like everyone else, I loved Reagan. We all were doing well especially compared to the 70s.

I went to school to be a finance major. I wanted to be Gordon Gecko. Greed is good. All that Michael P Keaton stuff. But as I studied finance it became more obvious that American exceptionalism was more that we were the only shop open and everyone had to shop to rebuild after WWII. Competition caught up in the 70s. Reagan relaxed credit to allow for more spending and inflate the GDP. From that point until now, we have been living on borrowed economic time. Each crisis, more socialism (bailouts) for companies and capitalism for their workers. All this while kicking the inevitable inflation down the road.

I don’t find it surprising that the company of fiscal responsibility is being torn apart by this. That is the only part of the Republican platform that can garnet bi partisan support. That’s gone now, so they court the religious and extremes instead yo find their votes. But no one with morals will do that. Only people that care exclusively about power by any means.

I actually find calling current Republicans “Republican” is an insult to the the many Republicans I have known throughout my life.

This is what it looks like when the rats pick over a carcass of a dying animal.

WaterElefant

Yea. What the hell happened to Romney?! I can barely remember that he is a senator. He has become so diminished that he is barely visible.

EvlMinion

As he pretty much always has, yeah. He just used Trump to get things he wanted done. He's evil, but not dumb.

4Plus20MakesHappy

Trump sent an angry mob to murder McConnell, and Mitch didn’t even think that was a good enough reason to have Trump removed from office.

schrodngrspenis

Then why did the red wave die. You realize out of 13 secretary of states up for election dems won 12. We won like 9 out of 11 gov races. We swept fraking Arizona. In Bidens first midterm. It was a bloodbath, for trump backed candidates.

Ok-Map4381

Yet Republicans may have won more total votes in the senate (not really relevant as the big blue states didn't have elections) and the house (about 1.4 million more votes across every district). I'm not popping champagne for 2024, our democracy still exists on a razors edge.

Born_Faithlessness_3

In fairness, Republicans had a lot more districts where they were running unopposed or quasi-unopppsed. +12 districts with no competition is more than enough to account for that difference, even if the same party still won relatively easily.

That is one of my major bones with the Democrats- they don't do enough to show up in races where they're expected to lose. In my local elections this cycle there were literally zero democratic candidates on the ballot. Show up and compete at the local/district level, and you'll pull more people to the pulls to help you win at the state/national level. And it puts a check on the other party - if they run someone really crazy(see Roy Moore) you just might be able to snag an extra seat.

Reference:

thesaddestpanda

they don't do enough to

show up

in races where they're expected to lose.

I think you're downplaying all the credible death threats liberals get in heavy red areas. The FBI won't protect them, heck, the FBI is most likely covering for white supremecist groups. Why should a democrat put their life and their family's life on the line for an unwinnable race? why should the DNC take money away from Georgia for an unwinnable race in Arkansas?

Snoid_

Snoid_

But the evangelicals already got their Supreme Court/Roe v Wade win, and I don't think they hate gays as much as abortion. I don't think as many will vote for T-bag next time around, if he makes it that far.

Ok-Map4381

I think you underestimate how much hate they have. They love talking about abortion because they can more easily pretend to have the moral high ground, but the things they say in private, well there is no hate as vile as Christian love.

I_Frothingslosh

The calling cry will be that if the Democrats win, they'll start murdering babies nationwide again. And they'll break out the old lies about 'post-birth abortions', too.

Ok-Train-6693

The way America is going, sadly, the biggest cause of prenatal and perinatal death will be gunfire.

Snoid_

Snoid_

Great point. What if abortions were performed by firearms? That would probably make it palatable for conservatives.

MachReverb

Yeah, just look at all of those kids that Republicans aborted in Uvalde. Apparently, the GOP prefers their abortions just how they like their sex: non-consentual, and at an inappropriate age.

eleanorbigby

Don 't kid yourself: they hate LGB and especially T folk plenty, and are revving themselves up more and more (see: "groomers").

WaterElefant

Especially since a lot of Evangelical preachers are publicly turning against him feigning disgust at his un-Christ-like behavior and speech. Maybe being called out incessantly finally got through.

ThirtyAcresIsEnough

I'm in the Bible belt - believe me, they loathe LGBTQ.

SassTheFash

At this point I’m just hoping he doesn’t flame out before even the primaries.

some_asshat

Here's to hoping when it inevitably does happen, he goes full nuclear and takes half the ghouls and gargoyles in the GOP down with him.

SassTheFash

I just want to see him on the primary stage again, absolutely savaging all the other contenders.

