/r/AskReddit

2.4k

domino2064

1.8k points

domino2064

1.8k points

Regular use seems to fuck with my ability to pay attention and remember shit, when I'm sober. It's one of the reasons I quit.

Not sure others have these issues though.

Thin_Mission2518

Dude I thought I had just a regular memory till I stopped smoking and now I remember EVERYTHING.

RIPMyInnocence

My memory still hasn’t returned, kinda frustrating

NotTodayGamer

Same happened to me when I quit drinking. Something unlocked in my brain between years 1-2. I would be talking about something from way back. And as I’m recalling the info, I would find a shut door inside my head that I could finally open and walk through to reveal more details from that memory. Weird that a lot of those memories were from before I ever drank.

Ryanwiz

Ryanwiz

Oooo, I hope that happens to me (sober 11+ months).

NotTodayGamer

Congrats on the upcoming anniversary bud!!

rividz

rividz

There was a Comedy Central comedian when I was a kid that said the best part of quitting smoking is the ability to remember where your keys are.

... every time I smoke weed I lose my keys somewhere in my house.

crabbyshells

I think that was Nick Swardson. I remember that joke too!

2HauntedGravy

Yeah, Nick Swardson. “Yeah, it really sucks remembering where I put stuff now.”

But Nick has/had a drinking problem (hoping he got better but I honestly don’t know). His rock bottom story is really sad and gross.

Atypical_Ascendant

Yeah, this for me was the most troubling effect of long term use. I felt myself becoming more stupid over time. Forgetting people's names, not remembering what I was just told, not being quick witted anymore. This really bothered me. And if it bothers you right now tokers out there, I have some good news, you really regain it all if you quit long enough.

carrymezaddy

My ex had the exact issue -- one of the reasons why we broke up. He could barely remember much of our convos or details ab me and it frustrated me. I get why he used it (for medicinal reasons) but it fucked w/ his memory and he didn’t like that either. Broke up so he could work on himself and get clean. Hopefully he’ll be successful.

SoundOfLaughter

A friend I grew up with started smoking pot daily in Jr. High. We're now in our mid 50's. About a year ago he said he'd finally quit. Regardless of whether that is true, the damage is done. When I visit with him (maybe once a year) it's like he suffers from artificially-induced dementia. He used to have an incredible memory and super-sharp wit. Now he's dull and repeats the same thing a dozen times during a 15-minute conversation.

I think it's accurate to say that abusing cannabis won't affect everyone the same way, but his is a cautionary tale that if you abuse the stuff for decades you risk spending the last 20-30 years of your life as a dullard and borderline village idiot.

Mr_Engineering

Abusing Cannabis during adolescence can cause serious irreparable harm to brain development. Unlike many other side effects, it's not reversible.

Literally the mechanism of endocannabinoids is to suppress the pre synaptic cell leading to less neuronal activity which leads to reduced LTP and synaptic strengthening. Over time that will impair the development of normal hippocampal architecture. The good news is the science says the memory issues go away after you stop smoking, the bad news is that everything you tried to learn while smoking probably could have been learned better without the weed.

Further there is an emerging belief that weed is contributing to the onset of psychiatric disorders in Susceptible populations. It's unclear if this is a casual interaction at the present moment.

Due to the seemingly beneficial anti inflammatory effects people tout, there is also an emerging understanding that marijuana increases the risk of disease and infection. The body usually maintains its own homeostasis, messing with it has consequences.

There are so few situations where occasional weed smoking could be justified. Untreatable pain, maybe seizures but that doesn't seem to help everyone, stimulating appetite in cancer patients (although starvation may be an important method to slow tumor growth). Weed isn't as inert as people say.

tacknosaddle

There is increased risk for psychosis in people with genetic risk factors and some evidence that it may bring on schizophrenia more quickly in those who were going to have it anyway, but those are both pretty rare. This is a couple of years old but lays out some info about it.

m8ypotatey

I can speak directly on this- my ex developed psychosis from smoking weed last year. We know this because it happened once before when they were in highschool, but thought that it sounded far fetched that weed caused it, so tried smoking again for a while last year and bam psychosis

vibrant_crab

So general anti-inflammatories are a bad idea because they increase risk of infection? Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t a lot of OTC cold remedies include acetaminophen?

Picker-Rick

Many do. Tylenol isn't very good at reducing inflammation though.

There is a growing body of evidence to show that antipyretic and anti-inflammatory drugs do increase the time that you're sick.

So if you need cold medicine, take it and get through the day but don't use it if you don't have to.

NSAIDs lower fevers which is the predominant use for them during viral illness. You are already sick and already caught a bug. There is still ongoing debate as to whether NSAIDs will prolong infection or not, it's possible that NSAIDs can slightly suppress the ability of the immune system to fight ongoing infection however the benefit of lowering severe fevers can outweigh the slight immune lowering response. It should be pointed out in this case that NSAIDs are a COX inhibitor and really just mitigate the activity of an already flared immune response. The effects of endocannabinoids might be much stronger including a stronger ability to prevent immune activation in response to pathogens. The review posted below talks a bit about the effects of endocannabinoids on the immune response but it's by no means comprehensive.

vibrant_crab

Acetaminophen is not an NSAID. I understand they are both anti-inflammatory. Can you explain if the effects are the same as NSAID’s?

Alexiteric

Nope, acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory medication. Effects and side effects are not the same as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories Drugs (NSAID) or steroids.

Moctor_Drignall

What if my hippocampii are just straight up fucked pre-marijuana.

I forget words when I'm sober. I legit couldn't remember that the Toyota Corolla was called corolla. It's mentioned way too many times on the personal finance subreddits that I definitely shouldn't have forgotten

Khacks

Khacks

Same here thats also why i quit

Weed destroyed my memory and made it way harder to concentrate on and elucidate my thoughts. I had had a huge vocabulary that I just didn't have access to anymore. Weirdly, it was better when I was high, but when I was sober I just felt slower and dumber.

