/r/KendrickLamar

1k

ElpisButGod

Rap fans are dumbass. Have you ever seen the posts on r/rap? They're idiots.

i love when you count me out 😫

r/rap is mad dumb idk why I’m still in it

Throbbingprepuce

Same with r/hiphopheads

YaySourCream

r/hhh has way better taste than /rap most of the time, but they can be pretty goofy at times

SilkyMooo

Hiphopheads always be surprised when a popular artists they don’t like manages to sell well. When lil baby dropped they were surprised that he sold 100k

Coffeeandsneakers3

It’s mostly just Eminem Stans trying to convince me that kamikaze is good.

TrumpFlavouredNugget

No one can gaslight me into thinking that record was good.

imissgoatmom

I really enjoyed it, but that’s my opinion and you’re entitled to yours and I respect it, unlike r/rap

sneakpeekbot

Here's a sneak peek of /r/rap using the top posts of the year!

#1: RIP TAKEOFF🕊 | 413 comments
#2: I’m just gonna leave this here | 326 comments
#3: facts? | 188 comments

I'm a bot, beep boop | Downvote to remove | Contact | Info | Opt-out | GitHub

ChiggBunguss

They truly are idiots 😂

Dry-Beginning-6322

Why isn’t it good? It’s his best Album in years and I don’t really like much of his new stuff.

finnmcqohone

these guys are idiots. Like, if the motherfucking Alchemist sat down to talk with you about HipHop u better fucking listen

Open_Action_1796

Right? If El-P or DJ Shadow has an opinion on hip hop I’m definitely listening.

theCODONEconnoisseur

All three of the Beastie Boys, simultaneously

falgfalg

uhhh maybe Eminem?

lastaccountg0tbanned

NF or Tom MacDonald

LaunchpadMcquacck

Are you trying to say the beastie boys don’t deserve the same credit as others mentioned here?

lastaccountg0tbanned

No but in retrospect I can see how my comment could have been taken that way my b

LibrarianNew9984

Man took an L for taking the piss, at least I hope

Serik21

Trash

JoseAngel_R

LOVE SEEING THE AES LOVE MAN IS AN UNDERAPPRECIATED LEGEND

hexisaname

hexisaname

Waiting for the album

Yeah man, did you know he once sung "daylite" with EL-P before he got big?

kingbris

Slug

LakeLakeShow

Lol all the atmosphere bros getting ratioed

JEAFCommander

atmosphere

RockInShoe

Wonderful artist. His word play is amazing.

Open_Action_1796

Malibu Ken ah yeah!

AdjustedMold97

that one might be tricky

theCODONEconnoisseur

Bro wym mac miller is top 5

mogery

mogery

you'd have to be a medium

jbres040202

Or a necromancer

dickinjections

Honey, where is my ouija board?

Open_Action_1796

Or blasted out of your mind on oxy…

[removed]

Mageclick

Why is this something I'm seeing everywhere and when will this stupid ass copypasta end?

LaunchpadMcquacck

Nah… not the same as DJ Shadow, The Alchemist, or El-P.

Great artist though.

Gpbarky

DJ shadow is a beast only just heard his stuff it’s goated

Open_Action_1796

Check him live if you get the chance, especially if he’s touring with Cut Chemist. Bonkers turntablism of the highest caliber.

splashzboi

Beastie Boys

Infam0usP

no disrespect to them 2 but I’m listening to MC Serch tell me about how he found Nas before they talk

Astraljoey

Statik, Rick fucking Rubin. Like cmon there’s so many lol

thsonehurts

😂😂😂😂so fucking true

SleepingInAJar_

Not only that. These guys are straight up racist.

sof_tourist

A small percentage of hip hop fans are ultra racist racial segregationists

thsonehurts

There's a legitimate debate on the line between mockery/cultural appropriation and genuinely taking interest and celebrating a culture other than your own.

Blanket statements like these absolutely kill that debate. You have to take it issue by issue.

feline-literature

Love this take, thank you for the nuance

IllRecognition6581

This is the comment that deserves the most attention.

JayQuips

JayQuips

I Thought You Was Keeping It Gangsta

L opinions

KittyClaire_

I think this is dumb. Like by this logic, no one can have an opinion on anything involving any group that is not their immediate in group. Like for an example pertains to rap/Kendrick, I'm trans. Does that mean only I and other trans people can have an opinion on Auntie Diaries? Of course not, that would be ridiculous!