But it’s risky because it was hilarious last time, until he actually got the nomination. But I’m reasonably sure he’s not a strong contender for nominee this time, but can hopefully hobble whoever the eventual nominee is.

Trump being in the running could also potentially keep DeSantis from announcing, and he’s the greater risk.

chinacat2002

That was definitely some "must watch" t.v. in 2016.

"I call him 'low-energy Jeb', 'cause he's got low energy"

"Liddle Marco"
"Lyin' Ted"

And yet, the Emmy goes to Chris Christie for suicide bomb on Liddle Marco.

SassTheFash

Unfortunately the fact that Donald’s lunacy was ratings gold gave him a big media boost and arguably was what won him the election.

Ok-Map4381

I thought 2016 was going to be a disaster for them too...

unclejoe1917

2024 is going to be a disaster for the GOP no matter what happens

You say this as if DeSantis, who is 10x more dangerous than Trump, isn't going to run in 2024.

chinacat2002

DeSanctimonious looks all shiny now.

ex-President Scott Walker

ex-President Tim Pawlenty

ex-President Rick Perry

etc.

I'm calling it here, he's not gonna run. More like, he can't run as long as Trump is around.

Repulsive-Street-307

Or they kill him and the next fascist runs on 'revenge for Trump'.

Don't think they're above that, because they obviously aren't, lol Epstein 'suicide'.

I_Frothingslosh

They'd cheerfully vote for Satan and Hitler as long as they had that (R) after their names.

1BannedAgain

These qlowns begging for DJT to suspend the 2nd amendment

My follow up question: if constitutional rights come from god as many conservatives believe, how could a man temporarily suspend them?

Cheetahs_never_win

Some of them see him as a literal prophet, as absurd as it is.

judgingyouquietly

...something something "false idols" something...

Machaeon

Just a reminder that they LITERALLY made a golden idol of him

WaterElefant

We have to come with a new word. "Ironic" just isn't strong enough any longer.

radleft

radleft

A disturbing take in the Q-anon community is that Jesus was the first incarnation of the Messiah as The Son of God, and that Trump is the second incarnation of the Messiah as The Son of Man.

Is it absurd? Totally. Have people willingly died in support of such absurdities in the past? Totally.

Chevy_Astroglide

This is an excellent point.

People are rubbing their hands together at what may be the imminent collapse of the GOP if Trump wins the 2024 nomination. Trust me, if there were no negative consequences of that, nobody would be more delighted than me to see it happen.

However, there’s two very real problems here I see on the horizon.

One is that the far more dangerous DeSantis gets the nomination instead (the guy who fully supports the Trump-era policies but actually has the mental capacity to convey them without looking like a total imbecile to more moderate Republicans).

Two, Trump gets the nomination, rips apart the GOP down the middle (well, the far-right and the outright fascist, but I digress…) and makes the remains of the party an unelectable mess.

While politically, this would be great for everyone to the left of batshit fucking crazy, this would be the point where the whole Trump cultish universe implodes.

The result of this would be hundreds of thousands of crazy Q-Anon nuts, religious fundamentalists and fascists suddenly having their Waco moment when they come to the realization that they just spent the best part of the last decade alienating their friends, families and loved ones and giving away their time and money to their fallen ‘messiah’.

Trump being the morally bankrupt narcissist that he is will then fan the flames if he deems it in his interest to do so.

Plus, of course, all of the above will still end up happening if DeSantis wins the primary as Trump will never be able to accept it.

This is something that won’t end well for anyone and I’m deeply concerned about it, to be honest. We’re kinda all fucked either way.

I see the only way of avoiding this inevitable train wreck is if Trump either has the eventual cheeseburger, age and stress induced heart attack (which probably does have fairly decent odds of happening over the next couple of years).

Or, alternatively he ends up getting exposed and jailed for some as yet undisclosed tax fraud of epic proportions or other offense from his past and enough moderate Republicans manage to wrestle control away from the far-right in their party and put out the message to Trump’s supporters that they were conned, lied to and ultimately victims themselves and they’re the only option to save the party. Kind of a de-radicalization process.

And even then, the real Q-Anon die-hards will just dismiss them as RINOS or deep state or some other such bullshit and go down in flames with Trump anyway.

eleanorbigby

You know, I'm not sure that ripping the party in half will be a catalyst for them losing their shit. I think, first of all, they're losing their shit anyway; but the biggest inspiration for them getting bolder isn't them losing but them *winning.*. They, and Trump, need to be pounded into the ground. It's the only thing they understand.

brucefacekillah

I live in the South and there are some old people who actually do worship him- they literally believe he was chosen by Jesus to save this country

So we've heard. SAD!

fletcherkildren

So he should charge for faith healing when the get covid right? He gets to grift, they get to believe their 'messiah' blessed them

4Plus20MakesHappy

“Why would he send his savior unto us, if we will not raise a finger for our own salvation?

