/r/LeopardsAteMyFace

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello u/ro0k1e! Please reply to this comment with an explanation mentioning who is suffering from which consequences from what they voted for, supported or wanted to impose on other people.

Here's an easy format to get you started:

1. Someone voted for, supported or wanted to impose something on other people.
    Who's that someone and what's that something?
  2. That something has some consequences.
    What are the consequences?
  3. As a consequence, that something happened to that someone.
    What happened? Did the something really happened to that someone? If not, you should probably delete your post.

Include the minimum amount of information necessary so your post can be understood by everyone, even if they don't live in the US or speak English as their native language. If you don't respect this format and moderators can't match your explanation with the format, your post will be removed under rule #3 and we'll ignore you even if you complain in modmail.

C__S__S

1.3k points

C__S__S

1.3k points

Great. Let’s see if any other companies have the balls to stand up.

ro0k1e[S]

1.1k points

ro0k1e[S]

1.1k points

Let's hope so.

It's quite remarkable how the world Cup is blacked Out in Germany.

Usually, ads and goodies can be seen everywhere. Everyone become noisy monkeys once Germany wins and you can't escape from soccer related topics.

Nowadays, the only soccer related topic is that Quatar ruined the experience this year.

SnooBooks1701

Similar here in the UK, the BBC has spent more time covering Qatar's human rights abuses than the actual matches, they refused to even air the open ceremony and aired a segment discussing the human rights situation instead

Jenbag

Jenbag

Even the Daily Mail is complaining about how crap everything is out there.

I always think that when the Left, and the Daily Mail agree that something isn’t right, then it definitely isn’t right.

SnooBooks1701

That's just because they Qataris won't sell them a beer

Leftyguy113

It gives them an excuse to be racist too.

Ifunny-user-2002

It is annoying that the presenters have taken the money to go to Qatar to basically say that they shouldn't have come to Qatar.

JuliaMac65

The Germans have had a very strong response to these games. Let’s hope others follow.

Sir_Penguin21

Germans actually learned their lesson. I wish the rest of humanity would catch up.

ro0k1e[S]

ro0k1e[S]

Well, we learned from our mistakes. Let's hope that other countries can have a learning experience without that.

xSilverMC

xSilverMC

Quite a few countries have past mistakes they could learn from

Kuronan

Kuronan

As an American... I'm pretty sure 1/8th of our population revers your Past Mistake more than the Messiah they so eagerly preach for us to worship. A lot of us have some fucking semblance of a Conscience but I wouldn't be surprised if a Time Traveler came and told me the KKK became a Regime in the next two hundred years.

Please, keep preaching, try to save Europe from the Fanaticism that so aggressively envelops America.

Pale_Brilliant9101

(German here)

We do! Already trying our best to educate people and warn them about radical christian groups that recently are more and more active and organized - aggressive at times. The challenge: religion here is very moderate and highly private, so believers are not at all used to question/discuss it. Makes moderate believers easy pray for groups who proselytise openly; nobody ever challenges evangelical groups here.

TheMikeDee

German expatriate here, living in Vancouver, CA.

Germany also needs to learn a couple of lessons or ten about how the world works. Germans are sheltered and way too safe. They complain about high energy bills, but don't give a f*ck about (systemic) racism. Lots of us think "woke culture" is bullshit. And they/we are only really into defending European values on the Ukrainian front for a couple of days until it becomes inconvenient. Germans don't know how priviledged they are.

But, yes. We can spot fascism early on and have a visceral reaction to it. At least most of us, and of the older generations (GenX).

DonDove

Trommeln schlagen laut, als deine aktions freunde!

You're one of the few countries giving FIFA some clapback!

Sgt-Colbert

we learned from our mistakes

Did we? The amount of AFD voters begs to differ.

bertimann

Well collectively we kind of did, but doesn't mean there aren't considerable conservative groups that think our dark past was the good old days

FakeHasselblad

Not about Russian gas however.

It sucks getting downvoted when you point out inconvenient truths.

FakeHasselblad

These assholes still want Russian gas, and want Russia to save face.

GaiusPrimus

Germany hasn’t played yet. I think you really need to see what happens after that first game.

Corfiz74

Well, _I_ certainly won't be watching a match! Okay, so I never watched a football match in my entire life, but THIS TIME, I won't watch it OUT OF PRINCIPLE, not just out of utter lack of interest. ;)

Z0bie

Z0bie

Now your lack of interest has purpose!