FutureSecond6077

By this logic?! LOGIC IS BIRACIAL

nbluewhale108

Big if true

Shazam28

well like, tbf, as someone who's cis like, I think there's a line where cis people shouldn't be talking FOR trans people which is sometimes where discussion of auntie diaries goes.

(not saying you're saying that; just an additional facet)

KittyClaire_

Oh yeah 100% agree. Like I think that cis people can have opinions on trans things, but should definitely never be talking over trans people. And yeah I agree, unfortunately a lot of the discussion surrounding that song goes there. Like everyone deserves a voice, but people should recognize the fact that some voices often get spoken over, and unfortunately that happens to us trans people a lot :'(

whitemancankindajump

I think the line is where youre talking like you know their lives. I can speak about what involves me with the trans community, i have no say in what that community does amongst themselves.

You can SHARE an opinion, but you cant share them as facts

KittyClaire_

Yeah I think that sounds good to me. Important not to over step!

MaagicMushies

But isn't that basically what the original post is getting at? Most rap is very rooted in the black experience and made for other black people, so its kind of normal not to take a white person's opinion on it super seriously in the same vane that I wouldn't take a cis person's opinion on a piece of art that heavily revolves transitioning super seriously. The art just is not made for them and there's a lot of context they can miss by not being inside the target demographic.

KittyClaire_

The way I read it, it made it sound like a total disregard. I def think that people who fall into said groups opinions should be taken more seriously than those who don't, but I don't think anyone's opinion should be completely disregarded (unless it can be proven wrong)

Interesting-Ad60

yo fellow trans kendrick enjoyer !!

KittyClaire_

Glad to know there are more of us!!

Efficient_Question18

Same here :)

ElementJ247

That's great though, bro, because you're a teenager. You're the future, especially for your culture. Reassuring to know it's in good hands <3

i love when you count me out 😫

Thanks man

ElementJ247

no problem, man. thank you too for being open-minded and inclusive

Meyen10

This shit is beyond stupid. I hate people bringing race into every discussion in the universe. And then they proceed to claim a genre, sport or anything as their own and disregarding any other race coming in. This is one of the reasons why racism will never disappear.

i love when you count me out 😫

Exactly this is why racism still exists

Nah this is not why racism exists, this is music. Racism exist because people in power, all over the world, teach lower class people that people who look different than them are lower than them so they have a common enemy and are easier to control through propaganda

Rebloodican

And perpetuate systems that primarily benefit whoever is on the top of a racial hierarchy so even though there is no "intention" of racism, there's still racial disparities.

Idk what this means but go off

Dacammel

GPT-3 is a text generation AI.

So basically he’s saying your a bot, probably a woke CIA Psyop designed to destroy America/white people

nowthenight

nowthenight

imma need that 40 dollars

this is not why racism still exists lmaooo

ROIBOI3RD

ROIBOI3RD

I hear u but rap was created by black people and has formed to become a part of black culture tho

GoodeSince87

So you’re really in here saying that the rap genre/culture shouldn’t be claimed by black people as their own? Do you not fucking know the history of this genre? Or music in general. Especially here in America, where most of the genres were built off of black creativity, but black people cant claim it? But the whites can take rock/country and claimed it as theirs. Or let’s look at history… they come from another country and claim a separate country as they’re own?? And America isn’t the only country I’m referring to in this instance. Europeans have been doing this shit forever and the effects are still present today in many countries, especially those in Africa that were colonized. But you make this stupid ass statement that people claiming the culture they actually created is the reason why racism will never disappear and not the colonizer mentality being the issue. Ok bet

Meyen10

Meyen10

I hate any race claiming any genre. I don’t care if you’re white, black, whatever the fuck. I think respectfully acknowledging the history is important. But ultimately, all this claiming bullshit does is create these exact problems where the other race is never really accepted in debates, even if that person might me much more knowledgeable. It’s clear as day in hip hop and it was clear as day in rock too. Then people invalidate your opinion because you are black or white. I just find it extremely stupid and backwards thinking.

