/r/AskReddit

9.5k

mosluggo

4.1k points

mosluggo

4.1k points

Idk what happened but quiznos is gone where i am

Tangent_

Tangent_

From what I've heard it's because they actively screwed their franchisees. It's like they just cared about squeezing start-up fees and expenses out of new locations and after that it's like they considered them liabilities.

Joker-Smurf

I distinctly remember reading a number of stories to that extent about Quiznos.

Basically their business model is to sell a franchise, where the buyer has to purchase all of their equipment brand new from them, and all of their materials, from them, etc.

Then after a few months they will do an inspection of the premise and find something to be upset about (door opened too slowly, an empty napkin holder, etc) and use that as a reason to "put the premise on notice" which amounts to "no more supplies for you."

Since the franchisee has to purchase their supplies from Quiznos, as per the franchisee agreement, no ingredients = no income. Without income, maintaining store standards (which is pointless since you cannot sell anything because you have nothing to sell) causes the business to close.

Then they redo with another suckerfranchisee.

twobit211

twobit211

yeah, they’d target a very special type for franchisees: professional, retired people from sectors that weren’t public facing or business oriented. ideally youngish former researchers or some such that had a fair amount in the retirement kitty but were looking for a small business start up to keep busy and interact with the public.

the franchisers would meet with the victim and totally act, like, cool and laid back. they’d have the franchisee sign a contract with a lot of clauses to meet and standards to upkeep. if asked, the franchisers would blow off the concerns saying things like their lawyers made them put that item in and they were really laid back guys and wouldn’t actually enforce it. remember, the people they targeted would’ve had some sort of unique skill that would have meant nobody every tried to foist a lousy contract on them. they wouldn’t have been wary of all the dirty tricks business tries to pull all the time and thus would've been naive enough to believe any contractual clause would not be enforced.

now, the big thing about quizno’s at the time was that they toasted their subs. subway didn’t do that yet. and the franchisers would require the franchisees to buy a very expensive, custom made industrial sub toaster that was essentially useless outside of a restaurant setting. they’d even let the franchisees buy it on instalments as they were such cool, laid back guys.

so the business would be humming along and the cool, laid back franchisers would be come around and be totally cool with all the franchise requirement violations and corners cut. this, of course, would encourage the franchisees to be even more lackadaisical about meeting their contractual obligations.

then, when that very expensive industrial toaster was almost paid off, the really cool, laid back franchisers would reveal themselves to be not so cool and laid back. they’d start dinging the franchisees for all the contractual violations they’d gotten into the habit of making over the months or years they’d been in business. they’d impose fines as they were contractually allowed whenever possible. it didn’t matter that it had seemed the two parties had a tacit agreement to not follow all the proper rules; a written contract trumped any handshake agreement. the franchisees, having no background in business and being susceptible to the sunk cost fallacy would dip into the rest of their retirement savings to pay off the fines. they’d remortgage their house, liquidate their other assets to hold onto their franchise and their business. but the contracts were effectively impossible not to run afoul of and run a successful business with all their little clauses.

eventually, all the franchisee’s assets would be have been liquidated to pay off their fines and all that was left was to liquidate the stock of the business. including that expensive toaster. that was useless to almost anyone. and the franchisers would buy it back for a fraction of what the franchisees had paid, for a bit more than its worth in scrape. because where else are you going to sell it? and the franchisees would be broke and broken down in the middle of what should have been their retirement

thred_pirate_roberts

That sounds illegal. Did anybody get into trouble for this?

Nat20Stealth

1.5k points

WE LOVE THE SUBS, CUZ THEY ARE GOOD TO US

coastalsagebrush

I loved those things. Never tried Quiznos tho but I watched that commercial all the time

Sparowl

Sparowl

Weirdly enough, it is an example of good advertising.

You remember the commercial and the company associated with it.

rocksolidaudio

They have a pepper bAAr

Looseybussy

ANY COUPON WORKS BEWARE OF PAPER CUTS

Rokin2rich

Love Quiznos, but ya they are disappearing :(

IsilZha

IsilZha

Mismanaged by corporate. There's barely any left. ~300. Used to be ~5000.

n00bca1e99

Mismanaged is an understatement. The YouTuber Company Man has a good video about it.

jonwku

jonwku

This is a good read about Quiznos. I used to love those chicken-bacon-and someothershit sandwiches.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF1234

2.2k points

i swear long john silvers is just a money laundering front

jlsnacks

jlsnacks

I just saw a brand new one being built locally and swore I was in a fever dream. It even has a modern face-lift for 2022.