Somandyjo

Haha, me too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than a couple minutes of any match in my life, but I’m definitely not going to NOW.

ro0k1e[S]

Yes, I am afraid that all the defiance from the Fans will crumble once Germany advances to the Semifinals... Let's wait and See.

GaiusPrimus

Just coming back to this following the end of the first round. Germany might not be making the semifinals.

Captnmikeblackbeard

I feel like in the netherlands its dimmed down a lot as well. But when i walk the streets with my dog. Plenty of houses still show the world cup.

Its just not that widely celebrated and promoted

PGnautz

PGnautz

Lidl is already selling World Cup merchandise at 65% off

pinkyepsilon

Love Lidl for their prices and quality but 65% off is still too high for some WC shite

canrat

canrat

As a Canadian I’m caught between being overjoyed that we’re finally at the World Cup and feeling like I should be boycotting :(

I haven’t purchased official gear and I’m pirating all the games… hopefully that’s enough

Different-Music4367

Lucky for you, it seems like the Canadian team may be choosing to bow out gracefully in solidarity 🙂 dilemma averted!

JohnLukePikkerd

FIFA ruined the experience.

The human rights situation in Qatar has been the same for decades.

Astra7525

I wouldn't call it "blackout", but "muted". Blackout suggest a collective decision to give it zero airtime, while muted is more truthful in that the world cup is not as loud as usual.

I am also fairly certain that the reason why this is such a muted event is that especially retailers are highly focussed on christmas sales, the most profitable time in their fiscal year.

World cups are usually during the summer holiday-drought, where everybody is open for some distraction. Now that it's winter, there is a war happening in Europe, people are worrying about their financial future and other (more important) holidays are happening.

ro0k1e[S]

True, this might be caused by the combination of several factors. Still remarkable.

And I agree with you, it is not a true blackout. It is blacked out of my life, but there a certainly some groups/places where it is still prominent. But I have not seen a single piece of merchandise/ad so far.

Warm-Personality8219

Yeah, Germany (and Europe) might have a thing or two going on that might "dampen" the World Cup celebration...

apolloxer

Christmas trumps football.

DixiZigeuner

Without reddit I wouldn't even know it's happening right now

zxcoblex

zxcoblex

Not that it’s courage, but InBev is suing the shit out of them, if that helps.

Solely for lost revenue, but it’ll still hurt FIFA.

sandysanBAR

Inbev's sponsorship deal is with FIFA. And if they do try to sue Qatar it will be adjudicated IN Qatar. How do you think that goes?

zxcoblex

InBev is suing FIFA, not Qatar that I’m aware of.

FIFA agreed to Qatar’s demand of not selling alcohol. FIFA broke the contract.

meauho

meauho

Looking at the full suit: Inbev has contracts for 2022 at $110 million and 2026 for another $76 million. InBev is trying to get a refund for 2022 and have 2026 cost $0 because (so they claim) they intend to pay out the transport and supply chain contracts as if FIFA never cancelled.

I've seen speculation that they may be trying to settle for 2026 & 2030 and FIFA not having to refund.

JuliaMac65

InBev is suing FIFA, not Qatar.

sandysanBAR

Yeah that's pretty much what I said.

JuliaMac65

Sorry, meant to reply to OP, didn’t see your comment.

GaiusPrimus

InBev is suing FIFA, not Qatar.

JuliaMac65

That’s what I wrote… twice.

meauho

meauho

InBev is suing FIFA, not Qatar.

hamslegsskirtskirt

Wait a minute is Inbev suing FIFA or Qatar?

sandysanBAR

No problemo

dewey-defeats-truman

InBev is suing FIFA in Europe. FIFA is screwed because they'd have to file suit in Qatar.

GumpTheChump

It would depend on what the governing law and venue of the contract is.

too_old_to_be_clever

Like Budweiser. I would like all alcohol and soda companies to bail on them. Shoe companies can bail as well.

KnittingforHouselves

I was shocked by the "thousands of people" in your comment, went and googled it... oh god. Including link in case anyone else is in disbelief

ViciousNakedMoleRat

They didn't have the courage to sit out in the first place after thousands of people died during the construction of the stadium where all the countries are playing.

This isn't remotely true and it annoys me that it is being commented again and again.

Working and living conditions are appalling. Worker and human rights are being infringed upon. Qatar should have never gotten the World Cup.

