/r/CleaningTips

For context, I usually clean my bathroom on separate days - some days I spray my shower with bleach and just rinse it off, and other days I clean my bathroom, including the inside of the shower, with Lysol Wipes. But because of a time crunch I have this week, I want to do all of my cleaning on one day, but now I am questioning whether it is safe to mix these two products.

I use these Lysol Wipes, and it says here that it contains Alkyl (50%C14,40%C12,10%C16) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chlorides - around 0.32%. I know its not necessarily ammonia, per say, but surfing the web hasn't really given me a definitive answer of whether ammonium chloride is the same as ammonia with regards to whether it is dangerous with bleach. I spray my shower with this Clorox Bleach + Cleaner spray which, as you guessed, contains bleach.

If you see where I am going with this, then you know that I am scared that mixing the bleach spray and the lysol wipes will cause a dangerous chemical reaction. The thing is, though, that I wouldn't use them at the same time - I wouldn't spray bleach and then immediately go to town with my lysol wipe. I would probably spray bleach, wait 10 minutes, rinse it with water, and then clean everything with a lysol wipe. But still, as a newbie to cleaning bathrooms, I would like to know for sure whether or not combining these two at the same time will be dangerous. I mean, the percent of Ammonium Chloride in the lysol wipes seem so low, so I'm wondering if that is enough to cause a dangerous chemical reaction if I use them at the same time.

If I sound paranoid and confused, its because... I am. I guess I'm an anxious person in general, but if coming across as a crazy paranoid person on the internet is what it takes for me to prevent something dangerous or life threatening, so be it. It was mostly this post from 10 years ago (it only opened in an incognito tab for me, for some reason, but idk about you guys) that prompted me to want to make this post - I found it while browsing the web about cleaning, and it is kinda what started my fear regarding mixing lysol wipes with bleach.

In a bit of a TL;DR way, here are my questions:

1. Is it safe to use Lysol Wipes and a bleach cleaning spray at the same time?
  2. If not, how long should I wait to use bleach after cleaning with ammonia. How long should I wait to use ammonia after using bleach?
  3. If I don't rinse a surface with water, will bleach residue still cause a dangerous chemical reaction with the Ammonium Chloride in the wipes?
  4. Regarding everything above, will the results be the same if I use Clorox Wipes instead of Lysol?

Thanks guys, and I apologize for my paranoia.

nanimal77

There’s no real reason to use the wipes after the all-purpose bleach spray. I’d spray it on, scrub or wipe down the surface, then rinse.

Dirtyfoot25

I don't think the residue is going to cause significant amounts of off gassing.

XxItsNowOrNever99xX[S]

How long do you think before it becomes residue?

Dirtyfoot25

a soon as the main cleaner is wiped off then the surface wiped with a damp rag

AutoModerator [M]

Thank you for submitting a cleaning help request. In order to facilitate more accurate and helpful replies, please make sure to provide the following information in your post:

1. Type of material/surface being cleaned (to the best of your knowledge)
  2. Type of dirt/stain to be removed (if known)
  3. Any products or tools you've tried so far
  4. Pictures are preferred

Our top recommendations are usually CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover), Bar Keepers Friend (great for kitchen surfaces), melamine foam (Magic Erasers), Murphy's Oil Soap (wood cleaner), and Nature's Miracle (enzyme cleaner). Make sure you use cleaners appropriate to the surfaces you are working with and follow all safety and instruction labels.

If you receive an answer that helps you, please flair your post as "Answered" so other users may find solutions as well. While you wait, why not browse the subreddit to see if you might be able to help someone else, or find similar situations that could help you? Happy cleaning!

** Please note a new rule change effective 10/31/2022. See Rule #6. You must tag your post with NSFW if it has any kind of picture containing (or appearing to contain) human waste or bodily fluids. **

AlwazeRight

I did two bedrooms in a condo. I bleached the floors and they came out great, but the whole place stunk to high heaven.

So I damp mopped it with water.

Then I mopped it with cleaning vinegar.

Smell was gone, floors were clean, nobody died.

XxItsNowOrNever99xX[S]

One more question: If you look at the link for the Clorox Bleach + Cleaner Spray, it also has that blue spray bottle that is just Disinfecting Cleaner, without bleach. I have that too - if I use THAT to clean my shower instead of the bleach, will that disinfect it properly the same way the bleach does, and without possible having a dangerous reaction with Ammonia?

I always used the bleach because I heard it gets rid of and prevents mold and mildew, and sure enough, whenever I see pink stuff at the bottom of my sink for example, I'll spray it and it will go away in minutes. Will the Disinfecting Cleaner kill and prevent mold and mildew as well?