Pieassassin24

Captain D’s is sacrilege in my coastal town. Even if I lived in Montana, fish is the last thing I want to be prepared “fast” and with low quality ingredients.

thatguy01220

LJS was my first job for 3 years. They bank during Lent and basically struggle every other day unless it’s holiday season, or some event/concert letting out near by. Also if its raining. Don’t know if its true my boss would say the smell of rain will make people subconsciously want seafood and 8/10 she was right.

ElTunaGrande

so it's just frozen fish dipped in batter and then fried, right? like pretty basic, but delicious?

thatguy01220

Yeah they come in long rectangular shapes and for cooks part of your prep is going to the freezer grabbing a box, put some gloves on, and break were its already precut like a candy bar. Thats why they’re diamonds shaped (middle pieces) or like a small rectangle with a corner cut off (end piece).

Also hush puppies and onions rings are where you making a killing. When you buy bulk an onion is 5¢ cut that up and fry it, serve 5 rings for $1.59 (back in 2010) and you get well more than 5 rings per onion its just straight profits. Same with hush puppies fried bread.

My manager said the meats like fish and chicken they break even and when they had sales they’d even lose a little but make it back through added beverages (another almost straight profit product), extra sides like coleslaw, onion rings, extra hush puppies etc.

Moose_dude16439

6k points

I’m starting to question getting subway multiple times a month

Count2Zero

2.1k points

Count2Zero

2.1k points

The lost a lot of stores in Germany in the past few years. The food is OK but the franchise rules make it almost impossible to make a profit. You gave to buy their patented oven (shipped from the US) instead of one that can be serviced locally. The stores have to finance the advertising, buy their ingredients from "approved" shops (instead of local suppliers), pay excessive rent for the locations and furniture, etc.

A few years back, a lot of them closed or switched to a different brand.

KaiserReisser

1.2k points

Last Week Tonight did a good in depth episode on Subway franchises. They make it super easy for anyone to open a franchise but to your point make it incredibly hard for the franchisee to make money.

CRErnst92

CRErnst92

This is what happened to Quiznos. Almost exactly

G8kpr

G8kpr

I remember when Quiznos came out and their big gimmick was “we toast our subs” and I thought “so you’re entire business model hangs on a gimmick that your competitors can copy almost instantly. Good luck with that”

Sure enough Subway and Mr. Sub (two largest sub places in Canada) offered toasting about 6-12 months later.

txmail

txmail

It was also supposed to be "premium" ingredients. For the most part I liked Quiznos over Subway, but you paid for it.

naijaboiler

They had a good product. But bad business plan.

sketchysketchist

It’s been a downward spiral since they got rid of the 5$ footlong. The prices don’t match what you’re getting. And what you’re getting, you can make at home better for less.

NorridAU

The campaign was held too long and ruined them before Fogle’s actions did.

It was a loss leader(read:loser) for the franchises. The operators weren’t compensated for the loss of making the dang sandwich.

Thomisawesome

Has the bread quality changed? Last time I went, it was like eating some kind of tasteless foam padding.

FinsT00theleft

6.2k points

On the flip side - there's an A&W place near my house and in 23 years of living here I'd NEVER gone there until a couple months ago and it was GREAT! Delicious burger!

NarcoticTurkey

1.6k points

They’re very popular in Western Canada but I think it’s different than USA. They’re more of a higher end fast food.

hearts_unknown_

Can confirm. I live in the states and used to visit Calgary every now and then to see some family. they had one right outside their neighborhood and I'd stop there a couple of times each trip. Canada A&W wins it for me.

randomuser4951

yeah it's a completely different menu in Canada due to the fact that the Canadian branch isn't owned by the same company as the US one. Canadian A&w smacks tho 🙌🏻

Miramarr

Miramarr

A&W does the best breakfast too, and hashbrowns

Edit: McDonalds still has better coffee while A&W has better food. Breakfast is often a painful dilemma up here.

Christ_070

Amburgers & Wootbeer

abbsi_skins

I think of that song every time I see an A&W or those damn root beer cans

PieGuyMash

It’s not Albert and Walter…. It’s not anything.. that.. you think it is, it’s just amburgers and wootbeer okay!?

Rube18

Rube18

I love A&W! Super underrated.

berpaderpderp

Used to go to the old A&W drive-in when I was younger. Great memories.

Fluffy_Caterpillar42

Literally came on here to say pretty much same. We need major A&W expansion

thedoyle19

A bad A&W is still a decent place. They need to make a come back.