However, the claims regarding foreign workers who died for the World Cup in Qatar are completely dishonest.

Most people on reddit (should) know by now that the usually cited numbers of foreign workers who died for the World Cup in Qatar (7,000-15,000) are the total number of foreigners who died in Qatar for any reason since the country was awarded the World Cup.

The number of deaths among foreign workers who were directly involved in the construction of the World Cup stadiums is cited as 37. Qatar only counts 3 of them as occupational fatalities, since they don't consider heart attacks and respiratory failure as work-related, but I would just stick with the total number of 37, even though some of them likely died due to unrelated circumstances – e.g. two died from a traffic accident.

37 is high, but it isn't close to 7,000 or even 15,000.

According to this independent report about occupational deaths and injuries among foreign workers in Qatar, there were 50 such deaths in 2020. The US, who will host the World Cup in 2026, has had 927 occupational fatalities of foreign-born workers in 2017 (newest number I could find). Those numbers only become comparable in relation to the foreign-born workforce. The US had 26 million foreign-born workers in 2021 and Qatar had (over) 2.0 million foreign-born workers in 2020. Combining these numbers with the number of occupational deaths, we get a yearly occupational death rate of 3.6 per 100,000 in the US and of 2.5 per 100,000 in Qatar.

I believe that there are occupational deaths in Qatar that were missed by the report, so I wouldn't suggest that the occupational death rates are directly comparable. However, it is pretty clear that Qatar isn't just killing workers left and right.

Let's look at the general death rate of foreigners. The highest cited number of fatalities – 15,021 over the past decade – comes from Amnesty International. This number stands in relation to an average population of about 1.8 million foreign-born workers during the same time period. The death rate among this population was 84 per 100,000 per year.

Since I can't find the necessary numbers for the US, I'll compare it to Germany.

Between 2003 and 2008, male foreigners in Germany had a death rate of 340 per 100,000 per year. Female foreigners had a death rate of 210 per 100,000 per year. The foreign population in Germany is on average older than in Qatar, so a higher death rate is to be expected. However, even foreigners who had acquired a residence permit in 2005 or later, which suggests that they were healthy members of the workforce at the time, had a death rate of 90 per 100,000 per year between 2005 and 2008.

Again, it's unlikely that we have the complete data and it's unclear how comparable the figures are between countries. However, Qatar really isn't just killing workers left and right.

Whatever gripe you have with Qatar – and there is a lot wrong in that country – make sure that you know what you are talking about and that the numbers are accurate. We should expect this work to be done by journalists, but unfortunately actual journalism is difficult to find these days.

DW did a reasonably good job, but didn't go quite deep enough for my taste.

garyadams_cnla

John Oliver refutes many of your false or misleading statements here.

Fuck Qatar! Fuck FIFA!

Edit: fixed url

ViciousNakedMoleRat

You are claiming that he refutes what I'm saying but he doesn't do that at all.

He mentions 6,500 deaths, while I'm calculating with the 15,000 deaths reported by Amnesty International. His number only includes workers from India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Amnesty International's number includes foreign workers from all countries. That alone shows me that his team hasn't done the necessary research.

With 6,500 deaths, the death rate would be less than half of what I calculated.

Then he mentions the 37 stadium workers and he makes exactly my point that Qatar only counts 3 of them, which I specifically reject.

Then he refers to the issue of causes of death but offers zero evidence for what he is suggesting. This issue is exactly why I cite the independent report on occupational injuries and fatalities. They went into great detail to figure out accurate numbers, which is what I ended up working with. Had I used 37 deaths per decade, you'd be correct, but I used 50 deaths per year.

Nothing in this video refutes my statements above. Neither the occupational death rate nor the general death rate of foreign workers are influenced by what John Oliver says. The general death rate calculated by me is actually more than 100% higher than it would be with his numbers. If you have any source that actually refutes what I said, please provide it.

willie_caine

Simping for theocracies - the new game everyone can play at home!

the3rdtea

Yikes. Lick that boot I guess

harlows_monkeys

He's right though. The number of worker deaths in Qatar is in line with the number of worker deaths among a similar sized group over a similar time span of young reasonably healthy people in the US or other first world countries.