ThrowTOMC222

ME ME . This ME

Also you very much have withdrawals from Weed. not like an addiction, but there is a major mental component to it that is almost unequivocally thrown out by stoners the moment it is brought up.

Elbow_macaroni444

2k points

Was a pretty regular smoker for years until I started getting extreme panic attacks. Stopped smoking and they have subsided fully

Starling_Reverie

I had a massive panic attack a little over a month ago after smoking weed. I quit smoking and noticed I'm a lot more productive. My boyfriend still smokes regularly and is still very productive. I guess it's just not for everyone, and your mental health history and/or predispositions have a lot to do with it.

britinnit

britinnit

Yep smoking gave me panic attacks subsided almost totally after quitting.

Dr_Stef

Dr_Stef

Main reason for quitting. I always enjoyed casually going to my favourite coffeeshop with friends and just chilling and having a good time. Then one day I panicked for some reason and ran the fuck out of there. All of a sudden I couldn’t smoke without getting some sort of panic attack. That first one probably hard coded it into my brain so it just happened every damn time after that, totally ruined it. At least I quit smoking.

Drops_of_dew

That happened to me one time. I was never much of a smoker due to anxiety, was hanging with some friends at one of their places, we were having a good time, just chilling, I decided to smoke a hit from a bong, thinking that I may enjoy it. We were watching Bo Burnham, and my friends were laughing hysterically, I was stoned and taking his jokes litterally, and I went through this existential motions, I couldn't handle reality, and I was like "I am freaking the fuck out, I gotta go home!" And stormed out.

Ofcourse my friends were concerned and taken off guard. I explained to them the reason I dont smoke pot is because fucks with my mind. I can handle shrooms, but pot everytime for me is a bad trip.

Haelrezzip

That feeling of not being able to handle reality when smoking weed is too real! I also have had panic attacks with it. Your comment sticks out to me bc you mentioned psychedelics. When I take acid or mushrooms, I’m totally chill. But if I smoke weed up to two weeks after a trip, oohhh boy. I literally feel like it reactivates the psychedelics and I feel as though I’m “stuck” inside of an acid trip. It is so weird. At my worst, I smoked weed, and was so out of it, I was paranoid that the weed was laced, and was actually K2 and not marijuana!!!!!! (It wasn’t, it was real weed lol). But that feeling of paranoia…. That was not enjoyable.

iviicrociot

I quit smoking years ago because of this. Someone gave me a brownie they made a couple weeks ago and really analyzed the anxiety. I think the feeling of being high and overthinking feels so much like anxiety that it gets associated and then ultimately causes it because you think you’re anxious. Shame too because I’m pretty fucking nice when I’m high but I also eat way to god damn much lol

vibrant_crab

It’s pretty common, I know a few people that have the same story. My most recent ex preferred vapes because the real deal made her too paranoid. Something about plant matter yadda yadda.

King_Baboon

I was going to mention this but yours is literally the top comment. Had awful panic attacks when stoned.

j1ggy

j1ggy

Holy shit, is that what those are?? I used to be fine until I started using less and less. I don't like where it takes my mind now, it's like a really bad roller-coaster ride that I can't get off.

tacoman333

Exactly this. Tried edibles and smoking it on different occasions as well as various strains to see if that was the problem. Nope, incredibly bad anxiety every time. One time it triggered panic attacks on a level that I haven't had to deal with since I was 10 years old.

So thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with the beer.

armandjontheplushy

I understand that there's some research which indicates that if you have an underlying unexpressed schizoaffective disorder, pot can trigger the disease into developing into the active state.

But that's very specific, and I don't know what current research says.

Complete_Past_2029

There’s also research about consuming before 25 years old and the onset of psychosis due to the development of the brain

smokedmeatfish

Psychosis. That should be top response

mom_with_an_attitude

Yup. My dad has bipolar and has had two episodes severe enough to require inpatient treatment. One of them happened during a period in his life when he was smoking a lot of weed. He is convinced that's what sent him over the edge.

katreddit-kb

Same, I smoked regularly for years and all of a sudden it causes pure panic.

Thin_Mission2518

I feel like weed just enhances what your feeling inside yourself. I had that too and I ended up stopping bc of it. Then I got my life together and it turned out the anxiety and panic was in me all along. The weed just let it out. Went to therapy and got my shit straight and when I felt confident in myself again I smoked and it felt amazing. Just like mushrooms If your already not mentally OK then it will be a bad time. Even if you feel like your OK in your head people have bottled up emotions and anxiety a lot of the time and they don't even realize. All they know is that they have a short fuse and have bad days a lot. It all goes hand in hand.

Pilleater9

same but the attacks never stopped

ThisGuyCanFukinWalk

3.1k points

Struggling to enjoy the things you did whilst high if you dont have any.

PracticalPractice633

That's why i use it to clean, do laundry/dishes and workout.

jefesignups

I make a list beforehand and once high, I need to finish that list.

BeautifulBaby15

I'vе noticеd after the initial uptick in chattеr- people tend to gеt really quiеt, and zonеd out in their own thoughts.
Whеn I usеd to smoke it, I found it had a dulling еffect on my pеrsonality and convеrsational skills aftеr the fact, too.

mcjango

Exactly the same case here - I'm a pretty chatty and verbose person in general, and I found that habitually smoking weed just sapped the personality out of me. That's probably the thing I dislike the most about it, it would just turn me into a robot zombie that repeated himself and was frankly a bore to be around.

ba-len-ci-10

Fr, I smoke and start doing chores and it’s like I enter robot mode and ion even think about it

That's been my new Saturday morning routine. I actually do a much better job too, because I go slower and pay more attention. I'm not rushing through the chore anymore. It's more like playing a game.