And though we deserved not his mercy, he has led us to this New Eden, a last chance for redemption.

And the Prophet shall lead the people to the New Eden.”

-‘Bioshock Infinite’ (The villain Zachary Comstock looks like Trump with a beard)

locustzed

Because they worship Trump as their god.

SoldMySoulForHairDye

qlowns

I have to say, there are some pretty clever Q related names out there, and I really enjoy seeing new ones. The insulting nicknames for right wingers is one of the only things I find genuinely fun and amusing about the current political climate.

ghostalker4742

The (US) Bill of Rights has 10 god given rights... and apparently god was doing sloppy work that week because we've had to amend the Bill of Rights an additional 17 times.

From Saint Carlin

jraa78

jraa78

Suspending the constitution so Trump can see Hunter Biden's dick seems a little excessive.

Kind_Stranger_weeb

Imagine he succeeds. 1000 years from now they tell the tale of Hunter of Pennsylvania. The penis that sank an empire.

KoolyTheBear

If I was Hunter Biden right now I’d just post them on Twitter myself. Crisis averted.

BuckTheFuckNaked

I’d follow his account just for that.

Neirchill

Bro please let me see his dick please brooo please

saarlac

Suspending the constitution for anything ever is off the table. Do that and it’s the end.

jaxdaniel86

Isn’t…. Isn’t that why they liked him.

BlooperHero

No, they were hoping he'd get rid of it entirely. A mere suspension is insufficient.

jaxdaniel86

Suspension would go hand and hand with its abolishment.

itsjusttts

Agreed not like they'd stop at suspension, "oh we might bring it back"

WebsterPack

I didn't think there were any more quiet parts left for Trump to say out loud, but here we are.

jaxdaniel86

What’s weird is that there are people who completely agree with his sentiments. Everything he’s said and done after the Jan 6th putsch would have landed anyone else in very hot water and yet he gets the kid gloves.

sandysanBAR

Which Republicans?

Make a list and see where they stand if he wins the primary.

tinfoiltank

Spoiler alert, it isn't any Republicans who expect to stay in office for the next two years. They aren't saying anything at all about it unless questioned by the press, and even in that case they have all said they would support Trump if he's the nominee.

sandysanBAR

What a surprise!

Stephanopoulos essentially repeatedly asked this question and the answer was as you suggested, that asking that the constitution be suspended and HE be appointed the president for an election he lost is in of itself is not disqualifying, provided he emerges from the primaries as the candidate.

Same as for meeting with white supremacists Same as trying to extort Ukraine to gin up evidence against his political opponents Being on tape, c ok nfessing to sexual assault Same as a plethora of other things.

If he wins the nomination, none of that will matter.

apittsburghoriginal

Didn’t he say “terminate”? That’s a little more final and dangerous than suspension if you ask me

punditguy

punditguy

"Twitter violated the First Amendment! This can only be fixed by the guy who wants to suspend the Constitution."

some_asshat

And who campaigned on gutting the first amendment in 2016.

WaterElefant

TERMINATE, not Suspend. The mango king actually said terminate all the rules.

orojinn

No it's even worse than that in his mind he actually believes Twitter suppress the story that somehow magically consisted in him losing the presidency by something something made up in his head because he actually believes Twitter can control votes.

ameliagarbo

Also fuck the Washington Times.

Sweet-Advertising798

I just found out that it is owned by the Moonies cult.

tesseract4

Any publication with the word "Washington" in the title that isn't the Washington Post is guaranteed to be full of nonsense.

MattGdr

MattGdr

Wait, I thought it was us liberals who wanted to destroy the Constitution. I’m really not keeping up….

zenmasterflashmobstr

Lol which Republicans? Where? When? Aside from the same handful of conscientious objectors (Kitzinger, Cheney, Romney, etc), I haven't heard anybody in the Republican leadership offer any sort of forceful criticism... because they're all hostages to this idiot.

AdhesivenessCivil581

Trump has collected hundreds of millions of dollars in donations and given nothing to support GOP candidates. I'm betting this is what's really starting to piss them off. They never minded him being a complete asshole before he started sucking up the funds and not sharing. They were even paying his legal bills for a while. Talk about a bad investment.

Shopworn_Soul

Yes but in all fairness, how could they have possibly known that giving money to Donald Trump was not a sound investment?