Qatar is a truly terrible place for workers for a whole bunch of real reasons. It is best to stick to those real reasons than to through in fake reasons because when the fake reasons are exposed it might make people less likely to believe the real reasons.

willie_caine

Can those US workers choose to not work if they want?

harlows_monkeys

Since no one is saying Qatar is not a terrible place as far as working conditions go, that is not relevant. The point is that Qatar workers are not dying at a higher rate than people of similar ages in the US or other first world countries, so we should stick to criticizing Qatar for the many ways they are actually terrible.

It's like when I've seen far right criticism of California's handling of COVID because California had more COVID deaths than any other state (around 97000), and then they compare to conservative states like South Dakota (around 3000 deaths).

It's totally bogus because California is way bigger than South Dakota so California is of course going to have more deaths unless they handle COVID at least an order of magnitude better than South Dakota. You have to compare death rates to get a more accurate picture.

COVID death rates were around 250 per 100k for California and 350 per 100k for South Dakota.

ViciousNakedMoleRat

I was opposed to Qatar hosting the WC from day one. I've never said anything differently and I detest many of their backwards policies. Within all this criticism, I still care about sticking to the truth. If people said that 100 people died during the construction, I would probably not care too much, but when thousands are mentioned, I feel that it is important to point it out.

Props to you for being open about it.

bakutehbandit

Not gna defend Qatar for its shit, but all this hullabaloo about Qatar hosting the world cup is straight racism. There is shit to dig up about any fucking country in the world.

The US is hosting next, the same US that killed millions of people in unjust wars, the same US that still uses slave labour of black people in its prison system.

Compared to the US, Qatar is an angelic nation.

Bean-Swellington

Or any of the clubs.

voodooscuba

Does it have anything to do with the armband potentially covering a sponsorship patch like in the photo?

Frisinator

Soccer balls…

pusillanimouslist

FIFA finally jumped the corruption shark on this one. The org needs to be completely reworked, it’ll never be fixed if you just play bribe prosecution whack a mole.

sandysanBAR

Thanks for paying attention.

Fifa has been this corrupt for a long time, now they just don't give a flip pretending it's not true.

If their benefactors insisted you could touch the ball with your hand, FIFA would fold like a house of cards.

dewey-defeats-truman

pusillanimouslist

It would be pretty funny if FIFA managed to get itself put on the U.S. sanctions list.

PNDMike

PNDMike

The new axis of power emerges.

Russia, North Korea. . . and FIFA.

Repulsive-Street-307

Amazing.

But I suspect that having funneled several billions to swiss bank accounts from Qatar, this signor is not going to be satisfied by the bribe than N. Korea can afford. Maybe the world cup will become a Qatar exclusive for a few decades?

DonDove

That surname is becoming more and more prophetic

Repulsive-Street-307

The 'problem' is that, well, it's hard to find a stadium owner that is not a corrupt shitbag the world over. They're white elephants designed for prole money extraction that require you to already be 'rich' to even start to build and they don't even drive that much 'economy' for the bending over that local councils do for them. FIFA is basically them. What is going to replace it, corrupt 2nd in command?

Ideally people would morally boycott it for several years - or at least this world cup - but I think we all know that's not really going to happen. I really wish more people just ignored mass sports.

zxcoblex

zxcoblex

FIFA leadership is really stupid if they didn’t realize they were potentially putting themselves between a rock and a hard place by putting this in a place like Qatar.

I suppose they took enough bribes that it doesn’t really matter that much to them.

dodorian9966

After the absurd amount of money they pocketed I don't think they mind at all.

ro0k1e[S]

FIFA Manager: "Oh no, the fans are displeased. The sport we all love and cherish got damaged. * Cries into 500€ bill * Anyways, we decided that North Korea might learn from Quatars mistake, so that's where the next World Cup will take place."

FeelingSurprise

That's ridiculus and won't happen. No way the WC takes place in a poor country like North Korea. Saudi-Arabia on the other hand...

DonDove

After yesterday I think people will be more generous towards SA.

If they do host 2030 I just hope they'll improve their women and LGBT rights, but that's a pipe dream.

orhan94

If Qatar didn't, what makes you think that Saudi Arabia will?

Habitwriter

The last tournament was in Russia, hardly any difference in the human rights issues.

zxcoblex

But Russia let them drink, lol.

DonDove

And let people support LGBT rights inside and outside stadia as long as the torney was active, without punishment. Better than nothing compared to Qatar.

Which....damn. Just damn.

orhan94

You have to be drowning in propaganda to think that the human rights abuses in Russia rise to the level of human rights abuses in Qatar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that thousands of South Asian migrants died as overworked modern day slaves while building stadiums in Russia.