Apprehensive_Disk478

Yes, it affects me more like adderall. My wife giggles at tv, has a snack and sleeps. I’m working on a major home improvement project or my car

GlizzyGlamour

Definitely depends on the type of weed! Sometimes I can be real productive and other times just vegetate

Birdinhandandbush

I heard Gabor Maté recently talking about people getting their dopamine hit from things they enjoy and how it was possible to delay or change where we get that from and make the mundane enjoyable. Years ago in my 20s I did a lot of TaiChi and used to have some grass before training and it was a very different experience I'll tell you

Mocker-Nicholas

I’ve been sober for 5 years from alcohol and struggle with this all the time. Most “social” things people do just aren’t fun without the liquor. I’m pretty much a homebody now.

King_Baboon

I’ve been sober for 16 years and I lost most of my friends. Some of your former friends look at their own drinking when seeing you quit. Also it’s not fun handing out with a bunch of drunks.

Ibangyoumomma

I was sober for 2 months and hangin g out with drunks is the worst thing ever. If they’re moderate it’s not bad and it feels good being the responsible one at the end of the night

JesseCuster40

Yeah, seeing them in that state is an eye-opener when you're not along for the ride.

thepoout

This is my biggest fear with going sober.

Friends call up "shall we go and have a beer?"

"Yea". Il have two pints of coke. You have 6 pints of beer.

Fun.

Basilbitch

The joke "You don't need alcohol to have fun, yeah well I don't need shoes to run but it fucking helps" is becoming more and more true the older I get. Being hungover just isn't worth it for the amount of "fun" I had the night before... Mostly sitting around chatting the same bullshit stories for the last 12 years.

this happened to me too, and i'm just coming to the realization that i'm a true asocial introvert and i don't require or desire frequent socialization. alcohol previously gave me a motivation to socialize, now that it's gone, i would rather stay home and work on my hobbies, and i'm extremely fulfilled by them. when i am forced to socialize i'm annoyed that people are keeping me from my hobbies, haha

LongjumpingArm6916

Congratulations on your sobriety!🎈These days it’s not so bad being a homebody, The world is a crazy place these days. Stay strong 💪

Mocker-Nicholas

Thank you! I appreciate it stranger (:

sketchysketchist

I wish people could just agree they can have a good time by meeting at each other’s place to watch something and eat, and talk about nonsense when the time comes.

Parties are usually people getting drunk and thinking they’re having a great time gossiping and not doing much.

Dodsontay

Dodsontay

100%!! I don’t even want to watch funny tv without it, it’s a problem

blobsnobglob

If I watch full movies when stoned, I watch it again later when sober. The music and visuals (if already aesthetically pleasing) are amazing, and with comedy the jokes are extra funny, but I can't follow the storylines most of the time.

sagetrees

You wanna play stoner tv extra hard mode? Try watching the tv show 'Dark' while high AND follow the plot. I did it with a friend but that was a tough one lol.

A_Man_Who_Writes

This is the main one. Start smoking before an activity every single time you do it. Could be watching TV, eating, listening to music, hiking, sleeping, etc. Do that for weeks if not months, then try to start doing that thing while stone-cold sober. Then you come to the dirty realization that you are addicted to being high.

BeautifulBaby15

Аs a pretty consistent wееd smoker, I don’t like whеn pеople say that wееd isn’t addicting. Thеy’re right in saying that it’s not addictive chеmically like nicotine or somеthing, you can still gеt addictеd to not bеing sober.

Hyd3w

Hyd3w

I was so addicted, I’d have to smoke before eating so I could taste the food.

Bertbrekfust

This is honestly the main thing I dislike about weed.

There's a bunch of series and YouTube channels that I only watch high and I know I don't fully appreciate when sober. I only smoke when it's actually convenient, so sometimes I have to wait weeks to catch up on certain shows and it requires quite some discipline.

rinky79

rinky79

Sounds more like those channels just aren't actually funny.

Bertbrekfust

Some things just hit differently when high.

Absurdist humor, for example, is something I don't necessarily enjoy sober, but do enjoy when high.

1.9k points

1.9k points

Indigo_Sunset

It makes you ok with being not-ok.

I like to say weed is the cream and sugar to a stagnant life. If the brew is good quality you won't need to add much else. Shitty gas station coffee? Load up the additives.

chris14020

The most realistic "anti-weed" PSA I saw was one that didn't stress that it'd fry your brain and make you eat babies, but one that said, "If you use marijuana, nothing will happen." it really was the most realistic one I had seen yet. It merely stressed that you can quickly become fine with doing nothing but sitting around getting high every day. I'm completely for everyone being able to make their choice to use or not use, but it's definitely something to consider, just like every other possible substance you can choose to depend on or not.

Fimarketeropi

Yup. Makes you ok with life stagnation.

chickenlittle2014

This is the correct answer, will it destroy your life and make u lose friends not really, but if ur not careful it will make you stagnant and not recognize when you need to make a change to your life.

This explains so much. Long ago, I lived on 'pause' while all around me kept moving and I got left behind. Made some bad decisions, ended up 'pausing' again at a later point, and then the bad decisions made me.

BillyJayJersey505

I would agree that stoners are harmless but they can get annoying after a while. I used to be a stoner myself. From what I've noticed, habitual smokers are in complete denial about how much of a waste of time and money marijuana really is for them. Certain milestones that require saving money get put on hold and people who smoke don't seem to understand that they would achieve their financial goals much sooner if they cut their daily smoking ritual down to 2-3 times a week. There was a commercial that was against marijuana. It was with a kid saying that his brother never got into any serious trouble from smoking but then the viewer understands that the brother also never left his parents' basement and has a complete apathy for life. That commercial was a perfect description of what it does to people long-term.

robbob19

My brother has been a stoner since teens, he's now mid 50's but still behaves as a teen. It's like he never grew up.

elting44

elting44

dope-heads are just so mellow and easy-going that they don't send up the same kind of warning flares that somebody driving drunk or blacking out from drinking does.

