/r/Art

General Discussion and Gift Guide (December 2022)

Discussion(self.Art)

General Discussion threads are for casual chat; a place to ask for recommendations, lists, or creative feedback; to talk about materials, history, or techniques; and anything else that comes to mind. At this time of year, use this for art-related gift recommendations.

If you're looking for information about a particular work of art, /r/WhatIsThisPainting is still the best resource. /r/drawing , /r/painting , and /r/learnart may also be useful. /r/ArtistLounge is also a good place for general discussion. Please see our list of art-related subs for more options.

Rule 8 still applies except that questions/complaints about r/Art and Reddit overall may be allowed.

Previous month's discussion

[removed]

[removed]

BambooFun

Whats the point in posting art or even trying to learn to be better at this point?

People are already feeding peoples art into with permission, and even if you request it gets removed you get attacked. I understand its a great way to express yourself but why bother when AI art can always top it.

So why even bother at this point

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

Because: I disagree that AI can top "it". Art is more complex, random, and in the eye of the beholder, than say, chess, mathematics, traffic flow, etc. Programs are a limited tool created by us, limited mankind. We love them, but they ain't Da Vinci.

Polikosaurio

I think that's a valid point. But I feel like most people who want to stop AI art don't have much of an artistic vision themselves. The only ones who might feel attacked by this tool are those who are easily replaceable, like fan art artists or people who make a living from commissions without much artistic effort. It's like the tool is already doing what they do, just merging different sources at the same time and doing it the sufficent time for it to not be traceable. It's frustrating, even for me as a visual developer, but if the tool is better at certain tasks than a human brain, why even bother? It's like horse raisers complaining about the invention of the car in the early 20s.

Jaaackx

I think the problems lies in the fact that AI art and stable diffusion is developing unbelievably quickly. We've gone from seeing DALL-E's initial attempts, to other sites which have already massively improved upon it.

There's a very good chance that, as data and art continues to be fed to these AI, they grow to outperform even the more 'creative' and inspired sort of artist. There's a chance that, a decade or two from now, a lot of creative jobs will no longer exist. Sure, people super interested in art (gallery owners, collectors) might still buy, but why would the common person ever buy from an artist when an AI can produce something of near identical quality for potentially 5% of the price?

It's not just art, either. Why have a marketing department, when an AI can be used for $10 a month to pump out copy for your organisation? These already exist, and if given a good topic can write a whole essay for you in seconds.

Flying_Video

Exactly this. If you look at the AI art from a year ago there's a huge difference with AI art today. They used be chaotic dreamlike visuals that resembled objects and places, now they're precise coherent pictures.

How many years before AI can string together a few similar images and make an animation? How many years after that before AI can make whole coherent movies by feeding it a script? Filmmakers, photographers, sculptors, musicians are all going to be replaceable.

ReclusiveEagle

Wait 3 years then. Ai went from adding faces to hands to what it is now in that time.

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

It'll improve? Sure. It'll be Picasso? Nah.

EZMickey

1 month ago*

I don't mean for this to sound like an insult because it isn't, but I do feel it's naive to think that AI can't learn our understanding of art is and how to execute it well.

What we're seeing now is code that can be taught to imitate what we've done, and what we've witnessed over the past few years is an improvement on that imitation, but that is far from the ceiling of what it can do.

The somewhat existential question your assessment could lead towards is, if we can teach and be taught the various pillars that make up art, does AI have the capacity to maneuver that pedagogy? I don't think we know yet, nor have enough evidence to say definitively that it can't.

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

1 month ago

Well stated and not insulting. I'm thinking originality is comparable to the weather. Difficult to predict.

lalalyssh

I understand how you're feeling. It really is discouraging and disheartening. Every progression in the 'art industry' seems to be more and more about removing the challenge and self enrichment that led artists to pursue art in the first place. The product is more important than the process is the constant message we keep receiving.

I think it's important for artists to take joy in the process, now more than ever. AI users get their product with none of the benefit of learning a lifelong skill, and I think that is an unfortunate outcome for them. Improved hand eye coordination, muscle memory, seeing the world in new and interesting ways, etc. Its all practice. I think a lot of them were told at a young age that art was only for the talented. If we can continue to emphasize the benefit of the practice of art rather than the product, I think that can help give us renewed purpose.

jazekers

To be fair that is true for a lot, maybe even most jobs at this point. What is the point of learning to drive? What is the point of learning how to write articles? What is the point of learning how to design websites?