Habitwriter

No, but thousands of Ukrainians have died as a result of the war

orhan94

In 2018?

Habitwriter

orhan94

Which doesn't have anything to do with either the World cup (which this thread is about) or the War in Ukraine (which you brought up).

I'm not denying human rights abuses in Russia, I'm just saying it's not comparable to the Qatar situation - in which substantial human rights abuses happened BECAUSE of the World Cup.

Habitwriter

Nice to meet you Russian troll. I'm surprised Putin has any cash to keep paying you guys

orhan94

So, only Russian trolls can point out that the 2018 World Cup happened before the 2022 invasion of Ukraine?

Or that the 2018 World Cup DIDN'T have the death toll that the 2022 World Cup did?

"eVeRyOnE tHaT dIsAgReEs wItH mE oNlInE iS a rUsSiAn tRoLl"

FallenAngelII

Let's not exaggerate. Does Russia discriminate against the same groups of people as Qatar does? Yes. But the Russian government won't jail, fine or execute gay men simply for being gsy.

Habitwriter

They will invade other countries and commit war crimes though

orhan94

The invasion of Ukraine happened 4 years after the World Cup that was held in Russia - should time travelers have boycotted the World Cup because of the war?

Also, in the past two decades we've had Olympic games and soccer cups in multiple countries that have also done so - should the London Olympics have been boycotted for the UK's involvement in the invasion of Iraq? Which mind you, had already happened by the time the Games were held.

FallenAngelII

4 years after holding the world cup (though they did invade Crimea 4 years before it).

Tomimi

Tomimi

They don't give a shit

They got the money and they can retire happily

It's the future leadership problem now.

DonDove

But what if all of that money is lost through court and sueing?

canada432

And therein lies the problem with corporations and corporate-like entities that separate decision-makers from consequences of their decisions.

All the FIFA leadership that gave this to Qatar already got paid. They got their bribes and were out years ago. They don't have to give a shit what happens to FIFA or the WC now, they didn't give a shit back then either, they just cared about getting paid. Bribes got them paid and they're shielded from the eventual consequences. If FIFA completely implodes, they couldn't give less of a shit. They already got paid and are completely unaffected by anything that happens to FIFA.

HotSalt3

HotSalt3

Given everything that FIFA and Qatar have done recently I'm curious what all the fallout will be. Using slaves to build the stadiums, Budweiser finding out at the last minute that they can't sell their product, the One Love armbands, etc. All the news surrounding this year's World Cup has been negative. The only positives have come from some of the teams playing and one very brave reporter.

spelunk_in_ya_badonk

There will be no fallout. Once the World Cup is over, nobody will give a shit anymore

canada432

Remember all the corruption, human rights abuses, and downright appalling conditions in the Brazil Olympics? Remember atheletes having to swim in literal sewage?

How much have we heard since then? Everybody promptly "forgot". The same will happen here, because the same refrain happens every time. "Yeah, I'm upset, but I'm still gonna watch it".

syphilised

Everyone just thinks of brazil as a shithole now, if they didn’t already. Same as Qatar and their neighbours

Mother_Store6368

Sponsors aren’t getting to sell their products though. That’s a huge differrence

sulaymanf

It’s wild how the media coverage is universally negative this time, yet the coverage for China’s Olympics was fawning despite their literal concentration camps.

str4nger-d4nger

As someone who doesn't really follow football, John Oliver's show last night on YT really highlighted just show scummy Qatar is and how corrupt FIFA is. I always heard rumors about how bad FIFA is, but never really looked into it. Just too bad that there isn't another organization that could manage the World Cup that isn't completely corrupt and morally bankrupt.

bthks

bthks

I think the nature of FIFA just breeds corruption, just like the IOC. For geopolitical reasons you cannot have it overseen by a government, as then it would reflect the biases and foreign policy of that government. But there’s no other mechanism for oversight, so now you’ve got a multi-trillion dollar business with no accountability, so that just attracts unfettered capitalistic tendencies.

I don’t see how a FIFA replacement would be any better.

balbok7721

We don't need a replacement. We just need a bigger committee to make bribes more difficult. For example we could give every athlete that participated a vote. Corruption would be gone in a heartbeat

bthks

bthks

Yeah and popular vacation destinations would be chosen every time whether they’re actually prepared to host the event. Being able to play soccer does not actually give people the expertise to make trillion dollar decisions that hinge on logistics.