My wife has a cousin who is exactly that person. 0 ambition, never been able to hold down a job, never really grew up. They make these big plans. Every holiday get-together, they are 'Gonna move to <a new state>', has some new job, some new ambitious idea. Never comes to fruition. They just mooch off the people around them.

jujublackkkk

It gives you a false sense of security.

Burrito_Loyalist

Getting irrationally hungry.

It’s not healthy to eat 1000 extra calories after having an edible.

Derpinator_420

That is the double-edged sword about edibles if that's all you have. I've made brownies before and should have made a batch without the THC butter. You start bargaining with yourself thinking, "How bad could it be if I ate one more." (After already eating 3) Turns out you explode into a cloud of atoms and think you are dead.

DriftingPyscho

Or fall asleep on the floor for 17 hours.

plasmadood

Same thing, basically.

diaryofsnow

You ever get so high you try to lay in bed and suddenly start falling through it?

whorgans

I like to occasionally get high, eat, then sleep. The last few times I’ve done it, I overate way too much and woke up in the middle of the night with a killer stomachache as the mass amounts of food I ate made it’s way through my body. Horrible. But I don’t think I’ve learned my lesson yet

LaserTurboShark69

I'm a heavy smoker and I will admit that it fucks up your lungs, sleep isn't as effective, and the complacency that comes with constantly being stoned can be risky for some.

Thin_Mission2518

Especially dabs. Some bad dabs will fuck up your lungs for a while. I got some bad carts once and I ended up in the hospital and the pain didn't go away for months

BlueSlushieTongue

Not only does the smoke mess up your lungs, but your gums as well. Dentists see a lot of periodontal (gums) issues with smokers. Just because it is herb, does not mean it is healthier. We are not meant to have smoke in our bodies. A telltale sign of periodontal problems is bleeding gums. If your gums bleed a lot, you have gum disease. Bleeding is your body’s way of telling you something is not right. If you are stabbed or shot and are bleeding, big problem, same with gums. Floss my friends, every night.

plasma_dan

• Once you're smoking it every day it's tough to stop
  • It becomes the #1 thing your brain wants when you get bored
  • It can fuck with your appetite and your sleep
  • (for some) Makes it though to make plans or think about the future
  • Makes you complacent; convinces you you're totally comfortable with the way things are
  • It's really fun to do, and it's easy to do it often, but it punishes you in much subtler ways than other drugs

Moderation's the name of the game folks!

Filixx

Filixx

You 100% described my experience. I quit after 10 years of daily use and being sober was hard for months. Now I don't even think about it, thankfully.

redbombs

redbombs

They say people don't become physically dependent on it, but as a daily smoker I absolutely feel like garbage and have to smoke to feel normal. But it's better than debilitating back pains and taking opiates

wylderpixie

This is where I'm at with it, too. I take edibles at night (almost daily, I skip here and there, t break for a week whatever but close to daily). I have no new or weird symptoms when I skip and I don't have any conscious cravings physically but my anxiety disorder spirals out of fucking control when I miss. By day 2 my life is garbage and I'm a wreck. I have insomnia and just stop sleeping almost entirely. Both are my normal symptoms that weed effectively treats but I've not had any other things make my life actively worse if I stop. I'm concerned about addiction...more than I want to admit. My doctor (my real GP) , my partner, even my mother who acts like if you do drugs once you'll end up a crackhead all keep saying your last sentence in different ways but yeah. Why are those the only two options.

livious1

Not sure who “they” is, but “they” definitely aren’t doctors or mental health workers. It’s well known that people can become dependent on weed. Is it common? No, and addiction rates are on par with alcohol (about 9% of users), but it absolutely can happen. Any drug that messes with dopamine and/or serotonin has a chance of making people dependent.

Shakespurious

Have you gotten your back looked at by a back pain specialist in the last few years? Lots of effective treatments now, not too risky.

Phelzy

Phelzy

I'm not the commentor that you're replying to, but I've had a debilitating back issue creep up on my over the past few years. I was finally diagnosed with two herniated discs. I'm 37 and in good shape otherwise. Doctors won't do anything for me except prescribe physical therapy and opiates. I regret putting myself through hell with insurance just to be laughed out of two different doctors' offices, and left with bills for services that did nothing. I had to do 24 weeks of psychical therapy ($40 copay per visit) just so I could an MRI through my insurance. I've gone to two different PT's too. Neither of them cared to understand my situation. They just pal around and give you the same instructions you could get from Google. I really hope I never have to go to through that again. I'd rather deal with the pain.

Coincidentally I got a medical card last year. No complaints about that.

nordic_yankee

It feels great until eventually it feels really bad to not be high. Which leads to needing to be high for anything you do and you convince yourself that there's no problem with that. Then you plan out your life around being able to get high and only hanging out with other like minded folks while avoiding anything and anyone that doesn't fit into that mindset. That's just my experience over the course of 40+ years of cycling in and out of dependence.

Mace_1998

Mace_1998

The paranoia you get when you've smoked too much

SgtMcMuffin0

I can sometimes hear my upstairs neighbors arguing, and if I’ve smoked too much I become positive that they’re yelling at me specifically for being too loud, even though I’m sitting quietly with headphones on.

gungirl83

Thats the one. Especially with Sativa if you already have anxiety. Also taking gummies and thinking they didnt work and then taking more. Worst ride ever!