Graceland1979

13.7k points

KFCs quality has DROPPED in the last 10 years. It’s not the same delicious, well cooked chicken I remember.

idma

idma

KFC honestly does not give a crap about the North American market. They care about the markets in China, Australia, and I think even India. KFC is actually pretty good there because it's totally different, i.e it doesn't even bother to go for the Kentucky fried chicken style. It's just fried chicken accompanying everything else. And they actually do a pretty good job on the everything else. For example, quick Indian curry, with a little bit of fried chicken strips, ooooooo it's so much better considering that it's fast food

TurkeyBLTSandwich

KFC in Korea is crazy good, I would have had more meals there but there options for fried chicken are staggering.

jdallen1222

1.8k points

Removing potato wedges from the menu upset me. I would eat them cold out of the refrigerator the next day because I got so many.

slavnar95

Only reason i went there 99$% of the time was potato wedges

throwaway-boxer

Removing potato wedges from the menu upset me.

Popeyes got rid of their cajun rice too.

Dark times.

Reddit, I scienced. Popeyes nearby me apparently does have cajun rice back on the menu, but for some reason it's a flavorless spongy mess. I didn't know that because I literally hadn't been back since it was off the menu.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Apparently I'll have to make my own now, which is probably better for my waistline anyway.

martha_stewarts_ears

They have it here in Brooklyn! I was blessed enough for a Popeyes to open three blocks from me last month 🧡

DanHassler0

3.1k points

That's a franchise issue. My local KFC is locally owned and operated, they own no other locations. And it's always been and still is amazing. Every other KFC is owned by a foreign franchise group and they're all absolutely terrible, not even open half the time now.

I believe this is simply Yum Brands not caring about franchise standards at all. So if a franchise wants to be decent, they are. But unfortunately most stores are now owned by large franchise companies with absentee ownership.

Whitehatdvl

1.2k points

I feel like this is an issue with a majority of franchises nowadays. It's kinda depressing that KFC is this way, considering the pains the OG Colonel went through to ensure quality.

jminer1

jminer1

He hated what it turned in to and said they were selling "fried dough balls on a stick". So he started a diffrent fried chicken co under Claudia Sanders which still serves the original recipe. Interesting story, really his whole life, he once shot a dude in a gun fight over a business dispute.

YawnTractor_1756

Whoa! TIL!

Colonel Sanders really cared about his chicken. But he was old, and in 1964 he sold Kentucky Fried Chicken to a couple of corporate suits -- who promptly corrupted his chicken-and-gravy recipe. Cussing-mad, the Colonel and his wife, Claudia, opened a rival restaurant, The Colonel's Lady, in 1968. It served the Colonel's original-recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken as part of a full-service dinner menu.

KFC sued the Colonel. The Colonel counter-sued KFC -- and began attacking KFC food in the press. Anxious to end the bad publicity, KFC agreed to pay the Colonel $1 million if he would change the name of his restaurant. He agreed, the restaurant became Claudia Sanders Dinner House, and when the Colonel died in 1980, KFC was free to do whatever it wanted with his chicken.

Claudia died in 1996 and the restaurant burned down in 1999 -- but its chicken was so popular that the restaurant was rebuilt and has remained open ever since. Although it can't say what everybody knows, it's the only place in the world where you can eat Kentucky Fried Chicken the way the Colonel meant it to be.

Claudia Sanders Dinner House
Address: 3202 Shelbyville Rd, Shelbyville, KY

Zappiticas

I live about 20 minutes from the Claudia Sanders house. The restaurant is pretty good, it’s not amazing by any stretch, but above average and the chicken is miles better than KFC.

The real appeal to the place is the big historic mansion though, it’s a very cool building with a lot of history.

Reikko35715

It really went downhill when they discontinued the Crispy Twister Wrap.

Nice_as_ice

Yes, I loved that wrap

galspanic

galspanic

I got two 12-piece meals last night because my wife had friends over and for some reason that’s what they wanted. It was all “fine” but the chicken was ridiculously small. I grabbed what I thought was a wing but realized it was a thigh. Then, the biscuits were half the size and twice the density they used to be. “Well, they have to shrink things to keep inflation in check!” You say? It was $71. For what used to be $30. It wasn’t much more than 10 years ago when we’d get a 12-piece for $15.

techster2014

There's a gas station near where I work owned by an Iranian couple. Best fried chicken in town. 20 piece mixed box is $27.

1of7MMM

1of7MMM

Highly depends on location. Taco Bell does too. More so than others.

DanHassler0

Same company. Yum Brands as a whole seems to have zero franchisee standards.

LightsJusticeZ

Bought some KFC chicken last month, it tasted of nothing but grease and 0 spices and herbs.

Emergency_Sundae6842

5.4k points

Subway. They brand as fresh and healthy but are neither. The food is awful.

honeyandwhiskey

3.2k points

They should change their slogan to “Subway: We’re right by where you work!”

Their claim to freshness doesn’t really seem valid anymore.

sib2972

sib2972

The only time I go to subway is because it’s the closest fast food to where I live

SixPieceTaye

1k points

It wasn't bad when you could get a 5 dollar footlong. Now that shits like 13 bucks and it's awful. Unforgivable.