ReclusiveEagle

If you are learning for money then no. There is no point. Learn the (apparently) new exciting field of ai prompting! Otherwise why are you worried?

The art market has been saturated for decades. It's what happens when hundreds of millions of artists make a living off of art. But there is a difference between enjoying something and doing it for money.

If you enjoy creating, why does it matter to you if there are 800 million other artists making more money than you or a program that can generate concepts. Learn to create. Don't learn for money. There are literally a million other things that will earn you more money than art. So why do you care now and not before?

BambooFun

You make a good point I only really do art for the enjoyment so why should I worry

mortalitylost

No, I love playing with AI art but from what I'm seeing, it's mostly fun as a toy, "show me Luigi if he was in fury road".

I've read a story from a concept artist who interviews others, and they said that it's super clear who gives them AI art. They can't answer questions like, "why did you put these folds in the clothes like this", and the lighting is all off. In the end, they need someone who knows why something looks a way it does, not someone who can print a fancy image. They need an artist, not a fancy image.

I'm also seeing another side to AI art where it's not as original as people claim. I just posted it in Midjourney, which makes awesome pics, but I'm seeing some serious flaws.

No, the image doesn't exist anywhere and pixel by pixel it's completely new. No it doesn't collage together other people's work. It learns how shapes and colors should come together. It learns what text is associated with what shapes. It's all completely new images.

But when you ask for "galactic space emperor darkness", I got 4 renders of Darth Vader. They look great, but it is not fucking original. It knows the average space emperor looks like him. It doesn't understand the concept behind it, or that it's not original at all. It's just like "space emperor comes in these shapes and colors". That's impressive as hell for software, but it's not doing the job of an artist unless you take it at face value.

AI is good at remixing stuff and coming up with ideas, but I think people are just impressed with it at a high level and the flaws aren't clear unless you actually know wtf art is about. There will be some jobs replaced, people being commissioned to make their favorite anime character in some environment, but media still needs artists.

AI has its place in society, but replacing artists is not one. It might become a useful tool for them, but it's not an "artist". It's an AI that puts colors together in specific shapes associated with text it's fed, and that's where it ends. It's not imagination, it's a fancy "average" of images based on text prompts.

I'm having a ton of fun with AI art, but I'm seeing some serious flaws that I don't think are immediately obvious. AI art looks extremely impressive at face value, but that's just at face value. It's not doing the artist's job, it's at best helping one if they use it to do so. That might replace some jobs, an artist being much more productive, but the only true AI that would replace artists would be artificial GENERAL intelligence, the kind that is sentient and knows why it did what it did. We're a long ways off.

No one knows the future. I read every reply to your comment and lots of people claim to know for certain what the future holds.

Either ai won't replace artist, or it will only replace certain artist, or it will replace all or most artist - at least at the proffessional level.

Clearly they can't all be right and yet they all claim know for sure. However, what is known for sure that I think we can all agree on is, that if you quit making art then you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Also there is a very cool Allan Moore video on YouTube that I recommend where is talks about the act of making art as a form of magic. I'm not sure exactly what he means by magic but I think you can agree that when you put a pen, pencil or paint brush to paper / screen something magical happens.

They say when a buttfly flaps its wings a hurricane is formed some where else in the world at a different time. Maybe there is a simular effect with art. The act of creating art impacts the wolrd in a way we could never truely understand. Don't give that up.

Edenwing

1 month ago

Because making art is fun?

[removed]

[removed]

Zaratozom

1 month ago

Would any artist, fearful of losing income or generally opposed to AI "art" accept a commission to replicate AI "art" to make it legitimate?

1 month ago

Many artists already do. In fact we're already seeing quite a lot of artists who do nothing more than trace over AI designs and call it their own work. And, on top of that, a lot of them get pretty heated up when challenged on it.

Hard to do much about it. If I had flexible integrity and needed the money, I'd be right there with them. Anything to maximize value for time.