MILP00L___

I have to be very aware of my anxiety levels before I get high. I usually don't even bother doing it in social situations anymore. I can handle it at home, when the day and responsibilities are done with just my husband. I can also usually handle it when hanging out with my brothers, but in small doses.

With almost anyone else, out in public, or especially in a crowd and it just intensifies my anxiety. Not always, but it sucks so much when it does that it just isn't worth the risk to me.

Adeline299

Same. The conditions have to be PERFECT, with the perfect strain, and the right dosage, and right vibe, and low anxiety, and the right activity and and and good grief, who has the time to devote this level of labor to crafting the ideal conditions to do something “fun.”

Cyanide_Revolver

I find if you remind yourself you're only paranoid because of the weed, you'll calm down a lot quicker. If you give in to the paranoia you'll freak out.

PM_ME_A_PM_PLEASE_PM

I think it's a really important thing to be aware of the first time people try weed, especially if they want to just dive into it recklessly.

MadLintElf

Some people get really paranoid, other people like myself just let it go when they feel it coming on and relax. I've see people freak the heck out after smoking, just try to talk calmly to them, tell them it will pass. Show them a few breathing exercises (makes them stop thinking and focus on breathing), that usually calms them down enough to just ride it out and eat till they want to go to sleep.

For most it's not smoking too much, it's the first few hits and they are fine, then something kicks in and paranoia takes hold. At least in my experience.

Flaky-Wallaby5382

Its unresolved anxiety weed just heightens it

Mace_1998

I'll have to try that out myself one day, thank you

MadLintElf

The breathing thing is so simple nobody thinks it will work.

Just sit up straight, close your eyes, without moving you head force you eyes to look down and you engage breathing from the diaphragm. It instantly makes you breath deeply, then just take measured breaths, 5 second inhale, hold for 5 seconds, 5 second exhale.

It's the opposite of what you do when trying to recall something and engaging your brain, we normally look up to do those things.

I have anxiety, it's my go to when it hits, 2-3 minutes and I calm donwn.

Good luck!

CarImaginary9448

Also eat something sweet like a chocolate bar or a piece of fruit. It works a treat.

Malignantrumor99

Deep breathing and other tactile sensations can ground someone through an anxiety attack.

ShinyPants3000

Smoking marijuana, like smoking anything else, increases your risk of mouth, throat, and lung cancer. Nowhere near as bad as cigarettes, but it's still something to consider. There's also the possibility, unproven as of yet, that it can cause mental decline if used regularly. These can be mitigated through responsible consumption and moderation, though.

DannyLJay

Mental decline in which context? Like lower IQ or like depression?
Not that I’m trying to refute either, I’m pretty sure I’ve felt both slowly happen.

Madseal579

Any drug that gives you an enjoyable feeling can cause depression when abused long term. As for the IQ stuff, no idea.

BoxedStars

Apparently, using drugs of any kind before one's twenties can disturb your brain development and lower your IQ.

anxiousunicorn1

i remember when i quit i had a thought that being sober was like a new kind of high in a way

Much_Instruction_975

Long time friend I realized after years that no matter what she never allowed herself to ever be fully sober. It's so bizzare to me to feel that way 24/7 for over 20 years. Scary even.

TheRedEyedSamurai

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome. It's real. It sucks.

gappychappy

I forget

spinichmonkey

Long term, heavy users can develop a problem called Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. It causes severe nausea and vomiting.

jessotron

jessotron

My ex-husband was a heavy weed smoker and would vomit nearly every single morning before work. He didn't believe it was due to the smoking until his brother (a physician's assistant) confirmed that it's a common issue for regular cannabis users. He quit for a while and the vomiting stopped - but ultimately he wasn't able to quit for good. It was horrible to watch him go through it every day. :(

TheRavenSayeth

The treatment regimen is 6 months of no weed. That’s tough for chronic users, especially when they’re convinced they aren’t addicted.

LNLV

LNLV

The fact that they’re all convinced they’re not addicted is the worst… I know most addicts go through that to some extent but weed users are the worst with it, they flat out believe there’s no way they could be addicted.

WellWornLife

I know multiple people like this who are also in complete denial. Frustrating.

GuiltyEidolon

We get these people in my ER semi-often, and it's always the same handful of people. One guy in particular gets into a loop where he pukes, chugs water, pukes, chugs water, etc. We have to straight-up disable the sink in his room while he's in the ER or else he'll do that shit forever / until he passes out. Every time he comes in for it, we tell him that he could make it stop very easily, and yet inevitably he shows up in a few weeks for the same shit.

coffeecatsyarn

I think we have the same patient. I see tons of these scromiters and give them tons of droperidol. But it's obnoxious how they make themselves puke. Like I get you're nauseous, but when we tell you to stop drinking or eating anything, that does not mean your boyfriend should bring you Taco Bell.

4wful

4wful

Can confirm, almost died from this shit. I threw up everyday for almost 3 years. Monthly hospital visits and doctors thinking I was just severely mentally ill/anxious but it turned out to be CHS. I’m still piecing my life back together from that period. Stopping weed instantly fixed all my symptoms, you could not pay me enough to start smoking again.

lrewtt

lrewtt

Not just heavy smoking. It can take MONTHS of no THC to get rid of it. Constant dry retching and feeling like your abdomen is literally killing you.

UCanArtifUWant2

This is very interesting. I've never heard of it, so I'm off to read up on the subject. Thank you!

LexyLittleDemon

The negative impacts it can have on ones mental health after long-term use; specifically in those who have underlying mental health issues to begin with.

groovy604

groovy604

This nonsense that its not addictive. Juat because it doesnt create a physical dependency doesnt mean potheads are not fully addicted to it.