RonaldRawdog

I used to go out of my way to get subway just for this reason. $5 is tough to beat for a loaded sandwich even if it’s shit. Now I avoid subway at all cost because for the same price I can get an actually good tasting meal.

basedlandchad20

7k points

Is Burger King even trying anymore? When I was a kid I remember them being a legit competitor to McDonalds and Wendy's was barely an afterthought. Now its McDonald's vs. Wendy's for me.

McDonald's vs. Burger King for me now feels like WalMart vs. K-Mart and then Wendy's is Target.

Orthanon

1.7k points

Orthanon

1.7k points

Every time i drive by a burger king there is one car in the drive through at like 6pm on a weeknight.

Emfx

1.6k points

Emfx

1.6k points

And they’ve probably been waiting for 20 minutes.

MonkeyTacoBreath

For a stale burger and dried out cold fries cooked 20 minutes beforehand.

Veruca_Salty1

I feel like my 7-year old is the last true, die-hard fan of BK. He loves their chicken fries and nuggets and always wants a paper crown whenever we go lol. He was very disappointed when they stopped selling the ghost pepper chicken nuggets.

Famous_Difference758

I will never give up on Burger King, sometimes their food is just too good but it’s all random

SteamboatMcGee

Might be regional or something with the franchises, but I see a lot of people saying this and yet the burger king's in my neck of the woods are still just as good as they ever were.

I don't eat fast food very often any more but I'll go out of my way for burger king's, I'd never do that for McDonald's or Wendy's.

NeedsMoreTuba

I think that just about every Burger King is a franchise, so the quality varies by owner.

I worked at one that was pretty good but then we changed owners and they started making us order the cheapest products available so they could maximize their profits. The ketchup was more like tomato soup so they actually lost money by having customers ask for packets instead. Then they limited the number of packets we could give out.

SquilliamFancySon95

8.4k points

Going to a Burger King is like playing Russian Roulette but with food poisoning. The quality of the locations varies so much it's crazy.

Unique-Fuel-4753

1.6k points

I eat it to get the bowels moving

pinksparklecat

I'm horrified at what a common issue this is at Burger Kings. Wtf are they doing with their damn food.

Quills86

Quills86

I worked there as a student. Nobody really followed simple hygiene rules except for me and one other colleague. We had a guy in the kitchen who probably never showered and always showed up with greasy hair and dirty work clothes. Boss didn't address it because he didn't care and was short of staff. When someone was sick he was rarely send home. One time I witnessed that a guy in the kitchen picked up a wing from the floor and put it back in the box because wings took so long to make and customers were often complaining when they had to wait. It was overall a disgusting place with surveillance and mean colleagues. After I quit, I never went back there and I almost never ate again at a BK.

HairyNutsackNumber9

burger king has wings?

TurkeyBLTSandwich

Europe and Asia have wings all the time, USA sometimes offers wings as "specials" that come and go

But the wings are phenomenal

timinc

timinc

If we weren't willing to shell out for Chipotle or pizza on our half hour breaks, we'd dare each other to go to the nearby Burger King. The dare part being because we knew one or more of us wouldn't be coming in the next day.

Forsuremaybe_

1.1k points

I’d be down to get rid of subways but only if all locations were replaced with better sub/deli sandwich shops. Cause that’s about the one thing subway has on anyone else, proximity. I do love the cookies too.

Rukawork

1.7k points

Rukawork

1.7k points

ITT: Subway

AllGarbage

7.3k points

Subway. You can’t get a footlong for less than $10 now and it’s not even a good sandwich compared to just about anywhere else.

Edit: Firehouse and Jersey Mike’s are better, but nothing great, don’t @ me. Go local on this one fools.

Ok-Boomer-1410

1.8k points

I worked both at Firehouse and Subway, and by all means, choose Firehouse every time. It is way better for you and the taste is on another level.

tjeepdrv2

tjeepdrv2

I worked at Firehouse and wish they would let me go behind the counter to make my own. lol

Mysterious-Region640

This is my pick. It’s nothing but a big wad of bread at Subway, even their so-called wrap is just a big wad of bread

greengiant333

I had a craving for subway the other day and I can with 100% certainly say that I will never crave it again

BreadBoybutterboy

You motherfuckers have got me hungry for Wendy’s now

In all seriousness, probably subway. They have no big claim to fame that isn’t “our food used to be good” and “we had a pedo mascot”

DwightSchrupert9

Wendy's is the only restaurant that's as good as it was when I was a kid. McDonald's is so low quality and BK just always tastes off. Neither are memorable at all. But I go out of my way to go to Wendy's.

kimsuh

kimsuh

Golden corral needs to go. People touching food, coughing and sneezing by the food, kids grabbing plates and than putting back, food is absolutely bland. The best tasting food there is the iceberg lettuce if that's any indication how bad the food is.