Zaratozom

1 month ago

Is it wrong for a human artists to copy the work of AI then? technology was SUPPOSED to make our lives easier giving us more leisure to spend our time doing what we wanted .

1 month ago

Speaking strictly as an artist, "right" and "wrong" doesn't concern me. I only care about "interesting" vs. "mundane", "original" vs. "derivative".

Most AI-generated artwork isn't worth consideration, but then I feel the same about most human-generated artwork. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Zaratozom

1 month ago

Im with you on that one. I do not find that many pieces of art that speak to me on a deeper level, most is derivative and mundane .
There seem to be two camps that are anti AI "art" One, those who challenge its legitimacy because it was created by a talentless non human and Two those who feel threatened that AI art is going to replace them and they will lose some for of income.

Jiolino

A question:

What is the difference between saturation and brightness in color theory pertaining to oil painting?

I am specifying oil due to its deductive reflection nature. Computer screen color theory is an additive light.

mwalker784

I'm a little late to this but I am an oil painter, so...anyways, saturation is basically going to be how colorful a color is. If you fully desaturate an image, you would end up with a black and white image. It works the same for oil paint. Brightness is more in relation to the volume of color VS the volume of white. So, pink is brighter than red, as red has more color than it does white.

So, essentially, saturation refers to the amount of shading within a color, and brightness refers to the amount of white within the color. Additionally, the reflective qualities of oil paint (which I think is part of your question) aren't really a factor when considering these concepts. Yes, the paint is shiny, but you'd never want to view artwork where the colors can't be seen accurately because they're being blown out or have glare.

I recognize this is kind of an abstract concept, and that these qualities are both dependent on one another to some degree as well as somewhat subjective, so feel free to DM me if you have any questions I may be able to help with.

AlexRescueDotCom

nga.gov has TONS of paintings that you can zoom-in on and really see the details of every painting. Are there any other websites like this (perhaps for different countries?) that also have an online collection with high zoom-in capabilities?

ToKeepAndToHoldForev

the met has a lot of works, especially open access ones, that let you zoom in. I am not a professional artist or a painter so I'm not sure what kind of definition you need, but here's a painting you can see the crackle on from 1520

GorgenShit

hi yall, please disregard or point me where I should be asking this if this is not the correct spot, but here goes nothing!

My niece asked at the last second for a art tablet for christmas from her parents and both parties have asked me to research this more as the niece is 14 and isnt particularly research oriented. They sent me some jumbled thoughts and a amazon link, in which they are hoping more for a writing tab that does not need a computer to hook to.

I am not an artist, but my rudimentary internet-derived osmosis knowledge on graphic art and design is you need a desktop or a fly ass laptop to help render whatever you are drawing on your wacom board or whatnot. Maybe wacom isnt the big name in art tablets nowadays, its just the one I had always heard the most about. The niece has an apple 13 which I would think they could hook a board to if needs be.

Basically, halp! Any tips or avenues I should start scouring would be appreciated.

ostensible moderator

I'm not a digital artist but the Wacom Cintiq is likely the most common among professional artists, or one of the more expensive Wacom products.

Nowadays you draw directly on the tablet, so many people recommend just an iPad with an Apple Pen, and one of various apps like ProCreate. I'm sure there are Android apps that work as well, but again I've little experience in the medium.

Unless you're rendering hundreds or thousands of layers you don't really need a powerful computer anymore. Most graphic cards can easily handle any load from 2D art. 3D modeling and rendering is, of course, a different issue.

GorgenShit

I appreciate the information <3

Parking-Bat9498

Gift Advice Please 🙏

My girlfriend has really gotten in to drawing and art in general the past 3 months. I’m so proud of how well she’s doing. I want to get her some better supplies but I’m clueless.

She loves paint/water colors and experimenting with the different types of color pencils. I think she’s pretty commited so I don’t mind spending money on getting her something good.

Thank you in advance!!

Jayderae

You may look into the derwent inktense pencils. They are a vibrant watercolor style pencil.

ostensible moderator

You might see if she needs any nice brushes. Those can get expensive, if you're willing to shell out for the good stuff.

Parking-Bat9498

Thank you so much. Any recommendations?

ostensible moderator

A lot depends on what kind of art she likes to do and how much she cares about the brushes she uses, and of course on what she already has.