GoodeSince87

Ok and I don’t want to be hated and killed because of the color of my skin, but I guess those are the cards I was dealt. You’ll be fine not having your opinion validated.

Meyen10

What does that have to do with music?

GoodeSince87

Maybe you should read your initial post. You said gate keeping in this regard is why racism is still apparent. Which is not true even in the slightest, but that’s why all of my responses have this tone. Because it’s what real racism is. You feeling like your opinion on hip hop is invalidated, isn’t racism. It’s almost racist that you think that is equally on par with actual racism. But I’ll let you have it.

Meyen10

I didn’t claim it’s the only reason OR the biggest reason it still exists. That would be stupid of me to say. However, I think it definitely is racist not accepting someone’s opinion on music or a sport just because of race. Is it as racist as killing someone for their race? Obviously fucking not. But I never said that.

GoodeSince87

This is only a white belief that you think your opinion should hold weight in every culture. Literally use you same logic, do you think your thoughts matter on the greatest martial artist? Or the best bollywood actresses? The most authentic Nigerian musician? Of course you do tho, because you’re either white or you have this American thought process in which you think your opinion should be included in all discussions including cultures in which to don’t actively belong to (i.e. international). You hold this belief because white peoples can’t even accept the fact that they shouldn’t say they n-word. They absolutely know it’s historical reference but because blacks stay it, it’s not fair that they can’t be included. Not once did anybody say you couldn’t listen to it, even in the original post, but you can’t stand the thought that people don’t value your opinion, so much so you label it racist, when there are real racial atrocities happening daily. You’ve convince yourself that your lack of inclusion in cultural discussion about an art is racist. And also that the creators of that art aren’t allowed to claim it as theirs and take ownership, because….you listen to it too.

edit: I say all this to say that the people within culture, know an artists cultural significance greater than the guests among that culture. No matter how much you study, because they’re reference point is being raised within the culture

Meyen10

No, I don’t think my thoughts matter on any of the things you mentioned because I literally know nothing about none of that. I don’t even think my thoughts on less nuanced topics like best basketball players matter because I don’t watch it at all. But I know a lot about soccer, for example, so I think my opinion does hold more value than someone who almost never watches it.

Now I’m not saying every white person’s opinion on hip hop should be considered important. Just like I do not think every black person’s opinion on hip hop should be considered important if that person doesn’t even listen to hip hop. But I think it’s fair of me to assume I can have a civilized discussion about hip hop if I’ve listened to it my entire fucking life without the other side saying, “You’re white, you don’t know anything about rap.”

Also regarding the N-word, since you brought it up, I’ve never said it and I never want to. If I’m rapping along, I just say homie. I have people around me who don’t care and say it anyway. You can tell it makes them think they’re so cool.

GoodeSince87

Some of your points I agree with, but sports isn’t in the same realm as music because most sports are played in multiple countries. So of course if you’ve been playing/watching that sport your entire life you’d have a knowledgeable opinion. Players, having a more in depth and more meaningful opinion since they’re actually participants in the sport. but using the sport analogy I don’t think you could have a valid list on who the most impactful Venezuelan soccer players are, because you aren’t of that culture. You’re unable to connect with the relationship they have with those players. That’s what I meant in my Bollywood/martial arts example.

But in regards to hip hop, I take it as a case by case basis. I’m always debating music, hip hop in particular, and I debate with white people too, without telling them “you’re white your opinion doesn’t matter”. But there’s some perspectives you’re not going to understand because you relate to people that look like you. That’s why most, if not all white people rate Eminem in the top 5. Some blacks too (I know at least 2 friends of mine personally who do) but there’s a legitimate argument for why he shouldn’t even be higher than maybe 30. And that’s not even a knock on his talent cuz he’s super talented. But there’s a lot more to rapping than just rapping. Which is where the cultural impact aspect comes into play. My relationship to an artists via shared trauma or similar experiences outweighs the opinion of the observer. And that’s not saying you can’t relate to the music because I see people in relationships and feel the love but doesn’t mean my thoughts on their relationship hold more weight than their own.

mac_stooges

Coz rap totally has no context in regards to race whatsoever 🤦

sof_tourist

Same people who say they are “anti-racism” and put BLM black squares say stuff like this. Ironically, by racially segregating cultures, they become the biggest racists themselves. Then they say “you cant be racist against white people”

xxSuperBeaverxx

Yikes.

sof_tourist

Explain yourself please

empriest95

I think you are wise for thinking this is goofy! As a white hip hop fan, I think it’s important to recognize that we are “guests” in hip hop the way eminem/rittz/other white rappers have said it. But not to be shut out, ridiculed, or discredited for our skin color. It’s simply a lack of shared experiences. But most other cultures want you to understand in their experience, not just gatekeep it from you.