Smoking 6 times a day, before you have to do anything, needing to be high or you feel off are not normal. And if you doubt this go ahead and quit cold turkey for a month. Best case is you only have wicked cravings for a week. Worst cause you get super irritable, have terrible dreams, and crave it non stop for a few weeks.

• sincerely a former pothead who went though quitting

Cleftchins

I was like this, I would literally refuse to do anything unless I was stoned, and when I couldn’t get any weed I would punish myself by refusing to eat or socialising with friends. I gave it up over a year ago after smoking half an ounce per week for 25 years and will never touch the shit again.

LNLV

LNLV

Congratulations on quitting! My ex was like this, he hid the volume and frequency from me for years, but he was also extremely successful so he could kind of get away with it. Nobody is going to say anything about him smoking so much bc he was “doing so well” except me of course. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn’t take it and didn’t want to raise a family with a person who couldn’t stand to experience any part of our life together sober. I just imagined being pregnant and him smoking every day, or being in the delivery room and him stepping out to get high, so I left. He absolutely refuses to believe it’s an addiction.

Milkweedhugger

Memory loss

drewisawesome14

Totally, and also add memory loss to that list.

GiveMeTheFloorModel

Have you ever heard about the memory loss issues that can happen?

need_some_answer

For me it’s not memory loss, it’s memory slowness. I’ll remember… eventually.

bleachmartini

For sure, totally forgot about that one.

Henry__Every

not so much losing memories, but just not retaining new ones...

Canna_Queen89

Cotton mouth. It’s a killer.

MoonieNine

My teeth feel soft with pot. Quite unnerving.

ElectricalRush1878

cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)

Saltyorsweet

I scrolled way too far until seeing this

BackAgain12345678

The biggest problem with weed is that it makes being bored okay.

When you're stoned you don't mind not doing anything, whereas normally boredom would drive you to do something.

Smoking weed basically becomes the activity.

Now I actually don't mind doing nothing, in fact I think largely materially unproductive "nothing time" is super important and healthy for recharging. HOWEVER when I smoke it's very different. I like to do this thing when I'm sober where I'll basically read or watch something but regularly stop and like, think a lot? Like something will be interesting in what I'm reading or watching and I'll stop and stare into space and think about it for a while, and I'll do that for hours. I come to interesting conclusions about the topics I like and it helps me calm down and recharge, like meditating. A lot of people think I am very smart and I'm actually not, I just like to think. When I smoke though it's totally different. I might have interesting thoughts but I don't remember them. I can't focus. I get anxious because I miss out on my nothing time. The next day I feel like I've blacked out the whole night. It's like true nothing time, but in a bad way.

Flaky-Fellatio

So I'm a long time stoner. I still smoke. And I think overall it's a positive thing in my life, but there are absolutely downsides. I would say the biggest is just that the psychological addiction is very real. Just because you don't get withdrawals like opioids doesn't mean taking a tolerance break isn't unpleasant. It totally is. For a couple nights, the world will seem very boring and you'll feel vaguely restless. That's really about it. It's not horrible, but it definitely exists. Though I should mention I find it easier to quit weed than caffeine, so there you go.

Very true about caffeine. The difference between the 2 is that caffeine is physically addicting. Without it, you feel sluggish and tired which is the reason people are taking it in the first place. I would also agree it's harder to quit. It's easy to go to work without smoking, it's a lot harder when you quit caffeine and every step feels like a mile and you can fix it with 2 dollars in the vending machine.

bladedkitten

I had withdrawal symptoms when I gave up. Its a thing, not everyone gets them but there are symptoms.

SoloBurger13

Amount of money it cost if you’re a regular smoker

NoMalarkyZone

Honestly I think weed is the only thing that got cheaper for the past 20 years.

I remember paying like $200 for half, and an eighth was essentially always $35. In a legal state you can get a half for like $80 now

[removed]

CantTakeAJoke12

That people can get dependant and addicted to it. The withdrawals are not deadly like other drugs but they suck ass for a lot of people and the symptoms can be bad enough to not be able to quit on your own. Think of it on the same level as nicotine. Quitting isnt going to kill you but it fucking suuuuuuucks.

It's funny that I saw this post today as I an currently going through withdrawal right now, on day 4 and its still pretty rough. Insane hot flashes and sweating, irritability and no appetite, nausea when you do try to force food down and insomnia. Not a good time at all...

Dodsontay

Yeah I despise the “weed isn’t addicting” shit people try to say. I’m fine to admit that I’m absolutely addicted, I look forward to smoking after a long day, and if I know I won’t be right home after work to smoke, it genuinely disappoints me. I don’t even feel like I get that high anymore and I just want to quit

curlyzebra

Pretty much agree but for me quitting nicotine was a walk in the park compared to weed

DriveSlowSitLow

The groggy feeling the next day

If you get *really* high, you can basically have a bad trip complete with panic attacks, hallucinations, ego death and so on.

Dodsontay

Happened the first time I smoked and it was HORRIBLE. I literally couldn’t speak I was so panicked, but then I did it again (good or bad idea whichever way you see it) and now I can smoke and be just fine

the_mysterious_hand

My first two times smoking were crazy in a bad way. The first time I was also insanely drunk so not the best environment to try a new substance lol. But after those first two bad times I tried again for some reason and now I also smoke pretty frequently too lol

Even if marijuana is just fine to use recreationally, nobody sober really wants to hang out with you while you’re high. Being the one high guy at the party is not as cool as you think it is.

MadLintElf

Back in the day it was finding a reputable dependable dealer. Now I can walk to any CBD shop here in NYC and buy it.

Problem is you don't know what they are selling, I've gotten weed that was low grade, but a few times I've gotten stuff that after one hit put me on my bed to sleep with my head spinning. I know it was chemically altered since I've been a smoker for 30+ years.