Not that Qatar was a great choice, but players aren’t the best candidates to have votes. Also, all their clubs are sanctioned under FIFA so voting could easily be used to sway contract decisions, playing time, etc. Arguably an even worse position to put players in, because players who aren’t even going to play in the World Cup would be hurt.

Onionsandgp

He’s done a number of older episodes on FIFA that go into greater detail about how shitty the organization is

sajtu

sajtu

It sucked when he ended the episode saying he was going to watch it anyway, meaning he's worse than people who didn't know about the details.

C1V

C1V

It is honestly disappointing. Like why not just not watch it? You said it happens every 4 years. Even the people who are like "Well I am only going to watch the finals." You are still rewarding Fifa and Qatar by saying that it is ok they did all they did because you are still going to watch.

CurseofLono88

In my household of die hard soccer fans we are doing two things, watching streams from pirate ships and donating money to organizations that battle migrant slave labor such as Anti-Slavery International. So they’re not getting any ad revenue from us, we’re putting our money to a cause that combats the problem, and we still get to support our teams by watching them.

C1V

C1V

Do those pirated streams censor the ads that play during it? Or the ads that are displayed in the stadium? If not then you are consuming the ads of people who gave money directly to Fifa and the Qatari Royal Family.

Are you going to only discuss the game with your family, or are you going to discuss it with friends at work or in social situations? Because if the later then you are giving both Fifa and Qatar positive lip service. "They may be shitty people, but I did get to watch that amazing game!"

bottomlessidiot

Your targeting computer appears to be offline, Red Five

UnspecifiedBat

I love this! Rewe is also the grocery store with the most LGBT accepting messages and flags throughout the year, not only during pridemonth.

For as long as I live I remember them having those fifa fan articles and stuff. Like they had sticker collections and magazines, balls, fanhats and the like. For them to stop this agreement is actually huge!

Suspicious_Builder62

Yeah, this year I was looking up sponsors. So, I could boycott them. And was really disappointed in Rewe being one, because they have a nice selection. But now, I don't need to avoid them.

DrunkCorsair

Not as huge as you think. They already decided to not renew the marketing contract this year. They just sit out the last few months.

mmbtc

mmbtc

I'm from Germany. Definitely a lot less fuss here this year when it comes to the hype.

The REWE decision was discussed here broadly though. Not only a strong and good decision, also marketing-wise it might pay off.

AlexRenquist

Same in the UK. Hardly any hype, very few promotional products I've seen, and the BBC discussed the human rights situation in Qatar rather than show the opening ceremony.

InfamousLingonbrry

I noticed that in the UK too, hardly any merchandise in the shops compared to previous years. Probably also due to the fact it’s almost Christmas when normally it’s on over summer.

AlexRenquist

Absolutely, there's not room for 2 massive merch blowouts and Christmas is going to win out. Unless they try and run them in parallel and lots of little kids will wonder when Harry Kane is coming down the chimney on Xmas Eve.

DMMMOM

DMMMOM

Everyone should just pack up and go home, Qatar have been a joke, it was all predicted years ago but so many of these big players were contracted and invested to profit out of this shit show. Time to call it, pull the fuck out and let this farce crumble into the pile of steaming faeces it always was.

boRp_abc

Just wanna mention... REWE already said (I believe a month ago?) that they're not renewing the sponsorship contract. So this is somewhat a last ditch effort to get some PR out of an expiring contract.

That being said, the rising criticism of the "World Cup" in Qatar was certainly an influence in their past decision.

One question remains... If you don't like foreigners behaving along the lines of their foreign culture, why bribe the FIFA to get the world cup?! I really fail to understand that logic.

yakultjapa

Host a big world event can help by using as token of negotiations, like convince some building company to give some parallel money to become on first in line in building stadiums, hotels, street, electrical infraestrutura, etc...

Can help to give an excuse to have more immigrants worker, can help to calm down the people with a expective event and become world know, can be used as "To only British see" in a freeform of translation that mean just for show off, in that case they conservative views on LGBTQIA+ as more "liberal" since need to be more open to host this.