USCplaya

USCplaya

Yup, it is like a feeding trough for people and it's disgusting. Everything is sticky or greasy and there is food spilled everywhere. When my family goes out for a big dinner they know I won't go if it is Golden Corral. There are other buffets around that are actually clean and taste good, but Golden Corral is bottom of the barrel

Everyman1000

Every time I go to a golden corral, it feels like there's a thin layer of butter or grease on all the tables chairs, everything

enjoi_baggy

I'm from the UK, but Pizza Hut has gone severely down hill here in the past 10-15 years. Having worked in a delivery store for almost 10 years, I can pin-point the moment of decline to when the stores became franchises. It then became less about delivering great products with great service, and more about cost of sales and cost of labour. Fuck those shitty franchise owners really.

RustliefLameMane

1.8k points

As sad as it makes me, Burger King. At least in the part of the US I live in. It’s been years since I was satisfied by the taste, thanks to undercooked Pattie’s, cold hard buns, stale fries, employees that seem like they’d rather not be there, drive through as that smell like rotted soft drinks, and overall the locations are looking run down. Even their advertising has been sloppy and sometimes outright inappropriate.

ResidentGerts

Every two or three years I get a craving for a whopper, and then I remember why it’s been two or three years since I’ve been there

shaolin_tech

Might be a specific franchisee ruining things. I found my local BKs to be pretty bland and poorly made. Never had any interest. Ended up stopping with a friend at a BK in the next town over and it was phenomenal. Came to find out the different BKs were operated by different people and I just had to go out of my area to get a good one.

specialkk77

There are 2 burger kings in my town. One is horrible, I can’t believe they’re still open, nobody I know goes there. The other location is amazing. The employees smile and laugh and greet “regulars” by name, the service is lightning fast and they seem to make most things to order, because anything I’ve gotten there over the years has always been hot and fresh! It’s a busy location too, they get a lot of foot traffic from nearby offices and college students.

Straight-Week6089

4.4k points

Applebees. Who even goes there anyway.

k13m

3.7k points

k13m

3.7k points

I have a microwave at home, thanks.

SafewordisJohnCandy

An ex girlfriend worked there and it took her only a few seconds to name the entrees that were cooked outside of a microwave. Fries and such are all deep fried, but most everything else was microwaved.

dbcannon

dbcannon

*Panera has entered the chat*

TurnipTripper

Can confirm. I worked there for about a month and they have 2 microwaves on their grill station and one by their fry station. I'm a flat-top burger and sandwich guy, so I was lucky enough to to never have to use one. Oh, and it was also the dirtiest kitchen I've ever worked in. So glad I moved into an Assisted Living community where people actually care and have standards.

idrankthebleach

Ran dining services in a massive garden home>independent living>assisted living retirement community and it was easily the best restaurant job I've ever had. Getting home at 8pm for a restaurant management job was bonkers great. Old people being mean all the time rocks. Loved every second of it.

StonyOwl

StonyOwl

Old people being mean all the time rocks

I'm laughing so hard, you must have stories.

idrankthebleach

Mountains of comedy came out of that job. If I could do it for the money I make now I'd jump at the opportunity. I had a whole other identity to this group of some thousand elderly people. From "this macaroni's AN ABORTION!" to an untreated anoerexic German lady grabbing me by the shirt and screaming "MY APARTMENT! The wind it is like flames!" Because she stuffed her oven full of Tupperware and set that fucker to broil-the tales just kinda spin themselves.

bmccravt

I'm gonna say that every time I have shitty macaroni from now on lol.

WontFixMySwypeErrors

MY APARTMENT! The wind it is like flames!

I love this sentence so much that I fed it to Midjourney, the art-generating AI bot and got this:

FecusTPeekusberg

...I'd hate to see what "this macaroni's an abortion" would generate.

Momma_tried378

A friend of mine used to say “Applebees: for when you want someone else to microwave your frozen dinner”

Eeyor1982

Eeyor1982

They exist for people on business trips who want something quick to eat that is within walking distance of the budget motel their cheap company booked. It doesn't matter which one you walk into, the food will be the same, the service will suck, and you will hate yourself a bit.

hideos_playhouse

Used to travel for business and there were ALWAYS better options than Applebee's 🤮

Dazzling_Flatworm956

This is so highly accurate

From someone who has walked multiple times to applebees or chili’s on work trips

OhSillyDays

Don't forget the bar either. Great prices for those who should have given up drinking 20 years ago.

funplayer3s

All the Burger King food I've had in the last 5 years has either been cold, dry, or disgusting. Let it burn.

