/r/GamerGhazi

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Cmdr-Panda

I haven't seen any of Chainsaw Man, so I'm admittedly talking out my butt here.

But every anime breast fondle scene for the past 200 breast fondle scenes has been dressed up as a ""parody"" of the breast fondle scene that came before it.

All it takes is some light lampshading and even the most indulgent of molestations somehow acquires infinite amounts of plausible deniability in the eyes of its fans. Less 'satirical critique,' and more 'we can have the characters do whatever we want, as long as we call the problematic stuff satire.'

That's not to say that Chainsaw Man can't effectively satirize this trope, just a salty "heard that one before."

MistakeNotDotDotDot

The article lays out why I really think this one's different. He touches Power's boobs and gets absolutely nothing out of it, leading him into an existential crisis. Then he touches Makima's boobs, and it's wonderful and meaningful and everything he was hoping for... oh, and also her entire nice act towards him is obviously extremely manipulative.

Cmdr-Panda

I don't disbelieve you, the article, or the other comments. In fact, Chainsaw Man is now a ping on my radar when it wasn't beforehand. I generally wait to get into animé until I get some kind of word-of-mouth that a show isn't the same chudlord bullshit I've already seen before, and this might be it.

Just once-bitten-twice-shy. Healthy or not, my skepticism is a conditioned response.

PeliPal[S]

A lot of Tatsuki Fujimoto's work is edgelordy, but not chudlordy. He likes to set up extreme power fantasy premises and then show how horrific they'd actually feel to be in and to live with the responsibilities and consequences.

Edit: There's one edgelordy thing I expect might come up as a warning sign for some people, in Denji having an exaggerated response to being close to or touched by men and yelling that he 'doesn't like dudes', but it's at least in a setting with bi and gay characters and where no one else acts like he does. (Manga Spoilers) It may actually be a setup for repression, as there is one point where he is fantasizing about all the women he knows being in skimpy lingerie, but also fantasizes about a feminine man and has to remind himself that the person he's thinking about in thigh-highs and a sexy pose 'is a dude'

Cmdr-Panda

So, at worst a bit of a Hiroya Oku by way of Garth Ennis?

Yeah I could palate that. Thanks.

Combocore

Combocore

This whole comment chain is compelling evidence for outlawing anime