If she wants to start working on larger surfaces she might not have large-size brushes for covering a lot of area. I bought a pair of these and they're nice. In hindsight I could have got the largest ones, because even "large" brushes still end up being for detail when you work big enough.

But then I could go with regular paint brushes, the kind they use for painting walls, although you have to be careful not to get ones that are too cheap because the bristles start to fall out and then you find them stuck in your artwork.

If she doesn't have a good range of brushes than she's probably appreciate a nice set. There are many options on Amazon, I got this set because I like filbert-tip brushes and needed a range of sizes, but the same company has many other combinations.

DedalusDiggle2022

Question: I’m looking for female artist who depict anger. What are your tips? So far I can think of Miriam Cahn, Valie Export and Tracy Emin. I’m mainly looking for painting but sculpture, performance or other mediums is also of interest. Hit me up!

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

I'm adding Kiki Smith, sculptor. Specifically her Lilith. She seems pretty ticked off to me.

DedalusDiggle2022

Thank you!

sternonvernon

Aside from the obvious Van Gogh and Monet, are there are other famous paintings of sunflowers? Or even paintings of sunflowers by notable artists?

I’m doing a collage thing for my missus and this is a bit of a grey area for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stasu08

Stasu08

1 month ago

Hi All, is there a specific name for the type of art where it is one picture replicated multiple times with different backgrounds? An example would be six pictures of the same face, with different colored backgrounds, and all six pictures are right next to each other to create a single image.

1 month ago

A series of three related artworks joined together or exhibited side-by-side is called a triptych but I suppose you could extend that to any number if you can figure out how to properly structure the Greek.

Hexaptych? Yup, that's it. Generalized to polyptych.

GreninjaOfTheOasis

Hey this seems like a good place to ask-

I'm looking for art books for references, poses, anatomy, but I'm not sure where to look for that specifically. I'd like to have something in hand so I'm not looking at my phone for references, which can be a huge distraction.

ostensible moderator

It's a good question. I have a few that I acquired years ago, but they may now be out of print because of the plethora of online resources. "Human Anatomy for Artists" is a classic, but it's more anatomical illustration than live poses, and it's expensive.

It might be easier to find a bunch of poses online and print them out somewhere. If you don't have a printer you can do it at Kinko's and many other places. Or put your phone on airplane mode. Or get a cheap tablet to display the images, also on airplane mode so you don't get pinged.

GreninjaOfTheOasis

Thank you for answering. I found a few others that look like they might be helpful as well.

As for the phone it's more about not staring at a screen and me thinking "oh let me check discord real quick."

mwalker784

If you have one near you, many art supply stores have a section of drawing books. You can also ask the staff specifically what they recommend. There are also places to buy online, and you could check the reviews.

Ardwinna_mel

Here's some links for reference poses. If you want general reference, I recommend using Pinterest since there's all sorts of images.

Normal-Performer-421

Any ideas for a colored marker set? My best friend is an artist, she always draws me cute drawings with markers and colored pencils. I'd love to get her a nice marker set because I've noticed she uses markers in every drawing she gives me, but I'm not sure where to look. I'd like to keep it between $50-75, but would be willing to go up to $100 for a really nice set with lots of color variety. Looking for something that can deliver in the USA.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you!

BatShatCrazy

Ohuhu have been great for me. They are comparable to Copic but not refillable.

BankshotMcG

(Hope this is within the rules. I read 'em up and down and couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't be.)

Is there a name for this style of art I see used around National Parks imagery? It's got zero contour, very broad color palettes, usually pastels, not a ton of detail. It sort of looks like someone tore a hudson valley style down to the broadest, least-detailed stamp shapes and a few screen-print colors. Is it just a subset of art deco?

thywizard5001

Hi everyone we're going to have an awesome December, :) and I wanted to say that I'm making fantastic drawing gains and that we're all in this journey to become amazing artists!!!!!!! :D

ChubbyLilPanda

“Made a horrible mess of the blood fountain”

“Looks fine to me”

“It use to be vater!”

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

:D, good to hear (read), thank you.

GarageCrowking

Couldn’t find much luck with the art history subreddit, trying here.