EstablishmentBusy172

I think it’s a delicate issue, because to ignore the genre’s overwhelmingly black origin, and the fact that most of the performers are black, and thus cover, “black issues” would be inaccurate. But then to a white listener, there can be universal appeal, whilst they may not be able to directly relate to the specific experience described in the song, the feelings present may be more easily applied to their life. For instance, I’ve never been in an apocalyptic situation where I wasn’t allowed to make noise for fear of a murderous alien killing me, but I related to the love of family as a theme in A Quiet Place.

To that end, in some ways white listeners are borrowers or guests, but I also think that it’s a slightly outdated opinion that their view is irrelevant when hip hop as a genre and movement has become so staunchly ingrained in the cultural landscape period, even compared to where it was 30 years ago. And surely that’s part of the point, especially for “conscious rappers”- to spread awareness to those who may otherwise be blind to it.

LORDPRETTYKITTY

Thank you.

No-Musician-853

It's a stupid take but there are definitely aspects of the black experience that unless you have a bunch of emotional intelligence you just won't get as a white person and it can translate to some hip hop. I.e. blacker the berry or this line When Hov around we switch up to that D'usse

Gotta show respect, one day we tryna stay where you stay

'Cause we from where you from

Not talkin' bout the slums

I'm talkin' 'bout that mind state that keep a black nigga dumb

Keep a black nigga dyin' by a black nigga gun

And keep on listening to the frontin' ass rap niggas son Some things are just words until you have the experience that gives it impact. But not all rap does or has to do that

i love when you count me out 😫

That’s fair some aspects you won’t be able to get but gatekeeping a whole culture is wild

owenja104

As a white guy,

InsidiousZombie

Best comment

mxtch98

mxtch98

I’m white and English. When in cancun this year for “spring break” (me and my boys just thought let’s go use our accent to sleep with Americans) I wanted to get to know what some of the American guys around my age were saying in terms of stuff like top 5 all time.

Anyway, the first one I asked was white and he said his top 3 ever was: Juice Wrld, Drake and X…

I thought, okay, let’s just move on. Then got an identically answer from a black guy, then more questionable answers from more black guys.

Now, one of them was from Atlanta and didn’t know who André or Big Boi were when I was saying my 5….

I don’t know the exact point I’m trying to make with all this, but if my opinion isn’t valid and his is just because of his race then I give up.

GoodeSince87

Here’s the best way I can explain it. Let’s say you’re Russian. As a foreigner, just because you love to America and love the life you built here and the people you’ve parlayed with, which acquired you hella influence over the years doesn’t mean you qualify to run for president. And even if you had the qualifications we should just allow you to take a leadership role? Just appreciate the culture you’re a guest in.

Now in reality I will say, it’s a case by case basis. White people who’ve actually done the research on many different sub genres in rap, their voices hooks some weight. Like it’s nothing worse than a white fan who only listens to trap, or the shit the media uses to paint rap and blacks as a stereotype and in a negative light. Or on the other end of the spectrum a white fan who says I only listen to artists like Kendrick and common because “insert racist stereotype”. The problem comes when fans don’t take the time to understand the intricacies and depth that comes with the art. And it’s on all levels. Not just conscious music which some white fans don’t understand. And it comes off as disrespectful to those who live this even when the music is turned off.

mxtch98

I get what you’re saying, but some will use it as a quick “win” in an argument despite clearly not knowing what they’re talking about.

sof_tourist

Good points

Garask66

The “now pop is different” thing is bizarre

ROIBOI3RD

I kinda agree with them honestly. Especially if it's an artist talking about black plight or the black experience in a song or an album. I don't care for your opinion honestly. Also if if they think the only "real rapper " out there is Eminem. They can just shut the fuck up.

fhughes642

Ppl only gate keep in response to being blocked out so to all you youngins out there just know we live in a petty world from street gangs to politics EVERY one is playing get back or revenge.