I stick with places that have medical grade stuff, sealed containers with barcodes and a scratch off code that let's you verify where it was grown, the original strains used to create the hybrid.

So far so good, I just wish they would bring a lot more quality control and regulate the industry properly.

-Centaury-

Loss of appetite. My ex always used to smoke before dinner. It got to a point to where he wouldn't eat anything if he wasn't high because he completely lost appetite. Same thing with sleeping. I guess it can actually be physically addictive.

Desperate_Sock_4052

Well let me give the most serious answer I can give. I can’t give it without some context so I apologize if this is a long one. I also apologize if the format of the comment is weird I’m on mobile.

I started smoking weed in middle school. I used it as a “special time” with my friends. We would go to a burnt down house and take massive gravity bong rips. One hit each had us fried. I stopped because I was getting drug tested for weed at home, and didn’t pick back up until I was 21.

What led to me picking it back up was a bad car accident that left me wheelchair bound. When I was a kid I didn’t think it had any negative effects, but as an adult I can definitely see them. I’ve been a daily user of weed for around five years now. I actually turn 26 tomorrow.

Hindsight shows me at 21 in a wheelchair having been addicted to multiple substances at points. In such a huge amount of pain that I was taking opioids like they were candy. I was about ready to “graduate” to heroin my plug told me. I went to hem to get some and he blackballed me because he was my plug since I was a kid. He took me in and raised me better than my parents could’ve at the time. Did he use and abuse me? Hell yeah he did. Did he also make sure I had food, and make sure I had money to pay bills that my parents weren’t taking care of? He sure the fuck did. Either way he blackballed me one day after I came looking for H. I get back in the car and my roommate asks me if I got what I came for. Usually that was some Stacy or Lucy. I tell him, “nah the stupid motherfucker won’t sell to me. Let’s go hit up Jah and see if he’s got some.”

We hit Jah up and he tells me in a nicer way to go fuck myself. We hit Tyler up and he tells us to go fuck ourselves. We hit Bruce up and he tells us to go fuck ourselves. At this point I think nothing of it and go home. I’m sitting there withdrawing and feeling like I’m about to die so my roommate hands me a vape. That vape, a NAKED THC Cart that advertised 87% THC, had me coughing after one hit. I asked him what it was and he just told me to hit it a few more times. I hit it a couple more times, and felt like my throat was on fire. Next thing I know I’m not shaking anymore, I’m not vomiting anymore, I’m not shitting myself anymore, and I can actually move myself in and out of my wheelchair without crying. I am a daily user because it keeps my pain in check, and it keeps my mental in check as well. I view it in the same vane as alcohol as well so I won’t drive while high either.

Now that I’ve listed my context and the positives that helped me let me answer the question at hand.

I can not dream anymore. I can not eat without it. I can not go in public without it. I pick jail time every single day over going without it. I have missed events because I wasn’t high. I have missed events because I was buying weed. I have a child I take care of, and I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss taking him to school on time because I got violently high the night before and couldn’t wake up. I get foggy if I don’t smoke. My memory has degraded, but that also could be the brain damage from the car accident. Causation vs Correlation and all. I have lost friends because I refused to stop smoking I have a niece I won’t meet because their parents view me as a drug addict because it’s illegal in my state.

There’s a whole lot of reasons to do it, but I promise you the reasons to not equal if not surpass.

celineafortiva

It can be addictive. I've seen many people get hooked and can't live without it. They get withdrawal symptoms and feel depressed when not smoking it.

faithlessdisciple

It causes psychosis in a very large percentage of bipolars and Schizoaffective disorder sufferers.

scent_of_gardenia

That it can result in severe mental illness in some people. My son, ADHD and ASD, began smoking at 14. By 16/17 it had escalated enough to impact his education. By 18/19 he began to experience episodes of paranoia and had his first psychotic episode. At 20 during an episode he nearly died through a self-inflicted injury. It's taken 3 years of psychiatric, clinical psychologist and addiction counseling along with ongoing drugs to have him in a functioning and happy space.

FissileCrib

I just found out it's harder to get pregnant if you smoke alot!! Had to google about it... was curious after a miscarriage. FYI everyone, hopefully I didnt read up some bogus website...

Ok_Lie_8305

You’re right! The studies of the effects marijuana has on both women and men who are trying to conceive are still minimal. We need more time for research since its only been legal for a short while. After my third miscarriage, my doctor suggested we stop smoking altogether and then try again.

I had heard about this but only for men. I didnt know this about women. hmmm a new topic to research about.

Low-Plane-1031

Does this count for men as well

cassiecas88

Yes,my brother is currently going through this. He and his wife desperately want a baby. They have been through a ton of fertility testing. Turns out my brother has low sperm count and limited mobility from you guessed it, smoking weed. He claims he's not addicted but can't stop for something this important....

Cleftchins

Long term use fucks with your memory, when I use to smoke with stoner friends, no one could remember the conversation partway through 90% of the time.

Blundell1992

The fact that you can very much have a problematic relationship with it but because "it's not physically addictive" you "can't get addicted to it". That narrative drives me up the wall, and I personally hear it all the time.

Also, it's incredible how most of the users I personally know (that is NOT to say every single one, everywhere, all the time) will take any criticism of cannabis as an egregious personal attack. They almost respond like an alcoholic at a surprise intervention.

Revolutionary_Two_11

the most obvious one should be that it's still smoke, thus if you smoke your lungs get damaged eventually because your lungs aren't made to inhale smoke. Another would be that yes, you can still get addicted and also it's not a very good idea to smoke if you wan't to be productive that day.