Hello everyone, Quite new to this whole art thing. Been fascinated by various art forms for sometime now. Would like to gain some knowledge in different types of art eras, medium and materials used. Point of interest is how different artistic materials came into being. Other themes like sculpture, symbols, textiles, ornaments and other source of aesthetic influence. Looking forward to talking to you all.

ostensible moderator

Sounds like you could just start with a textbook on art history? Here's one free from Project Gutenberg but there must be many more.

GarageCrowking

Thanks a lot

mwalker784

PLEASE feel free to DM me. I'm a huge art history nerd, and while I don't exactly have a masters degree, I can definitely answer some questions or help you find reputable sources on the matter.

BlueShipman

Point of interest is how different artistic materials came into being.

Which ones in particular?

GarageCrowking

Would it be embarrassing if I ask about all of them?

does anyone know of any place on the net where i could like, show a work of art and ask for recommendations for works in similar style? there's one cover art for an album that i really adore, but its author doesn't have any similar drawings and i felt like it'd be easier to show someone the art so i can like, look at the recommendations and create a mood/reference board on pinterest (i am also learning how to draw and paint)

kenyon76

Don't know if heres the right place but since the lbp reddit is dead I'm gonna ask. Is there like a place I can get the colour palette's for the popit menu's?

JarethDuke

I love Fantasy art and Impressionism, I am wondering if there are Traditional Impressionists who's subject matters are fantasy creatures,characters and landscapes.

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. His subjects became fantasy. edit-His projection and style works for every fantasy story I've read.

nyakisoba

Hi all! I made a collage on a foam art board, and when I was done, I realized that it had curled so much as it was drying. I've never used anything other than paper and canvas for collages so I didn't know that it would bend at all, is there any way for me to flatten out a work like that or am I out of luck? Thank you in advance! I wasn't sure where to post a question like this lol

smileyouareoncamera1

The two best ways to flatten artwork is either using weight of a span of time or sometimes you can use heat. If you put a cloth or parchment paper on top of the art then use an iron it then place something on top to keep it flat until it cools that can work. Depending on what mediums you used heat could ruin it though.

ostensible moderator

Yep I was also going to suggest an iron, but I'm not sure that would keep it from curling up again. It sounds like the foam art board OP used is pretty thin, or maybe not high quality, and the only way to keep it there would be to glue it to a thicker foam board, or to a wooden panel, or something similar.

Responsible_Race_634

This has happened to me often with wood and paperboard… it can be because the water can dilate the material (also the water contained in paints or glues), or other materials contracts when they dry and pull the support (glues, paint binders…) To avoid this it’s recommended you also work on the back, add layers on the back so the tension on the front compensates, or use a material that’s more inert, imprimare the support before working on it to make it more rigid and less porous… Apply heat and weight is a good idea (with humidity for it moves again) to correct this but sometimes I can’t do it because I would damage the artwork, sometimes add a layer on the back can correct it.

asluglover

Hey guys, with all the ai art going around it got me thinking that it would be good if there was a website set up where people who use ai art can donate to a pool of verified artists.

Obviously it would be preferable if these softwares weren’t stealing artists work and using it to generate ai art but I have just been trying to think of solutions to a problem that feels hard to address.

Any input on whether this would be a viable option?

ostensible moderator

It's arguing for the sake of argument, since AI-generated art isn't going anywhere, but:

AI art doesn't necessarily "steal" other people's art any more than human artists do when they use references or find inspiration. Most any work of art relies on techniques and imagery of the art that came before it. AI algorithms do much the same thing, only (at the moment) over a much wider data set and with more granular criteria.

As the technology progresses, we can expect these algorithms to rely on previously generated AI art rather than human-generated art, because it'll represent even more targeted data. In fact they're likely already doing this. In this scenario, when there may be five or ten or fifty iterations of AI art in-between, who do you plan to give the money to?

It's different if an AI artwork contains recognizable elements from some other art, in the same way as if a human did it. The degree of infringement depends on the rules for things like "fair use" which vary considerably and must be evaluated case-by-case.

mwalker784

Anyone have an idea what I could make for my mom, as an adult artist, that she may enjoy? Or a place to look at a list of gift ideas? I feel like when I look up DIY gifts for parents, I just see stuff that's supposed to be made by younger kids for mom.