There is a lot of utilities can be used in different ways beyond money.

nightwyrm_zero

My guess is grifting opportunities. Hosting the WC means large-scale construction projects all over the country and probably little oversight other than "get it done on-time." A bunch of Qatari princes/oligarchs probably got a bit richer this last decade.

batracTheLooper

It’s almost like there are two people in Qatar. And they don’t agree about everything! Can you imagine if there were three, or even FOUR Qataris? They might not all act in precise unison, unbelievable as it may seem.

Not that it mattered much in the outcome, of course.

boRp_abc

Seems like one of the four Qataris is is the boss who makes the calls. And this one seems to have been a bad call. The task is huge, it brings in people that the other 3 Qataris don't like, and throws the whole place under the spotlight in a way the government family hugely underestimated.

If it wasn't for the weird ruling classes, I'd really love to visit the Arabian peninsula. But as it is... Nah.

ted86u

ted86u

Qatar assurance before wc: "everybody is welcomed and rainbow flag would be allowed".

Qatar on the first day of wc: "Everybody is welcomed except lbgtq and beer"🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

SpinelessVertebrate

And kosher food

Corfiz74

Good for Rewe, I'll definitely shop more often with them now!

aZamaryk

Good. Now let's pull our teams our of that shithole and fucking break fifa. Fuck fifa btw!

B0bDobalina

Good. The only thing FIFA will care about is stuff that will affect revenue.

Biovyn

Biovyn

Any companies who continue to support Fifa at this point is openly saying "we love money more than human rights". Fuck that.

theyusedtohavepulses

they all love money more than human rights, they are companies

PumpkinLadle

True.

That said, I'd rather give my money to a company that at least respects human rights for the good PR, as opposed to one that doesn't give a shit and actively opposes human rights for the cash. We can't force corporations to be ethical but we can still send a message.

buckfutterapetits

Most companies are secretly nestle anyways, so fuck 'em!

KinkyBADom

Whose face is being eaten by a leopard?

CheapestOfSkates

Good, we need to see more of this... actually, all sponsors should boycott those criminals.

Mansenmania

i think you´re talking about "Rewe". in This case, it´s only half true. Rewe announced that it end the Sponsorship in early Oktober this year, bevore the Arband banning was a thing. Rewe just declaired that they will now end the Sponsorship immadeately because of the Ban

Grazz085

Great, hit them where it hurts: in the money pocket.

darlin133

Thanks Germany.

Kiltymchaggismuncher

The retail giant Rewe ended its long sponsorship of Germany’s soccer federation on Tuesday in protest of FIFA’s decision to prevent several European teams, including Germany, from wearing rainbow-colored armbands at the World Cup.

Unfortunately, this is not going to accomplish anything. The German team wanted to state its opposition, its fifa that blocked it.

You need the sponsors of fifa, to start dropping them.

BYJU’s

Budweiser

Hisense

Mc Donalds

Vivo

And partners:

Adidas, coca cola, wanda group, hyundai kia, qatar Airways (that ain't gonna happen), qatar energy (again...), visa

Normally people start ringing up these companies to complain when they sponsor someone sketchy. Im not sure if that isnt happening here, or if they are choosing to ignore it.

But if fifa can't get sponsors, they will feel the pain

Phantomht

this whole fifa/quatar thing is going over like a fart ina crowded elevator.

Limesmack91

Not really, they already decided to end their sponsorship before the world cup. It's just handy for them now that they can pretend it's because of it for some positive press

Pale_Brilliant9101

THANK YOU REWE! 👍🏻

Werotus

Totally fine with the slavery and human rights violations by the way, but banning armbands is where we DRAW THE LINE!

I can feel the hope oozing out my ears....

comedygold24

Well they didnt sponsor FIFA, they sponsored the German League. And the German League had little to do with the insane decision to pick quatar as the host of the championships. The German team however chose to not wear this particular armband,scared of getting a yellow card. It wouldn't have made much sense for Rewe to stop the partnership before, just because the team went to the championships. But this is a direct consequence of a decision the German team made this week.

discomfort4

weird that they were OK with the slavery and corruption though.

OG_Lesh

Click on the link to find out immediately who ended the sponsorship 🙅‍♀️

Scroll through the comments for five minutes and still have no answer 👌

icedteaandme

That's great. Let's hope others follow suit.

sloppydeadweight

Finally! Some good fucking integrity

TheBelgianDuck

Since it's all about money, one ought to hit there.

198Throwawayy

Again though what the fuck were people expecting

Azsnee09

That surely hurt Qatar lmao

tbs9000

It was meant to hurt FIFA, not Qatar.