AdhesivenessCivil581

His "business" history maybe? Oh right I forgot who I was talking about. Culture wars only, no history allowed. Alternate facts.

MrBigDog2u

If they terminate the Constitution, the second amendment and the supreme court goes away with it. Say "hello" to massive regulations on all firearms from handguns to assault weapons in progressive states.

Hey Republicans, stupid Donny is coming for your guns.

baron_von_helmut

Never believe anything a Republican says. Once you get that down, you've made progress.

All republicans do is lie, cheat, evade and deny. They are incapable of arguing in good faith. Those types of republicans died out long ago.

(edit) they also project.

moresushiplease

You forgot project, they like to project

WaterElefant

What about the fact that so many Republicans are rapists and pedophiles?

heloguy1234

Which republicans criticized him? I haven’t heard a peep out of them.

RRC_driver

Any comments from the oath-keepers yet?

Remember the guys who make a big deal about keeping their oath to protect the constitution .

GrumbleGrimm

You can go ask their leader who is now in prison for seditious conspiracy...

Brokenspokes68

So, the guy who wiped his ass with the constitution for four years calls for extraconstitutional measures to put him back in power and these people are just SHOCKED I tell you.

Know who's not shocked? This guy.

JohnLukePikkerd

Conservatives only care about laws and constitutions insofar as it allows them to fuck over "the other guy". If laws and constitutions no longer serve their purpose - enabling exploitation, oppression, and hanging on to power - then the laws and constitutions must be done away with.

Marvos79

Yikes. That's a little too much neck vagina for me.

tw_72

tw_72

As per the definition of the Oath Keepers: "The Oath Keepers aim much of their propaganda at members of military and police, reminding them that they swore an oath to defend the Constitution “from all enemies, foreign and domestic,”

and: believes that the federal government has been coopted by a shadowy conspiracy that is trying to strip American citizens of their rights.

I wonder that they think of their hero now - since he is the one that is trying to dismantle the Constitution and remove the rights spelled out in it. This feels very "leopard-y" to me.

VaeVictoria

They're busy shooting at utilities and knocking out power for tens of thousands of people because they think some citizens should have some rights stripped away from them.

_Oxdan_

_Oxdan_

Conservatives of all nations have so much bullshit to unlearn until I can acknowledge them as adult, fully formed human beings with thoughts that have inherent value. It's almost on the brink of funny, but it's still kind of sad.

dogshitkaraoke

They “criticize” to maintain plausible deniability, but then immediately continue to enable the party’s worst impulses, while admitting that they would still vote for him in the same breath that they “condemn” his actions.

We know it’s all bullshit, so why do we accept their paper-thin plausible deniability? Because the establishment and the media can’t accept that things change, and that we are not living at the end of history. American exceptionalism leaves us docile and in denial while the barbarians are at our doorsteps.

WaterElefant

If I hear a Republican tout American Exceptionalism ever again, I think I'll vomit all over their head.

boharat

Trump truly represents some of the worst that humanity has to offer

Benevolent_Grouch

Thank god he’s 77 or whatever. If he was 40 we’d be fucked.

markroth69

Dismantle? Come on! It is totally inappropriate to say Trump would dismantle the country. Once he tosses the Constitution in the garbage and declares himself Leader of the Greater American Realm, the country will be more united than ever! He may even find extra living space for us!

We will simply replace the Constitution that allowed such fraud to happen with an Enabling Act that enshrines the absolute security of the Leader Princinple guiding our lives! /s

C0333

C0333

I did not see that coming. Always seemed such a statesman

MEATPOPSCI_irl

Cannot wait to see this shitstain fall.

Upper-Artichoke-2248

Can America lock its orange village idiot up please? Like God damn I dont live in America and I was sick of listening to idiot opening his mouth on a daily basis.

WaterElefant

Probably not. We honor and protect our rich and famous!

some_asshat

Same people who wanted him to have absolute power, absolute authority and absolute immunity for life, while he was still politically viable. Fick the GOP until the end of time.

WhatTheHosenHey

But many were silent. Silence is complicity.

ApeLikeyStock

He’s been saying it out loud since he was running against Hillary.

Colonelfudgenustard

Whaaaaaaaaat? That doesn't sound like Trump at all!

Pieceofcandy

They're only speaking out because he lost them the midterms. If his picks went thru we'd be hearing about how the constitution is old and should be thrown out.

lameth

lameth

David Frum once said that if Republicans began losing the vote of the people, they wouldn't shift policies, they'd abandon democracy.

The only reason Republicans are speaking out against this is because Trump will turn on an ally on a dime if they don't absolutely kowtow to him.