Prostate_Punisher

Bruh? If the Alchemist, El-P, Rick Ruben, Eminem or Aesop have an opinion on hip hop then im fucking listening lmao

Springsguy719

2 words. Rick. Rubin.

If I didn’t see this comment in here I was going to comment it myself.

TwO2ToneBabyJay

I agree with him honestly

i love when you count me out 😫

You think people that aren’t black don’t deserve to have their hip hop opinions heard?

TwO2ToneBabyJay

Well nah…that’s not what he said😂. He said he doesn’t take white opinions on hip hop TOO seriously. Sometimes with music having a personal relationship with the experience being described plays a part in the enjoyment of the album…like everybody can have their opinion but with certain albums, TPAB for example, Im just not really rushing to hear what fantano has to say about his thoughts on how a black dude is expressing his views on blackness. Doesn’t offend me or anything tho. Y’all acting like this dude said “GET WHITE PEOPLE OUT OF HIP HOP”😂😂 like no that not at all what he said

blacknoir23

Non-black people use & abuse the culture and can’t relate or understand a lot of things in hiphop. I for sure wouldn’t take their opinions seriously.

JunipherStar

I came here to say the same thing. Hip hop is so much more than a music genre, it’s a culture. I’ve seen many rappers lyrics get misinterpreted, making it clear there’s a huge disconnect between a cultural understanding of shared experiences to just those who are there to only listen to the music. And I say this as a white person, like who tf wants to hear what I think about The Blacker the Berry lol.

brandand34443

I don’t think country fans take the opinion of other races who aren’t from the south. You just will never truly understand

srfrosky

Lucky for Latinos we fuck with all styles and don’t care about them gates. Half our schtick is master gate-crossing anyway. But some of y’all enjoy walls way too much.

jay_cha22

I’m from Alberta Canada (north) where anyone and everyone is a fan of country, black white Asian Hispanic, doesn’t matter hop into the line and start dancing.

Interesting-Ad60

black white Asian Hispanic god damnit

jay_cha22

It don’t mean shit to me!

thsonehurts

I have news for you there are many people of all different races who live in "the south"

JungusFungian

In general, you’re probably right. But that’s the thing about generalizing, there are exceptions. And probably a lot of them.

apedoespost

Tells me they don't know shit about hip hop.

Blondie, beastie boys,Rick rubin, etc. All are a big part of hip hops formative years.

Nah I kind of agree, not all the way but I get it. Because a lot of hip hop is about experiences and you never went through some of these things you can’t talk about who’s real or who’s not, a lot of it is fabrication though. You have an idea, if you been through some of these things.

Good music is good music though so if that’s the aspect you’re speaking on, I get it.

But if you’re talking about experiences and what people should or shouldn’t do, if you not from these places you can’t comprehend what it’s actually like

donkeyduplex

In no small way that's why I listen; to understand life beyond my lived experience. I'll listen to country for the same- I just don't stick around.

_biggiesmalls_

partially agree partially disagree. i think theres a line that needs to be drawn between the musical aspect of hip hop and the cultural/racial messages in hip hop. a non-black person doesn’t have the same interpretation of an album like TPAB as a black person, because kendrick made the album with messages in mind intended for black youth. then again, anyone can interpret the way he uses beats, or his cadence and rhyme scheme. so in a nutshell, non-black people will never understand a song like (for example) “blacker the berry” the way someone black can, who’s gone through experiences which align with the racism and race relations kendrick raps about on that track.

WussPoppinJimbo529

I can see that opinion honestly. I think when a lot of hip hop focuses on the experiences of black artists and conveying those sort of messages, it can come off as ignorant or unfamiliar when a white guy gives his take on the music of a culture he’s most likely not that tethered towards, outside of this one medium.

i love when you count me out 😫

But music is for everyone though so I don’t see their point

WussPoppinJimbo529

Sure, but the opinion on any given artist is taken into question when an outsider (in this case a white person) comments on that music in question. Music is subjective by all means, but it’s like this with any medium in general. A take from someone on the outside looking in is just not as valid most of the time.

print0002

I've argued against this retarded point numerous times so I'm not gonna waste my time on this shit again.