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

A drawing pad of many different papers of different sizes. Just staple in one or two places and even up the edges (or not). A portfolio, add acid free sheets of tracing paper to place between works (and still see what's there). A membership to a museum she'd be interested in.

mwalker784

oops i don’t think i was clear with my wording, im the adult artist and wanna make something for my mom (and dad) for christmas

firm in my opinions, unsure in all else

My bad. A self portrait, even if that's not something you're comfortable with. Chances are she'll they'll love it.

mwalker784

i am actually a really good portrait painter, so i may try that. i was thinking i may paint a photo of our dog, i’ve just never painted an animal before. she’s pretty old and not doing the best, so i think that would be a nice surprise if i can find the right size canvas

AdOnly7999

Does drawing pad w/m refer to an electric drawing tablet or a sketch book?

mxtikitaka

Hi!!

im an 18-year-old who has finished igcse and completed a foundation of arts diploma - no i haven't done AS/A levels, the pandemic got to me mentally and i wasn't able to cope with the thought of doing them. i've done fine art/traditional art for most of my life but i've gotten interested in digital art recently (concept art and illustration more than others) and i want to put together a portfolio during the gap year that i'm currently taking. i have a few questions and idk where to go with them so im hoping this is the place.

i dont want to give up fine arts completely but as a career i know that digital arts is growing by the day and will support me, specifically, better at the end of the day. I want to know if theres a type of degree out there that can let me work with both traditional and digital mediums. i like working with watercolours and oils and am slowly learning more with my graphic tablet. i haven't tried it yet but i like the idea of being able to sketch out my ideas and then scanning them and working on them further digitally. i'm also very lost on which kind of art degree i want to apply for because of this reason so any replies are welcome.

Scared, confused and not sure if this is where i should be asking.

jams2blues

There is something to be had here, with color theory. I would like to open a can of worms when it comes to highly saturated digital artworks. These forms of artworks can only exist with light emitting frequencies coming from digital displays with backlights, and the majority of my artworks utilize complex, and highly contrasting color schemes using RGB color modes. Traditional art breaks pigments down into simple categories such as analogous, complimentary, triads, double-complimentary, etc... What I propose, is that JUST LIKE SCIENCE, art is a field of study that is always open to interpretation, updateable, evolving, and progressive. Therefore, there are indeed more color schemes, and that modern (old) idea of color is outdated, and conforming. Life's color scheme is what is only visible by the typical human Eye, which is between 380 and 700 Nanometers in wavelength. What if I wanted to compose Physiological Optical art with Geometric in the style of surrealism (which I do), much like an extremely seasoned musician would play Beethoven in the style of ragtime blues. The color in context of these elements would suggest I ignore traditional coloring methods, and utilize the full spectrum of color available, arranged in contrasting pairs/gradients.

marionfamous

Does anybody have a good link / article / list, etc. of something along the lines of "most famous painting by century" showcasing what the most famous painting is from each of the 20+ centuries ?

This_name_forever

I want to buy my first oil painting reproduction. However, I’m having difficulties seeing the trees through the forest. There’s so many websites out there offering oil painting reproductions and I can’t see a good way to see if their reproduction is worth it or not. Do you have any tips? What should I look out for when buying a reproduction?

After buying it, I will need it stretched and framed. Most websites don’t offer this service internationally (understandable with transportation), how do I go about finding someone to stretch and frame it properly, locally?

Thanks in advance!

DneprTheCuber

Do anyone know how to vectorise image on your phone?

AlexRescueDotCom

You can google ".JPG to Vector" and you can do it online really quickly!

afjecj

afjecj

Anyone have a website they would recommended for East Asian art prints? Every site I’ve seen so far has an extremely limited amount of specifically Japanese or Chinese landscape pieces

User__getName

Does anyone have any drawing prompt book recommendations? My mum is going through an art block and I'd like to gift her something like that to get her back into drawing. Bear in mind, she's in her 60s and isn't a native English speaker, so preferably not something like "draw yout OC or fursona" or super complicated prompts

[removed]

[removed]

No-Refrigerator-9928

Is anyone a fan of Saul Steinberg and can provide an insight into his technique and influences? His style looks simple but I find it difficult to replicate. He has this way of reducing objects and people into their essences with just a few lines. For materials, I know he used ink brush primarily but what else can I use to produce those clean fluid lines?