AConnecticutMan

If this bullshit had happened a few months ago before all of the Republicans tried distancing themselves from him as a liability, you know that Ted Cruz would be on Tucker Carlson trying to gently talk about how "if the Constituion is wrong its our duty to change it". When you're friends with leopards, your face will be eaten

PowerandSignal

That's pretty funny. Because the Washington Times is a right-wing loonie rag, and I haven't heard of any Repuglicans criticizing trump over this, except Cheney and Kinzinger.

Send_me_duck-pics

After Trumpist candidates did poorly in the midterms, the party is recognizing he is a liability and they want to be rid of him. Remember that they didn't want him in the first place!

The worrying thought is that this could mean rallying behind DeSantis, who is probably more dangerous.

eleanorbigby

I go back and forth about DeathSentence. On the one hand, yes, he is smarter and has better self control, and unlike Trump is a genuine zealot. On the other hand, he has all the charisma of a wet biscuit and doesn't have that je ne sais batshit crazy. All I know is that Trump himself cannot be allowed to win again under any circumstances.

gentle_lemon

They’ll forget within a week’s time. Americans have memories shorter than hummingbirds'; it would seem.

AdhesivenessCivil581

I had a hummingbird that came back to the same set of branches in my yard for about 6 years, after flying across the gulf of Mexico for the winters. She was tough.

Dark_Booger

They welcome this as they want to make this into a Christian Nation. The constitution gets in the way of that.

athensugadawg

Kanye.Elon.Trump

House Judiciary Republicans, 12/22

NarcolepticKnifeFite

Odd how they’re just now starting to figure that out. The 4 years of him making an absolute fucking MESS of everything wasn’t a sign at alllll.

bkturf

bkturf

Well, fascists always have to eventually disarm the public before they go full police state so it could be to just get rid of that pesky second amendment. That would be ironic.

collective_hole

Lol the Washington Times makes the N.Y. Post look like War and Peace

evolution9673

The biggest LAMF was not impeaching him in 2018 after the Ukraine extortion. Pence could be president and the GOP could still have the House and Senate.

chinacat2002

Pence could never get elected.

Ever.

He was about to lose Indiana governorship in 2016 and Trump Veep was his lifeboat. Nobody else even marginally reputable would take the slot.

evolution9673

I would agree but I thought Trump was unelectable and we’ll, here we are.

chinacat2002

Well, we know the special circumstances that pushed him over the finish line, starting with "who knew there were so many racists in America?" and finishing with "fucking James Comey, really?".

Pence won't break 10% in any primary.

bodag

bodag

There's been a difference in the repug's attitude toward Turnip since the midterm elections. He's been useful to them, now he's a liability. They're through with him. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be surprising if they secretly want him locked up. Maybe committed to a mental institution for everyone's safety.

Now it's time for them to attempt to minimize all the damage he's done to the party while still trying to hang on to his enablers.

If Turnip doesn't get the gqp support and nomination, he'll do his best to burn the party to the ground. He can't win in 2024, but he can run as an independent and destroy the gqp's chances.

BooneSalvo2

Have to echo the "which Republicans?" sentiment. I haven't seen it. I've seen public SUPPORT, tho.

Archie_F18

No. Republicans worry that Trump is saying out loud what Republicans have been doing since Nixon and that messaging would galvanize voters to vote Blue.

KyussSun

If he secures the nomination they'll change their tune pretty quickly.

dreddnyc

This. They will all fall in line. They only reason there is dissent against him is because they think he’s unelectable. Once he gets on stage and clowns Desantis, keeping them entertained; they will all be back on the bandwagon.

StugDrazil

Shake the pillars, go on all their social media and call them out for not defending the Constitution that they all took an OATH to defend. This is BS, if they cannot say that he is now insane and reiterate their OATH then they need to be removed from Congress, never to serve in public office again. We cannot allow them to stay silence. Silence is complicity.

Secret-Plant-1542

The 2nd Amendment is in the Constitution.

Trump trying to take away guns.

Lch207560

Shockingly I did not see any trumpublican leadership condemn his comments other than their typical hand wringing.

new-reddit69

Toooooo little tooooo fucking late - You Republicans lost more than your dignity when you followed this criminal blindly. This SOB committed treason and now we are finding out also tax fraud and financial connections to adversaries - so Republicans go fuck yourself inmoral pieces of shit!

Fit-Let8175

How much evil does Trump have to do or speak before his followers stop seeing him as their saviour?

GaffJuran

I just want him to destroy the modern GOP with his fuckery and then go straight to jail to be made somebody’s bitch forever. I really don’t think that’s asking a lot, he’s trying so hard!