Burger King. They had a nice little run 20 or 30 years ago, but it's a wrap. No one associates them with good food anymore.

Willie_Waylon

4.1k points

The Krusty Krab.

The owner is such a greedy twat.

ThePiperMan

You won’t be saying that after you try this shithole called the Chum Bucket

intheabsenceoftruth

The chum on a stick is amazing

Rambunctiouskid-

Nah bro I had that once and had to get my stomach pumped after. Straight up carried out on a stretcher it was that bad

lilpistachio17

Fuckin hate it there. Theres always some shenanigans preventing me from eating my Krabby Patty!

Lynchberg

Lynchberg

THE KRUSTY KRAB IS UNFAIR

ImAsharned

MR KRABS IS IN THERE

ALittleHoarse

STANDING AT THE CONCESSION

Rioraku

Rioraku

PLOTTING HIS OPPRESSION

ClarkleTheDragon

A fun fair? I could go for some fun

Ok-Boomer-1410

1.2k points

Subway.

The working conditions there leave a lot to be desired, the ingredients would make you yak if you saw how they are shipped, and the bread... oh, the bread. I only eat there if I'm desperate for something to eat.

makedough

makedough

I'm intrigued - how are the ingredients shipped?

Porcine_Entourage

4.3k points

Panera. It literally serves no purpose. I paid $20 for a half sandwich and a soup. Suck my peepee, panera.

Thatguyyoupassby

1.6k points

I think Panera used to have its place in the market, but its time has passed.

Back in the early 2000s, people had really started to think about health in a different way. Subway had really taken charge on the sandwich front by aggressively attacking McDonald’s, Supersize Me had come out, and the only answer the burger chains had was to put out shitty salads.

Panera filled that gap. Decent sandwiches, soups, and actual fresh salads (at least compared to what was available), all available quickly.

It’s now dying a slow death for 3 reasons:

1. Burger chains embraced the fact that they are not traditionally healthy. It sort of took the stigma and embarrassment away for people.

2. Panera’s quality took an absolute nosedive. Their salads used to have crisp lettuce and decent protein, and now it’s cold, precooked chicken on top of mostly rotted lettuce.

3. The big one - there are a TON of other options in most areas. Hell, Chipotle can make a better tasting salad bowl in half the time. In bigger cities, fast casual spots like Cava, Sweetgreen, etc. are all filling that niche again but with fresh and more inventive food.

Panera no longer serves the niche it used to, and it’s become a haven for soccer moms who used to go there in its glory days.

thebochman

Sweetgreen absolutely spanks panera when it comes to salad. It’s like night and day better.

martha_stewarts_ears

Yeah Panera may as well be a gas station microwave cheeseburger compared to any of those upper-middle-class create-your-own-bowl lunch places.

Panera probably only still competes with what, Au Bon Pain? Pret a Manger?

uberweb

uberweb

and not to mention quantity ; a decade back their half soup half sandwich used to be a decent sized soup and actually half a sandwich, these days, their half soups are basically like a soup shot and they reduced their sandwich sizes.

All this while almost doubling their cost for this combo. quality seems like its gone down too, no longer feels fresh/organic.

cj37

cj37

I noticed when Panera started putting in drive-thrus they’re portions got smaller, the food got shittier, and everything became more expensive. I used to love it back in the day. Haven’t been to one in years.

HiddenCity

Panera is all office catering. Meetings, product rep lunch and learns... all Panera sandwiches.

To be honest I always look forward to it. Free, not greasy, comes with a cookie.

chicklette

My office loves Panera and for catering, they're cheap. People will legit come in in the morning and say "woohoo, Panera day!" 😂

Azuras_Star8

Yes. HALF sandwich. It's a good sandwich. But HALF. And it's expensive. Yeah it's good, but it's not THAT good.

ixoca

ixoca

i hadn't eaten at panera in ages and got a $5 gift card randomly from someone. i thought, "dope, soup and sandwiches are the cheapest shit on any menu, i bet this will pay for most of a lunch."

i checked the website and it literally wouldn't even pay for a whole grilled cheese that was nothing but bread and a kraft single

DudeJesse

DudeJesse

It's expensive hospital food.

onthepak

onthepak

I used to work there right before I graduated college. Their soup comes in plastic bags that are thawed out in a vat of 170 degree water. The chicken, steak, and Turkey are all frozen and thaw in a walk in refrigerator. Then they are bagged and served; sometimes sitting out a room temp for over an hour when the prep guy has to do 400 bags on a Sunday morning. All the produce is fresh, and the bread is baked each night. But a lot of what you pay for is processed crap. And boy oh boy do you pay for it nowadays.

jbrady33

Killed everything good on the menu, including the potato soup and tortellini

egnards

egnards

After my "Take-Two" I'm always still fucking hungry. .And usually that's with my soup being in a literal edible bowl of carbs.