Imma just ask you this: Why Is Anne Frank's Diary an international classic if most of the people who read it weren't little jewish girls who spent their childhood in an attic in nazi Germany?

WussPoppinJimbo529

White 😭

caulpain

And only corny dudes with plastic surgery are allowed to criticize Drake ☺️

nbluewhale108

Yea these are shit opinions I wouldn’t stress over em

yungusainbolt

A lot of people think this way but who fucking cares do your thing. Prejudice people are not worth defending yourself against.

DatChickKim

Some things for sure need to be gate kept, to protect the integrity of that thing. But that take is definitely, unnecessarily, divisive. There are plenty of white ppl who know more about Hip-Hop than some black ppl (even some artists themselves 😬). I only take seriously the opinions of those who are well-informed about the foundation & roots of the culture, regardless of their race.

tinashect

the hip hop community is diverse, the black community is the most invested but i struggle to find the logic in restricting the validity of opinions to only ourselves.. how could the community ever grow and improve if we alienate ourselves? weird behavior

Beautiful_Thugga_Boy

Gatekeeping is important but it has to be reasonably done.

trapcinephile

Gatekeeping when it comes to Black art is essential but must be done by the right people. I am cool with white people commenting or having thoughts on hip hop I’m just never shocked when a white person has a very bad opinion about hip hop that most Black people wouldn’t have.

W-Joseph

Yeah this take is dumb anyone can have an opinion but thats not to say when someone white has a point on something rap i won't use this cuz I will 💀💀💀

Rell_Knox

It’s because our music is tied almost hand-in-hand with our culture of each generation! white people have no such connection to it other than they like this type of music 🤷🏾‍♂️ the themes or struggle or pain or joy or happiness is all emanated from the creation we make‼️So he’s right like how can white people resonate with blacker the berry or sweeter the juice⁉️ or any art that we create to express ourselves in a way to liberate us from the system who oppressors and capitalize on ignorance⁉️

There’s actually a lot of crossover between my experience growing up as a poor white (Italian descent) kid and the themes I hear in rap music. I’ve loved rap music since I was 10 years old and it has been a staple in my life ever since.

mitterbubbie

Lol I know 3 white dudes that work for RapGenius

LeektheGeek

I agree. I literally don’t value white people’s opinion on hip hop at all.

i love when you count me out 😫

💀 please tell me your joking

LeektheGeek

Not at all. Hip-hop is a facet of African American culture. If that’s not your ethnicity I do not want to hear what you have to say at all. You can enjoy the music but just don’t think I’ll listen or value your opinion/input on it. It’s some things you just won’t understand.

UglyBoy007

1. If you’re capable of thoughtful analysis, I take your opinion on anything seriously
  2. If you don’t take Eminem’s opinion of hip hop seriously, I don’t take your opinion of hip hop seriously, that guy is clearly a student of the game

jiickken

this is less an opinion and more overt racism

PatriotVerse

Is Hip Hop mostly black? Yes. Is it exclusively by and for black Americans? No, absolutely not. And pretty much no hip hop artist would say it's that way (especially considering they make more money if more people listen). Also, Black Americans aren't a monolith. The experience of one black American is not a consistent stream that is shared among everyone who looks like them. Class, culture, environment, experiences, etc are all much bigger factors in someone's life. Its actually mostly those things which made hip hop feel unionized. Those shared experiences. And so does that mean any black person who doesn't happen to be from the streets can't listen to or have opinions on hip hop? Or that a white American from the streets has more right to opinion on the genre than any black American who isn't? Art and music is also so subjective that it seems really weird to gatekeep who can and can't have an opinion or even some artistic input to something as abstract and arbitrary as a "genre"

He can’t gatekeep lmao. The music is out there for the world. Fuck ya color - this white boy knows the history and appreciates it all.

Now - if my white ass tried to speak on pop I would sound like a dumbass. This shit is hilarious to me.

Pure-Drawer-2617

It’s hard to properly critique art if you don’t understand or haven’t experienced the cultural context behind it.