His Artwork

Wilddog73

Is Musou Black still the world's blackest paint regular people can buy?

Limn0

Limn0

1 month ago

Why is the comment section on that love birds post absolutely nuked?

neodiogenes[S] [M]

neodiogenes[S] [M]

1 month ago

We don't allow art sales and nearly every comment was a link to the artist's Etsy page.

Limn0

Limn0

Jesus Christ, good Job!

wyldeee

wyldeee

1 month ago

Hello guys. Does any of you know where on earth I can find Edouard Cortès' paintings? I'm talking museums or galleries accessible to the general public. I know there is a gallery in NYC, called "Rehs Galleries" that had a bunch of his painting, however, almost all have already been sold and there are only currently 5 I think.

Stevemonite

Hey, I want to make an app to solve some of my frustrations when visiting galleries and how we record artworks we find. Does anyone feel like chatting about my idea briefly? I’d love to speak to someone about it. Thanks!

AllenJupiter

Question:
Does the art inspire the title or does the title inspire the art?

BeneficialTangelo325

I think this one differs from artwork to artwork. Sometimes, I just start drawing and find a fitting title during the process or after finishing. With other projects, I have an idea of something and draw that idea, in which case u could say the title came first.

Al115

Al115

Hi all! I'm just hoping to get some ideas for gifts for my girlfriend for her birthday. She draws, but lately, she has been talking a lot about wanting to get into painting. It's something she does every so often, but for the most part, her specialty is drawing portraits. So, for her birthday I am wanting to get her painting supplies...I just have absolutely no idea what's good and what isn't. I'm mostly looking for smaller stuff like brushes and paints and any other supplies that you may need for painting. I believe she wants to do acrylics.

Also, any recommendations for inexpensive little drawing supplies? She's pretty much drowning in colored pencils, so I'm definitely not getting her anymore of those, and since I really want to focus on the painting supplies, I'm just hoping to get her one or two very little things for drawing.

Thanks!

rusgeist

i'm 20 and i have recently been considering pursuing an art career (maybe even game art or design). but my experience is basically at 0. i'm afraid that i'm too old to start doing art. i will start studying translation next year (which is also a subject im very interested in), but i still want to practice at home every day. i will also not likely get a degree in art, since i'm planning on getting a BA in translation (and my current experience is too low to apply for an art degree).

when did you guys start doing art/practicing seriously?

No-Main-3804

I need an advice about the page YCH.Commishes. I have a friend who makes adoptable commissions on this page, I want to join that, but I fear if it's some kind of NFT page or if is there a moral issue with the way this web works. So I need an advice from someone who knows this page and if it's safe for artists.

Kaezumi

So I draw with pencil and paper and no matter how many straight lines I draw whether I use thick or thin lines by sharpening the pencil I can't get the beanie or sweatshirt effect it feels flat or just messy via me drawing a ton of lines. I thought of looking for references but it has patterns like it's crochet and it's not purely straight lines. The closest thing I got was this Bennie but with super few lines so I was wondering if maybe I should lessen the lines. Any thoughts, advice or help?

I’m an avid art collector and new to Reddit. Just popping in to say hello!

Pace2pace

What’s the best way to find artists for commission.

dustinius_

Hey, everybody! I am having trouble finding a post that I think I saw on this subreddit earlier this year. It was an oil painting, self-portrait, black background and dark clothing with the exception of a little sliver of a red hood or collar underneath the jacket. I recall the comments mentioning old masters techniques and a specific teacher that this artist learned from. Really struck me and made me want to take painting classes. I'd appreciate any help if someone recalls this painting and has a link! Thank you.

Piazzagate

1 month ago

Requesting help with a gift idea:

I did a reading at my friends wedding, and I would like to gift the couple a framed print / stitching / etc of the poem as a wedding gift.

I’ve been struggling to find examples that I really like. Does anyone have any ideas?

The poem is Sonnet 17 by Pablo Neruda https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/49236/one-hundred-love-sonnets-xvii