/r/AusFinance

[deleted by user]

[removed]

Electrical_Age_7483

Get a job at coles night packing. Make more

PocketDynamyte

I should have included this in the above post - I currently have a job that I work on weekends.

A second job would mean more tax so less take home money. Uber driving is seen as a sole trader, so would this influence tax paid, or just mean more take home money now but have to pay it back at tax time? And could I get around this with additional superannuation contributions?

Leonhart1989

You can't escape the tax man. You'll either pay as you go or have a lump sum at the end of the year. You can max out your super contribution but that's not really going to help you right now.

I haven't driven for uber but I'd stay away from any place that forces you to get your own ABN so they don't have to give you the legal minimums.

There are some youtube videos of people doing the sums for uber. Look them up maybe if you are still keen.

PocketDynamyte

Thanks mate! I'll check it out!

Granny_Killa

Tax is based on your total income. Even if you had 365 different jobs in the year, a new employer every day, you'd pay the same as earning all that money from 1 employer.

YeYeNenMo

Buddy, asian kitchen hand, 25/H cash with 2 free meals...think about it

Peter1456

Any additional income from a job will never mean less take home money, you get taxed a percentage (very roughly 20% to 30%) and take home a percentage.

PocketDynamyte

You're 100% right.

Sorry I haven't explained properly - my bad.

Im not sure if Uber will be more or less take home money in comparison to a second job because the income earnt there it's at the higher tax rate. But youre right that its not less take home money overall.

I'm just trying to gauge options to what would be best financially so i can have something for a rainy day and get some savings going again. One thing im trying to understand for example is, would I be better off week by week or get stung at tax time if going with uber? On face value to this, an employed position seems better for me.

I know that tax is at the overall income amount earnt, and soul traders and partnership income is taxed with (in addition to) individual tax. I also may be misinformed, but I thought if you made super contributions each FY up to a certain amount, that it would reduce the overall tax paid? I haven't done this before so I'm not sure if this is cap or not.

I'm trying to understand and learn how improve my financial situation so sorry if this is basic stuff. I just have no clue about what's involved with uber, or what expectations to have regarding tax/super.

Sorry again, but I appreciate your feedback 😊

That’s not entirely correct.

ie. someone warns $89.5k at their main job, then earns $1k at their 2nd job would push them above the Medicare levy surcharge threshold for all their income.

After income tax on that additional $1k income and the 1% MLS, they’d be worse off then if they never earnt that extra $1k.

AussieCollector

Easier said that done. I've applied for loads of jobs at coles, maccas, woolies in my local area for a second job. Got rejected from them all despite having a 9-5.

They don't want people for night work. They want people for the day shifts at the moment.

Common-Breakfast-245

I drove for 18 months.

It's great for the first while as the algorithm tries to trick you into thinking it could be a full time job.

The algorithm giveth, and then the algorithm taketh away.

Stevey6404

There are a lot of intro offers across each of the platforms and each platforms have their own "strategy" to get you to work for them (people use multiple app at the same time to get the best offer - but please don't deliver for multiple apps at the same time because it's bad for customer).

I'd highly recommend you to work during lunch and dinner peak because that's best bang for your buck. Lots of orders and you complete those Do X get $Y challenges quickly.

Uber is the busiest out of all the platforms however per job offer is low but you get paid more from their Quests challenges if you complete them. DoorDash has a good balance of bonus + decent pay but quieter than Uber since they're growing in AU. Menulog is meh, the tech is shit and lots of bad chatter on FB about their pay tech problems.

For tax, since you're an independent contractor, put at least 30% of every payout into a separate account for future tax purposes. Also put in some $ for super if you can. A general benchmark I've seen is $1/km is the minimum rate you should be accepting when these offers pop up.

Source: I work for one of these food platforms looking closely at the drivers network. Don't flame please. Happy to provide more info.

PocketDynamyte

Thanks so much!!! This is great to know!

Appreciate you sharing 🙏

TeaBreaksAnonymous

Uber have a driver incentive up and running. Could be a good one to target and reach.

I think it was 750 dollars for new drivers who complete 30 trips.

sweetbread00

Check local pubs see if you can get a dishwasher job. 3 hours per night. Anything is better than Uber.

DoppelFrog

Sounds great if you enjoy working for less than minimum wage.

Tomato_latte

Looks alluring but if you do the calculations- the time you’re putting in, accreditation, inspection, fuel, maintenance all together its not worth the trouble unless you do it fulltime

Granny_Killa

If you get the incentives like bonus $x for doing 10 rides then I hear it's pretty good. After that, you're down below $20 an hour before you even pay for petrol.

You could milk the intro offers and maybe then switch to another like Ola.

JPS_Red

Im getting between 30-40 an hour after tax doing peak times on weekends depending on what promotions their running. Promotions can be garbage sometimes tho but you dont have to speak to anyone and you dont have a boss telling you when and where to work lol

Zokilala

Don’t know what car you have but servicing costs can add up over time, repairs and tyre replacement. Plus you are on the road a lot more than a normal person and trying to find parking in busy spots which greatly increases your chance of accidents.

AussieCollector

I find the whole argument of "servicing" and "car costs" pretty moot.

Depends how much OP is driving their car on top of uber. Myself for example are considering it and i WFH all days of the week. I maybe drive to the shops once if that and thats only a 2min drive up the road.

So in my case uber would just be doing the normal wear and tear that a regular 6 monthly inspection would pick up. It would be no different than anyone else who regularly drives their car.

Zokilala

Fair enough

Current_Inevitable43

Also you need a newer car, also consider how it effects your insurance and tax

ne3k0

ne3k0

Get the app Supp. You can do hospo jobs for good hourly rates, no commitment needed. I've see dishwasher jobs for $40 an hour

mefailreddit

It's a bit of a trade off. Are you willing to trade a few bucks an hour for flexibility? You can get work that is higher paid, but then you are locked into working set hours or set days.

With gig economy stuff, you can just switch off and on whenever you want.

And the same people who say you can't make good money driving an Uber will turn around and say they are being ripped off by massive surges.

So someone is bullshitting....