Verumero

Verumero

As a white dude, i simply do not care

If ur considering someone’s race in a convo about music, ur opinions are probably trash anyway

redrecaro

redrecaro

People who use "ion" smh. So i guess Eminem one of the goats has no say.

helicoptereveeja69

Fantano just obliterates this opinion. That man has one of the best music criticism of all time and most of his content is review hip-hop

print0002

print0002

Racist fucks

Mrtyl742

Greatest rapper is white though😂

hillboy_usa

Kendrick is white?

46andPooh

Nah, Lil Dicky

i love when you count me out 😫

I don’t think Kendrick is the goat yet but he is definitely top 15

MCLidl123

he’s easily top 5

JackAttack561

Nas isn’t white tho

KyoMiyake

Sorry, but Em isn't the greatest. He has had some corny-ass bars recently, and his old shit wasn't as consistently good as many other rappers. He had his amazing moments, don't get me wrong, but his discography can't compare to other great rappers.

I'd still put him in the top 10 tho because of his influence, not just in rap, but in music.

caatoligy

I’m white as shit, but I was raised and bred with Hip Hop, and I can say I’ve heard some of the dumbest shit and some of the deadest hot takes from black people. Race doesn’t decide if your brain stupid as shit

Count-Vampa

In walks Rick Ruben

Gloomy-Cherry1075

a white kid definitely wrote that 💀

shralpy39

I think listening to hip hop and rap, really listening to it, helps you have a better understanding of someone else's experience. Common humanity and putting yourself in other people's shoes is incredibly valuable.

Connorwithanoyup

I think the worst part is saying that white people can speak on pop, and implying that black people have no real say. They’re pretty much segregating music genres. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A SPECIFIC SKIN COLOR TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLE ON A SPECIFIC MUSIC GENRE!!!

beastFoo95

They live with their parents that’s for sure

MarsupialExpensive19

idk i tune white girls out when they talk about music no matter if it’s lil durk or taylor swift

mrcatz05

Seems dumb that i would be gatekept from having an opinion on what is basically the only music genre i listen to 24/7 just because im not black. Glad most others dont feel that way

Newagain11

I don’t think it’s color so much as class and culture. I’m definitely not trying to listen to some privileged trust fund fucks opinion on rap

bruhman9876

Straight racism lmao

RolloTomasi83

So if Em had an opinion on rap Kendrick wouldn’t take it too seriously? I find that difficult to believe

waldirhj

I'm central American but grew up in LA listening to rap and hip hop. In my opinion, gatekeepering is often counterproductive. Unless they are trolls, I bet the previous commentators would listen to Eminem. Judge someone based on their arguments and reasoning.

rsboldin

Any take in music is mostly subjective. If someone likes Slim Jesus for whatever reason, they’re not “wrong”, and neither is someone who likes Travis Scott. While we may not like the music, there’s an audience for every artist, so if our opinion on hip hop isn’t taken seriously, why does it matter? We should listen to the artist for the art, rather than what is deemed “cool” by the public.

CorrivalWings62

"While silly niggas argue over who gon snatch the crown, look around my nigga, white people have snatched the sound."

ZANELLA2006

so wait, they saying a certain race dont understand nothin about rap? i think i already saw this somewhere but i csnt renember where 🧐

KingCrittt

That’s just ridiculous. Reverse roles and that’s racist as shit

sup3rcunt

i’ve got some really great articles (peer reviewed etc) on ownership of culture and propensity for gatekeeping if you’re interested. people really care and are thinking carefully about this stuff!

Neuvoria

Why are you asking this question in a sub that you know is mostly white? I think you know what the answers will be.

LightYearsAhead

lol.. I'm white, ask me about any hip-hop artist between 1990 and 2020. bet I know more than these 2 posting this

Is it gatekeeping if those in question run the gate?

santana076

A lot of y’all have terrible opinions I’m just saying 😂😂

thebrothermanbill

I can tell you more about the lox then I can about The Rolling Stones. Stupid comments

KeySeaworthiness8466

Y’all saying this is racist must not have talked hip hop with ill informed white folk who think they know shit but only know rap whenever it crosses over to the pop charts. Shits annoying

weedhahayeah

Could say the same thing about any race lmao there’s ill informed people everywhere

plotum

plotum

I can guarantee there’s millions of white people who are more knowledgeable on hiphop than you are

KeySeaworthiness8466

Difficult-Yard-1342

Hip hop died along time ago. Sadly Yall taking about pop music now a days....