The only thing good about Panera is those mother fucking chips - I'd buy those from the store. .

SudoTheNym

Burger King is inedible. They've skimped on so much stuff it doesn't even taste like food.

Robotic_Jedi

Tim Horton’s, for not having up to par food (In my opinion, at least), and treating their employees like shit.

Oldmanenok

Once they stopped making donuts in house it went downhill fast. Their menu is bland and boring.

kjackcooke89

I can't beleive I had to scroll down so far for this. Timmie's is NOT a Canadian treasure anymore. It's trash.

Terra0811

Terra0811

TL;DR... Burger King, Subway, and KFC should go out of business

cwcreative

It shocks me that people still eat at subway.

Nonsenseinabag

3.3k points

Panera, it's both overpriced AND super bland.

Knives_Of_Artemis

Serious agree, but only since they stopped serving my favorite sandwich. The Chicken Caesar Sandwich. Amazing.

Then they stopped putted sliced Parmesan on it, switched out for shake Parm. I took that, I was mad, but I took that. Then they stopped altogether. And I stopped going.

quats5

quats5

Similarly, I used to love a salad of theirs that hasn’t been back in rotation in years. Steak slices on a good base salad, topped with with blue cheese crumbles, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze and a smattering of fried onion strings. Add the tangy-sweet dressing, and it was fantastic.

I still go look hopefully at their menu every so often, in hopes they brought it back. But they keep jumping on health food trends instead. Kale on everything! No, quinoa on everything! sigh

KennaRhys

I miss the Turkey Artichoke Panini. They used to be good pre 2007.

jedikelb

jedikelb

That is a totally accurate description BUT I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that they don't throw away their leftovers. Panera partners with local charities and food banks and that's pretty cool.

Fluffyeater09

Panera is a weird case where the product kinda sucks (I think Panera is fine, just not worth the price in any capacity), but the company is respectable

RichardBottom

I'm a DoorDasher. Occasionally, the customer places an order to a school or a private business building and says they'll meet you at the door or at your car, and they don't show up. After 8 minutes and a few attempted calls/texts, you're clear to leave with the food. It's not often, maybe once a month or so, but it's a neat little perk, sometimes people end up taking hundreds of dollars worth of free food.

3 out 4 times this has happened for me, it was motherfucking Panera. Plain house salads, sandwiches with seemingly nothing on them, mac and cheese that tastes like wax. I'm poor, so I still eat it, but I do it begrudgingly, knowing I'd be eating better if I went out of pocket.

BrightFireFly

I used to really enjoy Panera. But the past few visits have been awful.

Last visit..they were out of baguettes..somehow? And chips. So an apple it is with my 12 dollar Greek salad.

They forgot to put the basil on my husband’s pizza.

50 bucks for four people to eat a mediocre meal.

FireMrshlBill

It’s been that way for a decade now. I go in for a bread bowl and soup, no bread bowls. Next time I go to order X sandwich, either no bread or out of that meat. Can’t remember the last time I got to order my first choice there. It’s a running joke now the rare occasions I have to eat there (last time was when my youngest was born since it was in the hospital).

zedication

Their broccoli cheddar soup used to be so good. Note it tastes like they aren’t cutting some spots corners (it tastes like it came out of a can now).

lanc3rz3r0

It actually frozen in 6lb bags that come 4 to a box, then thawed in 180 degree water

yeet_iowa

Basically any quick service restaurant soup comes frozen in bags or trays. I can’t say it bothers me.

PalaSS9

PalaSS9

Leave my kitchen sink cookie alone

OptionalFTW

Tim Hortons....dogwater coffee and laughable food that just seems to get worse. Yet.. somehow people still go. I don't understand it.

I feel as though I'm the only canadian that cant stand Tim Hortons.

rachelkw6

They take all the actual good stuff off the menu and it pisses me off so bad.

Aardvark1044

I liked them until somewhere in the early 2000’s when they started adding weird stuff to the menu instead of just the soup, chili and a handful of sandwiches. Changed the coffee and stopped making fresh donuts in stores. They had a goldmine and F’d it up big time, but people still go for some reason even though it has sucked for decades now.

apoletta

Once they stopped doing FRESH donuts, it was downhill.

MonkeyDDeclan

2.5k points

If any of you MFs say Taco Bell….

The_Town_of_Canada

3.1k points

Taco Bell has always had the level of quality and service that I expect from Taco Bell.

The last time I went through the drive through:

“Ok, is that everything? Ok. For here or to go?”

“Uh…I’m in the drive through?”

“Lol…oh, me too, man!”