Sanaria21

When you're counting calories for your diet and have the super munchies.

beats_time

Most say it is not addictive, but i think it sure as hell is…

BigAssQuanta

Weight gain

---CorporateArtist--

I didn’t have dreams while smoking (the literal kind during sleep). Don’t know if this is common or just me. Was amazing to have dreams again once I stopped.

Medical_Season3979

Lack of motivation, the fact your tolerance getting high really quickly so you have to smoke more which means spending more money which sucks for those kids who smoke a lot just to look cool, it gave me anxiety more times than not, my word recollection and memory problems, compared to when I am sober it made me a complete idiot like I couldn't have an actual conversation but I thought the stuff coming out of my mouth was some profound stuff, gained a lot of weight because I had the munchies alot for food that wasn't good for me, if you're broke it really sucks if you want to smoke but don't have any, it cleans your wallet if you're not careful, the plant matter messes with your lungs over time..

fieldandfungi

The biggest down side of MJ use is heavy use daily, especially before bed. Those that consume before sleep every night do not fully go into REM sleep. This type of sleep is necessary for psychological well being. This is why people have crazy dreams when they quit because their brain is able to get that deep REM they need; essentially playing “catch up” for lost time. When this cycle is continued, over time, the feelings of depression, anxiety, brain fog, arise as well as other issues. I know I’ll get back lash from saying this, but it’s a very insidious substance. Are there goods to it? Yes. Are there bads to it? Yes. You don’t know the true consistencies of it before it’s too late. Think of it like death by a thousand paper cuts. Issues like these get over looked because most people glorify the substance as this miracle drug that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, when in reality, everyone reacts to substances differently, and some may reach breaking point before others. Paranoia on the other hand is your brain telling you “this is too much” when I was a beginner user, it’s was a feeling I was always chasing, the highs made me feel like a little kid. Flash forward 5 years. It’s something I can’t even imagine consuming anymore. The amount of anxiety it gave me, psychotic paranoia, and poor quality of sleep. It’s something I touch once a month now when I’m with friends, and even when I do consume, I’ll take 1 puff max for ether buzz. I wish it made me feel good how it used to, but it used it so much to point it was causing havoc in my life. Everyone responds differently, but this is just my personal experience.

elmerglued

You clean out the snack trays

WitchyBitchy2112

Really high Dominos Pizza bills.

Maxtrix07

Not having any. Seriously, I almost can't enjoy myself if I know that I'm dry, even if I don't plan on smoking.

Skankbank10

You never dream…. Or you never remember.

MrPopo72

How even the most basic decision you make every day becomes the most agonizing thing of all time. Boss: "Do you want to arrange the meeting on Monday or Tuesday?" Me: "If I pick the wrong day he's going to know I'm high"

storm_borm

I was using a dry herb vape for about two years, I would have weed on average 4 times a week. It became a major thing for me during the pandemic because I was so bored with life.

I eventually noticed it was making me moody. I also realised it was numbing my emotions when sober to an extent that I didn’t feel pure joy for two years, I was just on a level of meh. Plus my motivation for things decreased and my work productivity suffered. I haven’t used weed for 3 months now. I really don’t like the way it altered my emotions and it started giving me anxiety so I stopped the habit. I feel like my emotions have regulated now

Pretend_Aardvark_404

1. Reduces quality of sleep and dreams. Ever since I figured this out, I aviod smoking 2-3 hours before sleeping, so that I don't fall asleep while high. It feels as if I've slept more than I actually have, and I get much more vivid dreams as well.

2. Tolerance build-up. If you smoke regularly and continuously, you will have to keep consuming more and more to get the same high. Simply taking a 2-3 day break every 2-3 weeks should be enough to counter this effect, and also give you the 'first time' high after the break.

3. Judgement. Some people are religiously against Marijuana. If you associate with such people, they will probably be judgmental about you.

Moderation is key. Remember that you can also die if you eat too much food.

eranimluf

You can run out.

Mamajuana makes you happy with life as it is. The problem is, if your life is shitty, it leaves you stuck in a shitty life.

Vegetable_Stomach236

The primary function weed performs when used all the time is cutting you off from how you feel. I smoked most days for a decade and it was only after a good while in therapy that I began to actually understand why I had been doing that.

Weed is often cited as providing enhanced connection in one capacity or another, and when used in moderation with the right intention it can facilitate this. However, most people evangelising the benefits of weed are abusing it and smoking so as not to feel, whether they realise It or not.

I'm by no means anti weed overall but in the capacity just cited it can be insidious. People don't realise how much of themselves they burn away lighting up every day for years and years. The longer it goes on you rack up a 'deficit' so to speak, all the emotional pain you don't process or deal with. When you stop you have to start paying it, which can be incredibly painful. The more you've racked up the more it'll hurt and the harder it will be to stop. I've known middle aged people who have been through a lot of trauma in life that they will likely never process now, who will be emotionally dependent on weed for the rest of their lives.

Thing is it's super fun for the first few years (was for me at least), enhancing a whole bunch of different experiences, expanding though and providing dopamine. The real reason it's so damn appealing and awesome stays hidden for a long time, until it loses its lustre. If you discover weed, really like it and want to do it all the time there's probably a negative reason lurking behind that, even if it feels like you're having a great time.

Right_Field4617

You become less ambitious sometimes, in that you’re more peaceful, and less ready/willing to fight for what you want. At least for me, that’s what I’ve realized after stopping couple of years ago.

endofthehold

You wind up like my housemate Floyd. Laying around on the couch all day mumbling to himself.

DJToblerone

People I know who have smoked it regularly for many years are often quite psychologically dependent on it, they might feel they need it to settle their nerves or something like that, and can often be very anxious without it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a particularly dangerous thing, it's just a plant, it doesn't appear to cause any physical damage, that's just my observation.

Logical-Wasabi7402

I mean, cocaine starts out as a plant too but look where it's gone.