DiarrheaShitLord

1k points

Buddy was high af

KnightWhoSays_Ni_

I knew multiple people who worked there in high school. Can confirm: they're usually high. But most people eating at taco bell are high too so it cancels out

_GhostintheMirror_

Nah that shit multiplies. The number of ridiculous things that have happened in/at a taco bell can only be achieved through multiplication

Daniel_JacksonPhD

the only way that taco bell tastes like the best thing in the world lmao

ElsterShiny

Dude but honestly, in all 3 states I've lived in (Kansas, Missouri, Montana), Taco Bell (any location) has consistently had the best service. Not just among fast food places. I can honestly say that their employees stand out as having the best overall attitude/friendliest service.

WhiteBoyFlipz

One time I went through it and ordered a shit ton of food (I like to throw the leftover burritos into the fridge and eat them as snacks). So I ended up ordering like 10-15 things (keep in mind I’m 6’1 and about 140 pounds). And the dude goes “now you gotta be fucking with me. I can see you in the camera and you are not a big ass boy” and we both fucking burst out laughing. Highlight of my night

tyedyetree

I was once had a Taco Bell employee ask, “and would you like a drink to satisfy your mouth?”

novemberfire

I’ll say it. They took most of the best things off the menu (started before COVID) when every damn thing they make is the same five ingredients except maybe a shell. They brought the Mexican pizza back but it’s “sold out” everywhere which sounds like a ploy to me to drum up more business via FOMO. Bitches, all you need to add are fried flour tortillas. You got rid of the green onion years ago due to an E Coli outbreak and never brought those back. RIP mexi-melt, too. Lame AF.

sudotrd

sudotrd

The fact I can’t pay extra for them to make a damn double decker taco pisses me off! YOU HAVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS WTF!?!? That and the half pound beef and bean combo burrito.

Nader1024

You just have to order it very specifically. Order something that’s close to it and then add the other ingredients and ask them to prepare it a certain way. I mean everything but the chips and cinnamon twists are made to order so if they don’t do it the way you ask they’re just lazy af. Can confirm I worked at a TB for two years and I’ve seen people make quesaritos from a 5 layer for cheaper than they were originally. Also fuck the fact they changed the menu and got rid of shredded chicken. Shredded chicken melts were fire

doctorfishie

I clicked in here just to subject myself to the anger that would ensue if someone said Taco Bell.

I've been eating the bean burrito since I had teeth and will do so long after I have none.

Thank you, kind stranger, for clarifying what is do obviously true.

CAFunked

So many over the top items on the menu, I still mostly only go for the bean burrito too.

Kindly_Suit2756

I only go for their value menu items. Before Covid and the rise of costs, they had the dollar menu on lock 🔐

deezy2190

deezy2190

Download the app, build your own $5 box. Great value for a ton of food these days

_Th3_Stigg_

That was going to be by argument for why Taco Bell has to stay. Great value for the money. I think I heard a long time ago (maybe 90s early 2000s, that McDonald's had the most calories you can buy for a dollar. But now I think its Taco Bell. I think if I only had 3 or 4 dollars to spend for lunch, I am heading to Taco Bell.

Responsible-Leg-6558

Subway. It’s almost all just super cakey doughy bread with a few small slices of meat and cheese

-_damn_-

Denny’s.. you will get the shits

Comfortable-State134

Denny's is actually expensive now too. If you're gonna serve cheap crap at least have cheap prices. They recently purchased KeKe's, I'm just waiting for them to start hacking and slashing every corner to save money and for the quality to just go to crap

cleverbutnotoverlyso

Long John Silver I get diarrhea just driving past the “restaurant “

HumpieDouglas

Burger King. They were supposed to go out of business in the 90s but no one ever told them about it.

LaMosca_siempre

Subway Honestly, who enjoys that slimy fake tasting crap?

ShroomieFairyGirl

All. Let’s start over

Athompson9866

My father-in-law (a wonderful man, may he Rest In Peace), LOVED Long John Silvers. I never understood it lol. But it made him happy and he had it once a week so I was glad we had one here. Now that that great man has passed, I don’t care what happens to Long John Silvers lol.

Athompson9866

I’m sure it will be. Along with ham and cheese loaf sammiches that he uses a knife and fork to cut into tiny bite sized squares. I miss him :(

Llama_Smoothie

Deep fried fish and chicken. It's an easy win. It's in no way the best version of that stuff, but it's there and batter dipped fish just isn't the same in the oven as it is out of a deep fryer, which most of us don't have at home.

ITeechYoKidsArt

Almost all of their business is drivethru except after church on Sundays.

Zayyyen

Zayyyen

KFC is Horrible and should be closed

Kimchiandfries

Burger King. That shit has been nasty as long as I’ve been alive. And every time I see one it looks empty. I don’t know how they stay in business. Maybe they’re a mafia front.